Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #61 of 3736 Old 01-08-2009, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 120
(Darth Sidious voice) ...rrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiise....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3736 Old 01-08-2009, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

MK: Here's a guy getting 113dB out of his MMGs

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MU...13/136920.html
post #63 of 3736 Old 01-09-2009, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Summa,
They are large, (and a bit heavier) aren't they?
I'm sure you're enjoying by now.
Are you having a hard time leaving them? staying up later than usual? I hear it gets easier.
post #64 of 3736 Old 01-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Anyone go to CES? Looks like Magnepan has something new:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MU...13/136981.html

Bookshelf sized ribbons paired with separate magnepan planar magnetic woofers! Very interesting!
post #65 of 3736 Old 01-10-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Keith: Yep, enjoying the heck out of them! I am shocked at how much bass I'm getting out of them. I think it's partly due to my gear, but still....I don't see any need for a sub with these things.

As for CES, I can't wait to see what Magnepan has come up with...sounds like it's a winner!
post #66 of 3736 Old 01-14-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Magnepan demonstrated the new "mini maggies" at CES. Pricing is not announced, but they should be available this summer. Here are some links:

http://www.soundstage2.com/lasvegas2009/df_jan11mm.html

http://www.avguide.com/blog/the-magg...speaker-part-1

http://www.avguide.com/blog/the-magg...speaker-part-2

Be seeing you!
post #67 of 3736 Old 01-14-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

Magnepan demonstrated the new "mini maggies" at CES. Pricing is not announced, but they should be available this summer.

Hopefully they won't be too pricey and be offered factory direct...these would be perfect for my small music room. As far as being availible this summer...aren't we still waiting for the ribbon center they showed last year?

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/ces2007/011107MaggieC/
post #68 of 3736 Old 01-15-2009, 11:40 PM

I am seriously considering buying a pair of MMGs to use as my main stereo speakers. In fact, I was at first looking for a pair of near-field monitors for some mixing I need to do, but have been advised that the MMGs are among the most transparent (i.e. colorless) speakers around, and would be the best choice for monitoring mix and EQ changes.

So first, have you folks who are using the MMGs as primary stereo speakers been generally happy with them? Are they really so neutral?

I plan to use them in a smallish room, and of the two possible setups one has them sitting 5 ft apart with me being 5 ft away, the other is having them sit about 8 ft apart with me being about 5 ft away. Is this too close-range for these speakers?

I am concerned about getting the proper amp to drive them, can you folks recommend something in the $200 - $250 range that is a good match for the MMGs? I don't need thunderous volume, as the room is small.

I listen mostly to rock and progressive metal. No bass-heavy hip-hop stuff but still needs some good bottom end, will a more powerful amp provide more bass or is a sub woofer required with the MMGs for rock? Or are they ok as is?

I love the idea of the "mini-Maggies" but apparently they aren't going to be available for a while.

thanks all!
post #69 of 3736 Old 01-16-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Veech, would you be able to keep them away from the front and side walls, too? Sounds like it may be a tight fit. You may want to think about grabbing a pair of MC1s, which hang on the wall. This would maximize the space in the room and if you pair them with a subwoofer I think you'll be quite happy.

As for the amps, in that price range I'd go with a preowned B&K, Parasound, Rotel, or Anthem. There are others, but those are typicall my favorites. Check Audiogon, Ebay, and Craig's List. A 100 wpc amp from any of these brands will be fine.

http://www.avguide.com/review/magnep...speaker-system
post #70 of 3736 Old 01-16-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Veech, would you be able to keep them away from the front and side walls, too? Sounds like it may be a tight fit. You may want to think about grabbing a pair of MC1s, which hang on the wall. This would maximize the space in the room and if you pair them with a subwoofer I think you'll be quite happy.

As for the amps, in that price range I'd go with a preowned B&K, Parasound, Rotel, or Anthem. There are others, but those are typicall my favorites. Check Audiogon, Ebay, and Craig's List. A 100 wpc amp from any of these brands will be fine.

http://www.avguide.com/review/magnep...speaker-system

They will be away from the front and side walls by about 1 1/2 ft, is that enough? I am still debating if I want to include a sub in the combo since I'll be doing EQing and I am afraid that a sub may throw off the accuracy of the sound. I would prefer full-range speakers, that's why I'm trying to make the MMGs work.

Thanks for the tips on acquiring an amp.
post #71 of 3736 Old 01-16-2009, 02:42 PM

Veech,
I used MMG's as my main speakers in both stereo and Home Theater for 8 years before jumping up to the big ones. They are very fine speakers and noticed a vast improvement on bass response when I moved them to the larger basement and was able to place them about 6 feet from the rear wall. Prior to that (in those 8 years) they had been about 32" from the rear wall and about 40" from side walls in my 14' x 22' living room. Listening position was about 10' away.
From my experience the wide stance may be better, you won't get the stage as well but if you can get them away from the walls a bit more it could help alot. You can angle the speakers towards your listening position too. However as Summa says the wall mountable maggies might be a better solution. I didn't have a sub for the first five years and didn't really care except for movies.
I used an old B&K power amp pre-outed from my Denon AV receiver. The same setup is now driving them in my basement.
post #72 of 3736 Old 01-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post

aren't we still waiting for the ribbon center they showed last year?

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/ces2007/011107MaggieC/

Yes we are. Although I'd heard about it a few years before even this announcement!
Still waiting....

When it does happen, I'd plan on about $1,000 more then the article says.

TURN IT UP!
post #73 of 3736 Old 01-16-2009, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Keith:

Have you messed around with biamping your 3.6s at all? I just ordered a Marchand xm44 active crossover to the specs that Magnepan lists in the 3.6 user's manual. Some of the guys at the asylum said that getting rid of the passive crossovers that come with the speakers would help improve things, and I've been so happy with how my Butler amp has powered these Maggies that I figured I'd go ahead and use two channels of the amp per speaker and biamp them. I'm already getting a lot of bass and a huge soundstage, and the amp doesn't show any signs of strain whatsoever. I also have Mye stands coming in this week, so I'm expecting the Maggies to really be singing by next weekend!

Also, have you taken any pics of your set-up? If so, I'd love to see them!

post #74 of 3736 Old 01-17-2009, 09:10 AM

I've just acquired a pair of pre-owned MMG-W. I intend to replace my existing HT setup which consists of AV123 XLS and a Bob Carver sub. Just got them hooked up, calibrated and tried some 2-channel music. To my disappointment, they sounded "thin", not as full and rich as the XLS. Is this because I'm used to the bookshelves and need more listening to get use to the Maggies? TIA for your input.
post #75 of 3736 Old 01-17-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

TKC: What are you powering them with? Do you have them swiveled out from the wall? How do you have them crossed over to the sub?

The MMG-Ws aren't often used as mains...the MMG (floor standing) or MC1 would be better choices. Also, they only go down to around 100hz, so if the sub integration isn't right they'll definitely sound thin.
post #76 of 3736 Old 01-17-2009, 10:25 AM

Summa,
For now, the MMG-Ws are just leaning against the wall facing the listening position. They're now sitting in my bedroom, powered by a PIO 816K . I'll mount them only after I decided to keep them. I've cross over set at 80Hz. My main HT setup is powered by a Yammy 886 as pre-amp and EMO LPA-1 amp. I'll just put the MMG-Ws up for sale if they are not really for mains.....
post #77 of 3736 Old 01-17-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

lol, I can't imagine why they don't sound good!
post #78 of 3736 Old 01-19-2009, 03:59 PM

Summa,
I had a new equipment TV stand made, it's very large and in the basement right now. I have to wait until I can get the sidewalk in the front of the house cleared from enough snow so to guys can carry this 200 LB monster around the house, not even thinking of climbing stairs with it!
After that's in with the equipment a photo shoot will be underway.
I haven't even thought of Bi-amping, to much already invested.
post #79 of 3736 Old 01-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc9789 View Post

I've just acquired a pair of pre-owned MMG-W. I intend to replace my existing HT setup which consists of AV123 XLS and a Bob Carver sub. Just got them hooked up, calibrated and tried some 2-channel music. To my disappointment, they sounded "thin", not as full and rich as the XLS. Is this because I'm used to the bookshelves and need more listening to get use to the Maggies? TIA for your input.

Note that the MMG-W and MMG-C are single driver devices. Their fairly wide diaphragm reproducing high freqs means dispersion is an issue compared to the quasi-ribbon and true ribbon equipped larger models. The can be pretty amazing for center channels (if you can live with the dispersion characteristics), but full range they're not.

Also, and I know Magnepan offers these and the MC1's as wall mountable, but that kind of placement is a severe compromise at best. You will do much better by getting them off the floor by a foot or two, and away from any walls.

This also goes for the quasi-ribbon equipped MMG's. You can improve them greatly by getting them off the floor and eliminating the leaning that the stock feet create. Below is a photo of one of my MMG's in a home built stand that I am currently using for surrounds. The Maggie on the left is an MGIIIA.

And even on their best day... MMG-W's that are set up this way will barely get below 120Hz, so you'll need a fairly musical sub to mate it with.

post #80 of 3736 Old 01-21-2009, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

post #81 of 3736 Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 PM

Is the MGCC1 an inferior center to the MGMC? Can the CC1 be upgraded by Magnepan?

rynopr
post #82 of 3736 Old 01-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynopr View Post

Is the MGCC1 an inferior center to the MGMC? Can the CC1 be upgraded by Magnepan?

If your meaning, can a CC1 be made into a 2 or a 3, no they are not upgradable.
I don't consider a CC1 inferior in any way to a CC2, of course while there were some changes made, I never got a chance to make a direct comparison between those two.
I have however, directly compared the CC1 to the CC3 and find audibly, they are very much the same, although not identical. The newer 3 being able to reach down an additional octave, which makes it a bit easier to integrate with a subwoofer then the CC1 is.

Externally, the biggest difference you'll find is their actual physical size, the CC3 being about half as deep as the CC1 and showing the curvature of the diaphragm.
Internally, the diaphragm in the CC1 is a continuous curve, whereas in the CC3, it goes straight or flat across the front for about 9" inches in the middle. This change in design also helped reduce the more rapid bass roll-off that's present in the CC1, as well as adding that lower octave.

The CC1 is still a very good speaker, IMO, especially for the price they can be had for these days on the used market.
If your itching to upgrade...yes, you'll find the CC3 is unquestionably better.

Edit: Shoot! I just noticed you wanted a comparison to the MGMC. From where I was sitting with the question mark next to it, it looked like a 2.....Sorry, can't help ya. LOL

TURN IT UP!
post #83 of 3736 Old 01-28-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

I don't know if I would recommend any mags other than big ones for full HT use if you want dynamics. Mags will only go so loud. I only use them as my mains as I'm more concerned with 2 channel music than HT. You will also definitely need subs for HT use.

I'm also more concerned with 2 channel music (~80%) than HT (~20%).

OTOH, I've never used Mags, but I have used a pair of the smallish original Quad electro-stat speakers, and a year or two later a new pair of the "new" Quad's, roughly 15-to-20 years ago.

You really think that current large Mags have merit over a current electro-stat?

Say one of the current mid-to-somewhat-upper end Martin Logan electro-stat units? (i.e. the ones that include an amp for the cone bass driver)

Kindly explain in some detail.

Also, I have to think that if most of your 2 channel listening is done to the side of the room, while working on the computer or reading a book, then maybe L/R cone speakers are the way to go?

Quote:

I'm driving mine with a Parasound Halo A21 which is 250wpc into 8 ohms and around 400wpc into 4.

I also use an A21 for my L/R, which are 3-way 4-driver cone floorstanding Opera 5.

Specs:
(2x18cm treated cellulose/separate reflex, 1 x 13cm copolymer sealed, 1x27mm treated silk dome; Crossover: 150Hz / 2.5kHz; Sensitivity: 90 dB)

Nominal impedance: 4 Ohms; Freq.response: 28Hz-22kHz; Dimensions (W x H x D): 8.7x43.7x13 inches; Weight: ~ 69 lbs. each.

The Opera 5 doesn't move enough air below about 60 hz., but it's likely that that is nothing new to Mag lovers.

Cheers

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #84 of 3736 Old 01-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

You really think that current large Mags have merit over a current electro-stat?

Say one of the current mid-to-somewhat-upper end Martin Logan electro-stat units? (i.e. the ones that include an amp for the cone bass driver)

Kindly explain in some detail.

I have never owned a pair of Martin Logans (although I have friends with them), but have had Quads, Acoustats, and Beveridge 2SW. To me there is simply no better top end than the 3 series ribbon.

While the electrostats have more slam on the low end, the top end for me has always been tough to live with (beveridges were better than others here). They sound edgey on way too many recordings, and the dispersion characteristics always involve too much of a hot spot. Bottom line was I always grew tired of their sound.

The Maggie ribbons remind me of the old sequerra ribbons... but in a true line source. Very good dispersion, amazing detail and transient response, incredible energy, without taking your head off. They simply seem to do less wrong than any other speaker I have owned.
post #85 of 3736 Old 01-28-2009, 03:15 PM

I hate to say this, but I owned Aeoni's for a couple of years and they gave me a headache after about an hour.

What is the current street value of the CC1 center channel?

rynopr
post #86 of 3736 Old 01-28-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Can't find any CC1's, but here is a link for a CC3:
Magnepan CC-3 Center Channel

Be seeing you!
post #87 of 3736 Old 01-28-2009, 03:39 PM

No, I have seen several used CC3 as of late. I just am on the verge of making a deal for MMGs, MMGW, and a CC1 and I don't want to overpay on the center...

Does anyone here use a Cary Cinema 6, or Nuforce AVP17 w/ their Magnepans?

Thanks

rynopr
post #88 of 3736 Old 01-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynopr View Post

No, I have seen several used CC3 as of late. I just am on the verge of making a deal for MMGs, MMGW, and a CC1 and I don't want to overpay on the center...

Thanks

I have some used Maggies for sale including one CC1 and one CC3, PM if there is any interest.

TURN IT UP!
post #89 of 3736 Old 01-29-2009, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Count me in among those who aren't all that fond of MLs. I REALLY wanted to like them, cause I loved their styling...but the fatigue I experienced was too much for my ears. I definitely agree about the "edgy" comment above....just not for me.

Maggies, OTOH...ahhhhhhhh My Mye stands are in transit and should be here early next week...my Marchand crossover is up and running and allowing me to bi-amp with my Butler. I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting so far with my 3.6s, and I still have yet to get my DAC back into the signal path.

Properly set-up Maggies are amazing...I'm so glad I went back to them

Rynopr: if you go with the CC1, be sure you have some way to account for the high crossover point. I don't remember what it is, but it's somewhere around 160hz, I think. You don't want to have a huge frequency gap right smack in the middle of your HT presentation. Aside from that, MMGs rule!
post #90 of 3736 Old 01-29-2009, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

My Mye stands are in transit and should be here early next week...my Marchand crossover is up and running and allowing me to bi-amp with my Butler.

Summa,

I'd really like to know (objectively) what the Mye stands do for you. I have 3.6's for fronts in an all-maggie surround setup along with MC1's and a CC3. Read a lot of testimonials on the stands...but want assurances they provide more than a placebo effect

Also, would you PM me on the marchand and how you set it up. I'm toying with the idea od biamping but have absolutely no experience with external or custom X-vers, other than what's in the processor for bass management. Once used an AudioControl C101 (sits on a shelf - hasn't been used in 15 yrs) in a tape monitor loop but that's it.

I'm in Atl area so possibly we can share notes on our maggie setups.

THX

ss9001
Steve

Steve
Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page