AVS Forum banner
1M views 10K replies 585 participants last post by  threshold350 
#1 ·
This thread is for discussion of Magnepan speakers. I think there are a lot of owners on the forum but I haven't seen a thread for them. Below are some useful links for owners or those considering Mags.

Owner's Manuals

Maggie User Group

Planar forum at the Asylum

Reviews

Mye stands

Magnepan also offers a cheap and easy way to test drive some Mags. You can buy MMG's straight from Magnepan and try them out for 60 days in your home risk free. Or, if you want, you can upgrade within one year and get full credit for your MMG purchase. Details here .

I'm currently using some Magnepan 1.6QR's. Previously I had some 3.6R's and before that some 1b's 3a's and a pair of 2 somethings.

Hopefully, forum members curious about these speakers can come here and learn and any owners can ask questions. One thing I've found with my maggie experiences is to feed them lots of power. I drove the 3.6R's with a Musical Fidelity Trivista 300 and felt no need for a sub with two channel sources. The sound was divine.

Feel free to PM me with anything else you think should be in the first page and I'll add it.

See less See more
#7,440 ·
Is anybody here close enough to Atlanta to be interested in my 3.5/Rs? I'll give you a deal of a life time. It will be cheaper than 1.7's. I will also discount the DWM bass panel if you are taking them both.
There is a pair of cone speakers sold locally. I am not very interested in them, but the seller keeps making me offers I cant refuse (meaning he is lowering and lowering the price down to a point that I cannot pass the deal by even though I have the Maggies and the Polks already).

#7,441 ·
selling maggies for box speakers? of please share, after getting lrs I dont think I could ever go w/out unless get really wealthy and bought some mbl's

Reactions: sgibson
#7,442 ·
Spoiler: No Maggies here. Been 4 months without new speakers and that is way too long.

Attachments

#7,443 ·
focals sound really great. I set my eyes on sopra 3's one day. good on ya, for moving on...but I bet you be back to dipoles :)

#7,451 ·
On a different subject. These Audio Solutions Figaro XL are supposed to look and sound like a million bucks. Indeed, they look like super-expensive Tidals, Rockforts or Martens. The reviews are rave. Never in your life you will guess they cost just $15,000. This is their top model. Midshelf speakers on their site are just $9,500, but they are not as impressive looking (and probably sounding).
Made in Lithuania.

Attachments

#7,456 ·
Fixed (more or less) the issue with weak dynamics. I forgot to recalibrate the room for these Focals. The processor kept applying Polks Audyssey equalization correction. Well, the Polks have explosive dynamic range, so the processor compensated. That would have been fine for the Polks but not for the Focals.
Recalibrated the Focals. They were dialed just as I expected at -11dB (on a scale from -12dB to +12dB). The dynamics improved a bit. They are better than Magnepan's but worse than Polks. But still - good enough. This track shows both dynamics and resolution.
Unfortunately, the one thing these Focals are the best at cannot - believe me , I tried - cannot be conveyed via YT, and that is vocals. The vocals are to die for. I have never heard them this way. But not in this track, there are none here.

#7,458 ·
Fixed (more or less) the issue with weak dynamics. I forgot to recalibrate the room for these Focals. The processor kept applying Polks Audyssey equalization correction. Well, the Polks have explosive dynamic range, so the processor compensated. That would have been fine for the Polks but not for the Focals.
Recalibrated the Focals. They were dialed just as I expected at -11dB (on a scale from -12dB to +12dB). The dynamics improved a bit. They are better than Magnepan's but worse than Polks. But still - good enough. This track shows both dynamics and resolution.
Unfortunately, the one thing these Focals are the best at cannot - believe me , I tried - cannot be conveyed via YT, and that is vocals. The vocals are to die for. I have never heard them this way. But not in this track, there are none here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4y5Jz_JMiw
Is that La Segunda Será Un Noche?

#7,466 ·
Someone is trying to kill us.

#7,471 · (Edited)
A guy came over yesterday to audition the 3.5s. The deal was if he likes them he will come back with the money the next day. Usually potential buyers say that to avoid being hit on the head with a hammer or a butt of gun. They see its the real thing, listen to stuff , then they say "hey, what do you know, turns out I brought the money with me after all!". But this guy really came over on a spur of a moment.
While he was listening to the Maggies I noticed a smile, then a grin. I asked him if he ever heard ANY Maggies. He said "No". The grin immediately started to make sense. That same instant someone shot an arrow through my heart with a note attached that read "you should not sell them, you will regret it badly, you always get cold feet but this time you will wish you had hair on your stupid bold head so you could pull them!"
He is coming today to pick them up. This is the email he sent today.

Attachments

#7,472 ·
A guy came over yesterday to audition the 3.5s. The deal was if he likes them he will come back with the money the next day. Usually potential buyers say that to avoid being hit on the head with a hammer or a butt of gun. They see its the real thing, listen to stuff , then they say "hey, what do you know, turns out I brought the money with me after all!". But this guy really came over on a spur of a moment.
While he was listening to the Maggies I noticed a smile, then a grin. I asked him if he ever heard ANY Maggies. He said "No". The grin immediately started to make sense. That same instant someone shot an arrow through my heart with a note attached that read "you should not sell them, you will regret it badly, you always get cold feet but this time you will wish you had hair on your stupid bold head so you could pull them!"
He is coming today to pick them up. This is the email he sent today.
That wasn't any of us, was it?

#7,476 ·
My (used to be) Maggies in a new owner's home.

Attachments

#7,478 ·
My point exactly. They were suffocating in my tiny room. Now they can breathe. The buyer is the nicest guy you can possibly meet.

#7,485 ·
Wow I have been away from this, and all threads, lately!! I have nothing to do at work until later so I caught up on this ...... my favorite thread.

Progress on my new Music/Theater room is progressing slowly but nicely so far. I hope my contractor will finish the build in about three to four more weeks. Making the upgrade from 5.1 to 7.1 with an additional 2 pairs of .7's for surrounds, additional Rythmiks for the larger space and more Emotiva amplification.

I am absolutely scared out of my mind and unbelievably excited at the same time.

#7,495 ·
In order to add subwoofers to my system what is a good method other than going through the subs themselves? my preamp doesn't have sub outs and I don't want to connect my speakers from a subwoofer. I've been using 2 8" subs that work better than expected, but I would like to limit the sub freq range from going to my speakers, anybody try Minidsp? Any help is appreciated.

#7,507 ·
I've got the 2x4 one, about $95. Have the preamp (an Emotiva PT-100) feeding the input, and the outputs going to power amps for the SMGc's and the sub (mono). I've programmed the miniDSP to sum the inputs from both preamp channels, plus I've tamed some of the hotness I felt was too much (after putting in total new tweeter foils) with some DSP work.

Works well, reliable piece of kit.

Daniel
Singapore

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

#7,496 ·
Hey guys, I have an issue and need some advise. I have owned Magnepans most of my adult life, ranging from SMGa, 1.6, 1.7, 2.6, 2.7, 3.5 and 3.6 which I currently own. I have friends with Magnepans too which have owned some of those same models. Most were unmodified except the ones I own now. The modification is basically replaced capacitors for bigger ones (Audyn 8x 100 uF and 2x 47 uF).

Now, I have not compared an unmodified set with my own and I don't know what this modification is supposed to do exactly. I read on MUG most changes is in the low end. And that is exacttly what worries me because the issue I have is in part that bass doesn't sound right (and soundstage in general is off). Bass sounds thin unless its very prominently present in the source, as in jazz, contrabass, etc. Whenever its not like that, its as if the placement for the lows is "off", I hear it in the kitchen but not where I sit. To me this sounds like a placement/room acoustic issue, but I can't get it right. No matter where I place the speakers in the room, its never right. It wasn't right in my old house and now that we moved, its still off. Even in the middle of the room with no walls close to them (or behind me), soundstage is off and bass is mostly where I don't want to hear it. Like I said, I owned many Magnepans in different places where I lived. Friends own them. I have never had this issue before. I know they can be picky but nothing like this. I'm at a loss and I don't understand what is going on.

Anyone have any idea whether this might be due to that modification? I wonder since its the only set I've had that's like this and its the only set I owned that is modified.

If this is room acoustic related, can soundstage and placement be measured with REW?

Thanks for the help!

#7,497 ·
Hey guys, I have an issue and need some advise. I have owned Magnepans most of my adult life, ranging from SMGa, 1.6, 1.7, 2.6, 2.7, 3.5 and 3.6 which I currently own. I have friends with Magnepans too which have owned some of those same models. Most were unmodified except the ones I own now. The modification is basically replaced capacitors for bigger ones (Audyn 8x 100 uF and 2x 47 uF).

Now, I have not compared an unmodified set with my own and I don't know what this modification is supposed to do exactly. I read on MUG most changes is in the low end. And that is exacttly what worries me because the issue I have is in part that bass doesn't sound right (and soundstage in general is off). Bass sounds thin unless its very prominently present in the source, as in jazz, contrabass, etc. Whenever its not like that, its as if the placement for the lows is "off", I hear it in the kitchen but not where I sit. To me this sounds like a placement/room acoustic issue, but I can't get it right. No matter where I place the speakers in the room, its never right. It wasn't right in my old house and now that we moved, its still off. Even in the middle of the room with no walls close to them (or behind me), soundstage is off and bass is mostly where I don't want to hear it. Like I said, I owned many Magnepans in different places where I lived. Friends own them. I have never had this issue before. I know they can be picky but nothing like this. I'm at a loss and I don't understand what is going on.

Anyone have any idea whether this might be due to that modification? I wonder since its the only set I've had that's like this and its the only set I owned that is modified.

If this is room acoustic related, can soundstage and placement be measured with REW?

Thanks for the help!
By 'middle of the room' I hope you don't mean 50% of the way into the room. That's a deep bass null and not real curable.

My Fartin Logans ESLs are 41% of the way into the room and a had a bit of an upper bass suck out that was mostly curable by moving them just a but closer together.

#7,499 ·
yes it can/should be measured with rew...at multiple speaker positions. I would listen/measure nearfield and extend out. maybe something is broken if rew isnt measuring down to rated specs.

#7,500 · (Edited)
torii,

Hope I'm not off topic, I just revisited the LRS Stereophile review and came upon this listening excerpt I thought would interest you:

"...When the song ended, I was speechless. I could not imagine a million-dollar system playing it any better. Like a child, I played "Promised Land"—America's greatest poem by America's most original poet—over and over, each time louder than the last. Suddenly I wondered: Could the new Maggies play Chuck—loud and with attitude?

Sure as you're born, they bought me a silk suit
Put luggage in my hands

The Little Ribbon Speaker played Chuck loud enough for me (88dB average/96dB peak, C-weighted). And Chuck's Chess-era "rock-it" attitude was definitely getting through. But every cell in my body cried out for more wallop and stronger bass.

This is when I realized that most rockers would want to use a subwoofer (or two): not big ones, just ones that play hard, tight, and fast. However! When the Tidal bot led me to a fine-sounding remastered version of rock-progenitor Fats Domino singing "I Want to Walk You Home" (from Fats Domino Jukebox: 20 Greatest Hits, 41.1/16 FLAC EMI/Tidal), I forgot all about subwoofers and wallop. Fats' voice (which I deeply love) never before sounded this pure and close-to-the-mike present: I could observe the sound of that voice as if it were a crystal or a coin. The LRS took me inside the recording venue; every trim pot and fader-setting was there to be noticed..."

I continue to be thrilled and amazed at how great the Magnepan LRSs sound.It's a
joy to play music and really hear the details, like never before.
So glad I found you long-time Maggie owners (all inclusive) who shared your expertise to guide me along the way. Finally, many thanks to Wendell Diller and Company for the Magnepan Miracle Little Speaker that Could!
sgibson

Oh, one bit of trivia. Carl Sagan chose Chuck Berry's "Johnny Be Good" recording to be added to the Voyager 1 SpaceCraft Gold Disk on-board to be played by any of our neighbors in this Universe that may be fortunate someday to lasso it. Rock on:)

#7,503 ·
Welcome to paradise:)

Almost forgot...Happy Anniversary Magnepan LRS-introduced last year at Axpona 2019.
Placed my order on April 14, 2019. Unboxed and setup on May 14, 2019.
After lots of great tips and advice from all you folks here, finally got them where I want them. Been a love affair ever since. Folks, just one more question...even though it's Valentines Day, you shouldn't feed chocolates to a speaker...probably would smear the sound...right???

#7,502 ·
Its nice to agree with a review from time to time.

#7,505 ·
#7,508 · (Edited)
I read that typical subwoofers should not be used with LRS speakers. Only dipole is recommended. Is this the experience of LRS owners?

#7,510 ·
Excerpt from Stereophile Review on LRSs and Subwoofers:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/magnepan-lrs-loudspeaker-page-2

"...The Little Ribbon Speaker played Chuck loud enough for me (88dB average/96dB peak, C-weighted). And Chuck's Chess-era "rock-it" attitude was definitely getting through. But every cell in my body cried out for more wallop and stronger bass.
This is when I realized that most rockers would want to use a subwoofer (or two): not big ones, just ones that play hard, tight, and fast. However! When the Tidal bot led me to a fine-sounding remastered version of rock-progenitor Fats Domino singing "I Want to Walk You Home" (from Fats Domino Jukebox: 20 Greatest Hits, 41.1/16 FLAC EMI/Tidal), I forgot all about subwoofers and wallop..."

I use a single 12" Hsu sub and after some trial and error placement, tuning 80Hz crossover works fine for my LRSs. As torii says..."ymmv".

#7,516 ·
Im a Lexus guy so cant help you with your cars. wish you a fast and pain free recovery.

#7,517 ·
Lease is up on the Buick so I have to replace that anyway. BUT I do want another old yank tank, but it's gotta be the right one. I would have bought the 1960 Olds 98 (those are so big we should call it an Olds 99) had I noticed it in time. This seller somehow finds magnificent 50s and 60s luxury house boats and I want me one.

#7,518 ·
Will be trying WireWorld Oasis 8 speaker cables tomorrow. I have high hopes. I have their power cords (Electra 7s) and USB cables (Chris, that's the yellow USB cable I sent you), those are good. But I have never tried their speaker cables. Have you owned WireWorld speaker cables or interconnects, guys? Whadayathink?

Attachments

#7,621 ·
Been 10 days since I got these Wireworld speaker cables and they are fully broken in. They came with slippery spades so I ordered authentic golden banana exchange lugs . Luckily, Wireworld cables terminations are interchangeable, you can unscrew your spades and replace them with bananas or whatever.
I gotta say these are excellent, excellent cables. Balanced and pleasant, leaning towards lower and upper midrange. Now I have to replace my interconnects from AudioQuest Jaguars to WireWorld Silver Eclipse 8 XLRs. The interconnects will cost more than double of the speaker cables. There is a rule, the closer the components are to the source the higher quality (and more expensive) they should be.