Heavy speaker - How to mount? - AVS Forum
Speakers > Heavy speaker - How to mount?
saiko's Avatar saiko 01:45 PM 11-30-2008
Hi,

I am considering ordering the Infinity beta c250 center channel speaker. However, the speaker is quite heavy (16 lbs) and when I tried to find speaker mounts online, reviews point out that several of the mounts are rated incorrectly for weight and won't really hold up the heavy speakers.
Can someone please suggest a sturdy wall mount that will cost 50 bucks or less?
The speaker itself is @125 or so on amazon and so I feel I should not be spending a ton on a speaker mount.

Thanks

saiko

Zivman's Avatar Zivman 01:49 PM 11-30-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiko View Post

Hi,

I am considering ordering the Infinity beta c250 center channel speaker. However, the speaker is quite heavy (16 lbs) and when I tried to find speaker mounts online, reviews point out that several of the mounts are rated incorrectly for weight and won't really hold up the heavy speakers.
Can someone please suggest a sturdy wall mount that will cost 50 bucks or less?
The speaker itself is @125 or so on amazon and so I feel I should not be spending a ton on a speaker mount.

Thanks

saiko

I have these holding up 20# HTD level 3 book shelf speakers

not sure how it will work with the horizontal orientation, but they are cheap and can easily hold 16#
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli 02:46 PM 11-30-2008
How about a shelf??
saiko's Avatar saiko 02:55 PM 11-30-2008
Thanks , Zivman. Those are the first mounts I considered. HOwever, the customer reviews on that mount are enough to drive me away. People are having trouble mounting 10 pounders on that mount.

Paul, I thought of using a shelf but I already have the wall brackets etc where my existing center channel (a lame cambridge cube speaker) is. That space would look a little off hence I wanted to mount this speaker up there.
jakewash's Avatar jakewash 10:22 PM 11-30-2008
Full Metal Bracket, I have 3 of these and they are very strong. Only issue is to make sure you can find a stud to mount them into to hold up the weight, otherwise it may pull out of the wall.
Chadci's Avatar Chadci 05:22 AM 12-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivman View Post

I have these holding up 20# HTD level 3 book shelf speakers

not sure how it will work with the horizontal orientation, but they are cheap and can easily hold 16#

I needed to mount my center channel ( JBL EC35) From the ceiling for various reasons. I tried the mount listed above and it did not feel safe nor did it look safe. That half ball joint has to be in just perfectly and just testing it in my hands proved that with enough force it could easily seperate. I quickly changed the mount out and went with one of these

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I was able to bolt it to a ceiling joist and then into the speaker. It's pretty solid and I have no fear with it like this.
saiko's Avatar saiko 12:04 PM 12-01-2008
Thanks for your suggestions, JakeWash and Chadci. I am not sure about how the mounting holes are laid out on the back of the speakers. Chadci's suggestion shows a VESA pattern (for TVs I think).

Do all center channels follow some standard for mounting holes ? How can I know whether my speaker will "fit" a mount properly and that the holes will align? Sorry, I'm a newbie to this stuff.
Erik Tracy's Avatar Erik Tracy 01:57 PM 12-01-2008
I use the B-Tech BT-77 wall mount for my Polk RTiA3s which also weigh 16lbs.

As long as you have the mounts centered over a wall stud and use a long wood screw, these mounts should be fine.

Erik
tvdrew's Avatar tvdrew 02:08 PM 12-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post

As long as you have the mounts centered over a wall stud and use a long wood screw, these mounts should be fine.

I imagine this is pretty much always true--if you mount on a stud, you can pretty much hang any speaker. If you are hanging from sheetrock/wallboard, you're going to have severe limits.
Lemonade727's Avatar Lemonade727 02:18 PM 12-01-2008
I use the B-Tech BT15 for my center channel. It holds the weight well and the mount isn't obtrusive.

You can get it here or search elsewhere for it.
Erik Tracy's Avatar Erik Tracy 02:29 PM 12-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonade727 View Post

I use the B-Tech BT15 for my center channel. It holds the weight well and the mount isn't obtrusive.

You can get it here or search elsewhere for it.

Oops- my bad - I missed that the OP wanted to mount a center.

+1 on the B-Tech BT15 - I use this one as well.

Erik
jakewash's Avatar jakewash 03:01 PM 12-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiko View Post

Thanks for your suggestions, JakeWash and Chadci. I am not sure about how the mounting holes are laid out on the back of the speakers. Chadci's suggestion shows a VESA pattern (for TVs I think).

Do all center channels follow some standard for mounting holes ? How can I know whether my speaker will "fit" a mount properly and that the holes will align? Sorry, I'm a newbie to this stuff.

Unfortunately no, the way centers mount is up to each manufacturer, alot do not even have a system in mind for mounting. Axiom's FMB has a universal type of mounting system with varying spaced holes for screw and of course a center hole for their own speakers to mount to, as their speakers come with a threaded insert and bolt on the back making it very easy to mount their Bookshelf and center speakers.
saiko's Avatar saiko 06:50 PM 12-01-2008
Thanks, Lemonade and Eric.
In my case, the speaker will be above my 50" tv. It appears that the BT-15 brackets will not allow me to angle the center channel speaker down towards my seat/sofa. The speaker will be about 5 feet or so above my ear level and so I thought it might be important to be able to angle the speakers down. How important is directing the center channel towards the listener?

P.S: I just ordered the speaker from tigerdirect.com for 120 bucks shipped ! paid 2 bucks for shipping (cyber monday deal). Yay !

It seems to be much harder to figure out how to mount a speaker than to buy it :-)
fireman325's Avatar fireman325 06:59 PM 12-01-2008
Saiko I was in the exact same position you're in when I started my speaker upgrade. I ended up going the other way and mounting my TV on the wall so the center speaker could sit on top of my ET stand just beneath the TV. If you're interested in pursuing this option instead, you can get a great quality TV mount from monoprice.com for your 50" TV for less than $30. I would recommend staying away from their full-motion mounts. Stick with a flush or tilt mount and you'll have nothing to worry about. My TV is a 50" 107 lb plasma and the $30 mount it's on is rock-solid. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
saiko's Avatar saiko 11:03 AM 12-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

How about a shelf??

I ended up doing what Paul suggested yesterday. I got the speaker yesterday and it is VERY heavy. Also it has nothing in the back that would allow me to mount it. No mounting holes that I could see. I'll try and post a picture of my setup soon. Waiting for my blu-ray player to arrive today.

On a side note, the Infinity c250 is awesome. I truly didn't know what I was missing till I unplugged my old cambridge soundworks cube thingy and plugged in this bad boy. What a difference !
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 11:13 AM 12-11-2008
Use a small CRT TV mount. They will hold your 16lb center easily as they can handle up to 60lbs. Comes with a mounting strap too.
http://www.vanptc.com/products16-17-4/19to21medium

http://www.buy.com/prod/vantage-poin.../90102436.html

http://www.fadfusion.com/selection.p...er=20041201060
Up
Mobile  Desktop