The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1081 of 3684 Old 07-30-2010, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kevin R. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about 50% music and 50% movies. While I have a number of SACDs, I more often than not just send 2-channels to the 1.7s. I've got a very solid center image with the 1.7's and they are really incredible with acoustical music and vocals (Diana Krall, Alison Krauss, etc.). However, yesterday I put on some Black Sabbath and they too were a lot of fun on the 1.7s.

If movies are secondary, you may be happy with the MMG for occasional use. I'm not saying its a bad speaker. It's excellent for its price range and certainly has the "Maggie" sound. It's just not in the same league as the 1.7s.

ISF Certified
Kevin R. Anderson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1082 of 3684 Old 07-31-2010, 12:11 AM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R. Anderson View Post

I'm about 50% music and 50% movies. While I have a number of SACDs, I more often than not just send 2-channels to the 1.7s. I've got a very solid center image with the 1.7's and they are really incredible with acoustical music and vocals (Diana Krall, Alison Krauss, etc.). However, yesterday I put on some Black Sabbath and they too were a lot of fun on the 1.7s.

If movies are secondary, you may be happy with the MMG for occasional use. I'm not saying its a bad speaker. It's excellent for its price range and certainly has the "Maggie" sound. It's just not in the same league as the 1.7s.



I think I'm going to take a trip to my magnepan dealer tomorrow and take a listen to the CC3. I may even arrange to bring it home for the weekend and try it out in my set up. That dealer is closed on sundays and mondays so he lets me take a demo home for a couple days then.

My use in this system will be exclusively music. I haven't watched a movie on my living room system in years. I do have DVD- Audio capability as well as DTS 5.1 surround music files that I play on it..including a Diana Krall. that sounds incredible in DTS 5.1.


Most of my music listening will be two channel CD's I have ripped to my server though. I've been a fan of using surround sound since the mid 70's and the Dynaco Quadapter. I like the effect of some of the surround modes for music that are available on a modern processor.

With the 1.7's, that Infinity center channel just doesn't sound right though. It diminishes the SQ instead of enhancing it. If I really like the CC3 I could call on Monday and cancel the mmg c order, but then I'd wonder if I would have liked it or not.
strindl is offline  
post #1083 of 3684 Old 07-31-2010, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kevin R. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had similar thoughts about going with a new center channel and I'm very glad I tried out the MMGc. I first heard about Maggies in December, and I ordered the MMG series (2 sides and center) because of the trial period offered by Magnepan. I really loved the Maggie sound and was very happy with the upgrade. However, when I read about the 1.7s, I immediately placed an order and was fortunate to get the first shipment. It was only when the 1.7s were in place that I became less satisfied with the MMGc. I was still within the return period, and sending all three back was not a hassle (just be sure and keep all of the shipping boxes).

I think it is a good idea to first try out the MMGc because it may be sufficient for your purposes. I was glad to try out the MMGc because it made it an easy and sure decision to upgrade to the CC3.

As an aside, I do listen to a lot more music now that I have the 1.7s. Its like hearing your favorite songs anew and I love the authentic sound (e.g., uncolored by a speaker cabinet) of the instruments and vocals.

Also, I had a quad 8-track tape deck with an amp that would let you run phonograph outputs through the quad processor (summing the out of phase in the recording and sending it to the rears). I remember putting on "Witchy Woman" by the Eagles and when the back up chorus came out of the rear speakers, I was forever hooked on audio. With the 1.7s, I think I've finally reached Nirvana.

ISF Certified
Kevin R. Anderson is offline  
post #1084 of 3684 Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM
Newbie
 
jblaschk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering how the 1.7 availability situation is currently since it has been pretty quiet on here the last couple weeks. I am waiting to place an order until production has caught up with the waiting list. Anyone on here taken delivery recently or heard anything from their dealer?
jblaschk is offline  
post #1085 of 3684 Old 07-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaschk View Post

Just wondering how the 1.7 availability situation is currently since it has been pretty quiet on here the last couple weeks. I am waiting to place an order until production has caught up with the waiting list. Anyone on here taken delivery recently or heard anything from their dealer?

According to my dealer, the backup of orders has been whittled down and 1.7's are now more normal for delivery times.
strindl is offline  
post #1086 of 3684 Old 07-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R. Anderson View Post

I had similar thoughts about going with a new center channel and I'm very glad I tried out the MMGc. I first heard about Maggies in December, and I ordered the MMG series (2 sides and center) because of the trial period offered by Magnepan. I really loved the Maggie sound and was very happy with the upgrade. However, when I read about the 1.7s, I immediately placed an order and was fortunate to get the first shipment. It was only when the 1.7s were in place that I became less satisfied with the MMGc. I was still within the return period, and sending all three back was not a hassle (just be sure and keep all of the shipping boxes).

I think it is a good idea to first try out the MMGc because it may be sufficient for your purposes. I was glad to try out the MMGc because it made it an easy and sure decision to upgrade to the CC3.

As an aside, I do listen to a lot more music now that I have the 1.7s. Its like hearing your favorite songs anew and I love the authentic sound (e.g., uncolored by a speaker cabinet) of the instruments and vocals.

Also, I had a quad 8-track tape deck with an amp that would let you run phonograph outputs through the quad processor (summing the out of phase in the recording and sending it to the rears). I remember putting on "Witchy Woman" by the Eagles and when the back up chorus came out of the rear speakers, I was forever hooked on audio. With the 1.7s, I think I've finally reached Nirvana.


I went to the maggie dealer but they didn't have any of the center channel speakers on display or in stock, so I couldn't listen to them. I guess I'll just wait until I get the mmg c and see how it sounds in my setup. If I like it, problem solved, if I find it lacking vs the 1.7's, I'll just order a CC3.


BTW..what are you using for surrounds with your 1.7's and cc3?
strindl is offline  
post #1087 of 3684 Old 07-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Member
 
ocezam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After considering Maggies the last few months, my wife and I went to Denver to listen to Maggies for the first time today. They had MG12's, 1.7's, and 3.6's set up to audition. The 1.7's were set up with a CC3 and MC1 surrounds and could play either 2.0 or 5.1.

I went up there expecting and wanting to like the MG12's. We listened to them first. I wasn't blown away but very much enjoyed the open soundfield. My wife, not an audiophile and only there to support me (silently hoping I'd just be happy with my Polks). Thought they sounded "nice" but really weren't any better than my R50's.

We went to the 1.7 room and listened to the same CD (Dire Straits). NOW I WAS BLOWN AWAY! Man did they sound fine! The soundstage was huge! Before I said anything, my wife exclaimed "Those are much better!" instantly knowing she opened a can of worms. I asked here if they were too big aesthetically..."no they look fine". I'm thinking "wow do I really love you"!

We turned the music down some and discussed finances. We could buy the bigger set but really should buy the 12's.

We went back to the MG12 room and played with the placement a lot. Toe in more and less. Closer and farther from the walls and from us. We sat on pillows on the floor in an attempt to emulate the speakers on stands so our ears would be more in the middle of the panels. In short we did everything we could to make ourselves really want to buy these speakers. After a half hour or so the speakers seemed to be sounding better. To my ears much better than my Polks. My wife was starting to be happier about spending less money.

We went back to the 1.7's. We listened for a few minutes... I said "these sound way better". "Yep, way better", she said. Bigger sound field, more detail.

I guess my question is this:
For those that have heard both, is the 1.7 significantly different than the 1.6?

A 1.6 used is better in tune (pun intended) with my budget than a new 1.7. Will I be as happy with it? Will it more resemble the MG12 sound or the 1.7 sound?

I didn't write down the specs of the amps on each, but he did say they were both being driven by 125 Watts. They were in different but similar rooms. I don't want to buy a 1.6 and find it significantly less than a 1.7.

Note: No disrespect to MG12 owners or MMG owners or anyone else. These were my thoughts on this day, in this setting.
ocezam is offline  
post #1088 of 3684 Old 07-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocezam View Post

After considering Maggies the last few months, my wife and I went to Denver to listen to Maggies for the first time today. They had MG12's, 1.7's, and 3.6's set up to audition. The 1.7's were set up with a CC3 and MC1 surrounds and could play either 2.0 or 5.1.

I went up there expecting and wanting to like the MG12's. We listened to them first. I wasn't blown away but very much enjoyed the open soundfield. My wife, not an audiophile and only there to support me (silently hoping I'd just be happy with my Polks). Thought they sounded "nice" but really weren't any better than my R50's.

We went to the 1.7 room and listened to the same CD (Dire Straits). NOW I WAS BLOWN AWAY! Man did they sound fine! The soundstage was huge! Before I said anything, my wife exclaimed "Those are much better!" instantly knowing she opened a can of worms. I asked here if they were too big aesthetically..."no they look fine". I'm thinking "wow do I really love you"!

We turned the music down some and discussed finances. We could buy the bigger set but really should buy the 12's.

We went back to the MG12 room and played with the placement a lot. Toe in more and less. Closer and farther from the walls and from us. We sat on pillows on the floor in an attempt to emulate the speakers on stands so our ears would be more in the middle of the panels. In short we did everything we could to make ourselves really want to buy these speakers. After a half hour or so the speakers seemed to be sounding better. To my ears much better than my Polks. My wife was starting to be happier about spending less money.

We went back to the 1.7's. We listened for a few minutes... I said "these sound way better". "Yep, way better", she said. Bigger sound field, more detail.

I guess my question is this:
For those that have heard both, is the 1.7 significantly different than the 1.6?

A 1.6 used is better in tune (pun intended) with my budget than a new 1.7. Will I be as happy with it? Will it more resemble the MG12 sound or the 1.7 sound?

I didn't write down the specs of the amps on each, but he did say they were both being driven by 125 Watts. They were in different but similar rooms. I don't want to buy a 1.6 and find it significantly less than a 1.7.

Note: No disrespect to MG12 owners or MMG owners or anyone else. These were my thoughts on this day, in this setting.



Congratulations on being one of the converted. It's hard to go back to box speakers once you've heard a good audition of a pair of magnepans.

I own a pair of 1.6's as well as a pair of 1.7's so let me see if I can articulate my perception of their differences and similarities. The first thing I'll say is that either is better sounding than the MG12's. One of the big differences is the physical size..especially the height between the 12 and the 1.6/1.7. The 12 is shorter and because of that and the way a planer speaker's treble response doesn't have near as much vertical dispersion as say a dome tweeter in a box speaker, when you stand up listening to a 12, you lose some of the high frequency response.

That is not an issue with the 1.6 or 1.7 because they are each tall enough to avoid it. The larger size of the 1.6 and 1.7 panels also provides a larger image.

The 1.6 and the 1.7 are physically identical in size. The insides are quite different though. First, the 1.6 is a two way design while the 1.7 is three way. The super tweeter in the 1.7 makes for a noticeable improvement in high end extension. That manifests itself in added detail in the sound.

The quasi ribbon design directly controls a larger area of the mylar membrane than the planer magnetic design...that's just the physics of it. The 1.6 uses the quasi ribbon on the tweeter and planer magnetic for the woofer. The 1.7 is all quasi ribbon. Because the entire frequency spectrum in the 1.7 is produced by the exact same type of driver, there is an added coherence to the sound. It all blends together seamlessly.


I bought the 1.7's because when I demoed them in march, they sounded better than the 1.6's I have enjoyed for 9 years. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy my 1.6's, I just moved them into my bedroom system and put the 1.7's in the living room...they both sound like real music.

Were I in your position, I would go with a used 1.6 ahead of a pair of new MG12's. Used 1.6's are a great buy now after the release of the 1.7. If you can swing the added cost though, the 1.7's do sound better.
strindl is offline  
post #1089 of 3684 Old 08-01-2010, 05:48 AM
KKM
Member
 
KKM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay area
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ocezam,

And if you do consider a 1.6, make sure that it is a recent production since some 1.6's could be about a decade old. Good luck.
KKM is offline  
post #1090 of 3684 Old 08-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Member
 
ocezam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post

Congratulations on being one of the converted. It's hard to go back to box speakers once you've heard a good audition of a pair of magnepans.

I own a pair of 1.6's as well as a pair of 1.7's so let me see if I can articulate my perception of their differences and similarities. The first thing I'll say is that either is better sounding than the MG12's. One of the big differences is the physical size..especially the height between the 12 and the 1.6/1.7. The 12 is shorter and because of that and the way a planer speaker's treble response doesn't have near as much vertical dispersion as say a dome tweeter in a box speaker, when you stand up listening to a 12, you lose some of the high frequency response.

That is not an issue with the 1.6 or 1.7 because they are each tall enough to avoid it. The larger size of the 1.6 and 1.7 panels also provides a larger image.

The 1.6 and the 1.7 are physically identical in size. The insides are quite different though. First, the 1.6 is a two way design while the 1.7 is three way. The super tweeter in the 1.7 makes for a noticeable improvement in high end extension. That manifests itself in added detail in the sound.

The quasi ribbon design directly controls a larger area of the mylar membrane than the planer magnetic design...that's just the physics of it. The 1.6 uses the quasi ribbon on the tweeter and planer magnetic for the woofer. The 1.7 is all quasi ribbon. Because the entire frequency spectrum in the 1.7 is produced by the exact same type of driver, there is an added coherence to the sound. It all blends together seamlessly.


I bought the 1.7's because when I demoed them in march, they sounded better than the 1.6's I have enjoyed for 9 years. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy my 1.6's, I just moved them into my bedroom system and put the 1.7's in the living room...they both sound like real music.

Were I in your position, I would go with a used 1.6 ahead of a pair of new MG12's. Used 1.6's are a great buy now after the release of the 1.7.
If you can swing the added cost though, the 1.7's do sound better.

This is my dilemma. I can swing the money, but only because I usually buy frugally and I am not sure if this is another case where I'd be better off buying a used discontinued model, saving money for the time only the newest and best will do. Or is this THE time only the newest and best will Do?

Thanks for the response.
ocezam is offline  
post #1091 of 3684 Old 08-01-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kevin R. Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I always amortize cost over expected hours of usage. If you listen to the 1.7s an average of 4 hours a week for 10 years, it works out to about $1 per hour. Cheap thrills indeed.

If it is something I really love and know that it will be regularly used over a number of years, I've never regretted buying the best item I could reasonably afford. That's really just good value.

ISF Certified
Kevin R. Anderson is offline  
post #1092 of 3684 Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaschk View Post

Just wondering how the 1.7 availability situation is currently since it has been pretty quiet on here the last couple weeks. I am waiting to place an order until production has caught up with the waiting list. Anyone on here taken delivery recently or heard anything from their dealer?

I just spoke with my maggie dealer and he said for the first time since the 1.7 came out, they actually have some in stock for immediate delivery.
strindl is offline  
post #1093 of 3684 Old 08-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Member
 
mightyprops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there folks. I'm new to this forum, so please bare with me! I'm currently in the mood to upgrade my home stereo, went to a few higher end audio dealers, and was just mightily impressed with the 1.7. I do believe that will be my speaker of choice.

Unfortunately, I currently own a Denon 789 (which I enjoy) and use it both for home theater and listening to music. In all my research I see the 1.7's get rave reviews, but that they need ample power to really make them sing. Thus my questions:

1) Will a Denon 789 (90 wpc) adequately drive the 1.7's? I'm skeptical of this as the owners manual warns against using speakers rated below 6 ohms. Are there any testimonies out there?
2) As 100% of the music I listen to anymore is streamed via iTunes (256kbps and Apple Lossless) and Pandora (192kbps premium membership) via an Apple Airport Express, I'm also considering the Peachtree Nova (at 80wpc) or Decco2 (40wpc) for the preamp and DAC combo. Can anyone tell me if that combination adequately drives the 1.7, or do you all still recommend a separate amp to drive the 1.7?
3) Should I go with an external amp, what's a fair power supply for that amp? 100 wpc? 200 wpc?
4) I currently have a 15 year old (albiet excellent sounding) Velodyne subwoofer rated to 28hz with a crossover frequency fixed at 80hz. Should I use it? Will it negatively or positively complement the 1.7's?

My listening room is not huge, and I don't want to shake the house down, but I likewise don't want to spend $2k on a set of speakers and have them under perform because of my system limitations.

Any help for the newbie is appreciated!
mightyprops is offline  
post #1094 of 3684 Old 08-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
 
vinyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
External amp for sure – forget receivers with these speakers.

You will need an amp that will deliver at minimum 200 WPC @ 4 Ohms more is always better with this speakers – I’m running 2 amps with the 1.6 delivering 550 WPC @ 4 Ohms – look into pro amps like the Crown for the best bang or Emotiva amps – you’re going to hear conflicting opinions in regards to the above – regardless long term you need a high current amp delivering big @ 4 Ohms if you truly want them to perform regardless of volume – IMHO you will pay the big bucks for the speakers and then short change yourself by not supplying the much needed muscle to move the panels - not a speaker for the masses in many ways.

Most people don't know what they want...but, they're pretty sure they haven't got it. ©

vinyl is offline  
post #1095 of 3684 Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cctvtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl View Post

External amp for sure – forget receivers with these speakers.

Not necessarily. Try it, you may like it. Seriously, the Maggies sound excellent with many receivers if you don't need ear-shattering volume. Disregard Denon's advice about speaker impedance; pretty much everyone agrees that most well-made receivers will handle 4 ohm speakers OK. At worst, you should make certain there is plenty of room for cooling above and around the receiver.

I'm using an NAD t785HD and it sounds excellent with my 1.6QR's. Huge improvement over my previous Yamaha RX-V3300. Of course, the t785 has far better amps than most receivers.

Remember, if you double the power, you only add 3db to the volume. To double the volume, you have to multiply the power by a factor of 10.

Be seeing you!
cctvtech is offline  
post #1096 of 3684 Old 08-03-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 5,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I admit it, I was too lazy to read through this whole thread again...

I re-arranged my room yesterday and returned to a 7.1 system after dropping back to 5.1 with MC1's as surrounds. My room is not huge (about 13' x 17' give or take) and has some interesting challenges and initially I did not think I could fit the MC1s as surrounds where they needed to be so I put them on the back wall (on stands). I also had zero movies with 7.1 soundtracks, followed a month or two later by one. However, many of the newer movies seem to use 7.1, and offer better sound overall. After some thought and grunt work, I have relocated them a little forward of the listening spot (couch) and put a pair of little Mirage's as rear surrounds. The mains are MG-IIIa's and a new CC3 center plus a pair of Rythmik F12's in parallel with the L/R speakers (acting as stereo subs, not using the sub out). I am now thinking about replacing the rears with Maggies as well.

1. Has anyone set up a full 7.1 system using all-Magnepans? What do you think? (I am a bit concerned about the sound field and interference effects with all those bipolar radiators; my fronts are very well damped behind them, but not the surrounds or rears to keep a little more spacious "feel" to the sound.)

2. I am considering using a pair of MCWs for the rear surrounds to save money and because I do not think there's a whole lot of info there even on the latest soundtracks. I got the MC1s to blend better with my MG-IIIa's, but am thinking the little MCWs would be good enough for rears, Thoughts?

I am also considering a center speaker-stand if I can figure out how to place it; I love the idea of more extended center range, but placing it is a pain and with my new room treatment the image is good as-is so I am less worried about the center's limited LF response. The speaker-stand production keeps getting pushed out by their 1.7 backlog as well -- from mid-June to now mid-August, maybe...

Curious, thanks - Don

p.s. ocezam -- Cherry Creek? Where do you live? (Just curious about a fellow CO Maggie owner -- PM or just say no if you don't want whacko audio nuts knowing, no worries!)

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
post #1097 of 3684 Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

The mains are MG-IIIa's and a new CC3 center plus a pair of Rythmik F12's in parallel with the L/R speakers (acting as stereo subs, not using the sub out). I am now thinking about replacing the rears with Maggies as well.


Sorry I can't help with the 7.1 question as this is my first try at an all maggie surround system and 5.1 is all the room I have for it in my living room. I have a question for you regarding the center speaker though.

I've been going back and forth trying to decide between the MMG-C and a CC3 center speaker. I ordered an MMG-C on friday but I could still cancel it and order a CC3 from my dealer instead. Did you ever try an MMG-C before you went to the CC3? How do you like the CC3 in your system?
strindl is offline  
post #1098 of 3684 Old 08-03-2010, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 5,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I debated long before getting the CC3. I could not listen to both because the dealer did not have an MMG-C (only available mail order direct from Magnepan) and I did not feel like ordering both to audition at home. I really wish Magnepan would let the dealers stock them as well for these situations! Ultimately I did not even listen to the CC3 due to time limitations and the desire to get my new system up and running, plus I have a long history with Magnepan (as do you, I believe, yes?) so felt safe ordering "unheard". I read a lot of articles and spent a lot of time on the phone with my "local" dealer (an hour-plus away) and Magnepan direct, plus a lot of thinking about the systems I have been through and what I thought "felt right" for me. Very subjective, natch.

Given my MG-III's, everyone felt the CC3 would be a much better match to the speakers. The CCR, the best match, was out of my comfort price range and I wasn't sure the difference would be as great as the step from the MMG-C (single panel) to the CC3 (two panels, bass and quasi-ribbon tweeter; the CCR has a ribbon tweeter to match the 3.x's and 20.1's). The other thing that made me nervous was the relatively high low end on the CCR (200 Hz) compared to the CC3 (80 Hz; the MMG-C is 100 Hz). The single panel on the MMG-C scared me a bit, especially after the dealer and Magnepan were clear that the CC3 was a big step up and would be a much better match to my MG-III's. Even though the MMG-C's response is more limited, that's still a wide range for a single panel to cover well.

That leaves me with a CC3 that I am very happy with, and I am very glad I went for it despite the price difference. I have no regrets, where I would always be wondering and probably, ultimately, upgrading if I had the MMG-C. Unfortunately, it leaves me incompetent to fully answer your question since I have not listened to both. I can say it mates to my MG-III's very well.

FWIWFM, I would order the CC3 to mate with a pair of 1.7's based upon their respective specifications and my gut feel of how they would sound. The center spekaer is awfully important in an HT system so I wouldn't skimp. OTOH, I'd love to hear how the MMG-C fits with your 1.7's...

Sorry I couldn't help more - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
post #1099 of 3684 Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Member
 
ocezam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don H50:
Yeah I live in Colo Spgs and I auditioned MG-12's, 1.7's, and 3.6's at Cherry Creek on Saturday. I guess I auditioned a CC3 too although IMHO it was unlistenable. We listened to two channel for an hour or so then I asked to put a movie on in the 1.7 room specifically to check out the CCR. The center was on the lowest shelf, only an inch, maybe two, above the floor. The TV was 3 or 3.5 feet above the floor. I couldn't even make myself watch the movie (Star Trek) with the voices on the floor. I literally listened for less than 5 minutes.

I told them as I left that they needed to get it off the floor if they wanted to sell any.

I bought two 1.6's off eBay on Sun. Should be here Friday. I sure hope I like 'em as much as I did the 1.7's. We'll see. (or in this case...hear.)

If they work out for me the center will be my next quest.
ocezam is offline  
post #1100 of 3684 Old 08-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocezam View Post


I bought two 1.6's off eBay on Sun. Should be here Friday. I sure hope I like 'em as much as I did the 1.7's. We'll see. (or in this case...hear.)

If they work out for me the center will be my next quest.

If you liked the 1.7's, you're going to love the 1.6's as well. They both have that big expansive deep sound stage. The 1.6's are much closer in SQ to the 1.7's than the MG12's.
strindl is offline  
post #1101 of 3684 Old 08-03-2010, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 5,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I live in Monument and work in the north end of the Springs -- small world!

The 1.6/1.7's are a bit bigger than the 12's, but three-way instead of two-way designs. IMO, asking the panels to cover too wide a range is a problem (for several reasons), so I think that is the largest diference between the 12's and the 1.6/1.7-class speakers. Also means I agree with strindl that you will be happy with the 1.6's. As you move higher in the line you get bigger panels for better (deeper) bass, and true ribbon tweeters for a bit cleaner/more extended high end (not as big a step as the bass, imo).

That same issue is what drove me to the CC3 instead of the MMG-C for a center despite not hearing either first. I just liked the idea of a two-way instead of a single wide-range panel. I have my CC3 set up just below my TV; you are welcome to listen to it sometime. I could not stand having it on the floor (and it wouldn't work in my room anyway -- coffee table would block it).

BTW, you are likely to want some room treatment if you have not already done so. Bipolar panels (dynamic like the Maggies or electrostats) are more sensitive to room reflections than conventional speakers.

Have fun! - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
post #1102 of 3684 Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVChallenged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

Disregard Denon's advice about speaker impedance; pretty much everyone agrees that most well-made receivers will handle 4 ohm speakers OK.

The words in bold above being the key here. Unfortunately, the 789's pedigree is a bit dubious.
HDTVChallenged is offline  
post #1103 of 3684 Old 08-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well..I just called Magnepan and canceled my MMG-C order...just in time as it was all set to ship out this afternoon. after reading some of the replies here, plus talking to my dealer and doing more web searching, I decided I'd be happier with the CC3.

I'll call my dealer as soon as they open this morning and put in the order.
strindl is offline  
post #1104 of 3684 Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 5,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Be sure to tell them to mail my commission... Seriously, I think you'll be happier with the CC3, and won't be second-guessing your choice for the next five years. - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
post #1105 of 3684 Old 08-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Be sure to tell them to mail my commission... Seriously, I think you'll be happier with the CC3, and won't be second-guessing your choice for the next five years. - Don

lol, oh for sure I will. That's what I kept thinking while I was deciding....if I got the MMG-C I would always have that idea in my head that the CC3 would sound better. The MMG-C is a great value though.


I have to figure out how I am going to power that CC3. I'm using a Threshold S500e for the 1.7's and that's 500 watts per channel at 4 ohms. Currently, I use an Adcom 2535 3 or 4 channel configurable amp for the center and surrounds. That amp is 60 watts per channel x's 4 at 8 ohms and 90 watts a channel x's 4 at 4 ohms. Two of those channels can be bridged to provide 200 watts into that channel though...then it's a three channel amp. That's how I'm using it now with my center channel and two surrounds.

I've got other power amps I could use though..an Adcom 555 mk II for example is sitting unused in my spare bedroom. That can be bridged. I could also free up a pair of Threshold S200's and use them. One of those is unused now and the other is passively bi amping my B&W HTM1 Matrix center channel in my main system. I have a free channel in an Emotiva XPA-5 that I could use for that though. That's currently only got 4 of it's channels in use in that main system powering the 4 surrounds.

I haven't looked at the back of a CC3...can you passively bi amp that speaker?
strindl is offline  
post #1106 of 3684 Old 08-04-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 5,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 242
A little amp-happy, are we? I'd probably start with the amp setup you have now and change if needed. You cannot biamp the CC3 (I ran downstairs to check, then realized I could have just looked at the manual, duh!) FWIW, I am currently powering my mains with an XPA-2, the center and surrounds with an XPA-3, and the rears from the AVR (Pioneer SC-27). Sounds good to me. And yeah, I have several amps sitting in storage too, but I am planning to sell them off. (ARC, Counterpoint, Hafler, and an old Eico EL34 -- great amps, but they all need some TLC and I simply haven't the time now.)

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
post #1107 of 3684 Old 08-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Senior Member
 
strindl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

A little amp-happy, are we? I'd probably start with the amp setup you have now and change if needed. You cannot biamp the CC3 (I ran downstairs to check, then realized I could have just looked at the manual, duh!) FWIW, I am currently powering my mains with an XPA-2, the center and surrounds with an XPA-3, and the rears from the AVR (Pioneer SC-27). Sounds good to me. And yeah, I have several amps sitting in storage too, but I am planning to sell them off. (ARC, Counterpoint, Hafler, and an old Eico EL34 -- great amps, but they all need some TLC and I simply haven't the time now.)

I do seem to be a bit over zealous with power amps. I attribute that to my beginnings in good quality audio when I was in college in the early 70's. I bought a Marantz 2230 receiver which was 30 watts per channel and used that with the big Advent speakers. I always felt I needed more power there...but couldn't afford it. I over compensate for that experience now.

My main system is built around Thiel 3.6 main speakers which are very power hungry. I have a pair of Emotiva XPA-1's I can use with them....OR I can use a 97 pound pure class A Threshold SA/4e...I switch back and forth.

The older an audiophile gets, the more spare amps he seems to accumulate.
strindl is offline  
post #1108 of 3684 Old 08-05-2010, 03:42 AM
Member
 
mightyprops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

An XPA-2 in your bedroom system? Wow... I am using an XPA-3 for L/C/R and my AVR's amp for the surrounds. Thinking hard about taking advantage of their sale and getting an XPA-2 for L/R and using the XPA-3 for the rest. A friend is using three (!) XPA-1's on his L/C/R B&W set-up and it sounds great. Don't really need the extra power, but boys and toys...

I'm intrigued by your system, but am struggling with how you've set this up? I understand your running the L/C/R from the XPA-3, but how are you connecting your AVR to the XPA-3? This may seem a trivial question to you, but I'm wrestling with how I'd mate my Denon AVR-789 up to an amplifier and comming up goose eggs. It doesn't have (or seem to have) a way for me to connect my L/C/R channels (or any channel for that matter) to an external amp? Do I just need a better AVR in order to pull this off, or am I missing something grand here?
mightyprops is offline  
post #1109 of 3684 Old 08-05-2010, 05:54 AM
Senior Member
 
vinyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Don is quite knowledgeable and helpful I'm sure he'll explain the requirements to implement a similar setup - now if memory serves the Denon 789 lacks the much coveted pre-outs for all channels - the standard pre-out on most receivers is the LFE/SW channel this is where you're connecting the sub now.

Most people don't know what they want...but, they're pretty sure they haven't got it. ©

vinyl is offline  
post #1110 of 3684 Old 08-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Member
 
mightyprops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl View Post

Don is quite knowledgeable and helpful I’m sure he’ll explain the requirements to implement a similar setup – now if memory serves the Denon 789 lacks the much coveted pre-outs for all channels – the standard pre-out on most receivers is the LFE/SW channel this is where you’re connecting the sub now.

That's correct. The only Pre out I can see is for my sub-woofer (which is currently connected to a decent Velodyne sub). In looking at some of the higher model Denon's (such as the 33XX and up), they have the FR/C/FL/SR/SL/SBR/SBL/SW channel pre outs, but not the 789. Am I... thwarted?
mightyprops is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off