What other maybe less expensive speakers Fill room like Klipsch? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 11-27-2008, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I like the way that that the Klipsch sound feels the room and makes you feel like your actually in the movies. I was listining to the F1 2 and 3's at CC and the VF-35 at BB. I think I like the Synergy at CC better because they seem to have either better mids or the highs just aren't so high that it seems like their missing frequency like the VF-35 Sound.

1. But I'm wondering are there any other speakers horn or no horn tweeter that will sound like this.

2. Also is it possible for a speaker to produce such room feeling sound without the horn tweeter.

3. I was looking into purchasing some Bic Ht-75's because they have same construction as Klipsch, but from what I see, they weigh 25pds less. People are saying they are comparable but how can that bee if they only weigh 26pds apiece, and the klipsch weigh 49pds.

Any and all opinions and advice accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-27-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Depending on where you live, I would check out the used market for Klipsch Reference speakers within your budget. I would look at your front 3 speakers first and try to build on that over time.

Another option is check out some of these places going out of business and see what they have to offer on close-out prices in the Klipsch Reference Line. My 2 cents.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-27-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'd look at Cerwin Vega or BIC for something less expensive that'll still play loud...if "loud" is the important quality.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #4 of 18 Old 11-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
You can check out the radio shack pro speakers. If you like the sound but want nicer looking speakers, you can enclose each in a DIY cabinet and make them look like Klipsch Heresy.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-27-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The BIC Acoustech sets would be my first stop... shop.com has a 5.1 setup with tower mains, center, dipole/bipole surrounds, and the very capable H-100 subwoofer (designed by HSU), all for $799. This entire set is extremely well reviewed.

Otherwise, as others have stated, check the used market for Kilpsch Reference speakers... they likely won't be any less expensive than the Synergys you're looking at, but might offer more bang for the same buck. Check around for older RF-3s or RF-5s. The reference series is one of the few Klipsch lines I've ever liked (outside of their THX lines)... they're still bright, but much more balanced than the Synergys.

post #6 of 18 Old 11-27-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Some speakers you may like are the floorstanding speakers made by Sony, polk, JBL, Elemental designs and B&W, although the Polks didnt empress me as much as they should given all of the five star and over reviews on polk speakers.

The JBL,s and Sonys are for people who want to rock without the paint peeling tweeter of the Klipsch, I havent heard ED and B&W speakers yet but they seem to be well liked, but the B&W may be an Aquired taste for some being that they are known to be a bit "boomy".

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #7 of 18 Old 11-27-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

Some speakers you may like are the floorstanding speakers made by Sony, polk, JBL, Elemental designs and B&W, although the Polks didnt empress me as much as they should given all of the five star and over reviews on polk speakers.

The JBL,s and Sonys are for people who want to rock without the paint peeling tweeter of the Klipsch, I havent heard ED and B&W speakers yet but they seem to be well liked, but the B&W may be an Aquired taste for some being that they are known to be a bit "boomy".

This is like a mad lib of a speaker recommendation... make up a story, insert some random brand names, mix thoroughly, microwave on high, wait 5 minutes and serve.

You've thrown out a few fairly entry level retail brand names, an ID brand, and a higher end somewhat boutique brand... none of which sound particularly like Klipsch, and some of which (B&W) are nearly polar opposites.

I guess a lot of posts like this are how you get to over 2000 posts in just over 2 years?

post #8 of 18 Old 11-27-2008, 07:59 PM

I don't know how anyone can even mention Sony speakers in the same post as Klipsch. I know Klipsch is an acquired taste but man, what a stretch.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-28-2008, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RONIN- View Post

I don't know how anyone can even mention Sony speakers in the same post as Klipsch. I know Klipsch is an acquired taste but man, what a stretch.

I have nothing agains klipsh, as for the others they don't sound like klipsch, and frankly, klipsch has its own unique signature sound. As for the sony, I was asuming he wanted a more laid back speaker. The JBL speakers are better than the Sony and I will say that esp for people who like headroom and want to ROCK.

I should have pointed out that none of these speakers sound like klipsch, but they can fill a larger room with decent sound, without the "strident" highs, which is why the OP said he wanted something with a big sound that didnt have a "horny" sound.

I would never rate sony over klipsch or JBL, although polk sounded a bit weak in the mids to me and that would be a problem in a huge room. IMO.

I havent gotten to hear B&W or the ED speakers, but I may not be missing much judging by the complaints about B&W's being tubby as for the ED's people do say they are very crisp sounding so they might impress me.

post #10 of 18 Old 11-28-2008, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

I should have pointed out that none of these speakers sound like klipsch, but they can fill a larger room with decent sound, without the "strident" highs, which is why the OP said he wanted something with a big sound that didnt have a "horny" sound.

Fwiw, I did not see any of that in the Original post and thought he was looking for a speaker that sounded like Klipsch.
post #11 of 18 Old 11-28-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

If he wants true theater sound, he should go with pro-audio stuff , big PA type speakers Muscleman amps with huge VU meters that go from the ceiling to the floor and they have to go to 11.

If you wanna rock, go big or go home, the metal gods will shine thier light upon him and the clouds will part as the knob comes coser to the one o clock position!

post #12 of 18 Old 11-28-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If he wants true theater sound, he should go with pro-audio stuff , big PA type speakers Muscleman amps with huge VU meters that go from the ceiling to the floor and they have to go to 11.

If you wanna rock, go big or go home, the metal gods will shine thier light upon him and the clouds will part as the knob comes coser to the one o clock position!

post #13 of 18 Old 11-28-2008, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Wow read my post about them. These things are killing anything I've ever heard of or dreaded of. As far as I'm concerned its the best speaker on the planet. yeah maybe not but to me at least. Yeah who mentioned sony. Somethings wrong with you. Your even more clueless than me. LOL
post #14 of 18 Old 11-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Congrats. Real theaters use horny speakers.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-28-2008, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvo View Post

Wow read my post about them. These things are killing anything I've ever heard of or dreaded of. As far as I'm concerned its the best speaker on the planet. yeah maybe not but to me at least. Yeah who mentioned sony. Somethings wrong with you. Your even more clueless than me. LOL

You might want to wait until these become available next year. JBL LS

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/ser...&Region=EUROPE
post #16 of 18 Old 11-28-2008, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

You might want to wait until these become available next year. JBL LS

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/ser...&Region=EUROPE

Now thats what I am talking about, look at them wide mouth Horns, you will be deaf before you overdrive those.

post #17 of 18 Old 11-28-2008, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

I'll probably have these speakers for the next 10 years. maybe upgrade sub in a couple years. I still haven't watch a movie with them. I'll reply as to how they will sound.
post #18 of 18 Old 11-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Check out JTR speakers. There are a few threads on here about them. I will be getting LCR of the triple 12LF's when my house is near completion.

--JK
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page