post #721 of 3669 Old 01-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Magnefied - I'm surprised it blew the tweeters and not just the fuses. Did you bypass your fuses?

Yeah, I was surprised at the damage too because the fuses did blow. But no, I didn't bypass them. Those were the original factory fuses and it was the first time I blew the fuses. It must have been a hell of a square wave and the fuses weren't fast enough or the fuse didn't meet it's rating. I've blown fuses since and I keep a couple of packages of mid and tweeter fuses in the house for those occasions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3669 Old 01-14-2010, 07:23 PM

I was lucky enough to hear these at The Show last weekend and they sounded incredible. They were being powered with the 1000 Watts in 8 ohm Bryston 28B's. Kind of funny, a $1,000 speaker being powered by an $8,500 amp. They also had the prototype center channel being displayed which was also nice. I only got to hear a few demo songs due to the demand of people trying to get in there and hearing a demo. Not bad considering the room held 12 people. People are obbiously very excited to hear these. I still can't believe the $2K price tag for the pair. Best bargain of the show in my opinion.
post #723 of 3669 Old 01-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post

The only trouble I ever had with maggies was I would blow tweeter fuses pretty regularly when I first got the tympani's. I used a Phase Linear 400 to drive them. I switched to a GAS Ampzilla IIa , which had the exact same power rating as the Phase Linear, and never blew another fuse.

I call this pic ''Maggie Love''
You gotta love em to change fuses this many times.

Many of the blown mid-range and tweeter fuses I blew-up due to excessive volume, using Maggie MGIIc's, MG3.5r's & 3.6r's with various hi-end, high power amps, starting with the GAS Ampzilla IIa, through Mark Levinson 331,332 & 333. Never blew a ribbon tweeter since owning 3.5's in 96 or 97, just fuses.
I cannot say the same for my original MGIIc's but that may have been more an effect of the defective glue since no tweeters had to be replaced after they scrapped that stuff off.

TURN IT UP!
post #724 of 3669 Old 01-14-2010, 09:11 PM

^^^^ geez, that's multiple times as many fuses as I've blown on audio equipment in my thirty plus years in high end audio. I may have blown a dozen all together...most with the maggie tympani's and the phase linear 400. I haven't blown a fuse in many years now
post #725 of 3669 Old 01-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^^ geez, that's multiple times as many fuses as I've blown on audio equipment in my thirty plus years in high end audio. I may have blown a dozen all together...most with the maggie tympani's and the phase linear 400. I haven't blown a fuse in many years now

Yeah I figured and I've lost quite a few of them, at this point they are just garbage afterall.
i also used at first a G.A.S. Theobe [and still actually own it and a perfect condition Ampzilla IIa], then a Levinson #26s preamp, then Theta CBI and now the Theta CBIII/ extreme DACS. So all I can figure the problem to be is just shear volume, more Db's then they were ever designed to repoduce.
So I was forced into removing them from H.T. duty. Now U-571 sounds as loud as"I' think it should, and I don't replace fuses anymore.

This is not a put down of maggies of any sort, I've still kept them all except for 2 CC3's which were sold to guys in this thread. I still miss my ribbons but I just have to go to another room to hear them. And I might like the CCR cause the CC-1 and the CC-3's just didn't cut it for me the way that these boxes do, and their the first ones I've been happy with in more then 25 years of nothing but maggies.
I just gotta keep in mind that a movie upstairs, just won't play nearly as loud as one downstairs, on 2 pair of Arial Acoustics MDL.9's./ CC-5 center. Maggies can go pretty darn loud, but a bit shy of where I want certian movies to be!

TURN IT UP!
post #726 of 3669 Old 01-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 View Post

I call this pic ''Maggie Love''
You gotta love em to change fuses this many times.

Many of the blown mid-range and tweeter fuses I blew-up due to excessive volume, using Maggie MGIIc's, MG3.5r's & 3.6r's with various hi-end, high power amps, starting with the GAS Ampzilla IIa, through Mark Levinson 331,332 & 333. Never blew a ribbon tweeter since owning 3.5's in 96 or 97, just fuses.
I cannot say the same for my original MGIIc's but that may have been more an effect of the defective glue since no tweeters had to be replaced after they scrapped that stuff off.

You win! Wow, thats 10X the number of fuses I've blown.
post #727 of 3669 Old 01-15-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Yeah I figured and I've lost quite a few of them, at this point they are just garbage afterall.
i also used at first a G.A.S. Theobe [and still actually own it and a perfect condition Ampzilla IIa], then a Levinson #26s preamp, then Theta CBI and now the Theta CBIII/ extreme DACS. So all I can figure the problem to be is just shear volume, more Db's then they were ever designed to repoduce.
So I was forced into removing them from H.T. duty. Now U-571 sounds as loud as"I' think it should, and I don't replace fuses anymore.

This is not a put down of maggies of any sort, I've still kept them all except for 2 CC3's which were sold to guys in this thread. I still miss my ribbons but I just have to go to another room to hear them. And I might like the CCR cause the CC-1 and the CC-3's just didn't cut it for me the way that these boxes do, and their the first ones I've been happy with in more then 25 years of nothing but maggies.
I just gotta keep in mind that a movie upstairs, just won't play nearly as loud as one downstairs, on 2 pair of Arial Acoustics MDL.9's./ CC-5 center. Maggies can go pretty darn loud, but a bit shy of where I want certian movies to be!

I used a full GAS system with my Tympani 1d's. I had a GAS Ampzilla IIa and a Thaedra II pre amp. I sold them both about 10 years ago, but they still worked great when I sold them. I couldn't see letting them sit in storage..since I had replaced them with Threshold gear a few years before. Plus, my spare bedroom /audio equipment graveyard was getting pretty cluttered. It still is..I need to unload some of my old stuff.
post #728 of 3669 Old 01-15-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post

According to the receipt I got when I brought home the mg12s, those stands are listed as "1 set 3.6 feet...$75.00" I believe they can be purchased direct for Magnepan.
Since I wanted to raise the mg12s up a bit, I made the decision to build my own. The final cost of my "home-mades" may exceed the 3.6 feet a bit, but I think they'll do a better job with stabilty AND get the speaker up off the floor about 8". Here's my initial conceptthough I may go all black rather than natural wood. We'll see...

I just got a pair of MMG's for my bedroom system..and a pair of stands like that would be ideal. Instead of the stock legs, which have the speaker leaning back a bit, I'd like them straight up vertical and raised up a foot or so.
post #729 of 3669 Old 01-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnefied View Post

You win! Wow, thats 10X the number of fuses I've blown.

I WIN...GREAT!

I never won anything before, is there a prize?

Talking about keeping some spare fuses on hand made me laugh.
Whenever I stop at RS, I take every single package of fuses that they have for every rating I use for the various maggies I have. They always look at me like, what the...?
I keep 1 package of each type behind each speaker, so they are not only handy but it helps me with keeping an eye on my 'inventory'.
The CC-I and CC-3 must be completely indestructible as I never blew a single fuse on either of those models.

OK so I lied.
I did win something once and it wasn't at a carnival either.
I won the Pioneer Elite CLD-95 laserdisc player at a hi-end shop in NY once. Some of you other old folks may actually remember what a laserdisc player was, and a damn fine machine it still is.
Lots of stuff on those disks that never made it to DVD and there is even less hope of that material ever making it to blu-ray.
One disk I have was done frame by frame and took them 7 yrs to create.
That same sort of imagery I think most any computer today can re-create on the fly and is probably just some sort of screen-saver, lol.

As a matter of fact, now that I'm thinking of it, I'm pretty sure that was the day I met Jim Winey. He was at the store with an attache case filled with CD's all laid out in the order he wanted to hear them. They had MG20's perfectly set up in an otherwise all Levinson room.
I must have spent close to two hrs in there with him, [at his invitation] listening to the best set-up I had ever heard, along with some of his stories. Like how they came up with the names of every speaker they had ever made. It actually did make for a very interesting afternoon. Unless of course, you were not a maggie fan!

But really, is there still a prize for winning?
If Magnapan hands it out I'll take a CCR. That would at least help in partially recovering the cost of fuses

TURN IT UP!
post #730 of 3669 Old 01-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

my audio equipment graveyard was getting pretty cluttered. It still is..I need to unload some of my old stuff.

You and me both my friend.
Unfortunately, some of what I should get rid of is still current!

TURN IT UP!
post #731 of 3669 Old 01-15-2010, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 191
Did you ever get those fuses that you knew were blown b/c you weren't getting any more treble but you'd be damned if you could see in the fuse where it blew? I hated that. Made me neurotic worrying my speaker was broken. I also hated when I would blow a fuse after Radioshack closed and I was out.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #732 of 3669 Old 01-15-2010, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Y'all do realize that it's quite difficult to blow fuses in Maggies unless you are feeding them a distorted signal, don't you? Not impossible, but very difficult. I fed my MG1b's with 400WRMS/channel @4Ω and the only times I blew a tweeter fuse was if I ran the volume so loud it clipped or with a large transient like dropping the tonearm .

Be seeing you!
post #733 of 3669 Old 01-15-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:

OK so I lied.
I did win something once and it wasn't at a carnival either.
I won the Pioneer Elite CLD-95 laserdisc player at a hi-end shop in NY once. Some of you other old folks may actually remember what a laserdisc player was, and a damn fine machine it still is.

I still have a CLD-97 and it still works perfectly. I've got a crap load oc laserdiscs as well. I watch one every so often and running an s video output to my integra dhc-9.9 and upscaling the video, it looks really sharp on my 61 inch samsung. The digital audio sounds great too..I run it through a coaxial digital to my pre amp and use the Pro logic IIx movie setting...very impressive.

post #734 of 3669 Old 01-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

Y'all do realize that it's quite difficult to blow fuses in Maggies unless you are feeding them a distorted signal, don't you? Not impossible, but very difficult. I fed my MG1b's with 400WRMS/channel @4Ω and the only times I blew a tweeter fuse was if I ran the volume so loud it clipped or with a large transient like dropping the tonearm .

I'm open to any theory as to how a fuse blows in 3.5s or 3.6's when feed by either 400 or 600w@4ohm Levinsons that had been checked at the factory more then once. I didn't think it was even possible to clip that larger amp, always figured a circuit breaker would open first but that would require sustaining about 27 amps to do that and I don't think even I could remain in the house if I attempt those levels.
Two 2450 VA transformers with four 50,000 μF capacitors is pretty difficult, even for maggies I think, to use up and clip so frequently. The amps also incorporate a controlled clipping circuit that prevents the output devices from saturating. ''Harsh high frequency harmonics generated by hard-clipped output devices are avoided by the waveshaping action of this controlled clip circuitry''.
If these were cheap amps with reputations that were not so stellar I'd say, well, this is alot of marketing BS but I'm pretty certain these things will output clean until the wall runs out of power and then I expect them to just shut themselves down before an amp or speaker would be damaged. Clipping is something no review I've read mentions as a problem.

I've played the Aerials mdl 9's much louder then I ever tried playing a maggie with no blown tweeters yet, but of course their 90db compared to the 85db Sensitivity of a 3.6 which should help to a certain degree.

TURN IT UP!
post #735 of 3669 Old 01-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Did you ever get those fuses that you knew were blown b/c you weren't getting any more treble but you'd be damned if you could see in the fuse where it blew? I hated that. Made me neurotic worrying my speaker was broken.

The trick is to just take a good fuse, even if it's a lower rating and place it over the fuse in question. If it tweets, then there is no need to get neurotic and you wait for RS to open.
If it don't tweet, then it's time to start breakin stuff. Preferably Strindl's stuff cause he has too much crap anyway.

If you live near me, find a different store or order some on the net cause I already bought out anything RS had.

TURN IT UP!
post #736 of 3669 Old 01-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/las...emos&Itemid=37
In the above link, are the MC-1's attached via motorized wall mount? I know this option has been mentioned as coming soon. Any eta?
post #737 of 3669 Old 01-16-2010, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I WIN...GREAT!

I never won anything before, is there a prize?

Talking about keeping some spare fuses on hand made me laugh.
Whenever I stop at RS, I take every single package of fuses that they have for every rating I use for the various maggies I have. They always look at me like, what the...?

Oh, so you're the guy. I went into my local RS a few weeks ago after setting up my Christmas present from my wife (Oppo BDP-83SE). I got a little enthusiastic with initial listening and blew both tweeter fuses. No damage to anything but the fuses. I scrounged around my media cabinet for fuses and there were none in inventory. Off to RS. They're getting hard to find around here. Only one within a convenient distance. Anyway, the pickings were slim. I took the last two packages of both the 2.5A and 4.0A fuses.

As for the prize, just send your blown fuses to Magnepan. They will build you a trophy. You will be invited to White Bear Lake in February to accept the award and take part in the award ceremony which involves sticking a 4.0A fuse in each ear with wires running to Mark Levinson monoblock amps. They chainsaw a hole in the ice. You jump in wearing a speedo. The fuses blow and save your life. They haul you out and hand you the trophy built entirely from your blown fuses. An audience of ice fishermen and Magnepan employees applaud (and snicker).
post #738 of 3669 Old 01-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

I would't say it's difficult. Simply putting too much current across the fuse will cause the fuse to do what it was designed to do (hopefully). There are a lot of solid state amps that can deliver far more than 2.5A far longer than it takes to blow a fuse. All you need is high output in high frequencies sustained long enough and an amp to supply the current.

In my case when I blew the tweeters, it was indeed a heavily clipped signal from a Nakamichi PA7 that outputs 330W into a 4 ohm load, 132,000uF filter capacitance, 50 amp peak current, 18 amp continuous. The amp has clipping LEDs and they came on and stayed lit for what seemed like a couple of seconds. Hard to tell since I was in a panic. So yes, a square wave is one way to break stuff but lots of clean power will also melt a fuse.
post #739 of 3669 Old 01-16-2010, 10:32 AM

I've never heard a Maggie before but am very intrigued by everything I've read about them. I'm curious, can these be hung from the ceiling in a horizontal fashion with the requisite 3' out from the wall? If possible, what would that do to the soundstage?
post #740 of 3669 Old 01-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshukers View Post

I've never heard a Maggie before but am very intrigued by everything I've read about them. I'm curious, can these be hung from the ceiling in a horizontal fashion with the requisite 3' out from the wall? If possible, what would that do to the soundstage?

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I wouldn't try hanging MG20's or MG3.6's from the ceiling horizontally. That would be a sight to behold. But MMGW's, maybe. If you're asking about a surround or rear application with MMGW's, that may work if you angle the panels toward the listening area. The larger Maggies 20, 3.6, 1.6 (all really) are meant to be oriented vertically for an optimum dispersion pattern for seated listeners. Personally, I wouldn't try the sideways/ceiling approach.
post #741 of 3669 Old 01-16-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:

If it don't tweet, then it's time to start breakin stuff. Preferably Strindl's stuff cause he has too much crap anyway.

lol...a true audiophile never has too much audio crap!
post #742 of 3669 Old 01-16-2010, 12:12 PM

although...when I look at my main system...I could be getting close:

post #743 of 3669 Old 01-17-2010, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Well, for all the 'junk' in your room, at least you can move around and it ain't very hard on the eyes. [that's the best I can ever muster that might resemble a compliment].
You oughta list your 'stuff' in your profile or something so people don't have to ask you stupid questions like, what kind of sub is that and make statements like, geee... i thought you'd have had maggies in that room. [criticizing on the other hand, I have no problems with making, my 'other' problem would be recieving criticizing of any sort, go figure human nature!].
But far be it for me to ask personal questions like the above, so maybe 'mrlittlejeans' could ask you these things, since he is a bit neurotic anyway and is going to worry about whether or not he actually asks the questions.
[the poor sense of humor is just a character flaw and I don't wanna consider it as a problem, of course others I'm sure...may].

Edit: But seriously, not everbody hates me...not everybody knows me!

TURN IT UP!
post #744 of 3669 Old 01-17-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:

Well, for all the 'junk' in your room, at least you can move around and it ain't very hard on the eyes. [that's the best I can ever muster that might resemble a compliment].
You oughta list your 'stuff' in your profile or something so people don't have to ask you stupid questions like, what kind of sub is that and make statements like, geee... i thought you'd have had maggies in that room. [criticizing on the other hand, I have no problems with making, my 'other' problem would be recieving criticizing of any sort, go figure human nature!].
But far be it for me to ask personal questions like the above, so maybe 'mrlittlejeans' could ask you these things, since he is a bit neurotic anyway and is going to worry about whether or not he actually asks the questions.
[the poor sense of humor is just a character flaw and I don't wanna consider it as a problem, of course others I'm sure...may].

Edit: But seriously, not everbody hates me...not everybody knows me!

My maggies are in my living room and bedroom systems...1.6's in the living room, mmg's in the bedroom. That room in the picture has had magnepans before. I had my original tympani 1d's in there at first, then a pair of MGIIIa's starting in 1988. The Thiel 3.6's that occupy the place of honor now came in 1994.

That system has a pair of Velodyne F1500r subs. Sitting on top of each of the subs is an Emotiva XPA-1 monobloc amp capable of one thousand watts each into those 4 ohm Thiels.

The other power amps are a Threshold SA/4e pure class A amp, a pair of Threshold s200's, and an Emotiva XPA-5.

I have a pic of my living room system with the 1.6's posted on page 20 of this thread..about half way down.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...086093&page=20
post #745 of 3669 Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 AM

Liked: 12
I just had a brief but interesting phone call with Wendell at Magnepan. I recently bought a CC3 which I want to mount on a stand behind my projector screen. Wendell told me that mounting the CC3 on a stand will cause its low end frequency response to rise from 80 Hz to around 120 Hz, depending on room characteristics. In other words, less bass in the center channel. He said it's because to CC3 needs a base to sit on to extend the response down to 80 Hz.

So one possibility was to put it on a table. Its surface would provide what the CC3 needs. I still like the idea of a pedestal stand. But it could have a table top. Has anyone run into this, solved it, have any suitable pedestal designs, or a suitable manufacturer?

Many thanks.
post #746 of 3669 Old 01-21-2010, 12:44 PM

Liked: 12
I plan to design a stand for the CC3 to try to recover the low end mentioned in the post above. Does anyone have pictures of an un-socked CC3? Or know how to remove the sock? I have done it countless times on my MG-III's. But the CC3 has very different construction.
post #747 of 3669 Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 PM

I think I remember someone here saying Mangepan was actually going to release the Mini-Mags. Does anyone have a date?

I heard them in Seattle a year ago and was duly impressed. And now even my wife wants them for the living room since they are so nice and small.

I still want the big ones for my music room. Not sure what to do about the home theater though ... some of you seem to like them for HT and some not.
post #748 of 3669 Old 01-21-2010, 08:49 PM

I visited my local magnepan dealer this afternoon and spent time listening to the 3.6's. I had brought along my three current favorite CD's and spent some time really enjoying the sound those are capable of producing. They were driven by a Bryston power amp with a Bryston CD player and the sound was stunningly good.

A few other shoppers came into the demo room where they were playing and it's always fun to see people's first reaction when realizing where that sound was coming from.
post #749 of 3669 Old 01-21-2010, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper43 View Post

I think I remember someone here saying Mangepan was actually going to release the Mini-Mags. Does anyone have a date?

I remember reading somewhere that Magnepan stated, sometime in the 3rd Quarter.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #750 of 3669 Old 01-22-2010, 03:27 PM

Thinking about picking up a pair of Magnapan SMGa's. They are just too cheap to pass up, assuming they are in good working order.

I don't need them for home (already have 2 systems at home and I am looking at upgrading one of those sets of speakers already) I am thinking of using them in a restaurant that I own.

I have never had any planar speakers, how much power will I need to drive them? At the restaurant they will probably just run digital audio from my cable provider.

Thanks,

Chris
Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page