2.1 setup under 300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-30-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Audio Gurus,

I need advice on current speaker deals. I have shortlisted some of them for my new home theater system.

1. Polk Audio Monitor 40 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers $142 + Polk Audio CSi3 Center Channel Speaker $120 = $262
2. Klipsch Synergy Quintet III Home Theater Speaker System for $299
3. Polk Audio RM10 Speaker System for $204

I was also looking at Infinity Primus Series P162 (Ea) 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker but they are very pricy at $249. I will probably order Onkyo 706 with them. Now the subwoofer. I am thinking of SVS PB 10 but the idea of paying $70 shipping without listening to them is killing me. I was also thinking of getting their front 3 speakers but again I don't want to buy without listening as I may end up paying shipping both ways.

That's why I am trying Amazon. I heard Polk at Fry's and BestBuy and they were ok in front of BOSE bookshelves.

Please suggest 2.1 setup <$300 which I plan to extend next year.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-30-2008, 12:20 PM

There are several places online that have the P162 for $200 a pair with free shipping.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-30-2008, 01:24 PM

I am looking the same type of system myself. Due to the room i am in 5.1 is not currently an option so i am going with a 3.1 set up. I have selected to go with the speakers you listed in option 1. I have chosen a different center due to size restrictions in the cabinet it is going into and the overall price range i am looking for. I am also looking for a sub to go with it in the $100 range.

Here is the same setup i am looking to purchase soon.

1. onkyo 606 ($320)
2. Polk audio monitor 40's ($142) and CS1 center ($82) = $224 shipping not inlcluded.

I would suggest this setup versus a small surround sound package. This will allow you to buy towers or better fronts in the future and move the monitors to the rear when you are ready to upgrade.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-30-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDsteve View Post

There are several places online that have the P162 for $200 a pair with free shipping.

Wow....how is their sound quality? Can you please guide me to the websites?
post #5 of 10 Old 11-30-2008, 06:19 PM

If you are interested in the Infinity Primus speakers, I would hit Ebay and check out the Harman Audio store. Can save a ton of money by buying the factory "refurbs" direct from the manufacturer. You could even step up to the Beta series and go with a couple Beta 20s and a C360 and stay under your $300 budget.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-30-2008, 10:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa1981 View Post

Wow....how is their sound quality? Can you please guide me to the websites?

Sound quality is excellent. To read about Infinity's world-class engineering, check these white papers, especially this article.

Zardnok is correct about the ebay connection. I've done well buying Infinity's that way in the past. It seems like a pain, waiting on an auction, but then you can save some real money. Also look on craigslist. You might find some really well priced ones there (look for the old model numbers (Primus 150, Primus 160) as well as the new (Primus 152, Primus 162). Energy is also as serious speaker brand with solid engineering (PSB and Paradigm are good too).
post #7 of 10 Old 12-01-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardnok View Post

If you are interested in the Infinity Primus speakers, I would hit Ebay and check out the Harman Audio store. Can save a ton of money by buying the factory "refurbs" direct from the manufacturer. You could even step up to the Beta series and go with a couple Beta 20s and a C360 and stay under your $300 budget.

harman audio store is a great place to find a bargin and usually what your looking for
post #8 of 10 Old 12-01-2008, 08:10 AM

Looks like the places I saw the P162 a couple of days ago (Crutchfirld, Vanns) don't have them anymore. Amazon is now $250 for the P162.

Audioholics website has them for 2 bills. Some of the sites show the P162 with silver grills and others with black. I would hate to buy 5 speakers and have them look mismatched.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-18-2008, 10:47 PM

Hey, I was hoping someone could help me make a decision before the holidays. I posted this in the 2 channel section, but it doesn't seem to get as much traffic.

I'm trying to buy a family member a pair of speakers so that she can listen to music at a fairly loud level (she likes to crank the volume). The receiver she has isn't the greatest, but it's a Sony HTD-DW790 (which will soon be replaced by an older fisher amp she has lying around).

I've narrowed it down to the Insignia speakers from BB (NS-B2111) or a pair of Infinity Primus 152

I've been surprised by the insignia reviews, which is why they are in consideration. As with most things, the cheaper the better, so if the insignias are roughly on par or better then I'll choose those.

I'm confident I can get the Insignias for $70-80 (higher than I'd like to pay for these speakers considering their past prices, but w.e), or the Primus for $90-100. I do not know a lot about speakers to say which ones are the better buy, but I've heard great things about both sets.

My max is $100 total, so these are the best options I was able to find. Again, these are primarily for listening to music. I'm looking for the pair that won't crackle so much at higher volumes. Any help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-19-2008, 10:27 AM

Hmm, I'm leaning towards the Insignias. It looks like there is no restocking fee on them if they are not what I'm looking for at all. Although BB can be tricky.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page