post #2282 of 3913 Old 04-18-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 298
See posts 1242 and 1243 in this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19242884

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #2283 of 3913 Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

Attachment 243932

purdy, I didn't know you owned Maggies
That makes you a-ok - I take back all my teasing about Pioneer

How long have you been a Maggie fan?
I go back to about '82...no other speaker has "done it" for me...well, except Soundlab e-stats & those are a bit out of my price range!

Steve
post #2284 of 3913 Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone here done the Tri-center?

I was talking to Wendell Diller at Magnepan several weeks ago about how to possibly do heights and he highly encouraged me to consider their Tri-center combination instead. He said everyone who has listened to it blind, prefers it even with 2 ch & comes back very impressed. He is saying that approach to center is much more involving than any heights/widths can be.

He even encouraged me to book a flight to Minnesota and visit their showroom/demo room to listen. Of course, I have to pay for it

It does show Magnepan is coming up with unusual approaches beyond 2 ch and is willing to "market" these ideas directly to users; they know dealers who are 2 ch audiophile oriented aren't going to stock many of their "exotic" speakers.

On Tri-center, I was highly intrigued when I read reviews last year, but I really don't have the room width to pull it off - 3.6's, 2 large subs, a kuro & a treated window are a tight fit! Hoping for a PJ someday and acoustically transparent screen if I can convince the WAF

purdy, you might be able to do it based on your pic. Looks like you'd have the space. Are those 1.6's & CC3 by chance? and what are you using for surrounds?
LL

Steve
post #2285 of 3913 Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

purdy, you might be able to do it based on your pic. Looks like you'd have the space. Are those 1.6's & CC3 by chance? and what are you using for surrounds?

Maggie 1.7s, cc5, mirage nano sat surrounds on the ceiling and a hsu mk 3 sub in the corner

And of course all driven by the wimpy pioneer sc55

Tricenter? I don't need to spend anymore on stereo equipment!

I used to have mmgs and mmgw that was a different house with my 25 year old mirage bookshelf speakers which have migrated to the garage as zone 2

Personally I am just tickled pink that I can have a pair of fantastic sounding speakers for less than $2k
post #2286 of 3913 Old 04-20-2012, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Personally I am just tickled pink that I can have a pair of fantastic sounding speakers for less than $2k

amen to that

I had 1.6's and they were a great choice for music & HT! After 2 yrs, I decided to move up the line 1 more notch and did a trade-in with my dealer.

Every review I've read on the 1.7's is overwhelmingly positive. They are a fantastic speaker, esp for the money.

And a CC5 I have the older CC3. You must be doing the center fill bass wiring setup that Magnepan recommends. I also discussed that with Wendell....he nearly had me convinced to try it. It just sounds a bit more complicated than I wanted to do. I understand the idea, to spread the bass between the center & fronts, but I'm a bit lazy, I guess - having bass management done in the receiver is too simple. With the CC5 you don't have much of a choice since it's more bass limited than the 3.

"Tricenter? I don't need to spend anymore on stereo equipment!"

It's only another 2K

Steve
post #2287 of 3913 Old 04-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

amen to that

I had 1.6's and they were a great choice for music & HT! After 2 yrs, I decided to move up the line 1 more notch and did a trade-in with my dealer.

Every review I've read on the 1.7's is overwhelmingly positive. They are a fantastic speaker, esp for the money.

And a CC5 I have the older CC3. You must be doing the center fill bass wiring setup that Magnepan recommends. I also discussed that with Wendell....he nearly had me convinced to try it. It just sounds a bit more complicated than I wanted to do. I understand the idea, to spread the bass between the center & fronts, but I'm a bit lazy, I guess - having bass management done in the receiver is too simple. With the CC5 you don't have much of a choice since it's more bass limited than the 3.

"Tricenter? I don't need to spend anymore on stereo equipment!"

It's only another 2K

I like to imagine the center fill bass is like a preview of the tricenter. There is a noticeable improvement and you don't notice that the bass is coming only from the sides.
post #2288 of 3913 Old 04-20-2012, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

you are using the receiver front left or right pre out?

don't use the LFE or subwoofer pre out

i am using the left and right pre out for my main speaker.
my avr doesn't have dedicated subwoofer output, only on the pre out i could hooke it up and my sub has only speaker input of which i am using a mono cable.
post #2289 of 3913 Old 04-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklan2 View Post

i am using the left and right pre out for my main speaker.
my avr doesn't have dedicated subwoofer output, only on the pre out i could hooke it up and my sub has only speaker input of which i am using a mono cable.

I am still not sure where what you are connecting the sub too

It must be a speaker terminal on the avr? So it is the left front speaker terminal on the avr?
post #2290 of 3913 Old 04-21-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:

I am still not sure where what you are connecting the sub too

It must be a speaker terminal on the avr? So it is the left front speaker terminal on the avr?

i tried to hooked up thru speaker input terminal in dvd/vdp in my avr and i also tried hooking it up thru sw input in extn in still nothing works.
the only thing that works in my set-up is thru pre-out of my avr to speaker input of my sub and set my avr with "yes" of sub.
post #2291 of 3913 Old 04-21-2012, 01:07 PM

Hi
Are there any owners of the 3.7? experiences, issues, ideas? Would really enjoy to hear opinions and share about this amazing speaker !!!
post #2292 of 3913 Old 04-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i tried to hooked up thru speaker input terminal in dvd/vdp in my avr and i also tried hooking it up thru sw input in extn in still nothing works.
the only thing that works in my set-up is thru pre-out of my avr to speaker input of my sub and set my avr with "yes" of sub.

What subwoofer do you have? And are you using an external amp?

What pre out are you using? I thought you said you don't have a subwoofer pre out? And you only have speaker inputs, no RCA connectors on your sub?

I am not sure what you mean by speaker input terminal in DVD/vdp. You tried to run the sub from an input?

Maybe you could show a picture. What is your model of avr?
post #2293 of 3913 Old 04-22-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:

What subwoofer do you have? And are you using an external amp?

What pre out are you using? I thought you said you don't have a subwoofer pre out? And you only have speaker inputs, no RCA connectors on your sub?

I am not sure what you mean by speaker input terminal in DVD/vdp. You tried to run the sub from an input?

Maybe you could show a picture. What is your model of avr?

the avr i am using is 7 yrs old denon avr2105. it has pre-out for multi channel connections and column for connections labeled "extn in" wherein there is FR, FL, SW, C, SR, SL and column labeled "audio" wherein there is R, L (PHONO), R,L (DVD,VDP), R, L (TV/DBS), R,L (VCR 1), R, L (VCR 2)
my amplifier is emotiva mps 1 and my sub is emotiva ultra 12.
post #2294 of 3913 Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 PM

Just set up my system! Magnepan 1.7s and Quad Elite CDP player/dac, QSX amp and Preamp. Sounds great!!!!
post #2295 of 3913 Old 04-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the avr i am using is 7 yrs old denon avr2105. it has pre-out for multi channel connections and column for connections labeled "extn in" wherein there is FR, FL, SW, C, SR, SL and column labeled "audio" wherein there is R, L (PHONO), R,L (DVD,VDP), R, L (TV/DBS), R,L (VCR 1), R, L (VCR 2)
my amplifier is emotiva mps 1 and my sub is emotiva ultra 12.

Ext. In is external inputs and nothing will come out of that

The audio section is also inputs

Here is your manual

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i...L000060481.pdf

You are going to need an RCA cable splitter and put one end into the preout front, one and into the amp, and one end into the sub

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CE4Q8wIwAw
post #2296 of 3913 Old 04-23-2012, 03:48 PM

Eklan, I have used this set-up and understand the problem you are facing. Sounds like you have everything set-up correctly, other than the sub. Based on Magnepan's instructions, you have correctly set the subwoofer in your Denon to none. This ends up turning off the sub pre-out, thereby sending all of your .1 information to your two front speakers (in addition to the lower frequencies of your center channel).

The subwoofer can now only be connected in two ways. By connecting the subwoofer to the front left and right pre-outs from your Denon or by connecting them using to the high level (speaker wire) inputs. Unfortunately in your case:

1) the front and left pre-outs are being utilized by your Emotiva amplifier, and
2) the Emotiva Ultra 12 does not have high level (speaker level) inputs.

Your only solution is to use two RCA y-adapters, splitting the front left pre-out from your Denon into two signals (one to your Emotiva amplifier and one to your subwoofer) and do the same for your front left pre-out (one to the amp and one to the subwoofer).

Magnepan's solution is to have the center channel lower frequencies sent to the front speakers, rather than the subwoofer (which it would do if the subwoofer was set to "yes" in the Denon). Their solution, which is quite ingenious, connects the subwoofer to the front two channels and utilizes the subwoofer's crossover to only output the lowest frequencies.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Darren Hedley
post #2297 of 3913 Old 04-24-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Here is your manual

You are going to need an RCA cable splitter and put one end into the preout front, one and into the amp, and one end into the sub

thank you very much for your suggestion and the user manual of denon because i lost this manual a long time ago.
so i have to buy 2 RCA splitter cable connected from my left front and right front channel to the speaker input of my sub? is that correct?
please be advised.
thanks.
post #2298 of 3913 Old 04-24-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan View Post

Eklan, I have used this set-up and understand the problem you are facing. Sounds like you have everything set-up correctly, other than the sub. Based on Magnepan's instructions, you have correctly set the subwoofer in your Denon to none. This ends up turning off the sub pre-out, thereby sending all of your .1 information to your two front speakers (in addition to the lower frequencies of your center channel).

The subwoofer can now only be connected in two ways. By connecting the subwoofer to the front left and right pre-outs from your Denon or by connecting them using to the high level (speaker wire) inputs. Unfortunately in your case:

1) the front and left pre-outs are being utilized by your Emotiva amplifier, and

Your only solution is to use two RCA y-adapters, splitting the front left pre-out from your Denon into two signals (one to your Emotiva amplifier and one to your subwoofer) and do the same for your front left pre-out (one to the amp and one to the subwoofer).

Magnepan's solution is to have the center channel lower frequencies sent to the front speakers, rather than the subwoofer (which it would do if the subwoofer was set to "yes" in the Denon). Their solution, which is quite ingenious, connects the subwoofer to the front two channels and utilizes the subwoofer's crossover to only output the lowest frequencies.

thanks a lot for your suggestion. i hope i can do it.
post #2299 of 3913 Old 04-25-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I haven't used a splitter in over 15 years but if memory serves me, be sure to get a really good one as the cheaper ones can cause problems with the sound and perhaps equipment as well.
post #2300 of 3913 Old 04-25-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Here is your manual

i followed your advise and it GREAT!!! finally after a lot of frustrations i was able to make it...by just simple "y adapter" and it changes all things and for that I AM GRATEFUL TO YOU!!!
i think needs to re-write their user manual because nothing in their instruction that you have to use a rca splitter in order to integrate your main speaker to your sub. just a penny worth of thought.
post #2301 of 3913 Old 04-25-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan View Post

thanks a lot for your expertly advise because i was really lost and dont know what to do. i cant imagine that by simple "y adapter" can change the whole thing and for that I AM GRATEFUL!!!
post #2302 of 3913 Old 04-30-2012, 01:43 AM

Hello All,

Newbie here.

I am starting out and can get hold of a used pair of MMG0.6 or MG12 or MG3.3 between US$700-US$1,500.

Which would you guys recommend?

Also, with the 3.3Rs, is it mainly a crossover upgrade to take them closer to 3.5s and 3.6s?

I am starting out on a budget but would like to use my research skills to get a better bang for the buck.

Bty, I live in Lancashire, in the Northwest of England and there are not many Maggie owners this way...

thanks in advance.
post #2303 of 3913 Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieDude999 View Post

I am starting out and can get hold of a used pair of MMG0.6 or MG12 or MG3.3 between US$700-US$1,500.

Which would you guys recommend?

Get a new pair of MMG's directly from Magnepan for $599. They come with a 60-day money-back guarantee, you don't have to worry about delamination or other possible problems of a used Maggie, and you have the option of applying the cost towards an upgrade within a year. Plus a 3-year warranty.
post #2304 of 3913 Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The MMG's are definitely a better deal than used 0.6's and there's not a lot of improvement by going up to the 1.2's. The 3.3R's are a different story. If you are interested in them, an audition is highly recommended. Especially listen for any buzzing (cause by wire delamination) or loss of high frequencies (caused by damaged ribbons).

Be seeing you!
post #2305 of 3913 Old 04-30-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ +1.

Assuming there's a local'ish dealer or S&H is not exorbitant, a new pair of MMG's is a great intro and should not sound much different than the 12's. The 3.3R is a significant step up. I think the main change is the crossover, yes, but they don't usually talk about panel changes. The 3.7 uses completely different panels (QR). FWIWFM, Magnepan quoted around $700 USD about a year ago to refurbish my MG-IIIa's.

Any older pair should be auditioned if at all possible due to the delamination and blown ribbon issues cctvtech highlighted. I am using MG-IIIa's (from 1984, my third pair of Maggies) and they are fine but I took good care of them.

HTH - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #2306 of 3913 Old 04-30-2012, 01:05 PM

thanks guys.

I will bear all this in mind.

Will let you know how my hunt goes.
post #2307 of 3913 Old 05-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt View Post

Desktop Magnepans, Mini Maggies. Look forward to giving these a listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

At $1.5k there's a lot of competition... Too pricey for the PC/gamer crowd, tough competition from the more established players in the desktop audio monitor biz, and for another $500 you can get 1.7's.

For maggie lovers that don't want to spend $1,500 for Mini Maggies, what PC desktop active monitors are most recommended?

Based on our enjoyment of Maggies, I was very interested in PC Mag's review of the Monsoon speakers. Unfortunately, they're no longer available.

We currently have a 1-yr old 17" laptop w/Realtek HD Audio that we use for all the typical household computing tasks as well as live streaming of video - mostly news and comedy. We'd also like to use it for music. However, most laptops (ours included) have very sub-optimal built-in speakers. We are not into video gaming.

Goals:
  1. Near-field
  2. Desktop (limited space - prefer active speakers instead of a desktop amp)
  3. Natural sound - no coloration
  4. Prefer that the critical voice range not be split between drivers that use dissimilar sound generation techniques (e.g., horn-loaded tweeter & direct-radiating woofer)
  5. Minimum diffraction
  6. Time / phase-aligned
  7. Very good transient response
  8. Non-resonant enclosure (e.g., not plastic like many PC speakers)
  9. No reliability issues (Life is too short.)
  10. 2.0 or 2.1
  11. Budget: The most cost-effective reliable model that provides the greatest accuracy and that will fit on a desktop. B-stock or used is ok
Size:
- Height - The laptop screen is 10" tall when tilted to the appropriate viewing angle.
- Width - Any narrow width active monitor will easily outperform the internal speakers. Larger woofers will obviously provide a deeper bass response. However, desktop real estate is limited and a sub-woofer could be added later if desired.

I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource

Save Free HDTV: Facebook Page

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
post #2308 of 3913 Old 05-04-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I suggest you start a new thread rather than diverting this one.

I personally do not care for the smaller dipoles I have tried; not enough bass, and too hard to get good sound. For desktop I prefer conventional speakers. I have a variety of relatively cheap speakers around the house but am not at all a critical listener at the PC; I rarely play music through it, and if it's critical (like a rehearsal recording) I'll dump to my notebook and hoook up to my stereo. The last pair of minimonitors I got was a $300 pair of powered Roland ("pro") two-way monitors. For normal mixing purposes I have a $2500 pair of small monitors.

You need to provide some sort of budget guidance. Desktop monitors run from <$100 to $3k or more.

HTH - Don

post #2309 of 3913 Old 05-05-2012, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just picked up the mini maggie system for my office. I have been using Mackie MR5 MK2 monitors. I have had 1.6's and 3.6's in the past. I am testing them out at the house this weekend.

These things are brilliant!

More transparent than my 3.6's. They will rock in the near field position they were designed for. Listening to the Foo Fighters right now, 85-92 db peaks. The bass panel gives them a very nice bottom end.

I am afraid to go listen to the 3.7's now.
post #2310 of 3913 Old 05-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

I suggest you start a new thread rather than diverting this one.

I personally do not care for the smaller dipoles I have tried; not enough bass, and too hard to get good sound. For desktop I prefer conventional speakers. I have a variety of relatively cheap speakers around the house but am not at all a critical listener at the PC; I rarely play music through it, and if it's critical (like a rehearsal recording) I'll dump to my notebook and hoook up to my stereo. The last pair of minimonitors I got was a $300 pair of powered Roland ("pro") two-way monitors. For normal mixing purposes I have a $2500 pair of small monitors.

You need to provide some sort of budget guidance. Desktop monitors run from <$100 to $3k or more.

HTH - Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for sharing your destop monitor experience. As recommended, please see this thread.

Thanks

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource

Save Free HDTV: Facebook Page

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Magnepan , Magnepan Mmg , Magnepan Mini Maggie System , Magnepan Mg 1 7 , Magnepan Mg 3 7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page