It never sounds REAL... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 49 Old 12-01-2008, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The problem, it seems, with high end stuff is that there aren't a lot of brick and mortar stores I can listen to them in.

I'm not exactly comfortable showing up at random peoples houses for auditions and playing my music for 30 minutes...

Any other ideas how to listen to them? What stores carry good brands... Best Buy only had DefTech and I'll search out Circuit city tomorrow... but what else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 12-01-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ei8htyfi5e View Post

The problem, it seems, with high end stuff is that there aren't a lot of brick and mortar stores I can listen to them in.

I'm not exactly comfortable showing up at random peoples houses for auditions and playing my music for 30 minutes...

Any other ideas how to listen to them? What stores carry good brands... Best Buy only had DefTech and I'll search out Circuit city tomorrow... but what else?

If it was me, I'd wait for the Rockets to be delivered, listen to them and then decide, since they have a trial period.
post #33 of 49 Old 12-01-2008, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

I would do that too but shipping isn't paid and it's costing 450 to ship them 1 way. I don't want to be out $850 just because....
post #34 of 49 Old 12-01-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I would do that too but shipping isn't paid and it's costing 450 to ship them 1 way. I don't want to be out $850 just because....

You just pay return shipping.....Although I havent followed AV123's shipping policies lately. You could always call and ask them too just simple the 850s alone first.....try them and the total cost is a lot less if you do not like them....I doubt you will return them

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #35 of 49 Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 AM

I'd like to throw some more brands into this mix, just from reading about them here and other places.

JTR Triple 8's
Geddes Nathans
Linkwitz Labs Plutos
Sierra 1
The $600 factory direct Magnepans
post #36 of 49 Old 12-01-2008, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

If you are worried about colors, have you taken a look at the KEFs at Onecall and Vanns? Or the Faux Black Cherry Swan Diva 6.1 at Ozhometheater?
post #37 of 49 Old 12-01-2008, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Another great choice would be to look at SVS MTS line of speakers...

I just got the second version at my house for demo, and they make a fantastic product for the price... I think you would be very happy with the nature of that product...
post #38 of 49 Old 12-02-2008, 02:34 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

That's what I'm hoping for.

I remember a scene from some movie I was watching on the Bose and there was suppose to be a lightning crack and then an immediate roar of thunder. The little 2.5" speakers couldn't do both at the same time, so it compressed the sound and you hear it all in the middle. That's when I decided to toss them.

Has anybody head the Salk SongTower RT AND the Rocket 850's? Are they similar in sound quality or do they completely blow the 850s away?

I hear the Salk gets slightly better reviews, but I wouldn't get as much for the money if I went with them.

I owned the 850's. The Salks are in another league. Of course, in this case you get what you pay for. The 850's can pound it out but are not as lifelike as any Salk, especially when you add a ribbon tweeter. You'll get spoiled by the smoothness of ribbons if you try them. They're practically giving away Rockets right now so a good deal, but Jim does have some pre-built Songtowers without ribbon tweets for 1795 right now.
post #39 of 49 Old 12-02-2008, 02:36 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post

If you are worried about colors, have you taken a look at the KEFs at Onecall and Vanns? Or the Faux Black Cherry Swan Diva 6.1 at Ozhometheater?

I put some KEF iQ7's in as side surrounds yesterday and they are not bad in that role. But as a stereo speaker they are pretty bad. They image okay but the bass is mushy. Just a head's up if anyone was considering them.
post #40 of 49 Old 12-02-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

From what I have read about Salk's vs. Rocket's would not be enough to justify the difference in price for what you are getting with your rocket package.

Quote:

Is this the world of Hi-Fi I have just entered? Is the point of Hi-Fi to make things sound like I'm there?

Lol, I just had to point this out. Ei8htyfi5e, the other part of the world of Hi-Fi is diminishing returns! You keep paying exponentially more money to get small improvements, and it's up to you to determine if the improvement is worth the cost (just make sure you are getting more improvement with increased cost). I don't own, nor plan to own, either 850 or ST, but I'm currently upgrading from Strata Mini to HT3 (I will agree Salks overall sound better, but at higher price).

Quote:

Why don't you just get the pair of 850. The 5.1 you are looking at are sonically very similar. You risk less in shipping, and the 850 should give you an excellent feel for what the Rockets can do. In the past, I've had nothing but excellent experience and customer service from AV123 (though I have recently read some negative stuff - but mostly related to the subwoofer).

Good luck, and IMHO don't rush into this.
post #41 of 49 Old 12-02-2008, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
for a guy trying to step up from some bose speakers i'd say he is more than fine with the Rockets....Then once he gets a taste for good quality speakers, he can upgrade from there if he chooses. But i know for the money he is better off with the Rockets at this point in his audio endeavers...

at least IMO
post #42 of 49 Old 12-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD View Post

I put some KEF iQ7's in as side surrounds yesterday and they are not bad in that role. But as a stereo speaker they are pretty bad. They image okay but the bass is mushy. Just a head's up if anyone was considering them.

Thanks PAD. I actually just picked up a pair if iQ1's to use as surrounds with my SongTowers (until the day I can afford SongSurrounds ). My use is mostly surround music with the occassional move. Unfortunately, it may be at least two weeks before I have a chance hook them up and test. Please post back if you have any further impressions about them.
post #43 of 49 Old 12-03-2008, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD View Post

Would your opinion be different if they were being run as 2.1?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #44 of 49 Old 07-10-2009, 11:49 AM

So what speakers did you end up choosing?
post #45 of 49 Old 07-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpwill45 View Post

So what speakers did you end up choosing?

Yeah. Don't you love it when somebody starts a thread then abandons it and leaves us all in the lurch? And just a few weeks before the speakers were to be delivered. Or were they?

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #46 of 49 Old 07-10-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
listening to our representatives quibble on c-span makes me want to vote an emperor into power in order to clean the corruption out...and that is from a libertarian!

have you considered this little gem?

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/genera...?PId=273&MId=2

upgrade is:

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/genera...?PId=157&MId=2

it will do everything that you want.

as far as efficiency/spl, they will blow to dust all these "home" audio speakers.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #47 of 49 Old 07-10-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Those JBL's are out of his price range and I can think of cheaper alternatives that would not lack in performance in comparison.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
post #48 of 49 Old 07-10-2009, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You haven't tried klipsch' those sound pretty real.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #49 of 49 Old 07-10-2009, 10:53 PM

I love my Rockets but I definitely wouldn't describe them as forward sounding. Laid back or neutral is what they are most often labeled. Last summer I got tired of them and searched for something to replace my 450's. I bought Ascend Sierra 1's Paradigm 60's and Klipsch RF-80's, lived with all of them a week to determine which one I liked most. They were all great in their own way but I kept the Rockets. It should be noted that I am on the search again.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page