The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 3821 Old 05-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjohngalt View Post


I am considering another pair of MMGs, MG12s, 1.6s, or 2.6s (if I could find them). I'd love to hear opinions from anyone who has used any of these with MMGs (as surrounds) in home theatre in limited space.
(I wish I knew what my listening room would be like, but life is full of unfair challenges.)
Thanks in advance.


I've tried my MMG's with my 1.6's in that configuration. Sound quality wise...it's a match made in heaven. (well, actually Minnesota) I didn't have room to place the MMG's as surrounds with 2 or more feet between them and the wall behind them, but they still sounded outstanding. I had them in the back corners of the room, maybe a foot at most from the wall, pointed in slightly towards the listening position.

That setup fills my living room with sound very nicely. I'm not using them in that configuration right now since the 1.6's have been moved to my bedroom system which will be their new home, while I await the 1.7's I have on order.

I'll try the mmg's in the surround position with the 1.7's when they arrive.
strindl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 3821 Old 05-30-2010, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 6,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quick update: Finished my media room treatment (for now) and it really helped the sound. Image is stable, frequency response much flatter (one last 50 Hz notch from a doubling of room modes that I may have to fix with an EQ unit but still playing), and overall sound much cleaner/nicer than before. Room treatment should be a critical item for any audiophile, imo.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #993 of 3821 Old 06-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Member
 
Keith944T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Zelienople, north of Pittsburgh
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mr. PaulForster
I bought my 3.6's used, I use 1.6's as surrounds and a CC3 as center.
The ribbon is NOT THAT fragile. I've had them 2 years now. No issues.
Biggest cost is feeding them. You really want a GOOD powerful amp.
I had monoblock 150 watts per (tube) (sounded great) but wanted more power. Then tried couple variations of solid states 400 to 600 watts per. A Class D 1000 watts per.
Now have a 225 watts per tube amp and sounds best of what I've tried.
If you have the room and budget for 3.6's go and don't look back.
However, I did just see a pair of 20.1's (cheery and black, my favorite look) available on Audiogon for ~$7k. Very tempting... 20.1's as front and 3.6's as surrounds.
Wonder how much amp they'd need?
Keith944T is offline  
post #994 of 3821 Old 06-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Newbie
 
iamjohngalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought some 4 yr old 1.6's to accompany my MMGs to New Zealand. Sounding great so far. Thanks for the feedback strindl. Still watching fo 2.6s for sale too.

Democracy ... 21st century feudalism.
iamjohngalt is offline  
post #995 of 3821 Old 06-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Member
 
Ballsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I am so glad to find this site and a seperatethread for maggies owners

Newbie here { this is a coy of a first post in a Pioneer SC 25 thread} been lurking for a week and have a few questions on what I believe to be a wonderful AVR.. the SC 25. I have owned it for 3 months now, the features are great and I will use most of them- I am just getting used to it, in honesty I bought it for 2 reason all the bells and whistles for a grand, but the IcePower was what sold me I love music more then home theater- I have a set of magnepans .6 quasi ribbon planar speakers that I love but they love power- stable power which the IcePower delivers, 145 watts at 8 ohms but they { maggies} love it at 4 ohms so here is my question the SC 25 isnt rated publicly at 4 ohms, just 8 ohms- I know a little but not a lot so how does the IcePower class d amps work with this? my maggies sound stage sing at mid volume 8 ft apart and 10 ft to my chair-
so my question...
1- do I have to worry about the 4 ohms {desired by magenpan's specs} with IcePower?
2. If needed to- I am thinking about bi amping with pioneers M-10X 4 OHM. I just want to make sure I am getting the most and the best out of my system- this is out of my eletronics league.

I know what I hear is great- just wanta know if I can make it better and not abuse my system...

Any opinions would be great and I look forward to having many discussions.

ps

I am also researching for a new CD player- or do you all think my Elite BD 05 would do the trick for playing music?

thanks again

Ballsey
Ballsey is offline  
post #996 of 3821 Old 06-09-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 6,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Pioneer does not rate the SC-25 for 4 ohms; min 6 ohms. But, the THX certification they claim requires the amp to drive a 3.2 ohm load to pass, sooo... My SC-27 (same amps as your 25, I believe) is not having amy issues with my Magnepans. Check it does not get too hot, but many folk are running 4-ohm loads with SC-25/27 AVRs. One reason I got the Pioneer is all the talk of good the amps sounded and how they seemed to handle most any load. One plus is that Magnepans are a pretty benign load as speakers go, no big impedance peaks and valleys (last time I measured, anyway) due to their planar-dynamic design.

That said, I am powering my L/R/C Maggies with an emotiva XPA-3 and they seem to like it (me too).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #997 of 3821 Old 06-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Member
 
Ballsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Pioneer does not rate the SC-25 for 4 ohms; min 6 ohms. But, the THX certification they claim requires the amp to drive a 3.2 ohm load to pass, sooo... My SC-27 (same amps as your 25, I believe) is not having amy issues with my Magnepans. Check it does not get too hot, but many folk are running 4-ohm loads with SC-25/27 AVRs. One reason I got the Pioneer is all the talk of good the amps sounded and how they seemed to handle most any load. One plus is that Magnepans are a pretty benign load as speakers go, no big impedance peaks and valleys (last time I measured, anyway) due to their planar-dynamic design.

That said, I am powering my L/R/C Maggies with an emotiva XPA-3 and they seem to like it (me too).

Hi Don, thanks for the response!
cool as a cucumber so far I am happy to say no heat problems, what kind of maggies do you have?

wow that emotive xpa-3 looks like a monster, would it could it work with my
.6's qr, could they take that bad boy? whew! wouldnt that look good on my audio cabinet 599 not bad either! thanks
Ballsey is offline  
post #998 of 3821 Old 06-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Member
 
Ballsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have a manual for the .6 QR the link provided has one for the 1.6 but not the .6

thanks!
Ballsey is offline  
post #999 of 3821 Old 06-09-2010, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 6,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Call Magnepan -- they are very friendly folk!

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #1000 of 3821 Old 06-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Member
 
Ballsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Call Magnepan -- they are very friendly folk!


Thank you!
Ballsey is offline  
post #1001 of 3821 Old 06-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsey View Post

Hi Don, thanks for the response!
cool as a cucumber so far I am happy to say no heat problems, what kind of maggies do you have?

wow that emotive xpa-3 looks like a monster, would it could it work with my
.6's qr, could they take that bad boy? whew! wouldnt that look good on my audio cabinet 599 not bad either! thanks

I've never listened to the Pioneer receiver you have, but the ICE power amps have been around for a while now. They have some good and some bad points. The good is that they produce copious amounts of power without the heavyweight power supplies and heat sinks that are needed for a more traditional Class AB amp. The bad is that some people have reported that they don't care for how they sound on their speakers.

The fact that Pioneer chooses not to rate them for a 4 ohm load would concern me a bit if I was going to be using it with 4 ohm speakers as well.

What matters is how those amps sound to you driving your speakers. Magnepans do like power, but a good honest 140 watts per channel is decent power output. I'd still feel better if Pioneer published a 4 ohm output spec for them though.

I own two pairs of Magnepans now..a pair of 1.6's and a pair of MMG's with a pair of 1.7's on order. (and hopefully arriving real soon since they were ordered on March 3rd)

I use separates for all my speakers...with an Emotiva XPA-2 rated at 500 watts per channel at 4 ohms driving the 1.6's and a Threshold S500e also rated at 500 watts per channel at 4 ohms driving the MMGs. Those work perfectly with the Maggies.
strindl is offline  
post #1002 of 3821 Old 06-10-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 6,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsey View Post

Hi Don, thanks for the response!
cool as a cucumber so far I am happy to say no heat problems, what kind of maggies do you have?

wow that emotive xpa-3 looks like a monster, would it could it work with my
.6's qr, could they take that bad boy? whew! wouldnt that look good on my audio cabinet 599 not bad either! thanks

Sure thing!

Magnepans are pretty "nice" loads, unlike many conventional dynamic speakers, and thus I expect fewer issues than you might expect. The ICE amps are available in many flavors, and all I have read indicates Pioneer used good ones in the SC-25/27 AVRs. The Pio consistently leads reviews on sound quality, and lots of those reviews used 4-ohm speakers. I even found one driving 3.6's and the reviewer loved the setup.

I have an old (ca. 1988) pair of MG-IIIa's, a new CC3, and a new pair of MC1's as surrounds. Only the surrounds are being driven by the Pioneer; I've been meaning to try it on the mains, just haven't had the gumption to get back behind the console AGAIN and fiddle with it all (too busy enjoying what I have). I have a friend who was driving B&W 803D's with his SC-27 before picking up monoblocks (emotiva XPA-1s) and it did OK. I think that's actually a harsher load than my Maggies despite their nominal impedances. I do not doubt at all that the Pio amps would have problems with some loads, however.

Maggies, like any planer speaker, are not terribly efficient and thus like some power (imo). I upgraded from a 120 W/ch AVR to the XPA-3 before getting the Pioneer (thus my reluctance to swap things around after finally getting everything placed and wired to my satisfaction). So, I can't provide a direct comparison (someday, promise!) I can say the emotiva made a BIG difference in sound. I seriously considered getting an XPA-2 for L/R, relegating the XPA-3 to center and surrounds, but just can't justify it. (Even with wife's blessing, how's that for self restraint! )

The XPA-3 (or whatever -- also look at their UPA line) would do fine for you and you wouldn't need to upgrade if you go up the Maggie line. Most speakers are hurt by under powering, or were; that's less an issue today since overall power levels are up from the 25 - 50 W/ch that was common twenty years ago. However, at reasonable volume or a little above, I still think a little extra power is better that not enough.

The sweetest mine have ever sounded was biamped using an arc D79 on top and Counterpoint SA-440 for the bass. Not as tight as a solid-state amp setup like Krell or Levinson (my other choices at the time, and they did sound good), but the sound was just gorgeous with the tube stages. Not as low in distortion, not as tight deep bass, but the sound was magic. Still have those amps, but they need a lot of new components and TLC to bring back alive and I just don't have time. I was able to listen to the emotivas, as well as some other amps, and got hooked by the incredible price/performance ratio. Ditto my new subs; my old servo sub (a custom design) also needed work and the Rythmiks I got are as good to my ears as the $3k and up beasts I was trying out. Granted my ears are getting awfully old...

Enjoy! - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #1003 of 3821 Old 06-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Member
 
PaulForster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Ballsey,


You asked about CD players. With your digital-capable amp, I would suggest getting something that has 1) either HDMI output or optical output, 2) has whatever features you want (DVD capable, 5-6 disks...), and 3) is as cheap as you can find. As long as you have a digital signal going to your amp, it ought to sound the same regardless of the source. I have an Onkyo TX-SR806, which is a slightly lower quality amp than yours, but fairly comparable. I use an older Sony 5-disk DVD player for my CD needs (hooked in through an optical cable), and it sounds fantastic. I doublt I could sell it for more than $20 through Craigslist, but I doubt I could improve on it in terms of sound.

Unless you're considering sending an analog signal to your amp, where a top-of-the-line CD player might offer real advantages, there is no reason to throw money at something producing a digital signal. All you want is something to get the digits from your CD to your amp.

I hope that makes sense.


Paul
PaulForster is offline  
post #1004 of 3821 Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Member
 
Ballsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

I spent a lot of time listening to the MG12s and MMGs (thanks to the dealer for letting me borrow them a couple of times) and noticed that with both I was noticing lack of high end. When I say lack of high end it is not like the treble is not there. let me explain.

if I move my head to one side so that my ears are directly pointing to one speaker I was hearing the highs but the sound that is at the center of the soundstage lacks the same treble. It is not due to the slant of the MMGs. I did tilt them so that they were very close to vertical, using a wedge. I also tried different placements but still the same (with both MMGs and MG12s). Even the treble that I heard when I moved my head was a bit harsh.

I was planning on getting the MG12s but I bought the MMG as I was not sure I was hearing the full potential of these speakers. I got it from the dealer as he said I could still trade up for MG12s. This time I decided to try them by raising the MMGs as they had the same lack of treble when placed them on the floor. I put them on speaker boxes that are 14'' high and what a world of difference! I heard the sweet treble at the center and also it did not change when I moved my head side to side. It is also not harsh and it is very laid back.

Now I want to go back and borrow the MG12s and try them the same way. I have other sturdy wooden boxes which are 11'' tall that I made before for placing the rear speaker stands of my old box speakers and I will use them now.

But before I do that I was wondering if any one noticed significant improvement in treble after raising the MG12s.

Hi All, newbie here... yeah I am addicted to magnepans....

same questions on the factory stands for my .6 QR , tonight I am gonna try kinda what you mentioned here, though I dont have the harshness with the high ends.. but if I stand up from my listening postion its a huge difference in the detail and lack of crisp sound in the soundstage....

anyone have exp with the .6's on the factory angle stands and a preferred height modifaction?


thanks
Ballsey is offline  
post #1005 of 3821 Old 06-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Member
 
Ballsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulForster View Post

Hi Ballsey,


You asked about CD players. With your digital-capable amp, I would suggest getting something that has 1) either HDMI output or optical output, 2) has whatever features you want (DVD capable, 5-6 disks...), and 3) is as cheap as you can find. As long as you have a digital signal going to your amp, it ought to sound the same regardless of the source. I have an Onkyo TX-SR806, which is a slightly lower quality amp than yours, but fairly comparable. I use an older Sony 5-disk DVD player for my CD needs (hooked in through an optical cable), and it sounds fantastic. I doublt I could sell it for more than $20 through Craigslist, but I doubt I could improve on it in terms of sound.

Unless you're considering sending an analog signal to your amp, where a top-of-the-line CD player might offer real advantages, there is no reason to throw money at something producing a digital signal. All you want is something to get the digits from your CD to your amp.

I hope that makes sense.


Paul

Paul, makes perfect sense and it's music to my $$$ ears

thanks!
Ballsey is offline  
post #1006 of 3821 Old 06-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Member
 
Johnnycloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any thoughts on the appropriate rooom size for 1.7s?
Johnnycloud is offline  
post #1007 of 3821 Old 06-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Member
 
Ballsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maggies, like any planer speaker, are not terribly efficient and thus like some power (imo). I upgraded from a 120 W/ch AVR to the XPA-3 before getting the Pioneer (thus my reluctance to swap things around after finally getting everything placed and wired to my satisfaction). So, I can't provide a direct comparison (someday, promise!) I can say the emotiva made a BIG difference in sound. I seriously considered getting an XPA-2 for L/R, relegating the XPA-3 to center and surrounds, but just can't justify it. (Even with wife's blessing, how's that for self restraint! )

Don, lol.... I am impressed that's some restraint.



speaking to that point ya know I am almost to that point that {other then bumping up to the 1.7's-and that's a maybe 2-3 years} other then some power and my centers I am really OK and content- happy and don't have the need to pour thousands, OK maybe 2k more and I am done...I am 46 and what I got now though it might be much to some but I cant wait for the next time I get to fire my magnepans up- its almost..... juvenile....lol



yeah tonight Lindsay Buckingham, Amanda Marshall along with some tori Amos on the guest list and glenn livet....three fingers
Ballsey is offline  
post #1008 of 3821 Old 06-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsey View Post

Hi All, newbie here... yeah I am addicted to magnepans....

same questions on the factory stands for my .6 QR , tonight I am gonna try kinda what you mentioned here, though I dont have the harshness with the high ends.. but if I stand up from my listening postion its a huge difference in the detail and lack of crisp sound in the soundstage....

anyone have exp with the .6's on the factory angle stands and a preferred height modifaction?


thanks

I was looking for information on the .6qr's that you have because I don't recall that model. I'm having trouble finding anything about them on the web..when I search I keep getting a slew of hits on the 1.6qr but nothing on a .6qr.

It dawned on me that it would be really handy, and I'm sure appreciated by Magnepan customers , if Magnepan would put an archive of their discontinued models on their website. I'll bet I'm not the only one who would like that resource.
strindl is offline  
post #1009 of 3821 Old 06-11-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 6,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I am thinking like strindl (scary) -- I do not recall an 0.6 model, or any sort of 0.x. I suspect the leading number "1" was missing/rubbed away.

Last time I called Magnepan I mentioned the web site. It is clear they are a speaker company and not filled with IT types. They may be working to upgrade it, slowly... I also mentioned the time they must spend on the phone. The lady said, and I am attempting to quote, "We prefer to relate to our customers through the phone instead of some faceless computer. Call anytime!" It was the best call I have made to any manufacturer in a long time, fwiw.

Regarding room size: You need a few (2' - 3') behind and about 10' in front of the speakers to the listening spot for the best sound. Adding absorbers (sound panels) behind them can let you get them closer to the rear wall, and of course side panels to kill the early reflections always helps. You can put them in smaller rooms but bipolars of all flavors like a little more room to sound their best. IMO!

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #1010 of 3821 Old 06-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just found some info on that .6qr magnepan model. ... in my Orion Blue Book for Audio. It was manufactured from 1994 to 1997 and is a two way speaker with a quasi ribbon tweeter and a planer magnetic mid woofer.

It sold for $995/ pair. I'm thinking it was the precursor to the MMG which came out the same time the .6qr was discontinued.
strindl is offline  
post #1011 of 3821 Old 06-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Member
 
Ballsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post

I just found some info on that .6qr magnepan model. ... in my Orion Blue Book for Audio. It was manufactured from 1994 to 1997 and is a two way speaker with a quasi ribbon tweeter and a planer magnetic mid woofer.

It sold for $995/ pair. I'm thinking it was the precursor to the MMG which came out the same time the .6qr was discontinued.


nice job Strindl,thank you.
on ebay there is a brochure for sale that has a picture of the 1.6 and its little brother the .6- I love em, though would like to hear the 1.7's with three way- bet it sounds tatsty.

yeah magnepan does not have them on the website, nor have I seen very many for sale. I paid 365 for em, can't believe the sound for a 15 year old speaker- I play em for family and freinds- when I tell em after they hear em- they are like NO WAY!

Yes way....

its rainy day here, but the maggies are cranking inside today!

have a great weekend every one.
Ballsey is offline  
post #1012 of 3821 Old 06-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Member
 
Ballsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post

I've never listened to the Pioneer receiver you have, but the ICE power amps have been around for a while now. They have some good and some bad points. The good is that they produce copious amounts of power without the heavyweight power supplies and heat sinks that are needed for a more traditional Class AB amp. The bad is that some people have reported that they don't care for how they sound on their speakers.

The fact that Pioneer chooses not to rate them for a 4 ohm load would concern me a bit if I was going to be using it with 4 ohm speakers as well.

What matters is how those amps sound to you driving your speakers. Magnepans do like power, but a good honest 140 watts per channel is decent power output. I'd still feel better if Pioneer published a 4 ohm output spec for them though.

I own two pairs of Magnepans now..a pair of 1.6's and a pair of MMG's with a pair of 1.7's on order. (and hopefully arriving real soon since they were ordered on March 3rd)

I use separates for all my speakers...with an Emotiva XPA-2 rated at 500 watts per channel at 4 ohms driving the 1.6's and a Threshold S500e also rated at 500 watts per channel at 4 ohms driving the MMGs. Those work perfectly with the Maggies.


nice reply again and thank you, from my research from the local long term old school audio stores guys I spoke to prior to my purchase of the SC 25, they said Pioneer did not want to rate them at 4 ohms because they wanted their stats on spec sheets to be clean and easy and did not want to draw unwanted attention/ scrutiny while marketing the sales purpose- but that the Icepower was more then stable enough for magnepan use- ture or not.... that sold me. and they did not carry pioneer so? its greek to me and the reason I asked.. I am learning lot here so thanks

when I want a good steak I dont stick my head up the cows you now what I look for a nice loin cut- I just ask the butcher- lol.... I am joking

I am not that tech savy- yet... anyone know of a good read on audio education?
for me so far so good up 3 months...

I am digging that Emotiva though- soon very soon.
Ballsey is offline  
post #1013 of 3821 Old 06-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsey View Post


I am not that tech savy- yet... anyone know of a good read on audio education?
for me so far so good up 3 months...

I am digging that Emotiva though- soon very soon.


In fact..I do indeed know of a great book that would be a good read for anyone interested in high end audio equipment. It's titled

The Complete Guide To High End Audio by Robert Harley.

Here is a link to it's information on the amazon website, but obviously, you can buy a copy from any good book seller.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide...6625307&sr=1-1
strindl is offline  
post #1014 of 3821 Old 06-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just checked with Magnepan on the delivery time for a pair of 1.7's. I ordered my pair from a local dealer on March 3rd, and Magnepan said they are way behind on fulfilling orders for them. They were taken by surprise a bit by the number of orders being placed. Mine are still about 60 days out.

Just a FYI.
strindl is offline  
post #1015 of 3821 Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 6,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Interesting... And explains why the center speaker stand ship date is still "TBD". Good to see they are doing a good business, but that's a pretty long lead time. OTOH, I had to wait six months for a trumpet build, but some things are worth the wait.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #1016 of 3821 Old 06-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Member
 
Ballsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post

I just checked with Magnepan on the delivery time for a pair of 1.7's. I ordered my pair from a local dealer on March 3rd, and Magnepan said they are way behind on fulfilling orders for them. They were taken by surprise a bit by the number of orders being placed. Mine are still about 60 days out.

Just a FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Interesting... And explains why the center speaker stand ship date is still "TBD". Good to see they are doing a good business, but that's a pretty long lead time. OTOH, I had to wait six months for a trumpet build, but some things are worth the wait.

Don is getting new centers, Strindl is getting new 1.7's.... I am so jealious, cant wait to hear your reviews! I live 25-30 min from the company...


ps

thanks for the book referral. I like the cover... and the second line item in the in the index

setting your budget- really?
Ballsey is offline  
post #1017 of 3821 Old 06-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsey View Post

Don is getting new centers, Strindl is getting new 1.7's.... I am so jealious, cant wait to hear your reviews! I live 25-30 min from the company...


ps

thanks for the book referral. I like the cover... and the second line item in the in the index

setting your budget- really?

I bought the first edition of that book when it came out back in 1994. It's been revised a few times since then to keep up with new trends like the surround sound systems available now. It's a well written book that doesn't get too technical so that it's tedious to read.

Robert Harley has been around the high end audio community for a long time and is currently the editor of The Absolute Sound Magazine.

I'm being patient waiting for my 1.7's to be built...knowing that I'll be happy with them in my home for many years to come. I can always stop by my local dealer and listen to the demo pair again if I need a 1.7 fix. In the mean time I'll be content with my 1.6's.
strindl is offline  
post #1018 of 3821 Old 06-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Member
 
Ballsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post

I bought the first edition of that book when it came out back in 1994. It's been revised a few times since then to keep up with new trends like the surround sound systems available now. It's a well written book that doesn't get too technical so that it's tedious to read.

Robert Harley has been around the high end audio community for a long time and is currently the editor of The Absolute Sound Magazine.

I'm being patient waiting for my 1.7's to be built...knowing that I'll be happy with them in my home for many years to come. I can always stop by my local dealer and listen to the demo pair again if I need a 1.7 fix. In the mean time I'll be content with my 1.6's.

thanks again a local book store has it so I will be picking it up!
Ballsey is offline  
post #1019 of 3821 Old 06-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My 1.7's are here! My 1.7's are here!

I just unloaded them , wiggled them into the house and put the box on the floor in my lower level. I opened the box there and carried them up one at a time to my living room where they will reside.



Now I just have to put the stands on, affix the Magneplaner plaque and hook them up. I think along the bottom in the center would be appropriate.
strindl is offline  
post #1020 of 3821 Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 6,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Oooh, new toys! Let us know how they play! - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off