Need 5.1 System for about $2500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-28-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a 58" Panasonic TH-58PZ800U and the Onkyo TX-SR876.

I have about $2500 left and was looking for suggestions. I want a floor standing 5.1 setup.

I was looking at the Klipsch RF-82 Home Theater system. I can get it for about $2700. Is it any good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-28-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
You might want to look into SalkSound SongSeries. The whole package will run you a more than $2500, but Jim might give you a little break on price if you order the whole package at the same time, and the improved sound you get would be worth the extra scratch (IMO). Plus you can order any veneer/paint combination that you can imagine.

Other option to consider:
Totem Acoustic
Paradigm
Monitor Audio

(Those are ones I have heard and like)

Ones I haven't heard, but get very favorable reviews and offer good bang for the buck:

AV123
SVS MTS-01
(both are ID companies)

Best thing to do is get out there and audition, so you can let your ears decide what you like.

Lot's of info here on AVS documenting other peoples searches and opinions.

Good luck
Cheers,
-Funk

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #3 of 14 Old 11-28-2008, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Do you know if the RF-82 are any good? Also, know the difference between those and RF-52?
post #4 of 14 Old 11-28-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I really don't. But there have been a couple of recent posts gushing over the VF-36. I haven't personally auditioned any Klipsch speakers. People say that the "horn"(tweeter) sound is distinctive, and if you like it Klipsch make some really good ones. I am a ribbon tweeter guy, those and metal domes provide the high end "air" and "sparkle" that I have come to appreciate.

Try a search for "Klipsch RF-82" (if you haven't already) and see what comes up.
There are a ton of options out there that fit your price range. If you want really good sound I would suggest going somewhere other than BestBuy, or Circuit City and searching out an independent Hi-fi shop.

Seriously, take everything that you find on the forums with a grain of salt. It is your opinion that really matters. Some people can be perfectly happy with a HTIB... I took the red pill and wound up spending way more than my original budget, but I know that I am putting together an very good system, and that can get expensive!

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #5 of 14 Old 11-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

If I were buying I'd probably buy the AV123 package deal: http://**********/component/page,shop...art/Itemid,37/

Option 4 or 5 includes the sub (a great sub).

This will come in right under your $2.5k budget. You'd be getting about $4-4.3k worth of gear with this package/end-of-year sale by the way.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-28-2008, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

should i be worried? the most expensive 5.1 I had before was a crappy bose speaker system...

Now I have rockets on the way...

Is the difference that noticeable between them? I have a pretty good ear, but this would be my first entry into hifi territory...
post #7 of 14 Old 11-29-2008, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

You will definately hear the difference. I am not a critical listener and even I can tell the difference between my old system to my Rockets. Hopefully you have a subwoofer on the way as well.

After you are done with the set up and calibration, definately watch Pirates of the Carribean 1-3, Lords of the Ring Ext. Version 1-3 and it'll blow your mind away.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-29-2008, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Do you know how long they take to get? I don't think I'm on the December bandwagon... If that's the case, I might cancel.

Are they worth a couple month wait? If not, is there another brand you would go with thats just as good for the same amount of money?
post #9 of 14 Old 11-29-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I doubt you'll get it in December. What did the sales rep say? As of today, I believe the Labor Day Sale is just being delivered. Unless they have something up their sleeves, I don't think you'll see it for 2-3 months. They have a very, very long list of buyers ahead of you. Last year, I bought mine in Nov.'07 and didn't get it until Feb. '08.

Now, was it worth the long wait? Can't say about you but it was definately worth it for me. The price I pay for them compare to other speakers out there, just can't beat the Rockets. Only you can say if you can wait that long. Believe me, if it wasn't for such a huge savings and such a good product....I wouldn't have bother to wait that long. But in the end, it was worth it to me.

Two other great deals I see are the KEFs IQ at Vanns and Onecall. The Swan Diva 6.1 at ozhometheater are the other two deals I would look at based on best bang for the buck deals.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-29-2008, 09:49 AM

Liked: 15
I bought a 5.1 setup about a year ago for around $2500 (speakers only) that I'm very happy with.

Fronts: Monitor Audio RS6
Center: Monitor Audio RS-LCR
Rears: Definitive Technologies UIW BP/A (in-ceiling due to placement difficulties)
Sub: Epik Valor

I run all of the above from a Marantz SR7002. Just another example of what around $2500 can buy you.

Enjoy the search, it's half the fun.

dboff01
post #11 of 14 Old 11-29-2008, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Have you listened to Klipsch? They have are not for everyone... and the Rockets have a distinctly different sound (one more people will likely find pleasing, but everything is very subjective). If you have awhile to wait on the Rockets then I'd get out and listen to some retail brands (Paradigm, B&W, DefTech, PSB, Energy, Klipsch, even Polk, JBL, Boston) and tell us what you like... from there we can make other reccomendations including other retail brands and ID brands to check out. Some other ID brands to check out would be Axiom, Ascend, Home Theater Direct, Swans, Acculine, and Dana... but without knowing what you've listened to and what you like it's hard to really narrow it down to the brands that may have sound that you like. Good luck!

post #12 of 14 Old 11-30-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

What places carry the upper end speakers? All the major places carry klipsch, definitive, polk, infinity... None of the Paradigm, B&W, and DefTech...
post #13 of 14 Old 11-30-2008, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

where are you located? Go to google maps and enter your zip code... search businesses for "hi-fi" or stereo, or speakers.

definitive, and DefTech are the same (Definitive Technologies)

Or go to the company web sites to locate a dealer close to you.

click the link in my sig that may be of some help... if nothing else there are lots of links to be found in that thread. All the speakers that I auditioned are linked to the company sites (specs for each speaker)... first one being B&W

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #14 of 14 Old 11-30-2008, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

haha can you tell I'm a n00b?

I just had a guy offer me this:

L&R mains Pinnacle BD1000 - $1300pr
Center Pinnacle BD 600 - $795
Surrounds Pinnacle BD1000 - $1300pr
SUB Pinnacle SUPERSONIC - $1599
=====================
MSRP = $4994

Your Price $2699 plus shipping

Is that a rip off? And more importantly, do BD1000's sound good at all?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page