The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 164 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 197Likes

post #4891 of 4901 Old 03-29-2017, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynch34 View Post
My center speaker died and wanted thoughts if anyone thinks this would match ok with my 3.7i's for a center speaker... I would add the ribbon upgrade to it..

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...n/horizon.html

As others have mentioned, the best center channel speaker to use with Magnepan mains is a Magnepan center channel. I used to use an Infinity IL 36c center channel speaker with my Maggie 1.6's and 1.7's. That Infinity was a substantial three way speaker with ceramic drivers, that worked very nicely. However, when I switched to a Magnepan CC3 center, the improvement was dramatic. The Magnepan center blends so much better with the Magnepan mains.

What happened to your CC5? That couldn't have been very old.
shivaji likes this.

Main system: Thiel 3.6 L/R speakers, Pair of Velodyne F1500r subs, B&W HTM center, Emotiva and Polk RTi 28 surrounds, Integra DHC 9.9 pre/proc, Pair of Emotiva XPA-1's, Emotiva XPA-5, Threshold SA/4e, pair of Threshold S/200's, Oracle Delphi TT w Magnepan Unitrac 1 arm and Shure V15 - Vmr, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP 83 optical disc player, Threshold T2 preamp, Denon DR-M44HX cassette, Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc. LG PF1500 led projector,Elite 100"tab tension-ed motorized screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 4901 Old 04-02-2017, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Boston Acoustics VR12, is an excellent budget center speaker, that I have used with 1.6 Maggies, and compared directly with Revel center speakers.

Used ones turn up regularly on Ebay for $80 - $250.
post #4893 of 4901 Old 04-21-2017, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 114
My accountant sent me this:

https://i.redd.it/wi35mjf9jbsy.jpg
DonH50 and DigitalShaman like this.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103 (Audio/Video Source), Oppo UDP-203 (Audio/Video Source), Sony PS4 (Audio/Video Source), LG OLED65B6P (Monitor)

post #4894 of 4901 Old Today, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Take the plunge

It has been a while since I posted anything on the forum. About a year ago I fell in love with a pair of 3.7i, but was about $4,000 shy of a purchase. I don't go into debt.

Recently I had a few dimes roll my way and as today (Monday) is a holiday, tomorrow I'll get the ball rolling. Last time I called my local Magnepan dealer and left a message he never returned my call. Maybe he thinks I'm not serious or ready to buy? I'll give him one more try, next closest dealer is 200 miles away, across a state line, and PA sales tax on $6,000 would be an additional ~$420.

I'm very willing to buy local, pay the sales tax have them deliver and set up my speakers, I'm just not willing to be treated like schyte by anyone for a $6,500 speaker purchase.

I have white walls, a long back wall with 120" wide of floor length white curtains. In theory white speakers would be invisible in front of the curtains. The walls are actually "eggshell" in color, the HT 90% black out curtains are "linen" in color, adding a third "off-white" that does not match either of the other two could clash. So I am ordering black speaker fabric. Better to contrast than near miss. Listening room is 14' x 22' with 8' ceilings. I'll start off with speakers 10' apart, 3.5'-4' away from the back wall. Toed in facing me.

Fabric options-
Off-white, black and dark grey.

Trim options-
(Wood) Natural or black solid oak, dark cherry.
(Aluminum) Silver, black, or gloss red.

I like almost all the trim options except the silver anodized aluminum, the red looks sharp if not "loud", I suspect I'll end up with dark cherry wood trim. The black trim on black fabric is also interesting to me.

I'll commit to a pair of 3.7i, but I also have some interest in a pair of DWM bass panels ($800 each), but I would not want to commit to them without listening to them in my house first. Hence my strong interest in my local dealer. I don't know that I'd be $1,600 happier with an added pair of DMW? The 3.7i are often presented/auditioned with a pair of DMWs. My amp is set up for 2 pair speakers.

Lord willing I will have the speakers paid for and ordered this week, then it will take how long the get the speakers here?

Power amp will be my recently refreshed Yamaha M2 Power amp (350W/ch at 4 ohms). I'll use my Oppo 105D as my DAC and pre amp. I have a Yamaha C4 pre amp, recently refreshed and tuned up but so far I've been OK using the Oppo DAC as both source and pre-amp (and it has a remote for volume and picking songs).

I have my CD collection in flac format, about 64,000 "tracks/songs" on a 1TB UBS drive which plugs into the back of the Oppo. I do have a TV and in theory I have a home theater but I am far less interested in HT than I am in my music. That could change, who knows?

Speaker wire is short, 5' of 12 gage monoprice "lamp cord" per side.

I know that we have other list members in Pittsburgh, when I get things hooked up I'll be inviting folks over for a look-see-listen.

I mentioned before that when I auditioned the 1.7i the temptation was to keep turning them up; in contrast with the 3.7i I found my self repeatedly turning the volume down. I could get all the presence and authority and nuance I was looking for at very reasonable listening levels. I'm guessing for now my 350w/ch will have to suffice.

Any last minute advise?

Last edited by Timothy Wright; Today at 05:53 AM.
post #4895 of 4901 Old Today, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Wright View Post
It has been a while since I posted anything on the forum. About a year ago I fell in love with a pair of 3.7i, but was about $4,000 shy of a purchase. I don't go into debt.

Recently I had a few dimes roll my way and as today (Monday) is a holiday, tomorrow I'll get the ball rolling. Last time I called my local Magnepan dealer and left a message he never returned my call. Maybe he thinks I'm not serious or ready to buy? I'll give him one more try, next closest dealer is 200 miles away, across a state line, and PA sales tax on $6,000 would be an additional ~$420.

I'm very willing to buy local, pay the sales tax have them deliver and set up my speakers, I'm just not willing to be treated like schyte by anyone for a $6,500 speaker purchase.

I have white walls, a long back wall with 120" wide of floor length white curtains. In theory white speakers would be invisible in front of the curtains. The walls are actually "eggshell" in color, the HT 90% black out curtains are "linen" in color, adding a third "off-white" that does not match either of the other two could clash. So I am ordering black speaker fabric. Better to contrast than near miss. Listening room is 14' x 22' with 8' ceilings. I'll start off with speakers 10' apart, 3.5'-4' away from the back wall. Toed in facing me.

Fabric options-

Trim options-

I like almost all the trim options except the silver anodized aluminum, the red looks sharp if not "loud", I suspect I'll end up with dark cherry wood trim. The black trim on black fabric is also interesting to me.

I'll commit to a pair of 3.7i, but I also have some interest in a pair of DWM bass panels ($800 each), but I would not want to commit to them without listening to them in my house first. Hence my strong interest in my local dealer. I don't know that I'd be $1,600 happier with an added pair of DMW? The 3.7i are often presented/auditioned with a pair of DMWs. My amp is set up for 2 pair speakers.

Lord willing I will have the speakers paid for and ordered this week, then it will take how long the get the speakers here?

Power amp will be my recently refreshed Yamaha M2 Power amp (350W/ch at 4 ohms). I'll use my Oppo 105D as my DAC and pre amp. I have a Yamaha C4 pre amp, recently refreshed and tuned up but so far I've been OK using the Oppo DAC as both source and pre-amp (and it has a remote for volume and picking songs).

I have my CD collection in flac format, about 64,000 "tracks/songs" on a 1TB UBS drive which plugs into the back of the Oppo. I do have a TV and in theory I have a home theater but I am far less interested in HT than I am in my music. That could change, who knows?

I know that we have other list members in Pittsburgh, when I get things hooked up I'll be inviting folks over for a look-see-listen.

I mentioned before that when I auditioned the 1.7i the temptation was to keep turning them up; in contrast with the 3.7i I found my self repeatedly turning the volume down. I could get all the presence and authority and nuance I was looking for at very reasonable listening levels. I'm guessing for now my 350w/ch will have to suffice.

Any last minute advise?
I have 3.6 black speakers with black wood. I built a white cabinet for components, a center CCR speaker (black fabric), and as a platform to
raise the 65" LG OLED to the same height as the speakers. Since the screen is black and the speakers are black, having them at the same height makes it a single unit wrapping around the white cabinet. It also tames the large OLED screen. The black and white theme looks very sharp. I have light colored fabric on the surround speakers including two 1.7 speakers as sides and two wall mounted MC1 rear speakers. These disappear into the wall color. Behind the 3.6 front speakers, I made acoustic treatment panels of Owens Corning solid insulation panels and covered them with Magnepan light fabric, which also blends into the wall color. If you are not including a black TV screen, I suggest the light fabric all around. It does tend to disappear into the wall color. I would send pics if I were home. I have had good luck buying used Magenpan speakers, especially if you can pick them up. They seem to be well cared for. I think sending a complaint email to Magnepan regarding the dealer will get quick results.
post #4896 of 4901 Old Today, 11:53 AM

KMiller posted a very long and helpful letter about his experience with DWMs and his 3.7i used together in the same room. I think he talked me out of a pair of DWMs. (thank you)

A lot of maggie owners seem to like pairing them with Rhythmik subs. My main interest is music reproduction not home theater, I don't need to back nails out all over my house, or reproduce the sound of depth charges. A moderate amount of accurate bass would be just fine thank you.

Rhythmik subs are self powered?

Any specific model recommendations?

oneartist was kind enough to make some trim suggestions, I've enclosed two photos of my TV/stereo to give a better image of what I have now.

RE domestic Cats and Magnepan speakers, I have a very well behaved service dog named Christopher whom I love but if any cat scratched my magnepans I'd call Agway for a extra heavy duty cattle prod. (Peace)

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Living room 2 small.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	2161410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Living room 1 small.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	2161418  
post #4897 of 4901 Old Today, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 488
In the right set-up 3.7s can work well without a subwoofer or Magnepan bass panels. I like my bass to go into the teens but at levels that work with the Magnepans. I'd wait and try them first. In an exceptional room, you'll play them half the time without a sub turned even on.

Oh, you will want to plug in your pre-amp and use it. The 3.7s are very reveling and you may not get good results running direct drive from your source.

Wires will make a difference, if you find the zip cord too "zippy" I can head you in the right direction.

Do you even 2 channel, Bro?
You Can't EQ Quality into a Loudspeaker
post #4898 of 4901 Old Today, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked: 1545
I'd skip the DWM's initially. They can add some bass oomph that is nice but adding another pair of dipoles can be a nightmare to get set up properly.

I paired my Maggies with Rythmik F12's and personally would not give them up for an all-music system. I first got subs long before the whole HT bit; there is a lot of LF content in a lot of music that I miss without good subs. Note Maggies, like all panels (and any speakers for that matter but panels tend to be worse), distort heavily when driven by large LF signals.

The vast majority of subs today include their own amplifier, Rythmik included.

Expect to spend some time dialing in placement. My guess is you'll want them a little further into the room and a bit less toed-in. You may end up with additional sound treatment but always easy to start as-is and tweak from there. That looks like a pretty "live" room so you might want to use the tweeter resistor to tame the ribbon a bit.

Your amp will be fine. I tend to agree with using the preamp just for more control but start with what you have and see how you like them.

Magnepan is very sensitive to customer service. They do not "do" email but a call will get a lot of action.

FWIWFM - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

Last edited by DonH50; Today at 05:17 PM.
post #4899 of 4901 Old Today, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2248 Post(s)
Liked: 3047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Wright View Post

Fabric options-

Trim options-

Any last minute advise?
I was fortunate with my Magnepan dealership. Great guys (who exhibit Maggies at the local audio shows) that bent over backwards to help. They delivered and setup my 3.6, then spent almost 2 hours listening and chatting (no charge for delivery & setup). It’s unfortunate that your local dealer didn’t get back to you.

If it were me, I’d be looking into a “real” subwoofer over bass panels. Much of the music I play have very deep passages (pipe organs and/or synthesizers). If most of your music doesn’t incorporate extremely deep bass passages, the 3.7i’s should be quite impressive without a sub (or bass panels). Even with a sub, I use a very low crossover point (40 Hz). The Maggie’s bass panels present a unique, impressive bass by themselves and I didn’t want to lose that with a higher crossover point.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #4900 of 4901 Old Today, 06:07 PM

Thank you Russ69 and DonH50, I always get excellent and experienced advice here.

I purchased a Yamaha self powered sub and I never use it, My DQ10s speakers sounded and tested better without it. So I have a history of being disappointed with sub woofer purchases.

I spent a whole day doing research today, Willard (sp?) had a system at a show where he used a pair of DMW just simply wired in parallel with a pair of 3.7i speakers?

I don't know the 3.7i speakers I listened to sounded just fine alone.

I'm also rethinking the grill cloth color, I spent hours looking at 3.7i room photos with off white grill cloths and the looked fine with out perfectly matching everything else in the room.

I noticed some maggies have an oval base? Is that for smaller speakers only?

I have a uber clean Yamaha C4 pre-amp. Of course it has 3-4 turntable inputs, two tape loops, and a lot of other jazz I'll never use again. My only issue is that it has no remote. I could put it between the amp and Oppo and still use to oppo for volume control? Sounds half asp to me?

I'm looking for accurate more than oomph? I do listen to Bret Lewis, mostly percussion? Sometimes Howard Johnson and Gravity (tuba music), Ray Brown (upright bass). Those guys would be my worse "bass offenders.."

I am hoping the drapes behind the speakers is a good thing? Either side of 65"TV maybe 4' off the back wall, toed in to intersect 2' behind my head?

The 3.7i (24") will not be as wide as my existing DQ10 speakers (30.5"). I will be 6.5' away from either side wall. The room is 14' x 22' and the speakers are roughly at the 1/3 and 2/3 point on the long wall.

With my couch off the wall, the two speakers and my head will roughly form an equilateral triangle. The floor is hard wood, except for the drapes all the walls are mostly bare plaster. There is not much in the room to absorb sound waves.

I always listen sitting down, my dog may have better hearing than I do but he is easy to please. 99.99% of the time I'll be the only human listening.
post #4901 of 4901 Old Today, 06:15 PM

dsrussell:

I can barely see well enough to type, the trees must out fornicating again. Tree pollen will be the death of me.

I'll give the local dealer one more try, I want his help and I am willing to pay for it. I just have no interest in playing games.

Thank you,

Timothy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7