The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 174 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 230Likes

post #5191 of 5201 Old 08-10-2017, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digity8 View Post
What is the general consensus for people running non-magnepan center channels/surrounds? Does it work smoothly? I'm running a pair of the newer .7s and want to see what people are using for non-magnepan center channel use. Thanks!!
I'm using a center with a Linaeum thin-film tweeter for my 1.7s. Long out of production, it's no CC3, but it manages to keep up pretty well. Since it's in a center speaker, it's a monopole, not a dipole like other implementations of the Linaeum, but it has wide horizontal dispersion.

Now if i can only get around to finishing up the home-spun diffusors for the 1.7s, I think the whole set up will improve.

Cybernetic Metaphysician to the Stars, the Barristers, and the Telephone Actresses

Last edited by Metaphysician; 08-10-2017 at 08:02 AM. Reason: addendum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 5201 Old 08-10-2017, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysician View Post
I'm using a center with a Linaeum thin-film tweeter for my 1.7s. Long out of production, it's no CC3, but it manages to keep up pretty well. Since it's in a center speaker, it's a monopole, not a dipole like other implementations of the Linaeum, but it has wide horizontal dispersion.

Now if i can only get around to finishing up the home-spun diffusors for the 1.7s, I think the whole set up will improve.

I have a pair of small speakers that use a linaeum tweeters and that tweeter is surprisingly nice sounding. Which model do you have? Radio Shack, years ago, sold a few custom speakers under their Optimus brand that used that tweeter. I bought a pair of their Optimus LX5's when they had them on a great sale back in the early 90's. They have a cast metal case for the 5" woofer with a linaeum tweeter mounted on top protected by a metal cage around it. The tweeter has 360 degree dispersion. I recall paying 100 bucks for the pair when the normal price was $149 each.

I've had them hooked to my main system sitting on top of the Thiel 3.6's that normally are the main front speakers. Using an appropriately adjusted pair of subwoofers with them, the LX5's don't produce much of any bass on their own, the sound was very nice, with a nice deep soundstage. I never heard much in the way of press about those linaeum tweeters but they are a very interesting design and one that can sound very good.

Main system: Thiel 3.6 L/R speakers, Pair of Velodyne F1500r subs, B&W HTM center, Emotiva and Polk RTi 28 surrounds, Integra DHC 9.9 pre/proc, Pair of Emotiva XPA-1's, Emotiva XPA-5, Threshold SA/4e, pair of Threshold S/200's, Oracle Delphi TT w Magnepan Unitrac 1 arm and Shure V15 - Vmr, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP 83 optical disc player, Threshold T2 preamp, Denon DR-M44HX cassette, Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc. LG PF1500 led projector,Elite 100"tab tension-ed motorized screen.

Last edited by strindl; 08-10-2017 at 11:10 PM.
post #5193 of 5201 Old 08-11-2017, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post
I have a pair of small speakers that use a linaeum tweeters and that tweeter is surprisingly nice sounding. Which model do you have? Radio Shack, years ago, sold a few custom speakers under their Optimus brand that used that tweeter. I bought a pair of their Optimus LX5's when they had them on a great sale back in the early 90's. They have a cast metal case for the 5" woofer with a linaeum tweeter mounted on top protected by a metal cage around it. The tweeter has 360 degree dispersion. I recall paying 100 bucks for the pair when the normal price was $149 each.

I've had them hooked to my main system sitting on top of the Thiel 3.6's that normally are the main front speakers. Using an appropriately adjusted pair of subwoofers with them, the LX5's don't produce much of any bass on their own, the sound was very nice, with a nice deep soundstage. I never heard much in the way of press about those linaeum tweeters but they are a very interesting design and one that can sound very good.

I have 4 of the PRO-LX5 II and the center is the PRO-CS55, which has 2- 5" polypropylene woofers plus the Linaeum tweeter in monopole version with 180° dispersion. The II version had been relabeled with RCA. With a Cambridge Soundworks 12" sub, it was fine 5.1 for movies. Like you, I got the RS speakers for a fraction of their original price. Since the arrival of the Maggie 1.7s, I still use the rear channel PRO-LX5 IIs but unhooked the sub.

I heard the original Linaeum speakers, (very high end) at a major Stereo show in NYC, waaaay back in the day. Phenomenal Sound! That's also where I heard the mindblowing Infinity Reference Standard V, so it must have been the mid 80's. That Linaeum had been able to cut a deal with Radio Shack boogled every one's mind, but it still wasn't able to keep them afloat, long-term.

I'd previously owned a pair of much smaller Infinitys, and the LX-5s don't quite live up to those lovely EMIT tweeters, but they were the next best thing. Except for my first Maggies, the IIBs that I was able to purchase courtesy of a timely car accident settlement!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40-5007.jpg (9.1 KB, 11 views)

Cybernetic Metaphysician to the Stars, the Barristers, and the Telephone Actresses

post #5194 of 5201 Old 08-12-2017, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sometimes I read up on fast sporty cars even though I can't afford them, fit in them nor get in and out of them anymore.

Sometimes I look at expensive homes for sale, not that living alone I need 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms and I am confused why guest/child bed rooms would need walk in closets and en suite bathrooms?

All these houses are pre-staged for sale, no room ever has a waste paper basket or a mop or a broom. One never sees a dog bowl on the floor or a crucifix on any wall.

The problems of the wealthy. so perfect it is a wonder they need a toilet.

Well today is a special day, I saw one million dollar home that not only had speakers but they were floor standing speakers!

I am uncultured about these things, I know expensive homes have useless light fixtures for show and all recessed lighting. Is the same policy in effect for speakers, everything is in the wall flush mounted? How does one optimize placement of in-wall flush-mounted speakers? Does the lady who chooses fabrics swatches also "design" where the speakers go?

Purchase enough expensive speakers, place them anywhere; then one needs Dolby Atmos to fix the whole mess?

Am I wrong to think this is a mess? I'm sure this can be done well, but by the same people who run the plumbing, set tile and pull wire?

System: (2) NASs with 40TB of movies and music; Oppo 105D DAT and optical drive; Rotel RC-1590 Pre-Amp; Yamaha M2 power amp; Magnepan MG 3.7i speakers; 65" Samsung TV
post #5195 of 5201 Old 08-12-2017, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Just picked up a 2-year old emotiva xpa-2 gen2. comparing to the denon 5803, maybe an imaginary tiny improvement? or not? anyway I'll use this setup for awhile. xda-2 gen2 DAC -> xpa-2 gen2 amp. I'm using the balanced connection. simultaneously I'm using the unbalanced output of xda-2 to feed the svs subwoofer.

also picked up a peachtree integrated the other day. got three extra amps to sell

Last edited by atx2014; 08-12-2017 at 01:59 PM.
post #5196 of 5201 Old 08-12-2017, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 25
@ atx2014

I know that Rotel tells owners never to connect both balanced and un balanced at the same time.

System: (2) NASs with 40TB of movies and music; Oppo 105D DAT and optical drive; Rotel RC-1590 Pre-Amp; Yamaha M2 power amp; Magnepan MG 3.7i speakers; 65" Samsung TV
post #5197 of 5201 Old 08-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Wright View Post
@ atx2014

I know that Rotel tells owners never to connect both balanced and un balanced at the same time.
That would definitely apply to the inputs of a power amp, I'm not so sure about the outputs of a preamp though. I have both balanced and unbalanced outputs on a Threshold T2 preamp, and I use both at the same time for different purposes. It's worked fine for years.

Main system: Thiel 3.6 L/R speakers, Pair of Velodyne F1500r subs, B&W HTM center, Emotiva and Polk RTi 28 surrounds, Integra DHC 9.9 pre/proc, Pair of Emotiva XPA-1's, Emotiva XPA-5, Threshold SA/4e, pair of Threshold S/200's, Oracle Delphi TT w Magnepan Unitrac 1 arm and Shure V15 - Vmr, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP 83 optical disc player, Threshold T2 preamp, Denon DR-M44HX cassette, Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc. LG PF1500 led projector,Elite 100"tab tension-ed motorized screen.
post #5198 of 5201 Old 08-12-2017, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Thanks. I googled many emotiva guys are doing the same so I figured it should be fine

i guess there's improvement ... maybe just a feeling

my plan was to eventually get a high end amp ... but i'll definitely try before buy, making sure there's indeed an audible difference. as long as i find a reasonable justification i don't mind spending ... but it's just hard to justify ... now my decisions are mainly based on age, look, convenience ... not much sound e.g., i decide to keep the peachtree because it's convenient and it looks good ... in terms of sound they're all decent and comparable.
post #5199 of 5201 Old Yesterday, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
MG-1.5/QR SE - Grill Cloths Assembly?

Hello everybody,

I have two MG-1.5/QR SE here, but without the Grill Cloths (socks).
Now I would like to replace this socks, but I'm asking myself, how they did the assembly.
I searched a lot of fotos, but the Problem:
Above and below there are square wood, holding the distance between the socks and the mylar. The back is totally covered by the socks. And now the difficult part: The two wooden cheeks left and right cover the socks and hold the distance between the socks and the mylar simultaneously. It looks like the socks are in zigzag guided by the cheeks.

Has anyone replaced the socks? Detailed instruction, fotos?

Thanks in advance
Christoph
post #5200 of 5201 Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2258 Post(s)
Liked: 3088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Wright View Post
Sometimes I read up on fast sporty cars even though I can't afford them, fit in them nor get in and out of them anymore.

Sometimes I look at expensive homes for sale, not that living alone I need 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms and I am confused why guest/child bed rooms would need walk in closets and en suite bathrooms?

All these houses are pre-staged for sale, no room ever has a waste paper basket or a mop or a broom. One never sees a dog bowl on the floor or a crucifix on any wall.

The problems of the wealthy. so perfect it is a wonder they need a toilet.

Well today is a special day, I saw one million dollar home that not only had speakers but they were floor standing speakers!

I am uncultured about these things, I know expensive homes have useless light fixtures for show and all recessed lighting. Is the same policy in effect for speakers, everything is in the wall flush mounted? How does one optimize placement of in-wall flush-mounted speakers? Does the lady who chooses fabrics swatches also "design" where the speakers go?

Purchase enough expensive speakers, place them anywhere; then one needs Dolby Atmos to fix the whole mess?

Am I wrong to think this is a mess? I'm sure this can be done well, but by the same people who run the plumbing, set tile and pull wire?
Interesting post. Thanks for sharing. And yes, long gone are the days that brothers or sisters share a bathroom, much less a bedroom. And when I was a kid, I didn’t have enough clothes (or toys) to worry about closet space. Just stuff the clothes in a drawer. Bigger houses, bigger utility bills. It’s the American dream . Hell, I have a 4 bedroom home and it’s just me, but resale is better on a larger home, not that I’d resell it (bought it new in 1989). Hell, I don’t resell anything. I use it until it goes into the scrapheap.

I’m with you concerning speakers. I want to see the damn things. I want to position them and play around with the locations. If I wanted hidden speakers, I’d hardly choose Magnepan . Hell, they can dominate most any room. If I wanted a small sub, I wouldn’t have chosen PSA. And when I buy something, I want it to last a lifetime. So far, only my McIntosh equipment has provided that (my amp and preamp will be 40 years old next July … although I did replace the preamp because I wanted a new toy … dumb). But my 1997 Camaro still looks new and runs great (amazing what claying and waxing a car, keeping oil in it and garaging it will do), and even at my age I can still get out of it, but not quite as easy as when I bought it. My brother’s Corvette, on the other hand ….

But hey, we are all different in what floats our boats. And I rarely offer advice on what speakers to buy any more. I’ve found that it is completely useless, because what I seek in sound, others will seek something different, as they should. And those people that want the smallest speakers and subwoofer possible and are seeking cinema sound, all I can say is, "good luck with that".

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #5201 of 5201 Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Just found this thread because it was at the top of the list on the right hand side for active topics.

I am surprised to see a post about magnepans with soo much interest.

I acquired a set of MG-IIC with a lot of other equipment but do not need them and have had them listed on Craig's List for many months. I only want $200 which I feel is very fair for what they cost new, but nobody wants them. I guess I am stubborn to stand ground at that price- but I won't give them to lowballers.

I want them out of my garage though. If they don't sell this weekend, I am throwing them out- but I will sawzall them in half first so the vultures don't get them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page