AVS Forum banner
1M views 10K replies 585 participants last post by  threshold350 
#1 ·
This thread is for discussion of Magnepan speakers. I think there are a lot of owners on the forum but I haven't seen a thread for them. Below are some useful links for owners or those considering Mags.

Owner's Manuals

Maggie User Group

Planar forum at the Asylum

Reviews

Mye stands

Magnepan also offers a cheap and easy way to test drive some Mags. You can buy MMG's straight from Magnepan and try them out for 60 days in your home risk free. Or, if you want, you can upgrade within one year and get full credit for your MMG purchase. Details here .

I'm currently using some Magnepan 1.6QR's. Previously I had some 3.6R's and before that some 1b's 3a's and a pair of 2 somethings.

Hopefully, forum members curious about these speakers can come here and learn and any owners can ask questions. One thing I've found with my maggie experiences is to feed them lots of power. I drove the 3.6R's with a Musical Fidelity Trivista 300 and felt no need for a sub with two channel sources. The sound was divine.

Feel free to PM me with anything else you think should be in the first page and I'll add it.

See less See more
#7,620 ·
"There was also just a touch of smearing during more complex string passages on the D-Sonic. Texture and layering of different timbres seemed to be better on the AHB2"

Thanks for this. That confirms it. Those space aliens in my back yard are real.

#7,640 ·
everytime I get an audio advisor catalog in mail I wonder about vincent audio. glad to hear you like yours. dont hear much about brand.

#7,641 ·
Nice looking, reasonably small footprint, certainly not light weight though, seems like a quality well built piece of equipment. Doesn't even break a sweat with the LRS's, seems effortless with a deep soundstage. I would describe the sound as rich and full with the bass well controlled and tight. If you're looking for analytical this probably isn't it. Tames a little of the brightness on the upper end with the LRS's. I went to hear it in LA on multiple speakers, Tannoy's and something else less efficient that I don't remember the name of and they both sounded really good. I want to try it with my LFT-8B's to see what it can do with them. I think its a good value for the price as well.

#7,649 ·
I usually leave an offer for a week if seller changes mind and move on. I have only bought 2 things off aduiogon and both times I got at least 100 off....hegal is top line audiophile brand, so if you somehow dont like it, should be able to resell around same price. if really want the hegal negotiate a tryout/return policy for 10 days or so and see if that flies.

#7,650 ·
you could probably buy my 2x nads bridged for 1700 from safeandsound refurbished. from nad support "I talked to our director of engineering. The C275 is capable of putting out in excess of 1200 watts in bridged mode into low impedances. Your speakers re rated at 350 watts maximum."

#7,651 ·

Attachments

#7,658 ·
A few days ago I posted pics of a sub I sold on Ebay for $760. The auction had a detailed description, even a video walkthrough shot on the day of the listing to demonstrate how it works (in autocalibration).

The auction clearly said "No Returns". The buyer receives it a couple of days back. He wants to return it. His reasons clearly show he has changed his mind, there is nothing wrong with the sub other than clearly described and even videoed. I reply "sorry, the auction clearly said no returns". His answer is "I don't care, refund the price plus shipping both ways or else".
Indeed, I receive an email from Ebay saying if I dont do what he says I may end up being charged the entire amount to my Paypal plus the buyer keeps to get the sub. Screwed, in other words. Ebay also says even your auction was a "no returns" you still have to accept a return. How much sense does that make?
I send the buyer an offer to pay him $50 then $100 to leave me alone. He declines. All polite and respectful. Some buyer.
Anyways, I dont sell a lot on Ebay , may be once or twice a year. A grand is a big deal for me, especially a grand that is stolen like that.
Ebay's policy seems to be this: "buyer is always right". The big sellers just absorb occurrences like that, happily pay the price+shipping both ways and consider them a cost of doing business. To them if they sell $100,000 worth of $10 items ten or fifteen of them are refunded they dont care, they even let the customers keep it along with the refund. But small sellers are considered small potatoes by Ebay. Put up or shut up.
Considering my options. He will ruin my 100% positive feedback which is close to 300 as of now. That is for sure. What would you guys do?

#7,659 ·
A few days ago I posted pics of a sub I sold on Ebay for $760. The auction had a detailed description, even a video walkthrough shot on the day of the listing to demonstrate how it works (in autocalibration).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJeJeveFCqE
The auction clearly said "No Returns". The buyer receives it a couple of days back. He wants to return it. His reasons clearly show he has changed his mind, there is nothing wrong with the sub other than clearly described and even videoed. I reply "sorry, the auction clearly said no returns". His answer is "I don't care, refund the price plus shipping both ways or else".
Indeed, I receive an email from Ebay saying if I dont do what he says I may end up being charged the entire amount to my Paypal plus the buyer keeps to get the sub. Screwed, in other words. Ebay also says even your auction was a "no returns" you still have to accept a return. How much sense does that make?
I send the buyer an offer to pay him $50 then $100 to leave me alone. He declines. All polite and respectful. Some buyer.
Anyways, I dont sell a lot on Ebay , may be once or twice a year. A grand is a big deal for me, especially a grand that is stolen like that.
Ebay's policy seems to be this: "buyer is always right". The big sellers just absorb occurrences like that, happily pay the price+shipping both ways and consider them a cost of doing business. To them if they sell $100,000 worth of $10 items ten or fifteen of them are refunded they dont care, they even let the customers keep it along with the refund. But small sellers are considered small potatoes by Ebay. Put up or shut up.
Considering my options. He will ruin my 100% positive feedback which is close to 300 as of now. That is for sure. What would you guys do?
The guy is trying to bait and switch me with the listing saying 90.01 shipping and then claiming it would be 165 dollars to ship it from nevada. So i feel your pain with dishonest people.

#7,661 ·
sellers cant use paypal, cause paypal guarantees returns last I checked

#7,672 ·
Now for some OSS 117. You dont have to understand neither French, nor Arabic to enjoy this excerpt from a French version of our the Naked Gun with Leslie Nielsen:

#7,675 ·
I use just one of the cheapest thing they make up here with the LRSs and that is the Dynamo 300. I tried a dynamo 500 and that sucks so it sits here in the corner unplugged.

I have a pair 700s that I run in stereo for the ML ESLs downstairs. I also have a pair of SVS subs that I didn't like so those also just sit unplugged

#7,677 ·
subs are really hard to get right with any speaker. take your time. I like rythmik subs.

#7,679 ·
Another vote for Rythmik, I'm running two F18 that I'm still dialing in. I've used a couple different Rel subs that worked fine too, but the Rythmiks definitely feel like they're on a different level of performance.
I'm generally skeptical of subs from audiophile speaker brands. Then again, I'm often skeptical of subs from home theater brands, so that limits things.

#7,682 ·
Someone listed my dream setup on Audiogon. A pair of Dynaudio Evidence Platinums with a six pack of RELs. Around $82,000 worth for $30K.

#7,684 ·
With Magnepans nothing beats RELs, that is my preference. To each his own though.