post #2191 of 3914 Old 02-18-2012, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Great minds...

How do you like the SC-55?

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 3914 Old 02-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Great minds...

How do you like the SC-55?

i guess i will have to tell a story

i had a pair of mmw's with a mmc and projector, i really like it for home theater and for certain kinds of music

the interesting thing about the wall mount mmw is that if it is flat against the wall, it sounds like crap and if you swing it out angled from the wall, it sounds great, more bass,

with large projector screens, the center can be an issue but i mounted it from the ceiling, tilted down and that was also a sweet spot and out of the way of harm

all that was driven by a pioneer vsx1014

fast forward, new house and i left the speakers and projector behind as part of the sale because i didn't thing the new house had room suitable

after some thinking i figured, i had a room and missed the projector screen for movies so after much research i again decided on maggies

i almost bought the new motorized wall mounts with a pair of matching woofers but it was actually more expensive than a pair of 1.7's and when i went to listen to the 1.7's, i really really liked them

what you don't see in the picture is a Hsu mk III sub which was added shortly after the pioneer sc55 arrived

having full range 1.7's with a limited range cc5, maggie recommends large fronts, with small center, and sub set to off, this sends all the bass below the crossover in the receiver to the fronts, and then you drive the sub from the preout fronts

it took me awhile to get there and learned some things

first, i never really believed it but the 1.7's did gain some low end after breaking end. i played some test tones the first day and absolutely nothing would come out at 30 Hz and sometime later, it did produce sound

second, like the wall mounted maggies, angled and nearish the wall produced more bass, which is tamed quite easily with room correction

occasionally i have the sub off accidentally and it usually takes me awhile to figure out it is off, quite pleased with the supposed lack of low end 1.7's

and for my ear, running as much of the spectrum through the 1.7's is best, crossover at 80 Hz was too high and the sub is too distracting, 50 Hz lets the 1.7's do their thing

i bought the sc-55 because i liked the idea of cooler running digital amps, flac playback, airplay, and the nice icontrolAV app for ipad which meant i could control the receiver from a second zone without having line of site and didn't have to turn on the projector just to see what listening mode i was in

i am not a turn it up and lose your hearing kind of guy but the sc-55 has plenty power for me and seems like a good match for the 4 ohm maggies

i think the whole setup is a huge bang for your buck system and couldn't be more pleased

my wife had a business associate over for dinner who turned out to be a big time audiophile and he was impressed with the sound

we were listening to a classical music selection and he was commenting on how you could hear the string instruments breath

and to me that is the beauty of the maggies, how clean the sound is, especially vocals and that transfers over to movies and dialog

anyway, that is my story
post #2193 of 3914 Old 02-19-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quite a tale!

Bass reinforcement in dipoles depends heavily upon distance to the wall behind. Right against the wall, the wave will essentially cancel and bass is dramatically reduced.

Speakers are one of the few things that actually do have a break-in period, Maggies perhaps more than most. The panels are a little stiff when made and become a bt more pliable with use. This drops the low end a little (among other things).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #2194 of 3914 Old 02-20-2012, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech HiFi View Post

Talked with Klaus and going with the Stratos instead. The Hk is out. Still struggling with the A21 vs. the Emotiva.

Quote:

Currently, I have the Wyred 4 Sound SX-1000 monos. Last night, I ordered a set of heavily modified Khartago monos from Klaus at Odyssey Audio. I'm also going to get a Parasound A-21. After letting all the amps break-in, I'm going to do my own $2500 amp shoot out. Am I missing any other contenders? Maybe the Hk 990 integrated that Stereophile just reviewed??? Anyone in the Hampton Roads area who wants to join in, I should be ready for some serious listening in early March.

Well... after more research I've decide to throw the Bryston into the mix. So, it's W4S SX-1000 monos vs. Odyssey Stratos monos vs. Parasound A21 vs. Bryston 4B SST2. THAT'S IT!
post #2195 of 3914 Old 02-20-2012, 07:55 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Well... after more research I've decide to throw the Bryston into the mix. So, it's W4S SX-1000 monos vs. Odyssey Stratos monos vs. Parasound A21 vs. Bryston 4B SST2. THAT'S IT!

Since you come this far - you may want to consider amps with volume controls.

Most people don't know what they want...but, they're pretty sure they haven't got it. ©

post #2196 of 3914 Old 02-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quite a tale!

Bass reinforcement in dipoles depends heavily upon distance to the wall behind. Right against the wall, the wave will essentially cancel and bass is dramatically reduced.

Sure sound comes out the back and everyone talks about reducing this reflection by moving into the room or putting sound absorbing material behind it but angle with respect to the reflecting surface is also important
post #2197 of 3914 Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl View Post

Since you come this far - you may want to consider amps with volume controls.

I use the digital volume control in the W4S DAC2. Since I use a laptop as my source, I see no need for a pre-amp...
post #2198 of 3914 Old 02-20-2012, 09:24 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I see no need for a pre-amp...

Where did I say pre-amp?

Most people don't know what they want...but, they're pretty sure they haven't got it. ©

post #2199 of 3914 Old 02-20-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

@Tech HiFi: Magnepan is using Bryston in their demos and vice versa. My past experience with Bryston would have me going that way if it was in my budget.

@purdyd: Technically what matters is the path length of the sound waves, so you are spot on that the angle matters. Changing the angle of the speakers changes the effective distance, sometimes significantly. And of course since dipoles generally do not radiate much to the sides (or above/below), the sound is best when they are pointed straight at the listener.

FWIWFM - Don

post #2200 of 3914 Old 02-20-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl View Post

Where did I say pre-amp?

Please explain further...
post #2201 of 3914 Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:

@Tech HiFi: Magnepan is using Bryston in their demos and vice versa. My past experience with Bryston would have me going that way if it was in my budget.

@purdyd: Technically what matters is the path length of the sound waves, so you are spot on that the angle matters. Changing the angle of the speakers changes the effective distance, sometimes significantly. And of course since dipoles generally do not radiate much to the sides (or above/below), the sound is best when they are pointed straight at the listener.

FWIWFM - Don

Don,
I'm not so sure that the Bryston is worth the price of admission? I hope to find out.
Thanks,
Frank
post #2202 of 3914 Old 02-20-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Frank,

Let me know when the shooting starts.

Bob
post #2203 of 3914 Old 02-20-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don,
I'm not so sure that the Bryston is worth the price of admission? I hope to find out.
Thanks,
Frank

I don't know either; one reason I have a few Emotiva's sitting around now. I do know it's a great amp, but only you can say if it's worth the price. Such issues are a matter of some (actually, lots of) debate.

post #2204 of 3914 Old 02-20-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post

Frank,

Let me know when the shooting starts.

Bob

You're in!
post #2205 of 3914 Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 AM

Newest Member, proudly supporting the Magneplaner

About 3 months ago, I made it into my local shop and had a solid listen to the 1.7's compared with Paradigm Studio 60's. I left with good feelings about the maggies.

This past weekend, I had another session. This time I put the 1.7's up against the 1.6's and Sonus Faber Toy towers, and ended up leaving the store with my new 1.7's. the Toy towers sounded great, good punch to them, but the size of the sound stage coming from the 1.7's sold me.

Last night I set it all up. I am running -
Magneplaner 1.7
Paradigm PS-1200 (sub)
Panasonic DVD player for music
Parasound 2100 Pre amplifier
Emotiva XPA-2

just threw it together, and it sounded great. This week, I plan on tweaking and fine tuning everything to get the best possible sound from my new speakers (using "Get Better Sound" - Jim Smith). I picked up some Roxal insulation to make my sound absorption panels, and using a link I found on this site, I plan on making a diffuser using 1"x1" blocks of wood for the back wall. My listening room is only 12'x15.5' which is on the small side, but it works!

Sound panels - plan on making corner traps - (How big? 8" for sides facing the walls work?) and first reflection point on side walls, and roof. Also, I am seeing a lot of favor for panels on the wall behind the speakers?? thoughts??
post #2206 of 3914 Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Planer speakers in general have less problem with first reflections because they are more directional. Don't forget the ceiling...

I have extensive treatment in a small room (13'3" W x 17'7" L x 8'5" H) including the wall behind the panels. Provides fantastic imaging but of course you lose some of the reflected sound that a lot of folk like. Except in very large rooms, I have always used treatment behind the panels as the comb filter effects always drove me nuts (it's a short drive).

My advice is to play with the speakers to optimize positioning, then slowly add treatment to see how it impacts the sound.

For corners, I used something like the Ready Acoustic Nests to get a lot of material in the corners.

post #2207 of 3914 Old 03-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback..

So in your installation of panels on the wall behind the speakers, would you put them between your speakers, or on the wall where the rear of the speaker points?
post #2208 of 3914 Old 03-05-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silasm View Post

Newest Member, proudly supporting the Magneplaner

[snip]

Sound panels - plan on making corner traps - (How big? 8" for sides facing the walls work?) and first reflection point on side walls, and roof. Also, I am seeing a lot of favor for panels on the wall behind the speakers?? thoughts??

Copngratulations! I have never ever regretted the cost of the 1.7s. Not for one single split second.

You might want to put some playing time on those puppies before treating the room throughly. They seem to take a lot of break in time to achieve their best. About 400 hours of playing time is what I had happen here.

The bass didn't truly come in till around 150 hours, and the treble smoothed out around 300.

I know I know, it sounds impossible. They sound so darn good right out of the box! But they do get better with playtime, a lot better actually.

Since things change, you may find you need to move the speakers about a bit, and toe them in differently after they do break in. Waiting a month or so to fully condition the room is usually a pretty good idea.

-Paul
post #2209 of 3914 Old 03-05-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silasm View Post

Thanks for the feedback..

So in your installation of panels on the wall behind the speakers, would you put them between your speakers, or on the wall where the rear of the speaker points?

Directly behind the panels and in line with them (i.e. where the rear of the speaker points). Corner traps are best for attenuating bass modes.

Re. break-in: I have measured and heard the increase in bass extension after perhaps a hundred hours or so; never really noticed much change in the highs but YMMV.

post #2210 of 3914 Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 AM

100 hours or so is about right. There is some noticeable improvement thereafter. I recommend playing straight using a tuner (TV or radio) so you don't wear out any valuable moving parts. Play at a reasonable level to get those panels moving.
post #2211 of 3914 Old 03-14-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 203
There is a guy named cookieattk in the myths in audio thread claiming to have measured no difference in bass response between 0, 100 & 200 hours FWIW.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21778347

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #2212 of 3914 Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I measured my MG-I's and a friends MG-IIa's at 0, 50, and 100 and measured a drop in the 3 dB point of about 5 - 10 Hz. At 200 hours it was essentially in the noise at around +/- 1 Hz. My MG-IIIa's I only loosely measured with an SPL and test tones vs. the more accurate test equipment I had for the earlier trials and saw about 5 Hz lower -3 dB point from when I got them to a month or so later (did not keep solid track of the hours, though I am sure I have it written someplace).

Interestingly, when I did this at the audio store I worked at in the late 70's/early 80's, we also saw slight drops in several conventional speakers, though usually less pronounced.

Whatever - Don

post #2213 of 3914 Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

There is a guy named cookieattk in the myths in audio thread claiming to have measured no difference in bass response between 0, 100 & 200 hours FWIW.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21778347

It wasn't me, but you can bet I heard differences up until a bit over 400 hours of playtime on my 1.7s.

Paul
post #2214 of 3914 Old 03-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

I have wanted the MMGW for a while now and are they very power hungry. I have a onkyo 805 and says it will drive five ohm speaker. What is the price for the motorized wall mount? Is this good for everyday use? Thx

Xbox live- SER 182
Mix Cloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/Ser182/
post #2215 of 3914 Old 03-21-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Unpacking my MMGs.......whee!

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #2216 of 3914 Old 03-21-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:

The winner is....

Bryston 4B SST2. Not really a fair comparison since it's MSRP is twice as much. What the heck, you only live once!
post #2217 of 3914 Old 03-21-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser182 View Post

I have wanted the MMGW for a while now and are they very power hungry. I have a onkyo 805 and says it will drive five ohm speaker. What is the price for the motorized wall mount? Is this good for everyday use? Thx

How much power you need depends upon the room, your distance from them, and how loudly you play them. They are 4-ohm nominal and not very efficient so do take more power than a conventional speaker for the same loudness, but many people are driving them with a 100 W or so AVR and having no problems.

Last I checked the MMC2 lists for $1995/pr. Frankly, unless I really needed the motorized mount, I would get a pair of MC1's for half the price and mount them on the wall or a DIY stand (I did the latter). Or take the money and get a pair of 1.7's for the same price, gaining a lot more bass.

For everyday use do you mean the motorized mount or Maggies in general? Either way the answer is "yes".

post #2218 of 3914 Old 03-25-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:

The winner is....

Bryston 4B SST2. Not really a fair comparison since it's MSRP is twice as much. What the heck, you only live once!

Hello Tech Hifi
What preamp/processor did you test with? The combination is also relevant with these differient amp's.
GS
post #2219 of 3914 Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How much power you need depends upon the room, your distance from them, and how loudly you play them. They are 4-ohm nominal and not very efficient so do take more power than a conventional speaker for the same loudness, but many people are driving them with a 100 W or so AVR and having no problems.

Last I checked the MMC2 lists for $1995/pr. Frankly, unless I really needed the motorized mount, I would get a pair of MC1's for half the price and mount them on the wall or a DIY stand (I did the latter). Or take the money and get a pair of 1.7's for the same price, gaining a lot more bass.

For everyday use do you mean the motorized mount or Maggies in general? Either way the answer is "yes".

I was in the same boat having owned the mmgw's for several years

Mmc2 would be clean and sexy but I would want the matching woofers

By the time you do the math the 1.7s look like a great deal
post #2220 of 3914 Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I measured my MG-I's and a friends MG-IIa's at 0, 50, and 100 and measured a drop in the 3 dB point of about 5 - 10 Hz. At 200 hours it was essentially in the noise at around +/- 1 Hz. My MG-IIIa's I only loosely measured with an SPL and test tones vs. the more accurate test equipment I had for the earlier trials and saw about 5 Hz lower -3 dB point from when I got them to a month or so later (did not keep solid track of the hours, though I am sure I have it written someplace).

Interestingly, when I did this at the audio store I worked at in the late 70's/early 80's, we also saw slight drops in several conventional speakers, though usually less pronounced.

Whatever - Don

All I can add is that when I first got my 1.7s nib, at 30 Hz I got nothing

6 months later with the same test tone it would croak out some sound

And I don't believe in anything
Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page