Hanging surrounds-distance question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-29-2008, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
given the layout of my room, i'm forced to hang the surrounds from a 9' ceiling...this prompts a couple of questions:
1. any problems hanging the speakers upside down (infinity tss 1200)
2. given the height, i'll be forced to angle the speakers down into the listening position as opposed to across the listening area. The further away i mount them from the listening position, the less this angle will be...the front's will be approx 11' from the listening position..is this distance too far for the surrounds? (i.e. is 11' too great of distance from the surround to the listening position)

thanks in advance..gm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-29-2008, 10:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_tiger View Post

given the layout of my room, i'm forced to hang the surrounds from a 9' ceiling...this prompts a couple of questions:
1. any problems hanging the speakers upside down (infinity tss 1200)

No.

Quote:

2. given the height, i'll be forced to angle the speakers down into the listening position as opposed to across the listening area. The further away i mount them from the listening position, the less this angle will be...the front's will be approx 11' from the listening position..is this distance too far for the surrounds? (i.e. is 11' too great of distance from the surround to the listening position)

thanks in advance..gm

You don't state whether these are side surrounds (5.1), or side and rear surrounds (7.1). Either way, they should be distributed according to the Dolby recommendations:
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...oomlayout.html
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...omlayout2.html

The distance to the listening position will be compensated for by the "Distance" setting in the receiver/pre/pro.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #3 of 5 Old 11-30-2008, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks..have read lots of advice regarding angle of the 5.1 surround speaker placement, but very little about distance...so within reason, should 'further away with a shallower angle' from the listening area be better than 'closer in and pointing more downward'? ...at it's furtherest, the surrounds would be approx the same distance from LP as the fronts...

i could drop the speakers down from the ceiling more but i have searched and searched and not found mounts with an extension of more than 3-4 inches..*i.e. i could drop them 12-18 inches if i could find long enough hangers"...
thanks in advance..gm
post #4 of 5 Old 11-30-2008, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you must hang speakers off a ceiling that are not designed to do so, I suggest looking into In ceiling speakers. This will give you a clean look and most have pivotable tweeters. Not to mention they sound awesome for rears.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-30-2008, 06:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:

thanks..have read lots of advice regarding angle of the 5.1 surround speaker placement, but very little about distance...so within reason, should 'further away with a shallower angle' from the listening area be better than 'closer in and pointing more downward'? ...at it's furtherest, the surrounds would be approx the same distance from LP as the fronts...

Yeah, further away and at a shallower angle would be better.

Quote:

i could drop the speakers down from the ceiling more but i have searched and searched and not found mounts with an extension of more than 3-4 inches..*i.e. i could drop them 12-18 inches if i could find long enough hangers"...
thanks in advance..gm

Try Stands and Mounts:
http://www.standsandmounts.com/index...OD&ProdID=3633

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page