post #631 of 3683 Old 10-05-2009, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdv5 View Post

My recommendation to prospective buyers is to stop waiting for these "new products", and instead buy Magnepan speakers from their current catalog. They have the best value for sound quality, and they sound spectacular.

Can't argue with that! Maggies are the first home audio/HT product that I ever left and then went back to, just cause I missed that Maggie Magic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3683 Old 10-09-2009, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post

I had the chance to hear all of the Emotiva soeakers two weeks ago in Nashville at their "Emofest" . All of their speakers sounded really nice...the 8.3 towers didn't really even need a sub..they had nice deep bass all by themselves.

I have an Infinity SSW-210 sub that I can use with mi Magnepan 1.6's, but I frequently don't even turn it on and just run the maggies full range.

Hello are you interested in selling your SSW-210. I'm looking for a Black one to help complete an old school Infinity 7.2 system. Thanks for your reply,djay156.
post #633 of 3683 Old 10-15-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Attention Maggie HT owners, we are being dissed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goros View Post

I'd stick with avoiding them, unless you are using a circa 1996-1997 receiver to drive them. Then, by all means!

Even dolby doesn't recommend bipole/dipole anymore, it's dated technology which was created before things were recorded in a discrete 5.1 format. Now that stuff is true 5.1, those things won't accurately reproduce the intended sound because they rely on bouncing it around to fill a room. Bouncing = delays and other issues which really just suck.

I was sold on bipole/dipole as well before I came here and did some research and I actually returned the ones I bought and swapped them for front firing units.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1188161

Be seeing you!
post #634 of 3683 Old 10-15-2009, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

Attention Maggie HT owners, we are being dissed:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1188161

There is a lot of really good information here, and other sites like this one. Unfortunately, sifting through the personal bias, misinformation and outright nonsense can be challenging.

While this hobby is inherently subjective, we tend to state our opinions as though they were objective facts. Pretty much every post here should begin with "In my opinion".

As should this one
post #635 of 3683 Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 PM

The graphs I've seen show MMG at 1000 Hz with 1 watt in, to be 73 db at a distance of 10 ft.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...id=60697&stc=1
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...id=61069&stc=1
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MU...14/144932.html

Power chart: 100 watts 20 db
200 watts 23 db
400 watts 26 db

MMG distance calculations 1 meter 2.83 volts the sensitivity of 86 db.
MMGW distance calculations 1 meter 2.83 volts the sensitivity of 88 db.
Dampening cause by distance of 10 ft, room volume and absorption. 76db. and 78 db respectively.

The 4 EP1500 have have a potential of 26.8 combined amp output for 8 speakers. Each stereo amp. could draw 6.7 A (120 V~, 60 Hz) at 400w RMS in a 4 ohm load at 0.1 THD. The line size is 12 gauge, and the breaker is 15 amps at this time. I'm running 1 pair of MMGs and 3 pairs of MMG-Ws for surround sound in a 500 sq ft room. Speakers are FL FR RL RR SL SR HFL HFR. I know the surrounds won't require as much power as the as the MMG. I'm looking for about 96 db - 100db at the most from the system at 10 ft. Do you have an idea how many amps each amp pulls at 96 db? Do you have an idea how many amps each amp pulls at idle? Will this work without tripping the breaker? Any other comments will be welcome. I don't want to install a system without first finding the electrical line requirements.

Ray
post #636 of 3683 Old 10-16-2009, 10:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by djay156 View Post

Hello are you interested in selling your SSW-210. I'm looking for a Black one to help complete an old school Infinity 7.2 system. Thanks for your reply,djay156.

I'm not interested in selling the Infinity. It does a real nice job of mating with the maggies. Plus..mine has the oak cabinet. It also has the optional oak end caps that allow for some differing placements
post #637 of 3683 Old 10-19-2009, 06:42 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm strongly considering trying a pair of MMGs. My problem is that my current receiver (a Pioneer VSX-D514--100 Watts/Ch very sub-$500) probably isn't capable of driving them. I have a pretty small listening room, and almost all my use for this receiver would be for audio, not video. However, I do like surround sound for music (which is why I'm not going with a straight stereo receiver). I've done a lot of looking, and so far, I have been considering:

Denon 3310 CI
Onkyo TX-NR807
Denon 2310 CI

in descending order of cost. If you've got some, I'd like some advice on making this decision, or, if you have a good idea on another receiver, I'd like to hear about that too.

Thanks in advance!
post #638 of 3683 Old 10-19-2009, 08:56 PM

Liked: 22
MMG are quite possibly the best bargain in all of audio. I would encourage you to try them first with your existing receiver before spending money on replacement receiver. BTW, the receivers you listed are not going to be fundamentally different in their capability to drive MMG. If you want to try something different, then I would recommend getting a used Panasonic SA-XR700 or the brand new (and not yet available) Sherwood Netboxx receiver. In my experience, Class D amplification works really well with Maggies.

If you determine during the trial period that you like MMG enough to keep them (as most people do), then consider putting them on proper stands, e.g., Sound Anchors. In my experience, getting MMG off the floor and away from walls can improve their sound quality quite a bit (bass is less boomy and soundstage opens up).

For HT usage, you will need to augment MMG with a subwoofer especially if you want to reproduce the LFE channel (.1 channel in 5.1 set-up). If you cross MMG at 80 Hz, then your receiver will not have to work nearly as hard to drive them.
post #639 of 3683 Old 10-20-2009, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the advice, sdv5. I am a little nervous about this purchase, as it will require some changes to my listening room, but I have heard nothing but good things about MMGs for people (like me) who love high-definition sound rather than high-volume, big bass sound.
post #640 of 3683 Old 11-03-2009, 04:57 PM

Don't know if you guys heard, but the new Maggie Center is being "Soft Introduced" It has a ribbon tweeter and works like a 20.1.
You know what that means, probably sounds great.... BUT $$$$$$.
$3000 in black $3400 with Cherry finish.
The manual for the new "CCR" is on the Magnepan web site.
post #641 of 3683 Old 11-03-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullover2 View Post

Thanks for the advice, sdv5. I am a little nervous about this purchase, as it will require some changes to my listening room, but I have heard nothing but good things about MMGs for people (like me) who love high-definition sound rather than high-volume, big bass sound.

hey there....does your receiver have pre-outs? If so, just add an amp to the mix and keep ur current receiver. Maggies like lots of clean current, and a dedicated power amp is your best bet.

MMGs were how I fell in love with Maggies. I spent two years with them and loved every minute. As SDV said, they are one of, if not THE best bargains in all of audio.

Good luck!
post #642 of 3683 Old 11-03-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith944T View Post

Don't know if you guys heard, but the new Maggie Center is being "Soft Introduced" It has a ribbon tweeter and works like a 20.1.

That's awesome news!!
post #643 of 3683 Old 11-08-2009, 06:30 PM

Looking at the MG 1.6 (over the MMG).

My primary goal is music.. second being HT.

What sort of receiver should I pick up?

Also, can you buy the MG1.6 online for a discount or do I need to find a local dealer / contact the company directly?

How cheap can I pick them up?
post #644 of 3683 Old 11-08-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro81 View Post

Looking at the MG 1.6 (over the MMG).

My primary goal is music.. second being HT.

What sort of receiver should I pick up?

Also, can you buy the MG1.6 online for a discount or do I need to find a local dealer / contact the company directly?

How cheap can I pick them up?

Can't help with the 1.6 queries, but as far as receiver is concerned, if you really want to give the Maggies the power they want and need, while retaining HT bells and whistles without going broke, I suggest the following:

1. A recent-model receiver (Marantz, Denon, H/K) that has front preouts

2. A vintage 2-channel amp with lots of power (Carver, Phase Linear, etc.)

This combination will get you FAR more power without having to spend bazookabucks on a top model receiver.

In my main HT rig I'm running a Denon 2807 receiver with front outs to a Carver M-4.0t, and in my new exercise room I'm running a Marantz SR5002 with front outs to a Phase Linear 400.

Hint: check out the factory refurbs at accessories4less. I paid about $325 for the Marantz including a 3-year extended warranty.

Good luck!

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
post #645 of 3683 Old 11-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyharmonies View Post

Can't help with the 1.6 queries, but as far as receiver is concerned, if you really want to give the Maggies the power they want and need, while retaining HT bells and whistles without going broke, I suggest the following:

1. A recent-model receiver (Marantz, Denon, H/K) that has front preouts

2. A vintage 2-channel amp with lots of power (Carver, Phase Linear, etc.)

This combination will get you FAR more power without having to spend bazookabucks on a top model receiver.

In my main HT rig I'm running a Denon 2807 receiver with front outs to a Carver M-4.0t, and in my new exercise room I'm running a Marantz SR5002 with front outs to a Phase Linear 400.

Hint: check out the factory refurbs at accessories4less. I paid about $325 for the Marantz including a 3-year extended warranty.

Good luck!

I agree with this advice in general (receiver as prepro combined with a power amp for the 1.6s) but:

If your budget is tight for the amp you don't necessarily have to go with a vintage amp. You can also look at some of the ID companies for good deals on new amps. The two ususal suspects in this regard are Emotiva and Outlaw.

Though Accessories4Less does have some good prices, I'm not sure if they're authorized for most, if any, of what they sell. If they're not authorized, you won't get the manufacturer's warranty. They may offer their own warranty which may work for you, but I'd recommend checking it thoroughly to ensure they actually honor them in the event you need repair work... An alternative I'd recommend for the reciever is 6th Ave. You can mail order from them, they are authorized for most, if not everything they sell, and do offer good deals during their "name your price" email offers that occur fairly regularly. The AV Science Store is another good source.

As for obtaining new, discounted 1.6s from an authorized Maggie dealer, don't count on it. Maggie dealers rarely offer discounts and won't ship the speakers either unless you live far from any dealer (I don't recall what the distance limit is). In short, Magnepan has a very protective B&M dealer network. If money is tight you could try Audiogon for used 1.6s. They come up fairly often at decent prices. Further, used Maggies on Audiogon tend to be in good condition, as Maggie owners tend to take good care of their speakers.

I hope you find the products you're looking at the price you want!

Eric
post #646 of 3683 Old 11-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I took a quick look at the manual and did I read right that it only extends to 200hz on the low end? I'm sure the ribbon will offer some beautiful highs but 2K better than the CC3? The speaker size appears to be similar to a CC3 and I would guess that it uses a similar midrange driver. I suppose if I had the scratch for 20.1s (I don't) it wouldn't be a great financial leap to spring for the CCR but if I owned 3.6s, based on the specs in the manual I think I'd have to think twice about it personally.

Summa...?
post #647 of 3683 Old 11-08-2009, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

Though Accessories4Less does have some good prices, I'm not sure if they're authorized for most, if any, of what they sell.

Well, a little research goes a long way:

http://us.marantz.com/1614.asp

http://www.us.onkyo.com/locations_intdealer.cfm

They certainly look authorized to me. In fact, on the front of the accessories4less home page they clearly state which brands they are authorized vendors for.

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
post #648 of 3683 Old 11-09-2009, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The 1.6's do want lots of power to get really loud but I'm running mine with a vintage Yamaha RX-V3300 that's rated at 130WRMSx2 at 8Ω, with Dynamic Power per Channel at 250W at 4Ω . To me, it goes plenty loud without distorting but does get a bit warm at high volumes.

I would recommend the 1.6's over the MMG's any day. The highs are less "forward" and harsh and the lows are much better, allowing me to tone down the sub and lower its crossover point.

Be seeing you!
post #649 of 3683 Old 11-12-2009, 01:05 PM

After reading through this thread and doing some other fact-finding, I'm preparing to incorporate a NEW set of magnepan MMGs into my HT set-up. For the relatively low cost of these speakers, and the generous home demo time allowed on them, I figured I'd give them a shot. My current room set-up is a 17 x 18' space with a peaked ceiling.You can see the room layout here (with a possible placement of the MMGs)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...heatre_mmg.jpg

POWER Source: My receiver is a Marantz SR8100 (125W x7-Ch Discrete Amplifier), but since I'm running a 7.1 set-up, I thought it best to supplement the power to the front pair by adding an Emotiva UPA-2 two-channel amp (4 Ohms = 185 watts RMS per channel (2)).

I'm using an SVS PC12-NSD sub. My use is about 75% HT, 25% music.

Regarding the MMGs, any suggestions or comments about my proposed location (about 8 feet apart,; approx 2' from back wall; 4-5' front side walls.
Hardwood floor with a large rug under the seating area—about 1/2 the room)? I'm open to wall treatments behind the speakers— but never having used speakers such as these, I'm not sure if they benefit from it.
I'm excited about what these speakers can do—they will be replacing stand-mounted JBLs & center. I havent made the decision regarding a matching center for the MMGs, as I decided to wait and see how the pair alone sound.

thanks in advance for any tips, suggestions or advice!

Kevin
post #650 of 3683 Old 11-12-2009, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 405
I don't know if this has been posted but does anyone know(I am sure someone knows) how much power MMG's can take and how loud they can play? I am finally changing my system and I loved their sound but I can't remember if they can play reference levels or not(I never measured then). BTW guys, The MMG's are hands down without even consideration the best speaker for the price. I hate speakers that sound small and these do not sound like speakers. I remember they had great detail as well. I am using pro cinema speakers now which are fantastic but I love change.
post #651 of 3683 Old 11-12-2009, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post

After reading through this thread and doing some other fact-finding, I'm preparing to incorporate a NEW set of magnepan MMGs into my HT set-up. For the relatively low cost of these speakers, and the generous home demo time allowed on them, I figured I'd give them a shot. My current room set-up is a 17 x 18' space with a peaked ceiling.You can see the room layout here (with a possible placement of the MMGs)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...heatre_mmg.jpg

POWER Source: My receiver is a Marantz SR8100 (125W x7-Ch Discrete Amplifier), but since I'm running a 7.1 set-up, I thought it best to supplement the power to the front pair by adding an Emotiva UPA-2 two-channel amp (4 Ohms = 185 watts RMS per channel (2)).

I'm using an SVS PC12-NSD sub. My use is about 75% HT, 25% music.

Regarding the MMGs, any suggestions or comments about my proposed location (about 8 feet apart,; approx 2' from back wall; 4-5' front side walls.
Hardwood floor with a large rug under the seating areaabout 1/2 the room)? I'm open to wall treatments behind the speakers but never having used speakers such as these, I'm not sure if they benefit from it.
I'm excited about what these speakers can dothey will be replacing stand-mounted JBLs & center. I havent made the decision regarding a matching center for the MMGs, as I decided to wait and see how the pair alone sound.

thanks in advance for any tips, suggestions or advice!

Kevin

You may want to pull them further out from the back wall, but the best approach is to experiment and decide what sounds best to you. When placing them, consider toe in placement.

As for a center, I have MMG's and run with a phantom center and have no problems. Some have very strong feelings against doing HT w/o a center. That's something you'll need to work through.
post #652 of 3683 Old 11-12-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

You may want to pull them further out from the back wall, but the best approach is to experiment and decide what sounds best to you. When placing them, consider toe in placement.

As for a center, I have MMG's and run with a phantom center and have no problems. Some have very strong feelings against doing HT w/o a center. That's something you'll need to work through.

Thanks, David. I appreciate your opinion.
I plan on running with a phantom center for a while just see the effect.

I notice a number of folks here have also recommended using stands versus the standard maggie feet to improve the overall sound. How are yours situated?
post #653 of 3683 Old 11-12-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, David. I appreciate your opinion.
I plan on running with a phantom center for a while just see the effect.

I notice a number of folks here have also recommended using stands versus the standard maggie feet to improve the overall sound. How are yours situated?

I purchased some angle brackets to make them stand straight up. They cost me $15-$20 total (I forget exactly how much).

Some people swear by prefab after market stands which hold the speakers firm. They aren't cheap.

If you haven't already, check out this forum. There is a lot of great info, but IMHO, also a lot of audio myth presented as fact.
post #654 of 3683 Old 11-13-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Keith. I stand corrected given that Magnepan has after all released a new speaker, a CCR no less. However, I seriously doubt they will sell many of these. Admittedly, I haven't heard the new CCR. Based on specs alone and set-up instructions in the manual, CCR will be a tough sell.

It uses quasi ribbon midgrange, unlike CC3 that has regular mylar bass/midrange panel. Consequently, the frequency response is only 200 Hz at +/- 4 dB. That is puny. Hence, the elaborate set-up described in the manual that requires instructing your pre/pro that there is no sub at all. I would never want to set up my HT in this manner, as I believe that .1 LFE channnel should always to go to the sub and nowhere else.

The manual also mentions that CCR should be used with yet to be released mythical bass/midrange panel that can also serve as the stand for CCR. It is an implicit admission that CCR alone cannot possibly cut it as center channel. Perhaps, with the addition of bass panel, CCR could be used as conventional center channel that does not require unorthodox HT set-up.

As a final note, a curved true ribbon is a tall order to manufacture. There are very few manufacturers that make ribbon speakers to start with, and not one that makes a curved ribbon. Most manufacturers would resort to combining a bunch of smaller flat ribbons to create a wide dispersion curved surface if needed. Magnepan went the other way, and created a true curved ribbon. It remains to be seen how reliable this design will be in the long run.

Overall, given the small size, use of quasi ribbon driver for midrange, cut of frequency of 200 Hz, the need for quirky HT set-up (by blending front L and R speakers in full range), and very high price, I hereby predict that CCR will be a flop.
post #655 of 3683 Old 11-13-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Some third party stands for MMG (e.g., Mye) can cost almost as much as the speakers. However, for $185 you can get a pair of excellent Sound Anchor stands that are built to very high standard and look terrific.

http://www.soundanchors.com/page44.html

If you leave MMG on the floor on their tiny feet angled backward, they will tend to produce boomy bass and reduce soundstage width. They will also be located below the centerline of most large screen displays that sit at least 18 inches off the floor for proper viewing angle.

IMO, Sound Anchors stands for MMG are reasonably priced for their top notch quality, and they will enable you to expeirment with MMG positioning quite a bit more.
post #656 of 3683 Old 11-14-2009, 07:53 AM

SDV5;
Kind of early to predict, but I would agree with you in general.
I think the issue is really price.
$3K for a center alone? PLUS, did you notice it was only a 3 ohm load?
Methinks there aren't too many AVR's that would like that load. So, one would need to buy a center only amp TOO!

As far as the configuraration "required" for integrating it without the sub feed.
The CC3 manual also reccomends that or at least similar (crossover point is different) setup.

The bass stand (mythical) , I believe was needed only if you wanted to use the CCR without other Maggies, as "stand alone" speakers.

I agree with you though, it does point out a severe limitation of a $3000 speaker.

My guess is that they don't really care to, nor want to, sell that many of them.
This is a marketing ploy.
We have been whining about NOT having a center to match up with the ribbons for how long now?
Now we have one available, want it? Pay up!

Now the CC3 looks like a bargain at $1000. I predict a bunch of folks getting off the fence now and buying CC3's. That's exactly what they want to happen.
post #657 of 3683 Old 11-14-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdv5 View Post

IMO, Sound Anchors stands for MMG are reasonably priced for their top notch quality, and they will enable you to expeirment with MMG positioning quite a bit more.

Thanks for the suggestion. Once I get the MMGS in hand, I'll attempt a simple right-angle brace stand design (DIY) and see if I notice a significant audible difference to possible justify a more costly or labor-intensive (http://magnepanstands.com) alternative.
post #658 of 3683 Old 11-20-2009, 05:11 PM

Not MMGS, however...
As luck would have it, I discovered a hi-end audio store in my neck of the woods that also happens to be maggie dealer. Upon entering the store today, I discovered they had a pair of MG12s for me to hear. So I sat & moved around the room for about 30 minutes listening to a variety of music thru the MG12s (some classical, vocal, acoustic, even some Metallica). I came away VERY impressed. So transparent, such clarity with a wonderfully broad soundstage...I loved 'em.

They had these MG12s mounted upright (straight vertical) on the magnepan 'feet' normally used on the larger models. They were spaced about 7-8' apart and about 2.5" from the rear wall. When I mentioned that my listening was 75/25 HT vs music, we then listened to scenes from several movie DVDs. One interesting note: about halfway through the movie sound demo, the store owner rotated the maggies so that they were perpendicular (90°) to the rear wall (essentially they were facing outwards towards the left & right wall). Wow! Great imaging no matter where I sat relative to the speakers (there were 5 large 'listening' chairs spread across the room). She mentioned that a good number of her maggies customers like this setup, particularly for HT (phantom center)—and often leave them in that position for music alone. Interesting.

Here's the real deal: these MG12s were a trade-in for a larger model. So the bottom line is I can score some 'previously owned' MG12s (already broken in, but they look brand new!) for only around a hundred bucks more than a new pair of MMGs from the factory. They are also allowing me to take these babies home to try out for the next 3 days or so to decide if they're for me. I'll let them know for sure next Tuesday. By then, I'll have to commit to buying or returning them.

In the meantime, time to give these guys a listen over the weekend!
post #659 of 3683 Old 11-27-2009, 08:51 PM

Well I've spent the past 3 days at home going through a range of music and movies with the 'new' MG12s in place.
I've heard (and read) that placement can be tricky with magnepans, but I've found it relatively easy to get a speaker position where the overall effect is truly awesome! I have the two speakers positioned about 6.5 feet apart and 24" from the rear wall. They are about 3 feet from the L&R walls. The broad soundstage produced by these speakers is very impressive and the clarity is simply outstanding! I can see why folks go crazy for these speakers. For HT, I'm running a phantom center and rotating the speakers 90° so they face each other with very satisfying results/ I dont miss having a center channel speaker at all and the clarity of dialogue is truly remarkable. I've balanced the two mgs with an SVS sub & 4 surrounds. In my experience, the mgs are providing me with two things i've been searching for in quality speakers: pleasurable and dynamic music listening AND an impactful, exhilarating HT experience.

These MG12s came with white fabric 'socks' with cherry wood trim. They are very attractive but the consensus of the household is "go black!" so I will be ordering a set of black socks for there speakers.

As I noted in an earlier post, the shop where I picked these up replaced the stock 'L' feet with these 'T' feet normally used on some of the larger models. They set the speakers at a 90° angle from the floor (rather than the back-tilting stock braces).

I will be returning these feet and be building some custom wooden stands for the speakers. The new stands will raise the MGs up about 7-8" higher than the current stands.
post #660 of 3683 Old 11-30-2009, 07:35 PM

I wanted to make the rounds of the forums to thank everyone that has posted for your invaluable advice. I've been prowling for a while and thought that I had decided to buy a Pioneer Elite receiver to pair with a NAD T955 amp to replace my now dead Marantz SR7000 which was powering my pair of MG 1.6s

Then I stumbled on to American Theater's website (NAD dealer) and figured it couldn't hurt to find out what they wanted for a NAD T775HD (which was what I had really wanted from the beginning but couldn't justify full retail). Well, they are having a sale this week and I pulled the trigger on a 30% discount.

Also have an HSU VTF-3 Mk 3 that I bought on their Black Friday special for 15% off.

And I just picked up a CC3 on ebay.

Phew! Christmas comes early! Wife thinks I'm crazy, of course. Probably right.

Would you guys finish this off in a 5.1 configuration with a pair of Maggie MC1s, or do you think I could use a cheaper set of speakers for the rear channels and still get a good result?

Kevin A: Any idea if those feet would fit my 1.6s? And if so, any idea where I could get a pair?

Thanks again everyone! Maybe I will have some material to contribute once I get this all in.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page