The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 174 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 232Likes

post #5191 of 5212 Old 08-10-2017, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digity8 View Post
What is the general consensus for people running non-magnepan center channels/surrounds? Does it work smoothly? I'm running a pair of the newer .7s and want to see what people are using for non-magnepan center channel use. Thanks!!
I'm using a center with a Linaeum thin-film tweeter for my 1.7s. Long out of production, it's no CC3, but it manages to keep up pretty well. Since it's in a center speaker, it's a monopole, not a dipole like other implementations of the Linaeum, but it has wide horizontal dispersion.

Now if i can only get around to finishing up the home-spun diffusors for the 1.7s, I think the whole set up will improve.

Cybernetic Metaphysician to the Stars, the Barristers, and the Telephone Actresses

Last edited by Metaphysician; 08-10-2017 at 08:02 AM. Reason: addendum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 5212 Old 08-10-2017, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysician View Post
I'm using a center with a Linaeum thin-film tweeter for my 1.7s. Long out of production, it's no CC3, but it manages to keep up pretty well. Since it's in a center speaker, it's a monopole, not a dipole like other implementations of the Linaeum, but it has wide horizontal dispersion.

Now if i can only get around to finishing up the home-spun diffusors for the 1.7s, I think the whole set up will improve.

I have a pair of small speakers that use a linaeum tweeters and that tweeter is surprisingly nice sounding. Which model do you have? Radio Shack, years ago, sold a few custom speakers under their Optimus brand that used that tweeter. I bought a pair of their Optimus LX5's when they had them on a great sale back in the early 90's. They have a cast metal case for the 5" woofer with a linaeum tweeter mounted on top protected by a metal cage around it. The tweeter has 360 degree dispersion. I recall paying 100 bucks for the pair when the normal price was $149 each.

I've had them hooked to my main system sitting on top of the Thiel 3.6's that normally are the main front speakers. Using an appropriately adjusted pair of subwoofers with them, the LX5's don't produce much of any bass on their own, the sound was very nice, with a nice deep soundstage. I never heard much in the way of press about those linaeum tweeters but they are a very interesting design and one that can sound very good.

Main system: Thiel 3.6 L/R speakers, Pair of Velodyne F1500r subs, B&W HTM center, Emotiva and Polk RTi 28 surrounds, Integra DHC 9.9 pre/proc, Pair of Emotiva XPA-1's, Emotiva XPA-5, Threshold SA/4e, pair of Threshold S/200's, Oracle Delphi TT w Magnepan Unitrac 1 arm and Shure V15 - Vmr, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP 83 optical disc player, Threshold T2 preamp, Denon DR-M44HX cassette, Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc. LG PF1500 led projector,Elite 100"tab tension-ed motorized screen.

Last edited by strindl; 08-10-2017 at 11:10 PM.
post #5193 of 5212 Old 08-11-2017, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post
I have a pair of small speakers that use a linaeum tweeters and that tweeter is surprisingly nice sounding. Which model do you have? Radio Shack, years ago, sold a few custom speakers under their Optimus brand that used that tweeter. I bought a pair of their Optimus LX5's when they had them on a great sale back in the early 90's. They have a cast metal case for the 5" woofer with a linaeum tweeter mounted on top protected by a metal cage around it. The tweeter has 360 degree dispersion. I recall paying 100 bucks for the pair when the normal price was $149 each.

I've had them hooked to my main system sitting on top of the Thiel 3.6's that normally are the main front speakers. Using an appropriately adjusted pair of subwoofers with them, the LX5's don't produce much of any bass on their own, the sound was very nice, with a nice deep soundstage. I never heard much in the way of press about those linaeum tweeters but they are a very interesting design and one that can sound very good.

I have 4 of the PRO-LX5 II and the center is the PRO-CS55, which has 2- 5" polypropylene woofers plus the Linaeum tweeter in monopole version with 180° dispersion. The II version had been relabeled with RCA. With a Cambridge Soundworks 12" sub, it was fine 5.1 for movies. Like you, I got the RS speakers for a fraction of their original price. Since the arrival of the Maggie 1.7s, I still use the rear channel PRO-LX5 IIs but unhooked the sub.

I heard the original Linaeum speakers, (very high end) at a major Stereo show in NYC, waaaay back in the day. Phenomenal Sound! That's also where I heard the mindblowing Infinity Reference Standard V, so it must have been the mid 80's. That Linaeum had been able to cut a deal with Radio Shack boogled every one's mind, but it still wasn't able to keep them afloat, long-term.

I'd previously owned a pair of much smaller Infinitys, and the LX-5s don't quite live up to those lovely EMIT tweeters, but they were the next best thing. Except for my first Maggies, the IIBs that I was able to purchase courtesy of a timely car accident settlement!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40-5007.jpg (9.1 KB, 17 views)

Cybernetic Metaphysician to the Stars, the Barristers, and the Telephone Actresses

post #5194 of 5212 Old 08-12-2017, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Sometimes I read up on fast sporty cars even though I can't afford them, fit in them nor get in and out of them anymore.

Sometimes I look at expensive homes for sale, not that living alone I need 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms and I am confused why guest/child bed rooms would need walk in closets and en suite bathrooms?

All these houses are pre-staged for sale, no room ever has a waste paper basket or a mop or a broom. One never sees a dog bowl on the floor or a crucifix on any wall.

The problems of the wealthy. so perfect it is a wonder they need a toilet.

Well today is a special day, I saw one million dollar home that not only had speakers but they were floor standing speakers!

I am uncultured about these things, I know expensive homes have useless light fixtures for show and all recessed lighting. Is the same policy in effect for speakers, everything is in the wall flush mounted? How does one optimize placement of in-wall flush-mounted speakers? Does the lady who chooses fabrics swatches also "design" where the speakers go?

Purchase enough expensive speakers, place them anywhere; then one needs Dolby Atmos to fix the whole mess?

Am I wrong to think this is a mess? I'm sure this can be done well, but by the same people who run the plumbing, set tile and pull wire?

System: (2) NASs with 40TB of movies and music; Oppo 105D DAT and optical drive; Rotel RC-1590 Pre-Amp; Yamaha M2 power amp; Magnepan MG 3.7i speakers; 65" Samsung TV
post #5195 of 5212 Old 08-12-2017, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Just picked up a 2-year old emotiva xpa-2 gen2. comparing to the denon 5803, maybe an imaginary tiny improvement? or not? anyway I'll use this setup for awhile. xda-2 gen2 DAC -> xpa-2 gen2 amp. I'm using the balanced connection. simultaneously I'm using the unbalanced output of xda-2 to feed the svs subwoofer.

also picked up a peachtree integrated the other day. got three extra amps to sell

Last edited by atx2014; 08-12-2017 at 01:59 PM.
post #5196 of 5212 Old 08-12-2017, 02:34 PM

@ atx2014

I know that Rotel tells owners never to connect both balanced and un balanced at the same time.

System: (2) NASs with 40TB of movies and music; Oppo 105D DAT and optical drive; Rotel RC-1590 Pre-Amp; Yamaha M2 power amp; Magnepan MG 3.7i speakers; 65" Samsung TV
post #5197 of 5212 Old 08-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Wright View Post
@ atx2014

I know that Rotel tells owners never to connect both balanced and un balanced at the same time.
That would definitely apply to the inputs of a power amp, I'm not so sure about the outputs of a preamp though. I have both balanced and unbalanced outputs on a Threshold T2 preamp, and I use both at the same time for different purposes. It's worked fine for years.

Main system: Thiel 3.6 L/R speakers, Pair of Velodyne F1500r subs, B&W HTM center, Emotiva and Polk RTi 28 surrounds, Integra DHC 9.9 pre/proc, Pair of Emotiva XPA-1's, Emotiva XPA-5, Threshold SA/4e, pair of Threshold S/200's, Oracle Delphi TT w Magnepan Unitrac 1 arm and Shure V15 - Vmr, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP 83 optical disc player, Threshold T2 preamp, Denon DR-M44HX cassette, Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc. LG PF1500 led projector,Elite 100"tab tension-ed motorized screen.
post #5198 of 5212 Old 08-12-2017, 06:45 PM

Thanks. I googled many emotiva guys are doing the same so I figured it should be fine

i guess there's improvement ... maybe just a feeling

my plan was to eventually get a high end amp ... but i'll definitely try before buy, making sure there's indeed an audible difference. as long as i find a reasonable justification i don't mind spending ... but it's just hard to justify ... now my decisions are mainly based on age, look, convenience ... not much sound e.g., i decide to keep the peachtree because it's convenient and it looks good ... in terms of sound they're all decent and comparable.
post #5199 of 5212 Old 08-19-2017, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
MG-1.5/QR SE - Grill Cloths Assembly?

Hello everybody,

I have two MG-1.5/QR SE here, but without the Grill Cloths (socks).
Now I would like to replace this socks, but I'm asking myself, how they did the assembly.
I searched a lot of fotos, but the Problem:
Above and below there are square wood, holding the distance between the socks and the mylar. The back is totally covered by the socks. And now the difficult part: The two wooden cheeks left and right cover the socks and hold the distance between the socks and the mylar simultaneously. It looks like the socks are in zigzag guided by the cheeks.

Has anyone replaced the socks? Detailed instruction, fotos?

Thanks in advance
Christoph
post #5200 of 5212 Old 08-19-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 3095
Quote:
Sometimes I read up on fast sporty cars even though I can't afford them, fit in them nor get in and out of them anymore.

Sometimes I look at expensive homes for sale, not that living alone I need 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms and I am confused why guest/child bed rooms would need walk in closets and en suite bathrooms?

All these houses are pre-staged for sale, no room ever has a waste paper basket or a mop or a broom. One never sees a dog bowl on the floor or a crucifix on any wall.

The problems of the wealthy. so perfect it is a wonder they need a toilet.

Well today is a special day, I saw one million dollar home that not only had speakers but they were floor standing speakers!

I am uncultured about these things, I know expensive homes have useless light fixtures for show and all recessed lighting. Is the same policy in effect for speakers, everything is in the wall flush mounted? How does one optimize placement of in-wall flush-mounted speakers? Does the lady who chooses fabrics swatches also "design" where the speakers go?

Purchase enough expensive speakers, place them anywhere; then one needs Dolby Atmos to fix the whole mess?

Am I wrong to think this is a mess? I'm sure this can be done well, but by the same people who run the plumbing, set tile and pull wire?
Interesting post. Thanks for sharing. And yes, long gone are the days that brothers or sisters share a bathroom, much less a bedroom. And when I was a kid, I didn’t have enough clothes (or toys) to worry about closet space. Just stuff the clothes in a drawer. Bigger houses, bigger utility bills. It’s the American dream . Hell, I have a 4 bedroom home and it’s just me, but resale is better on a larger home, not that I’d resell it (bought it new in 1989). Hell, I don’t resell anything. I use it until it goes into the scrapheap.

I’m with you concerning speakers. I want to see the damn things. I want to position them and play around with the locations. If I wanted hidden speakers, I’d hardly choose Magnepan . Hell, they can dominate most any room. If I wanted a small sub, I wouldn’t have chosen PSA. And when I buy something, I want it to last a lifetime. So far, only my McIntosh equipment has provided that (my amp and preamp will be 40 years old next July … although I did replace the preamp because I wanted a new toy … dumb). But my 1997 Camaro still looks new and runs great (amazing what claying and waxing a car, keeping oil in it and garaging it will do), and even at my age I can still get out of it, but not quite as easy as when I bought it. My brother’s Corvette, on the other hand ….

But hey, we are all different in what floats our boats. And I rarely offer advice on what speakers to buy any more. I’ve found that it is completely useless, because what I seek in sound, others will seek something different, as they should. And those people that want the smallest speakers and subwoofer possible and are seeking cinema sound, all I can say is, "good luck with that".

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #5201 of 5212 Old 08-19-2017, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Just found this thread because it was at the top of the list on the right hand side for active topics.

I am surprised to see a post about magnepans with soo much interest.

I acquired a set of MG-IIC with a lot of other equipment but do not need them and have had them listed on Craig's List for many months. I only want $200 which I feel is very fair for what they cost new, but nobody wants them. I guess I am stubborn to stand ground at that price- but I won't give them to lowballers.

I want them out of my garage though. If they don't sell this weekend, I am throwing them out- but I will sawzall them in half first so the vultures don't get them.
post #5202 of 5212 Old 08-20-2017, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2205 Post(s)
Liked: 1802
Many folk shy away from very old speakers, and the trend is even worse for unusual and those known to exhibit problems as they age, so on one hand I am not surprised your ca. 1987 ('ish, right?) speakers are not getting any bites. But OTOH $200 is pretty inexpensive so I suspect the right person has just not seen the ad. You might try Audioholics, here on AVS, and/or some other audio-oriented sites where members know about Maggies and can appreciate what they are getting.

Magnepan has always been a "niche" company and seemingly wants to stay that way. One of its charms... And they still have quite a loyal following, have gotten some great recent reviews, continue to develop new models, and AFAIK if you want hear a pair of 20.7's you can visit Audio Research Corporation where they still use them for reference speakers.

HTH - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5203 of 5212 Old 08-24-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdubs View Post
Just found this thread because it was at the top of the list on the right hand side for active topics.

I am surprised to see a post about magnepans with soo much interest.

I acquired a set of MG-IIC with a lot of other equipment but do not need them and have had them listed on Craig's List for many months. I only want $200 which I feel is very fair for what they cost new, but nobody wants them. I guess I am stubborn to stand ground at that price- but I won't give them to lowballers.

I want them out of my garage though. If they don't sell this weekend, I am throwing them out- but I will sawzall them in half first so the vultures don't get them.

I have a ten and a half year old service dog, he has a vet bill from last night for $300 and I will be working with Ohio U for new never-before-tried treatments to improve his quality of life. After giving me me his whole life one day at a time there is nothing I would not do for him.

I restored my 30 year old Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers and may recap my 39 year old Yamaha amps, if just out of loyalty. - You recently acquired, you purchased cheap and had no real decades of relationship and faithful service or you could not speak of taking a sawzall to a set of maggies anymore than I would let anyone mistreat my old dog.

In the early 1960s when my father was working in a hospital my father was asked to be a sperm donor for an infertile couple. My father answered that he could not live day by day wondering if his child was somewhere hungry or mistreated. I could never have a dog with less than a forever home.

I'm not 100% sure if favorite speakers and amps have the same rights as sentient beings, but I know I could never take a sawzall to them.

I know a surgeon who looks at other people as spare parts, and parts are parts. He may be correct, there are some people may lack a heart or soul, or both.

My MG 3.7i speakers have a voice, a heart, and a soul, and I'll thank you to stay clear of them.
Scotth3886 likes this.

Last edited by Timothy Wright; 08-24-2017 at 03:50 PM.
post #5204 of 5212 Old 08-27-2017, 07:07 AM

I would like to apologize for being very rude and harsh to powerdubs. I have also been treated rudely by people whom I gave things to to help them, and found the recipients far less than grateful. I know well the vultures of which he speaks.

I was discussing this very topic with my deacon on Saturday and I was reminded that when Jesus healed the ten lepers only one came back to thank him. Jesus himself does not have a better batting average than I do. One might well argue that if Jesus came to earth just to be thanked he would have done far better staying in Heaven. He would have avoided a fair amount of discomfort in the process.

They tell a story about Gandhi, he was running to catch a train and as he climbed aboard he lost one sandal, so he removed the other and threw it from the train. When asked Gandhi answered that one sandal would not benefit himself but hopefully a pair of sandals would benefit someone else. Gandhi never got an engraved thank-you note over the sandal, or so I assume.

We should always make choices in our lives not based on the actions of others but based one who we are and the values we hold dear. Otherwise we give control of our lives to the vultures and worse.

There is nothing wrong about gratitude, I consider it not only an essential social grace but the beginning of all wisdom, and the bedrock of of an interior life. The problem with gratitude is when we come to expect it from others. It is not possible to make others more grateful, what we can and should do is strive to practice the virtue ourselves. I'll offer the argument that anyone with a pair of magnepan speakers in their home has a great deal to be grateful for in their privileged lives.

So Mr. Powerdubs,

mea culpa,
mea culpa,
mea maxima culpa,
Amen.

==============

Based on a recommendation from a friend I have been listening to a singer/songwriter named "Guy Clark" for some weeks now; but sadly not on my maggies. I will not argue that it is brilliantly recorded because in my truck I would have no way of knowing that. I will argue that he is the best singer/songwriter of a generation or two. I purchased his entire catalog and have no regrets.

Other essential singer/songwriter(s) who write lyrics to die for?

(in random order)

Carly Simon, Carole King, Cat Stevens, Isaac Hayes, Jackson Browne, Joe Cocker, John Hiatt, John Prine, Laura Nyro, Norah Jones, Phoebe Snow, Melissa Manchester, Stevie Wonder, Emmylou Harris, Glen Campbell, Hoyt Axton, Joan Baez, Odetta, Judy Collins, Leo Kottke, Richie Havens, Rosanne Cash, Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by Timothy Wright; 08-27-2017 at 07:16 AM.
post #5205 of 5212 Old 08-27-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
when I buy something, I want it to last a lifetime. So far, only my McIntosh equipment has provided that (my amp and preamp will be 40 years old next July … although I did replace the preamp because I wanted a new toy …
just wondering, did you recap your mcintosh amp? I was close in getting a 35 yo but great condition mcintosh but worried about recapping. got emotiva xpa-2 gen2 instead.
post #5206 of 5212 Old 08-27-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 3095
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx2014 View Post
just wondering, did you recap your mcintosh amp? I was close in getting a 35 yo but great condition mcintosh but worried about recapping. got emotiva xpa-2 gen2 instead.
No. I haven't had to do that yet. It still runs great. If and when that happens, then I'll replace them. There is just something about those huge, blue power meters ... . Hey, congratulations on the Emotiva. Seems like a great value, so enjoy.
dlynch34 likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #5207 of 5212 Old 10-09-2017, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2205 Post(s)
Liked: 1802
Magnepan 30.7 (yes, 30!)

Can't believe this thread has been idle for so long!

Here's something to discuss: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...aker-part-one/

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5208 of 5212 Old 10-11-2017, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Can't believe this thread has been idle for so long[/url]
It seems like when AVS entered into their new advertising products email program, personal comments slowed way down.
post #5209 of 5212 Old 10-11-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
We should always make choices in our lives not based on the actions of others but based one who we are and the values we hold dear.
"

You are Wright (sorry, I'm a punster). This became clear to me when I joined a group of guys to help a widow move. I had been part of other widow projects where there was the thankfulness and appreciation volunteers seem to expect. This moving experience was not the right kind of "moving experience" She bossed us around and was very rude. I did what was right based on what I believed, but there were no kudos. This left me less enthusiasm to repeat the experience. I let her change me and there were others who needed help who did not get my help because of the change. Thanks for the reminder to let good overpower bad.
post #5210 of 5212 Old 10-11-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I have a ten and a half year old service dog, he has a vet bill from last night for $300 and I will be working with Ohio U for new never-before-tried treatments to improve his quality of life. After giving me me his whole life one day at a time there is nothing I would not do for him.

I restored my 30 year old Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers and may recap my 39 year old Yamaha amps, if just out of loyalty. - You recently acquired, you purchased cheap and had no real decades of relationship and faithful service or you could not speak of taking a sawzall to a set of maggies anymore than I would let anyone mistreat my old dog.

In the early 1960s when my father was working in a hospital my father was asked to be a sperm donor for an infertile couple. My father answered that he could not live day by day wondering if his child was somewhere hungry or mistreated. I could never have a dog with less than a forever home.

I'm not 100% sure if favorite speakers and amps have the same rights as sentient beings, but I know I could never take a sawzall to them.

I know a surgeon who looks at other people as spare parts, and parts are parts. He may be correct, there are some people may lack a heart or soul, or both.

My MG 3.7i speakers have a voice, a heart, and a soul, and I'll thank you to stay clear of them.
I also had a cheap pair of MMG-W and a MMG center speakers hooked up to a generic Denon AVR. They were not very interesting. I bought a OPPO 105 and it was suggested that I connect the Magnepan speakers to a good 4 ohm amp. I had an old NAD amp in the garage. Using the 105 as a pre I connected the NAD in bridge mode to the MMG center speaker. Suddenly there were real live people and music in this cheap speaker. Many people never appreciate Magnepan speakers because they've only heard them connected to the wrong power.
post #5211 of 5212 Old 10-11-2017, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneartist View Post
I also had a cheap pair of MMG-W and a MMG center speakers hooked up to a generic Denon AVR. They were not very interesting. I bought a OPPO 105 and it was suggested that I connect the Magnepan speakers to a good 4 ohm amp. I had an old NAD amp in the garage. Using the 105 as a pre I connected the NAD in bridge mode to the MMG center speaker. Suddenly there were real live people and music in this cheap speaker. Many people never appreciate Magnepan speakers because they've only heard them connected to the wrong power.
I agree, I'm using a newer Marantz AVR for my .7s for left and right duties, they sounded much better with my old NAD 7240PE
post #5212 of 5212 Old 10-11-2017, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 266
With the separate 30.7 bass panels, Magnepan is less than one step away from offering a sub. I wonder if the panels are tensioned differently for Left/Right like the other models are to reduce room mode excitation.

Life is Lambertian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page