AV123 Forum is down. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Shoot.... about ten minutes with the web builder where I have my website.... I threw together this. Crude.... sure it is. But with a few of hours of work, I could build something at least halfway respectable. It could even have full blown product pages with a shopping cart to boot.

http://www.av123-temporary-site.citymax.com/index.html

John W.
Indy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 11:56 AM

Liked: 10
Nicely done Quadman !!
No way is this the work of a man on dial-up.

Bonk

2 wrongs don't make a right.
But 3 lefts do.

post #183 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MED8 View Post

Nicely done Quadman !!
No way is this the work of a man on dial-up.

Bonk

LOL.... ok I admit.... I spent about 30 minutes on it. Someone with broadband could have done it in ten. It's a really easy to use web builder at my web hosting site. REALLY easy to use. And if MLS wants, I would be HAPPY to put something together for him. Dial up and all.

John W.
Indy
post #184 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 12:17 PM

Man this is really annoying...now that the av123forum is down, how will I find the person that was considering selling me some AV123 credit? Dangit!
post #185 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls View Post

Shoot.... about ten minutes with the web builder where I have my website.... I threw together this. Crude.... sure it is. But with a few of hours of work, I could build something at least halfway respectable. It could even have full blown product pages with a shopping cart to boot.

That is nice work!

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #186 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightgambit View Post

Just read through the hosting companies pages - they list 24x7 no less than 4 times, with a guarantee that expenses will not exceed the estimate, period. Also read through the 3 backup options they have - and unless you opted out of all 3 options, the site should have had some sort of backup - even if it was a week or two old. Having the main page down for an ID company for this long is totally unacceptable and is detrimental to the perception. I know if I went to some new company based on word-of-mouth and all I saw was that home page for two days, I wouldn't be back.

Unbelievable that you had to even "authorize" recovery, in fact, they should be praying that you don't file a litigation for loss of revenue - especially based upon the claims they make.

3-9K to recover data ! I wish I were closer and could get my hands on those disks - I sure could use 3-9K in speakers :-)

Not meaning to piss on your day more - but it really would be a good idea to rebuild a few pages to explain what is going on. That could be done in less than 24 hours using the archives pointed to earlier in the thread. Sure, no shopping cart or forum, but atleast have a valid presence and something to post announcements on. It's a shame that we have to use a non business critical site to correspond with a business.

Good luck - and don't forget the shotgun - when you go Turkey hunting :-)

I think it kind of depends on what kind of hosting option AV123 is running on. The company I work for offers "shared hosting" on several different Unix servers that host several different sites at once. I'd guess that a site with the traffic load and forum data of ********** has would be on it's own dedicated box. That's where things get a bit stickier. Does AV123 own the box or does the hosting company? It is a box that AV123 owns and manages or does the hosting company? There are plenty of options in this business and we don't know definitively how AV123's agreement was structured. Apparently, since they're paying 3-9K for a recovery service, it was up to AV123 to handle backups of their own data.
post #187 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

This is so sad/disapointing! Even though I'm learning more about web hosting than I ever thought I would, I wish we were discussing black Friday deals, speakers ect.

Got to get that web site back up!

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #188 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 01:27 PM

No need to worry UW all will be made well in time. And rAInMo9, who was this person? Maybe someone here knows him and can't link you up with him...
post #189 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks John...

As I mentioned in my two e-mails to you - we so very much appreciate your jumping in to our aid...

Sadly - Friday we were supposed to have our "earlier site" up and running before mid-day... Mike had promised this to our team... Unfortunately, for reasons that I'm not 100% sure of (they were technical in nature) we ended up with ZIP...

Damn...

I've been talking with a ton of folks here this weekend - and one forum member (a REAL Expert) that has a deep and profound understanding of all of this has agreed to be our "oversight manager" with respect to this... We will hire another company by the end of business Monday - and this "hero (to me) will step in and make sure of EVERYTHING along the way... Had a super chat with him a bit earlier... He can identify himself should he care to... I won't...

We are not giving up folks... we are setting the stage to getting everything back to "normal"...

I'm not sure why stuff like this happens to us around the holidays... but last year we had phone problems...

Praying for better days...

Still smiling...

mls

Founder and President
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies
post #190 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOCHY View Post

I think it kind of depends on what kind of hosting option AV123 is running on. The company I work for offers "shared hosting" on several different Unix servers that host several different sites at once. I'd guess that a site with the traffic load and forum data of ********** has would be on it's own dedicated box. That's where things get a bit stickier. Does AV123 own the box or does the hosting company? It is a box that AV123 owns and manages or does the hosting company? There are plenty of options in this business and we don't know definitively how AV123's agreement was structured. Apparently, since they're paying 3-9K for a recovery service, it was up to AV123 to handle backups of their own data.

Actually... this was NOT the case... The backups - etc. were clearly in the domain of Threshold... We are not experts in this field - so we hired Sean's Father In Law who was supposed to be "all that" and more...

The sad fact is this... I said send the drives because I do not want to wait 5 or 7 days... If I have to pony up - I will... but I can assure you that this is NOT part of our deal...

We had contracted for our own server... We had contracted for backups, etc. In my wildest dreams I could NEVER have imagined that the backup drive was in the same machine - and in the same location...

When I asked Mike about this (quietly and respectfully as he is just getting over quad-bypass) he told me point blank that this had not been handled well...

... what can I say now.

Humbled...

mls

Founder and President
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies
post #191 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 02:03 PM

Sounds like a mirrored raid back up, which is pretty standard. Protects against physical drive failure, completely fails if the whole system is fried. They should have had a back up of the data at a remote site they could reload. Clearly they put all their faith in the raid (I've done this before with the same result). It is good for what it is but really it isn't much and maybe not even needed if everything else is done proper.

Sorry for your problems. I hope there is a back up some where.
post #192 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 02:12 PM

Yeah, RAID is most definitely not intended as a total backup solution. In a perfect world there should be tape archives that are transported off site.
post #193 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by django1 View Post

No need to worry UW all will be made well in time. And rAInMo9, who was this person? Maybe someone here knows him and can't link you up with him...

Let's see...There were I think two people that I was interested in buying credit from, one of them said he might be selling $4k in the near future, and the other person was selling somewhere between $300-$1000...Also, there was a person who was moving or something and selling a bunch of stuff (including a $550 Xbox360 package with a bunch of stuff)...I was interested in buying his PS3. Well, if anyone else is interested in selling their credit (I need $565) or their PS3, and is willing to do the Ebay/Paypal/Buy It Now thing, please contact me...Thanks. I hope AV123 gets their site and forum straightened out soon...
post #194 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMTRVT View Post

Quad's book of goodies is a fine one to own.

Quote:

Yeah Jack.... you know, we sold so many of those so darned quickly, I never actually got a copy of my own. Neither did Mike who also put in so much work on the thing. I ran across some extra pages and cover pages the other day. I had planned on trying to put together a few more books to take to the binders while the girls are off for the holidays.

Hopefully, I can come up with a few extras and let MLS raffle them off on the forum for various charities or worthy causes. That would be kinda cool.

I'll sell you mine for $100. I figure it's a collectors item. it might go for $150 on eBay !!!!

Jack
post #195 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L. Schifter View Post

Hi Guys...

My mac mail is still working fine...

mlsav123@mac.com

I apologize for the depth of my e-mail bin...

I'm truly trying hard to catch up a bit... Our last b stock group is set to arrive next week (fulfilling all b/o's) but I understand we had a few show up early... Kyle is really doing a good job between all of us...

Sorry for the delay... maybe my letter made it a tad more understandable...

Everyone will get their subs (of course)... their $100 dollar Gift Certs for av123's new electronics - and of course a cert for a Trim Plate as promised...

I also have not asked one dime from anyone for freight... (but I still reserve that right )...

Humbly...

mls

oops. i paid shipping...was i not supposed to?? if not, surprise me with a really cool finish!! or paypal refund is good too, or maybe $75 off another b-stock? (no really, surprise me. i don't care the color, cause when the lights are off...) let me know!!
post #196 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L. Schifter View Post

Thanks John...

As I mentioned in my two e-mails to you - we so very much appreciate your jumping in to our aid...

No worries.... obviously, I realized you'd be hiring a real pro to handle all of the heavy lifting.... I just wanted to let you know I could help a bit for the short term should you need it.

Good luck Mark....

John W.
Indy
post #197 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 05:09 PM

At my parish/school the IT guy has both a RAID and daily tape backup. He comes into my computer lab daily to swap tapes then takes them to another building. If our system went down to equipment failure he could have the backup system in place and operational in a heartbeat. The speed that the new tape drives work at is pretty impressive. I hope whoever MLS picks, they offer tape backup.
post #198 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 05:30 PM

There also is the AV123 forum in the AudioCircle manufacturers mall that people could go to.

Sean posted this over there about his Skiing Ninja site and the issue:

>>>"There was a significant hardware failure of main and backup systems. I've got my domains back already and I'm uploading files now but AV123 will take longer as they had slightly more data "

>>>"This is not the fault of the provider so those of you using a jump to conclusion mat, please stop."

Jack
post #199 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 05:40 PM

I found an ********** page in the Google cache, (while searching for 'Xbox' of all things, to show that dude how to do it, forgetting the forum has a different domain) that is loaded with, um, questionable links, 100's of k of hidden links. You have to view the source to see them.

What's up with that? Some page rank 'trick'? A hijacking/code injection? The webmaster making some coin on the side?
post #200 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopguru View Post

I found an ********** page in the Google cache, (while searching for 'Xbox' of all things, to show that dude how to do it, forgetting the forum has a different domain) that is loaded with, um, questionable links, 100's of k of hidden links. You have to view the source to see them.

What's up with that? Some page rank 'trick'? A hijacking/code injection? The webmaster making some coin on the side?

I doubt it was a page rank trick, the ********** website was poorly optimized for search engine visibility.

Not sure what page you are referring to..it would be interesting to see it... as of right now google has already cached the new ********** homepage.
post #201 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 06:08 PM

This is way beyond badly optimized.

Take the link I put up here a page or so ago

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...t=more-results

Then, append 'xbox 360' (w/o quotes) to the end of the words in the search box, like this

site:********** ********** xbox360

Go to the cached copy of that page, and view the source. It's LOADED with very questionable links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWK2000 View Post

I doubt it was a page rank trick, the ********** website was poorly optimized for search engine visibility.

Not sure what page you are referring to..it would be interesting to see it... as of right now google has already cached the new ********** homepage.

post #202 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereofanoregon View Post

At my parish/school the IT guy has both a RAID and daily tape backup. He comes into my computer lab daily to swap tapes then takes them to another building. If our system went down to equipment failure he could have the backup system in place and operational in a heartbeat. The speed that the new tape drives work at is pretty impressive. I hope whoever MLS picks, they offer tape backup.

I think they did but for whatever reason they didn't manage the tape backups well at all.

Mark,

Having the tape backup unit onsite and even in the same machine isn't a bad thing. It's what the administrators do in terms of a backup plan is really the culprit. To do backups through a WAN link over at a different physical location just isn't feasible...especially when you have large server farms with tons of data to push through. The pipe alone would probably bankrupt the company. What should be done is to have a multi-tape backup unit which you can rotate tapes in and out of it without having to take the unit off line. Incremental backups should have been done along with full backups. Larger systems might even employ a VTL (virtual tape library) which would be an intermediary storage before the data ultimately gets put on tape improving backup performance. The tapes should have definitely been rotated out of the tape unit and the full backups taken off site.
post #203 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Go to the cached copy of that page, and view the source. It's LOADED with very questionable links.

Wow no kidding. I know mls wouldn't have authorized that sort of thing.

Could be from a hacker who was sticking invisible links in the html to boost pageranks for SEO.

Jeremy Gillow
post #204 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Viewing the source shows that the site was definitely compromised.

Mark - be sure in your new scheme you have load balanced servers behind a traffic manager (such as an F5 BigIP). I'd also highly recommend a duplicate backup site in another location that can easily be switched to. The forum's data would probably be a day stale on the backup but a working site is better than no site. We run the above scenario at work and we can reroute traffic in minutes, not hours or days.

Kevin
post #205 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 06:55 PM

I do the same sort of thing with my domain, fairly cheaply, with a dynamic DNS service out of Nevada.

This doesn't have to be expensive, just well thought out and implemented. And again, what's up with the "compromise"? That should be sorted out.

Also, quick shout out to qmail for a secure email server, to go along with the earlier recommendation of Apache for the web server.
qmailtoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrid View Post

Viewing the source shows that the site was definitely compromised.

Mark - be sure in your new scheme you have load balanced servers behind a traffic manager (such as an F5 BigIP). I'd also highly recommend a duplicate backup site in another location that can easily be switched to. The forum's data would probably be a day stale on the backup but a working site is better than no site. We run the above scenario at work and we can reroute traffic in minutes, not hours or days.

post #206 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do the same sort of thing with my domain, fairly cheaply, with a dynamic DNS service out of Nevada.

This doesn't have to be expensive, just well thought out and implemented. And again, what's up with the "compromise"? That should sorted out.

You are correct, it is not hard, it just has to be done right. At an enterprise level it can get very expensive but for a sales website it shouldn't cost an arm and a let.

The "compromise" is something they really have to look into. That is a major security concern and I wonder if other sites on that server have the same references. My bet is that they do.

Kevin
post #207 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 07:26 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgillow View Post

Wow no kidding. I know mls wouldn't have authorized that sort of thing.

Could be from a hacker who was sticking invisible links in the html to boost pageranks for SEO.

I'm certain he'd be shocked to see that. OTOH, recalling he's mentioned having some heavy handed friends back in the mother country, wouldn't it be great if Threshold had the skills, logs, and backups to determine when the hack occurred so MLS could arrange a little introduction between the hacker(s) and his friends?
post #208 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 07:29 PM

I can't believe it took me 3 days to figure out to check here to know what's up with the AV123 forum!

Jess, if you're reading this, could you please let me know if you got my email and let me know what I should do?

Mark, I think you might need more than just a couple of adult beverages

Goodluck guys, hope to see you up and running soon. I'm missing the forum there
post #209 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gabriel Gerena View Post

and dialing ext 308!
I wonder if Jess reads this on Saturdays?!

Indeed he does!

Jess Quintana
AV123 Representative
Parker, Colorado.
post #210 of 291 Old 11-22-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubyhalo View Post

I can't believe it took me 3 days to figure out to check here to know what's up with the AV123 forum!

Jess, if you're reading this, could you please let me know if you got my email and let me know what I should do?

Mark, I think you might need more than just a couple of adult beverages

Goodluck guys, hope to see you up and running soon. I'm missing the forum there

I haven't signed on to check e-mail this weekend, but I'm sure it is there. We can talk on Monday!

Jess Quintana
AV123 Representative
Parker, Colorado.
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page