Advise: About to take plunge AV123 Rocket, Onkyo TX-SR806 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 12-01-2008, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
indiaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Advise sought from all audiophiles out there. I am about to commit myself to a AV123 Rocket system (RS850, RSC200, RS450) and Onkyo TX-SR806. Main usage would be watching movies on my PS3 and HD content on cable. What are the opinions?

Would an additional sub is recommended, if yes, how is Klipsch Synergy Series Sub-12?
indiaus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 PM
 
floridapoolboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: florida
Posts: 3,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm using the 850s and Bigfoot, they are terrific speakers. I wouldn't go with a Klipsch sub, however. Try the MFW, the Outlaw LFM-1EX, or check out Hsu and SVS.
floridapoolboy is offline  
post #3 of 35 Old 12-01-2008, 09:30 PM
 
dan711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: texas
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own Rockets as well. I second the use of a sub with your setup. I have the mfw-15. No comment on the sr806. I have never owned an Onkyo. I have used Pioneer Elite, Yamaha, and NAD receivers to power the Rockets. The Pio. and Nad sounded the best to me.
dan711 is offline  
post #4 of 35 Old 12-01-2008, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
calnbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Agreed with floridapoolboy. Go with a different subwoofer. I would also go with the Onkyo 805 as well if it saves money.
calnbs is offline  
post #5 of 35 Old 12-01-2008, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
indiaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the inputs. Want to buy a Onkyo 805 but it seems like hard to get. Any advise on where to find one?
indiaus is offline  
post #6 of 35 Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
calnbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Shoponkyo.com or amazon.com. Watch for deals. Prices just went up. Its usually $600 or less.
calnbs is offline  
post #7 of 35 Old 12-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Member
 
malaplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Accessories4less still has the factory refurbed 805's with warranty for around $550.

Questions for the guys in this thread, does your recommendation for sub change if you primarily listen to music over movies with big thunderous crashes? Would you still be recommending the Outlaw or Hsu subs?
malaplace is offline  
post #8 of 35 Old 12-02-2008, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
indiaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How is the general opinion about this configuration? Is there an alternative configuration which you guys highly recommend, budget is around 2k.
indiaus is offline  
post #9 of 35 Old 12-02-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
calnbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Rocket system is a very good for the price you are paying. The Rocket 850 alone once sold for the same price as this whole package now. Another favorite deal of mine for under $2K is the Swan Diva 6.1 at ozhometheater and the KEFs on sale at Vanns and Onecall. But overall, Rockets is my choice.
calnbs is offline  
post #10 of 35 Old 12-02-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stephen Hopkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Douglasville, GA
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Best deal on the SR805 is from accessories4less.com through eBay using the live.com 30% cash-back promo... ends up being $385 + SH after cash-back (takes 60 days)... otherwise, same price and warranty as directly from the accessories4less.com website before the 30% cash-back.

Stephen Hopkins is offline  
post #11 of 35 Old 12-02-2008, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzy_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Just make sure you understand before buying when the Rockets will be delivered and how firm that is. That way there won't be surprises. From my quick look (which may be wrong), some of the stuff was for containers due in Jan. and Feb., and of course that leaves potential for delays. So it works best if you know what the expected time frame is, and can be flexible.
buzzy_ is offline  
post #12 of 35 Old 12-02-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
calnbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

Just make sure you understand before buying when the Rockets will be delivered and how firm that is. That way there won't be surprises. From my quick look (which may be wrong), some of the stuff was for containers due in Jan. and Feb., and of course that leaves potential for delays. So it works best if you know what the expected time frame is, and can be flexible.

Completely agreed with this statemant. Know exactly what you are getting into. Don't expect a 15 day delivery time. And S***T happens sometimes. But with that said, it was worth the wait for me.
calnbs is offline  
post #13 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
indiaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, I know the delays. Just keeping my fingers crossed, current estimate is mid jan.
indiaus is offline  
post #14 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Member
 
Stumped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiaus View Post

Advise sought from all audiophiles out there. I am about to commit myself to a AV123 Rocket system (RS850, RSC200, RS450) and Onkyo TX-SR806. Main usage would be watching movies on my PS3 and HD content on cable. What are the opinions?

Would an additional sub is recommended, if yes, how is Klipsch Synergy Series Sub-12?

Due to lack of support, I would not recommend AV123. Others might have better luck with them, but I have had nothing but problems. I'm sure it varies form person to person but since you asked for opinions I thought I would offer mine....avoid AV123.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Stumped is offline  
post #15 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stephen Hopkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Douglasville, GA
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post

Due to lack of support, I would not recommend AV123. Others might have better luck with them, but I have had nothing but problems. I'm sure it varies form person to person but since you asked for opinions I thought I would offer mine....avoid AV123.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

This is one of the very few comments I've ever heard with complaints about AV123's customer support. I know they've had some supply chain issues as they've grown quickly, but I'm still surprised to hear this. Any more info to share on your situation and their response?

Stephen Hopkins is offline  
post #16 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Member
 
Stumped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

This is one of the very few comments I've ever heard with complaints about AV123's customer support. I know they've had some supply chain issues as they've grown quickly, but I'm still surprised to hear this. Any more info to share on your situation and their response?


Honestly, I've been a little surprised too. I bought the ELT package in which the center speaker is bad. I also bought a MFW-15 in which the LFE jack is bad. I've been trying to get someone to even respond to me and I've had no luck. I bought everything on the 18th of November and my first email to them was a few days after that.

I've gotten one response and that was from Mark (repair Mark) telling me to just try and tighten the screws on the MFW-15. And that was it, that was the content of his email and he is the only one who's bothered to contact me at all. Really Really bad support thus far, so of course if someone asks about them I can't recommend them.
Stumped is offline  
post #17 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stephen Hopkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Douglasville, GA
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sounds like their customer support may be strained based on their rapid growth as well... not sure it would keep me from buying from them, but I would be rabid about getting any problem rectified quickly. Have you tried contacting them by phone? Have you posted on the AV123 forum?

Stephen Hopkins is offline  
post #18 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Member
 
Stumped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

Sounds like their customer support may be strained based on their rapid growth as well... not sure it would keep me from buying from them, but I would be rabid about getting any problem rectified quickly. Have you tried contacting them by phone? Have you posted on the AV123 forum?

I've called them numerous times and sent numerous emails. I only live about an hour (give or take) from them so in my initial emails I even said I could just drive the two problem pieces up for repair, to which I got no reply. Due to their lack of support my repair attitude has shifted to a refund attitude and of course still no communication from them. Since I can't seem to even get an RMA from them I fear I'm going to have to just drive up there, drop the speakers off and dispute the charge with my credit card company. I wouldn't wish this headache on anyone, which is why I have problems recommending them.
Stumped is offline  
post #19 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stephen Hopkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Douglasville, GA
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If I were that close I'd definitely drive up and drop in... I'd try to be as cordial as possible and see if that got a positive outcome... if not, then I'd probably get more aggressive, but I can't imagine they'd refuse a replacement or refund in person to a vocal AVS poster.

Stephen Hopkins is offline  
post #20 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Member
 
Stumped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

If I were that close I'd definitely drive up and drop in... I'd try to be as cordial as possible and see if that got a positive outcome... if not, then I'd probably get more aggressive, but I can't imagine they'd refuse a replacement or refund in person to a vocal AVS poster.

I've been nice in all of my emails and in all of the phone messages I've left. I actually didn't even like the idea of sharing my problems on a public forum like this, because I kind of feel bad. But like I said, I would hate to see someone else run into these kind of problems, especially if they live out of state--that would just add to the headache I'm sure.

I am taking your advice though, on Monday I am loading everything up and driving up. Honestly, I am amazed that any company wouldn't respond when their customer offers to drive the problem speakers back up to get them repaired (which is what I did in my initial emails). I wasn't even asking for a replacement (even though the speakers were about....3 days old at this point) just a repair, but still no response. Disheartening.
Stumped is offline  
post #21 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stephen Hopkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Douglasville, GA
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have to think that things are growth related... their website was down for a few days during a re-launch, there are some backorders related to high demand, they've expanded every line they offer and added more lines (as well as electronics)... there may even be some internal restructuring we don't know about. I wonder if personnel is running thin or something along those lines. I'd say when you show up at their door they'll find a way to make things right.

Stephen Hopkins is offline  
post #22 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Member
 
Stumped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

I have to think that things are growth related... their website was down for a few days during a re-launch, there are some backorders related to high demand, they've expanded every line they offer and added more lines (as well as electronics)... there may even be some internal restructuring we don't know about. I wonder if personnel is running thin or something along those lines. I'd say when you show up at their door they'll find a way to make things right.

Honestly, I would think (and hope) that you're right. I know other people have had much luck and love for AV123. I don't question or deny their success with them, I think I've just been unlucky (nothing new to my life) .
Stumped is offline  
post #23 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
penngray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:


Honestly, I would think (and hope) that you're right. I know other people have had much luck and love for AV123. I don't question or deny their success with them, I think I've just been unlucky (nothing new to my life


If you do ever get a hold of Mark, please give him all the details because he needs to know when service is bad.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
penngray is offline  
post #24 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Member
 
Stumped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

If you do ever get a hold of Mark, please give him all the details because he needs to know when service is bad.

Will do! Thanks again for the suggestions.
Stumped is offline  
post #25 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Member
 
Stumped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just thought I would update this in fairness to AV123. I just got off of the phone with Mark J. and he explained that they have had some issues with their voice/email systems. He was quite nice and very helpful, offering to replace or repair both bad pieces. I don't feel as though I "bashed" AV123 in any of my posts, but regardless I thought it only fair to them to share that I was finally contacted. Also, thanks to everyone for their thoughts and suggestions, it is appreciated!
Stumped is offline  
post #26 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Newbie
 
hoptown101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hopkinsville, Ky
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

Best deal on the SR805 is from accessories4less.com through eBay using the live.com 30% cash-back promo... ends up being $385 + SH after cash-back (takes 60 days)... otherwise, same price and warranty as directly from the accessories4less.com website before the 30% cash-back.

how do you qualify for the 30% back. I looked around but could not find anything that said anything about that.
hoptown101 is offline  
post #27 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Stephen Hopkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Douglasville, GA
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
We really need a sticky on this...

It's back down to 20% now, max $200, but basically you go to live.com, search "PS3", click the first eBay link, then search for whatever else you're looking for (SR805 in this case, make note of the red/green Microsoft Cash Back logo at the top of the screen), buy with BUY-IT-NOW, pay with PAYPAL, and in 60 days the cash back will show up in your PAYPAL account kinda like a rebate.

Stephen Hopkins is offline  
post #28 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Senior Member
 
skeeter99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post

Just thought I would update this in fairness to AV123. I just got off of the phone with Mark J. and he explained that they have had some issues with their voice/email systems. He was quite nice and very helpful, offering to replace or repair both bad pieces. I don't feel as though I "bashed" AV123 in any of my posts, but regardless I thought it only fair to them to share that I was finally contacted. Also, thanks to everyone for their thoughts and suggestions, it is appreciated!

I'm glad you got a hold of Mark. He can be a bit difficult to get a hold of sometimes and was going to be your ambassador but it looks like you're being taken care of. I know you'll get everything taken care of. Sorry you had any issues to begin with

Scott
skeeter99 is offline  
post #29 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Member
 
Stumped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post

I'm glad you got a hold of Mark. He can be a bit difficult to get a hold of sometimes and was going to be your ambassador but it looks like you're being taken care of. I know you'll get everything taken care of. Sorry you had any issues to begin with

Scott

Thanks, I feel much better after speaking to him and am confident that everything will be taken care of. Thanks again and all the best!
Stumped is offline  
post #30 of 35 Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Newbie
 
hoptown101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hopkinsville, Ky
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

We really need a sticky on this...

It's back down to 20% now, max $200, but basically you go to live.com, search "PS3", click the first eBay link, then search for whatever else you're looking for (SR805 in this case, make note of the red/green Microsoft Cash Back logo at the top of the screen), buy with BUY-IT-NOW, pay with PAYPAL, and in 60 days the cash back will show up in your PAYPAL account kinda like a rebate.

thank you..worked fine
hoptown101 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off