The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 168 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 209Likes

post #5011 of 5023 Old Today, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked: 1612
For me the step from two to five speakers (plus subs) was large in terms of a better movie experience. The center and surrounds really added to the immersive sound experience. There are also multi-channel audio recordings that sound good in surround sound. The step to seven speakers was less, probably because not many movies mixes seem to take advantage of the extra channels, plus I tend to be pretty uncritical when it comes to movie sound. No experience with height/wide speakers and no plans at this time. So IME/IMO if you like movies then a 5.x system is a big improvement.

As for this: "Any movie event where the speakers out number the humans seems uncomfortable to me." -- Just have to note that stereo listening is often two speakers, often plus sub, to one listener... Jez' sayin'

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5012 of 5023 Old Today, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Wright View Post
I've never been a huge fan of home theater, that's not entirely accurate. It may be better to say I never felt the need for a 5.1 , 7.1 or a 13.3 THX system. Any movie event where the speakers out number the humans seems uncomfortable to me. I always placed multi-channel receivers a tier or three below 2 channel separates fidelity wise and placed home theater speakers a notch or three below music speakers with respect to musical fidelity.

A funny thing happened yesterday, I rented "Beauty and the Beast" (2016) and while the movie left me indifferent I did enjoy the sound and or music of the movie on my 2 channel MG 3.7i speakers. I wish I had rented the Blu-Ray not the DVD, the video detail could have been a whole lot better.

I'm still not sure I need 9 more speakers to watch a movie.
Plenty of high quality/HiRes 5.1 surround sound music to hear and you're missing out if you never experience this.
post #5013 of 5023 Old Today, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 7
A local gentleman is selling 3.7i three month old. He's willing to do a 1.7i + cash trade with me. But it's really the size and weight of 3.7i make me not to pursue the deal. I just cannot move them around easily by myself, and put them at the same location where the 1.7i's currently are

I had 7.2, then 5.2, then down to 2.2 or 2.1. I only watch movies occasinally.

post #5014 of 5023 Old Today, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 25
ATX2014> A local gentleman is selling 3.7i three month old.

I needed help getting my 3.7i speakers into my home. Boxed together a pair weighs 150 lbs and while well boxed one does want to treat the speakers gingerly.

Once out of the box and upright I offer that the size difference should be a non-issue. Acoustically I far prefer the larger speakers, you need to hear them first to make an informed decision.

What would worry me is the upstream electronics, the amps and pre amps. If you don't have clean and powerful 4 ohm friendly electronic stuff maybe now is not the time?

laserjock II> Plenty of high quality/HiRes 5.1 surround sound music to hear and you're missing out if you never experience this.

You maybe 100% correct. Some of the music I loved on my old speakers; I still like the music I just wish it was recorded better. I have a whole lot of Angel, Chesky, Reference Recording, Sheffield labs, Linn and Telarc CDs. Some of them are setup for multi channel.

DonH50> As for this: "Any movie event where the speakers out number the humans seems uncomfortable to me." -- Just have to note that stereo listening is often two speakers, often plus sub, to one listener... Jez' sayin'

Have to adjust for my dog who thinks he is human. His favorite part of any liturgy is the Sign of Peace when he gets to run around and make friends with other humans.

Last edited by Timothy Wright; Today at 03:32 PM.
post #5015 of 5023 Old Today, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
....I still like the music I just wish it was recorded better...
This is a topic with strong opinions. As your system reaches closer and closer to being super critical, some recordings can become almost unlistenable. My goal has always been to not push too far and make sure you can still play and enjoy the music you like.
As an example. I was listening to a baseball game last night and had my stereo system turned on. The guys were bumping the microphone, tapping the table, kicking the chairs, and it had some consistently awful background noise I could not identify. My system was accurately reproducing everything in the broadcast but you get the good with the bad...so sometimes less is more.

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
post #5016 of 5023 Old Today, 09:31 AM

speakers first electronics second. if i do get the speakers i'll go get the matching electronics. can also get initial hands to move the stuff in as i did with my 1.7i's. the thing is after measurement, the extra height of 3.7i's is a problem for me to place them where I want ... see pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File Jun 22, 11 01 19 AM.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	2199129  
post #5017 of 5023 Old Today, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I've never been a huge fan of home theater, that's not entirely accurate. It may be better to say I never felt the need for a 5.1 , 7.1 or a 13.3 THX system. Any movie event where the speakers out number the humans seems uncomfortable to me. I always placed multi-channel receivers a tier or three below 2 channel separates fidelity wise and placed home theater speakers a notch or three below music speakers with respect to musical fidelity.

A funny thing happened yesterday, I rented "Beauty and the Beast" (2016) and while the movie left me indifferent I did enjoy the sound and or music of the movie on my 2 channel MG 3.7i speakers. I wish I had rented the Blu-Ray not the DVD, the video detail could have been a whole lot better.

I'm still not sure I need 9 more speakers to watch a movie.

I've been a fan of some sort of surround speakers, even with music, since the 70's when I used a dynaquad device to set up four of the large original Advents . Surround sound has come a long way since then..I went with an Advent Soundspace control in about 1978 that gave me digitally derived adjustable surround channels. That was replaced with a much better sounding Yamaha DSP 1 in the 80's. The surround sound we have today for music is an offshoot of the movie sound decoders. I generally use a Dolby pro logic IIx - Music setting derivative on my preamp/processors today when listening to music. Magnepans , by virtue of their design, do a better job with image depth and ambience, than most speakers, but I enjoy using surround channels with music even with them.

Main system: Thiel 3.6 L/R speakers, Pair of Velodyne F1500r subs, B&W HTM center, Emotiva and Polk RTi 28 surrounds, Integra DHC 9.9 pre/proc, Pair of Emotiva XPA-1's, Emotiva XPA-5, Threshold SA/4e, pair of Threshold S/200's, Oracle Delphi TT w Magnepan Unitrac 1 arm and Shure V15 - Vmr, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP 83 optical disc player, Threshold T2 preamp, Denon DR-M44HX cassette, Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc. LG PF1500 led projector,Elite 100"tab tension-ed motorized screen.
post #5018 of 5023 Old Today, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked: 1612
Multichannel music is something still very new to me but I really liked it (before losing my ability to play SACDs -- can still do the DVD/BD video recordings, however). I found the additional speakers usually made a very pleasant listening experience. Of course there are still bad recordings and mixes around, but even the derived schemes sound good on a lot of music.

Just as an aside, I have been using the Dolby Neo:6 music mode lately, and prefer it to PLIIx. Give it a listen if you have it.

Maybe I should pull out my TT and play that old quadraphonic Pink Floyd album, hmmm... Probably not.

As an even further outside aside: One of the bands I used to play in was run by Floyd Frame (R.I.P. -- great guy). Never got around to asking him if he was related to Pink.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5019 of 5023 Old Today, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Russ69> This is a topic with strong opinions.

I'll admit I enjoy kicking the can, I enjoy lively and free exchange of ideas. I'm Irish so every extended family meal is a healthy Donnybrook. To be completely honest and unguarded is the mark of highest respect and how people learn from one another.

-

Russ69> I was listening to a baseball game last night and had my stereo system turned on. The guys were bumping the microphone,

The Pittsburgh Steelers for many years had an announcer named Myron Cope. He was a very well respected decent human being but he had a very grating nasal tone to his voice. For home games I would turn the sound off on the TV or watch on TV while I listened on the radio.

--

Atx2014> the extra height of 3.7i's is a problem

Now I remember now the details of your room lay out.

** I am told that the 1.7i and the 3.7i and even the 20.7 have about the same requirements electronically. One could hook a pair of 1000w mono block Class'e amps to your 1.7i speakers. You would not be the first to do this. It would be a temporary over kill situation.

---

strindl > I've been a fan of some sort of surround speakers,

I am trying to explain not pick a fight so please be patient with me. I've always had more taste than money, I've always purchased better components than I could easily afford. Thus stretched beyond my means my focus has always been on better rather than more. My recent purchase of 3.7i speakers represents at least a years worth of my disposable income. Would I rather have (2) pair of 1.7i speakers and a pair of DMW for a surround system? In my case I'd rather have a pair 3.7i speakers, for me fewer is better than more.

I know some people have speakers built into the walls, a $10,000 screen that retracts into the ceiling and a 30'x40' dedicated HT room with 25 seats and a popcorn machine the servants take care of. I can't afford any of that.

Fact is everyone has some financial constraints. I argue within any budget there are trade offs. I've never listened to a Krell or Mark Levinson amps but for the sake of argument let us agree they are perfection on earth. Would you rather own a Krell amp or an 13.3 THX receiver?

----

Yesterday I dropped off both my Yamaha C4 pre amp and my DBX 20/20 RTA for repair. As much as I like the remote on my Rotel pre amp I wonder what my speakers might sound like with the Yamaha pre amp?
post #5020 of 5023 Old Today, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Multichannel music is something still very new to me but I really liked it (before losing my ability to play SACDs -- can still do the DVD/BD video recordings, however). I found the additional speakers usually made a very pleasant listening experience. Of course there are still bad recordings and mixes around, but even the derived schemes sound good on a lot of music.

Just as an aside, I have been using the Dolby Neo:6 music mode lately, and prefer it to PLIIx. Give it a listen if you have it.

Maybe I should pull out my TT and play that old quadraphonic Pink Floyd album, hmmm... Probably not.

As an even further outside aside: One of the bands I used to play in was run by Floyd Frame (R.I.P. -- great guy). Never got around to asking him if he was related to Pink.
I'll give the Dolby Neo:6 a try tonight. I've seen that as an option on my pre amp processors but never really gave it a serious audition. Some of the best sound I've heard has been from DTS 5.1 music disks that were around for a while back in the late 90's. There are a couple Diana Krall ones that are stunningly good. They are discrete 5.1 channel and will play on any system that has DTS 5.1 capability. I rip my music to a server on one of my computers in lossless format, and the DTS encoding follows along to the ripped copy just fine. When I select one of those discs, the surround decoder shifts to DTS 5.1 decoding. I'm not sure if those types of recordings are still available or not, I haven't bought one for over a decade. I never bought an SACD, but do have a selection of DVD -Audio discs that offer discrete multi channel surround sound.

Main system: Thiel 3.6 L/R speakers, Pair of Velodyne F1500r subs, B&W HTM center, Emotiva and Polk RTi 28 surrounds, Integra DHC 9.9 pre/proc, Pair of Emotiva XPA-1's, Emotiva XPA-5, Threshold SA/4e, pair of Threshold S/200's, Oracle Delphi TT w Magnepan Unitrac 1 arm and Shure V15 - Vmr, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP 83 optical disc player, Threshold T2 preamp, Denon DR-M44HX cassette, Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc. LG PF1500 led projector,Elite 100"tab tension-ed motorized screen.
post #5021 of 5023 Old Today, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
This is a topic with strong opinions. As your system reaches closer and closer to being super critical, some recordings can become almost unlistenable. My goal has always been to not push too far and make sure you can still play and enjoy the music you like.
As an example. I was listening to a baseball game last night and had my stereo system turned on. The guys were bumping the microphone, tapping the table, kicking the chairs, and it had some consistently awful background noise I could not identify. My system was accurately reproducing everything in the broadcast but you get the good with the bad...so sometimes less is more.

Yep

"some recordings can become almost unlistenable"

A good example is one of my favorite performances ever, DSOTM. Try that one on your run of the mill ESLs. Just horrible. Talk about a speaker ripping a recording to shreds. Sad really.

I have I think every version out there and none of them are really worth a s**t. The best of them, and that's not saying much is

post #5022 of 5023 Old Today, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Russ69> T

Fact is everyone has some financial constraints. I argue within any budget there are trade offs. I've never listened to a Krell or Mark Levinson amps but for the sake of argument let us agree they are perfection on earth. Would you rather own a Krell amp or an 13.3 THX receiver?

The speakers I've preferred over the years, Magnepan certainly included, always seem to be the ones that need more real power than a receiver has to offer. I did own a Pioneer SX 1980 back in 1979 that actually did drive my Magnepan Tympani Id's very very well. That one was a 78 pound two channel receiver with some real guts...rated at 270 real watts per channel at 8 ohms. That was the last receiver I've used though. My all Magnepan surround system in my living room uses 1.7's for the front, a CC3 center channel and MMG's for the rear. I use that system 99% for music and I love what that does with a well recorded piece of music. It does take some beefy amps to sound it's best though. I use a Threshold S500e rated at 500 watts per channel at 4 ohms for the mains, a bridged Adcom GFA 555 series II rated at 600 watts at 4 ohms for the center channel, and an Adcom GFA 2535 four channel amp, using two channels only, that delivers 90 watts per channel at 4 ohms for the mmg rears. I can spend hours in my recliner enjoying the sound that system creates,

post #5023 of 5023 Old Today, 09:05 PM

Just searched, Pioneer SX 1980 is a heck of a receiver, one of the most powerful ever manufactured. still valued a lot in the used market. How do you compare it with your current amps? it's a stereo receiver i'd think it's almost like a 2-channel amp. I'd only imagine it's as good as your current amps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7