22Likes

post #1981 of 3817 Old 08-27-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 262
A little far for me...

I have been pondering bi-amping again. I used to do this but first dialed in settings with an ARC crossover, then built he desired crossovers (active) into a custom sub circuit plus a first-order HPF I built into my preamp (ARC SP3a1). Now I have been driving myself crazy (a short drive) trying to decide how I might do it again. I need a HPF to my mains to roll them off above the sub, and was thinking I might just as well get a three-way and bi-amp my old Maggies again.

Whilst still pondering other solutions, one possibility is to pick up an inexpensive three-way like the dbx324s just to see how it works. I thought of a miniDSP, which is appealing to the geek in me and for its vast flexibility, but I sort of hate the idea of another A/D-D/A conversion in the chain, especially since my AVR already does a decent job and has low jitter, and they don't make the one I would want in a box. My time for DIY is more limited these days... The catch with the dbx, and most all other crossovers I have seen that are <$500, is that everybody now uses Linkwitz-Riley cascades (vs. Sallen-Key or some other topology). These are relatively easy to manufacture and provide well-matched response around the crossover, with appropriate slopes to avoid a "bump" or "hole" at the crossover point, but do not allow the asymmetric response Magnepans normally use (e.g. my MG-IIIa's have a 3rd-order LPF at 300 Hz, and a 1st-order HPF at 800 Hz). Most inexpensive, and for that matter quite a few of the expensive, crossovers do not provide that sort of response. They provide 4th-order (24 dB/octave) response at the crossover point, no independent control of the LPF and HPF frequencies and slopes.

So (finally!) my question is: Have you implemented a "normal" crossover with your Maggies, e.g. a LR configuration at a single frequency, same slope low and high, and if so how did you like it?

Curious - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 3817 Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don,

I don't use a crossover. I run the Maggies full range from the balanced output of my Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 and the subs from the single ended output 40hz and below (adjusted on the PSB 5i sub). This works pretty well for me in my room, but I will tell you that I run the volume on the sub between 1.5 and 3 as to not over do it. The other option was to use the passive crossover in the subs by running the speaker cable from the amp to the sub and then to the Maggies. That was Nate Mansfield at Kimber Kable's idea, but EJ Sarmento at Wyred 4 Sound recommended against it. The Mapleshade guys agree with Kimber by the way. I have not tried it, but I may buy some 12TC on AudiogoN and give it a shot.

Warm regards,

Frank
post #1983 of 3817 Old 08-28-2011, 10:43 AM

Robert,

What are your thoughts on the MYE stands? I'm considering a pair. I've read they do wonders for the 1.6 but the 1.7 are supposed to be more ridgid which may reduce their benefit. At $625 a pair...
post #1984 of 3817 Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech HiFi View Post

Robert,

What are your thoughts on the MYE stands? I'm considering a pair. I've read they do wonders for the 1.6 but the 1.7 are supposed to be more ridgid which may reduce their benefit. At $625 a pair...

I have used the Mye stands with the 1.7's and certainly recommend them. Just received the Mye Stealth stand for my new 3.7's which were purchased on the strength of the performance of the earlier setup. Go for it.
post #1985 of 3817 Old 08-28-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peechus View Post

i have used the mye stands with the 1.7's and certainly recommend them. Just received the mye stealth stand for my new 3.7's which were purchased on the strength of the performance of the earlier setup. Go for it.

thanks!
post #1986 of 3817 Old 08-28-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don,

I don't use a crossover. I run the Maggies full range from the balanced output of my Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 and the subs from the single ended output 40hz and below (adjusted on the PSB 5i sub). This works pretty well for me in my room, but I will tell you that I run the volume on the sub between 1.5 and 3 as to not over do it. The other option was to use the passive crossover in the subs by running the speaker cable from the amp to the sub and then to the Maggies. That was Nate Mansfield at Kimber Kable's idea, but EJ Sarmento at Wyred 4 Sound recommended against it. The Mapleshade guys agree with Kimber by the way. I have not tried it, but I may buy some 12TC on AudiogoN and give it a shot.

Warm regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,

That's what I am doing now (Maggies full-range, sub has its own built-in LPF). I have in the past rolled off the treble amp (a lower-powered tube unit then) with a very simple first-order filter (i.e. a single capacitor) and let the bass amp go full range into the external Magnepan crossover, using only the bass outputs of the Maggie's external boxes into their bass panels. That is what Magnepan told me to do at that time (80's). I later built my sub and incorporated the bass crossover into its control circuit board, keeping the HPF I had built into my preamp for the treble amp. Honestly, I do not recall it being that different, but distortion was a little lower when the bass panel was not driven as hard below 50 Hz.

I do not see anything wrong with using a passive crossover from your sub; I am little surprised it has a passive xover built-in, however (most are active, and then there is always the question of how good is the HPF built into a sub). The catch with a passive crossover is that it is sensitive to the load (cable and amp input impedance) so you may have to adjust it to get the frequency you want. (That is what I did with my HPF, calculated to get close then dialed in the cap value in-circuit). The advantage is virtually no added noise or distortion.

Thanks, I will piddle... - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #1987 of 3817 Old 08-28-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

On stands -- I have only heard Maggies on stands a few times, not enough or long enough to form much of an opinion. I have used spikes on the legs that come with them and the resulting improvement (on carpet) was measurable, and BT actually indicated it was audible though we didn't do enough trials (maybe a couple of dozen with perhaps 10 - 12 people over a couple of weekends). So, those thinking of trying stands might want to try spikes on the feet first, then if they like that can decide to take the extra step (or not). The overwhelming majority of posts/reviews I have read claim better bass after adding stands.

post #1988 of 3817 Old 08-29-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

On stands -- I have only heard Maggies on stands a few times, not enough or long enough to form much of an opinion. I have used spikes on the legs that come with them and the resulting improvement (on carpet) was measurable, and BT actually indicated it was audible though we didn't do enough trials (maybe a couple of dozen with perhaps 10 - 12 people over a couple of weekends). So, those thinking of trying stands might want to try spikes on the feet first, then if they like that can decide to take the extra step (or not). The overwhelming majority of posts/reviews I have read claim better bass after adding stands.

Don, You are right my sub has active xover.
post #1989 of 3817 Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I noticed there are a few of us on here. If you guys want to get together for a listening session I'm interested. I believe I can benefit from listening to your gear and you may be able to benefit listening to mine. I'd like to experiment with 1.7 placement, sub placement, fuses and power cables. What are you guys interested in???

I'm interested.
post #1990 of 3817 Old 08-30-2011, 02:34 PM

Okay okay, I know I am going to get pounded for this but...

What kind of speaker cables are you guys running on your Maggies? I replaced some AntiCables with some fairly cheap Nordost Flatline Gold MK II cables, and to tell the truth, the difference not only surprised me - it was almost like getting a new set of speakers. (This on Maggie 1.7s.)

I still have trouble believing it, so much so I tried two or three other sets of speaker cables, and the Nordost's blow them all away.

I even bought another set of the same Flatline Gold MK II cables (used this time) and drat, they sound great too.

I'm saving up to replace the Flatlines with a set of Blue Heaven LS cables, but like I said, I still have trouble believing the difference speaker cable makes here. And convincing myself to spend the cash on em. Has anyone else found a set of cables that make a major difference in the way your Maggies sound?

I do not understand why, but the difference is astonishing. I am wondering if Maggies just like a particular kind of cable, or what I don't know.

Yours,
-Paul
post #1991 of 3817 Old 08-30-2011, 06:01 PM

Kimber 12TC, but I've heard Nordost is a good match for Maggies. It's also available everywhere at closeout prices.
post #1992 of 3817 Old 08-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.raulerson View Post

Okay okay, I know I am going to get pounded for this but...

What kind of speaker cables are you guys running on your Maggies? I replaced some AntiCables with some fairly cheap Nordost Flatline Gold MK II cables, and to tell the truth, the difference not only surprised me - it was almost like getting a new set of speakers. (This on Maggie 1.7s.)

I still have trouble believing it, so much so I tried two or three other sets of speaker cables, and the Nordost's blow them all away.

I even bought another set of the same Flatline Gold MK II cables (used this time) and drat, they sound great too.

I'm saving up to replace the Flatlines with a set of Blue Heaven LS cables, but like I said, I still have trouble believing the difference speaker cable makes here. And convincing myself to spend the cash on em. Has anyone else found a set of cables that make a major difference in the way your Maggies sound?

I do not understand why, but the difference is astonishing. I am wondering if Maggies just like a particular kind of cable, or what I don't know.

Yours,
-Paul

Ha, I'm a neanderthal. 12 gauge fine stranded copper from a Home Depot bulk spool. I terminated the amp connections with gold plated spade lugs but the 10 connections on each 3.6 are just stripped, trimmed down to fit, and jammed into the Magnepan connector under the little allen screw.

Every 6-12 months, I cut the ends off the wires then restrip fresh copper and reconnect. It's amazing the difference oxidized connections can make. Just cleaning up like that can make a huge difference. Other than a clean vs dirty connection, I'm just not a believer in cables having any impact on sound whatsoever providing the conductor is adequate and we're not talking about 50 foot plus runs.

Are you sure the new cables weren't just less oxidized than your old cables? It's worth a close examination before you trick yourself into spending a lot of money.
post #1993 of 3817 Old 09-04-2011, 02:34 PM

Liked: 17

Why The "Absolute Sound" Recommends Maganepan

On the Bench
The distortion measurements were taken at 2 meters from the center of the speaker. I was unable to get a reliable frequency response measurement due to the dipolar sound.

At 50 Hz and 90 dB output, THD+N was very high. I expected this because of the limitations of flat-panel speakers noted on the previous page.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/speak...s.html?start=3
post #1994 of 3817 Old 09-04-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

You might paste the other results, too, like the 1 kHz results, instead of highlighting the negative. Then go measure a few other speakers at high sound levels near their bottom end and see how they fare.

post #1995 of 3817 Old 09-06-2011, 05:51 PM

Anybody here familar with the MG 20.1's? I've been offered a pair at a reasonable price & I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade (from a modded pair of MG 3.5s) to those, the 3.7s or stick with what I have ... Thoughts?
post #1996 of 3817 Old 09-06-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:

I built some stands for my MMG's from 1"x2" 11g rectangular tube steel, and have steel carpet spikes underneath. The bass and midbass are much improved with more visceral impact than before, and much better imaging. Almost sounded like a whole new, different speaker than compared to when the stock legs were installed.

I have dimensions for the stands, and a decent schematic if you are interested(sized for the MMGs though, but may be easily adapted to other models, could be a good starting point). Only took me a day of work and $80 in materials and much more fun than shelling out the 6+ bills some companies charge for their stands.
post #1997 of 3817 Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonsc View Post

Anybody here familar with the MG 20.1's? I've been offered a pair at a reasonable price & I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade (from a modded pair of MG 3.5s) to those, the 3.7s or stick with what I have ... Thoughts?

I haven't heard the 20.1's in several years but I auditioned them seriously twice. Once when I bought my 3.5's around 1994. And again in 2004 when I bought my 3.6's. Both times I favored the sound of the 3.X model over the 20.X series. Personally, I'd audition the 3.7's against the 20.1's but don't go into the shootout assuming the 3.7 will lose out to the more expensive speaker. And consider the room. The 20.1's require a lot of space.
post #1998 of 3817 Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

The 20.1's play deeper and have a more seamless transition across frequencies IMO, but that's in comparison to 3.x pre-3.7's. It was a close call when I bought my old IIa's, but I found in a good-sized room the 3's were very, very close to the 20's, and I went with the lower-priced option. If I had the funds and the room I would get the 20's, but you need a large room to benefit IMO and it's hard to justify the step up from the 3.7's now that they use QR drivers (the 20.1 uses standard bass panel, QR mid/hi, and ribbon tweeter; the QR mid panel goes a long way in matching the sound to the tweeter).

If I had a big room and the 20.1's were in good shape and close to the price of the 3.7's, I'd go for the 20.1's. Otherwise, if the room were large it would be a tough call. If the room were smaller I'd get the 3.7's.

post #1999 of 3817 Old 09-07-2011, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the input. FYI: I'm considering a very good used pair of 20.1s at a price not much greater than that of new 3.7s. If I don't grab those I think I will stay with my existing 3.5s for the time being. So, it's not really a question of 20.1 or 3.7 - more: are the 20.1s good enough to warrant grabbing at this price?
post #2000 of 3817 Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonsc View Post
Thanks for the input. FYI: I'm considering a very good used pair of 20.1s at a price not much greater than that of new 3.7s. If I don't grab those I think I will stay with my existing 3.5s for the time being. So, it's not really a question of 20.1 or 3.7 - more: are the 20.1s good enough to warrant grabbing at this price?
If you have the space to set them up properly, yes!
post #2001 of 3817 Old 09-07-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Tough call for me. I was surprised at how close an older 3.x sounded to the 20's in a large room, but of course reviewers claim vast improvement. There are also those who claim the smaller panels are better, especially paired with a good sub... To my ears, except for the more extended bass, the difference was more subtle. At that time, and being somewhat cash-strapped, I happily went with the 3's instead and have zero regrets, particularly in a small'ish room. If I had a (much) larger room (mine is about 14' x 17' now) and was considering an upgrade, I would jump on those 20.1's. Otherwise, I'd get some more music instead...

post #2002 of 3817 Old 09-07-2011, 12:29 PM

I believe I have the space ... I have a dedicated room that is approximately 21'x16' with 10' ceilings ... Everyone raises this point but no-one is very specific about how much space they are talking about!
post #2003 of 3817 Old 09-07-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

It is not an exact science, though you can calculate things like room modes and reflection points. You also need to know what's in the room that may limit speaker placement, natch. I'd shoot for about 2' - 3' from the sides to the nearest wall, and 3' to 5' behind them. Set up an equilateral triangle for space between them and distance from each to the listening position, and put the listening position at perhaps 2/3 from the front wall (not in the middle -- that is a primary room null). There are room mode calculators on the 'net you can use to estimate the FR; you have nearly a doubled-up mode with the 21' and 10' dimensions.

That said, it sounds like you have the room... I am glad I am not in your shoes; I'd probably get the 20.1's even though I don't really need them.

post #2004 of 3817 Old 09-07-2011, 02:04 PM

Thanks DonH, that's a helpful response. Indeed, I almost wish I weren't in my shoes! I don't *need* these speakers either & have been going backwards & forwards about the pros & cons. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer but at some point a leap will be required ...
post #2005 of 3817 Old 09-07-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

It's easy for me -- I can't afford them! Maybe when the kids are through college...

Here's something (perhaps painful) to ponder: The 20.1's will sound at least as good and probably a little (maybe even a lot) better than what you have now. I have to admit they are very good sounding speakers, and that extra half-octave or so of bass is impressive. A year from now, are you going to be wondering what it would have been like to have them in front of you? And thinking how long it will take to save $12k+?

Having done the comparison, if I had the room and could afford it, I would wrestle with myself for a while, then buy the 20.1's. They do not come up for sale often.

post #2006 of 3817 Old 09-07-2011, 09:42 PM

Hello
I am running 2 sets of mags 2.7 and smg at the moment I am running the big mags with my grand integera 508 and the smaller ones with 2 Hafler XL280 s mono , my question is how would the big mags sound if I run my other 2 Hafler DH 500 on them so that way I have one amp per mag ?
post #2007 of 3817 Old 09-08-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

What are the specs on the Integra?

You can try this calculator to estimate loudness: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Note Magnepan specs sensitivity with 2.83 V rms into 4 ohms (1 W into 8 ohms but 2 W into 4 ohms), so you need to subtract 3 dB from their stated efficiency to get to the normal dB/W/m spec.

HTH - Don

p.s. Going from a Sony AVR to an Emotiva amp was a significant improvement with my MG-IIIa's; however, I am not sure I could tell at average levels between my Pioneer SC-27 and Emotiva XPA-2. Something I keep thinking I should try, but with the system all set up I don't feel like switching it all around again.

post #2008 of 3817 Old 09-08-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:

Here's something (perhaps painful) to ponder: The 20.1's will sound at least as good and probably a little (maybe even a lot) better than what you have now. I have to admit they are very good sounding speakers, and that extra half-octave or so of bass is impressive. A year from now, are you going to be wondering what it would have been like to have them in front of you? And thinking how long it will take to save $12k+?

Having done the comparison, if I had the room and could afford it, I would wrestle with myself for a while, then buy the 20.1's. They do not come up for sale often.

Thanks Don, you're really making life easier!
post #2009 of 3817 Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I'm looking at getting a pair of maggies for fronts for a primarily HT system. I plan on using a hsu vtf-15h sub along with them.

I've owned a pair of mg II for about 12 years now and love them. I'm hoping to get something with a similar sound, but smaller. The mg II is huge. I would prefer to wall/swivel mount, but I don't want to give up too much sound quality for it.

The area is a L that's about 7' x 4' and will have a 5' wide TV in the middle. the 7' side is bound by a 6' wide sliding glass door that opens on the far side, so I can go a little over 7' if need be.

I'm looking at the mmgw, mmg and mc1.

I like the mmgw for the lowest price and smallest footprint, but I assume it's also the worst sounding.

I like the mmg for a still low price and it's a clear step up in sound quality over the mmgw.

I like the MC1 since it can be swivel mounted and it will almost certainly sound better than the mmgw, but does it sound better than the mmg?

Is there a reasonably easy way to setup the mmg so it doesn't have to use a stand or sit several feet from the wall without giving up a lot of sound quality?

Anyone have any suggestions for me.
post #2010 of 3817 Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I'm looking at getting a pair of maggies for fronts for a primarily HT system. I plan on using a hsu vtf-15h sub along with them.

I've owned a pair of mg II for about 12 years now and love them. I'm hoping to get something with a similar sound, but smaller. The mg II is huge. I would prefer to wall/swivel mount, but I don't want to give up too much sound quality for it.

The area is a L that's about 7' x 4' and will have a 5' wide TV in the middle. the 7' side is bound by a 6' wide sliding glass door that opens on the far side, so I can go a little over 7' if need be.

I'm looking at the mmgw, mmg and mc1.

I like the mmgw for the lowest price and smallest footprint, but I assume it's also the worst sounding.

I like the mmg for a still low price and it's a clear step up in sound quality over the mmgw.

I like the MC1 since it can be swivel mounted and it will almost certainly sound better than the mmgw, but does it sound better than the mmg?

Is there a reasonably easy way to setup the mmg so it doesn't have to use a stand or sit several feet from the wall without giving up a lot of sound quality?

Anyone have any suggestions for me.

I have a friend, who very accurately states that every foot away from the wall increases the sound of the Maggies by $1000. He is pretty much right.

If you are designing the layout first, and put speaker location at a lower priority, then the MMGW's are about your best bet. They still sound fantastic.

If you want the best sound from MMGs or 1.7s etc., they need some air. You can treat the walls behind them to work on the first reflection, but then, they are going to loose some of that fantastic Maggie sound.

We use a pair of 1.7s as our only speakers for HT now, and they sound absolutely gorgeous. We don't use a sub, because of two reasons:

(1) You really need TWO subs to get the sound right and
(2) Two subs of a quality to match the Maggies are too damn expensive.

-Paul
Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page