How should I ugrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-08-2008, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok I currently have the KEF 3005 SE system. However, after visiting a Magnolia showroom at Best Buy tonight, I realized I want more...especially from my subwoofer. They were playing Iron Man and it was so impressive that I decided to upgrade my system. (I tried to look at the brand of the sub and I think it was Fresco.)

I've been reading about all the iQ's that Kef has to offer. The XQ's are out of my price range. But I've been reading about so many possible combinations. The overall message I've gotten is that the front 3 speakers are the most important. Therefore I plan to use my 3005 speakers as surround speakers and get 3 brand new speakers up front.

But will all the IQ's be a definite upgrade from the 3005 speakers? I want a significant difference. My current possible combinations are listed below and I was wondering which one is best...

1.) iQ1 - iQ6C
2.) iQ5 - iQ6C
3.) iQ7 - iQ6C
4.) iQ9 - iQ6C

Is there a better combo than the one's above? My room is about 33' x 24' x 12'. I have hard wood floors and my couch is about 10 feet from the TV, which means there is about 23' of space behind me. So I need a system that will fill the room. I think the 3005 SE are a little weak for my room.

The sub is another issue. Does KEF have good subs or should I go with another brand? I want more rumble for my movies.

I plan to spend about $1000-1200 for the front 3 speakers and another $600-800 for the sub, so about $2000 in all. Once again, I plan to use m 3005 as the surround speakers. I'm hoping the iQ's will be a significant upgrade from the 3005 set. If not, then can someone make suggestion? The speakers will be mainly used for blu ray movies and not music. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-08-2008, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post

I plan to spend $600-800 for the sub

Epik Knight or Caliber
SVS SB12-Plus or PB12-NSD/2
HSU VTF-3 MK3
eD A5 - 350 or A7S - 450
AV123 MFW-15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-08-2008, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja View Post

Epik Knight or Caliber
SVS SB12-Plus or PB12-NSD/2
HSU VTF-3 MK3
eD A5 - 350 or A7S - 450
AV123 MFW-15

+1 on the sub recommendations. Winners all.

You will need big speakers to fill that room. I can see why you are impressed with the setup Magnolia has. Remember they have set up a sound room that is ideal for listening. Taking home what sounds good there won't guarantee similar results at home. In fact, I'd bet on it based on your description.
You may need to concentrate some on the acoustics of such a large room. You may be able to significantly improve your current setup, and any subsequent gear will also benefit. Look to spend some of your budget on improving the acoustics of the room.

Some acoustic panels behind you would help. A large throw rug in front of you would help also.
You didn't mention the ceiling height.

Larger speakers and more power may only serve to make an acoustically challenged room worse. You'll get more 'loud' but it may be worse than what you have now. This is usually the case.

Perhaps you could post a few pictures or a drawing of the listening space.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #4 of 4 Old 12-08-2008, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

+1 on the sub recommendations. Winners all.

You will need big speakers to fill that room. I can see why you are impressed with the setup Magnolia has. Remember they have set up a sound room that is ideal for listening. Taking home what sounds good there won't guarantee similar results at home. In fact, I'd bet on it based on your description.
You may need to concentrate some on the acoustics of such a large room. You may be able to significantly improve your current setup, and any subsequent gear will also benefit. Look to spend some of your budget on improving the acoustics of the room.

Some acoustic panels behind you would help. A large throw rug in front of you would help also.
You didn't mention the ceiling height.

Larger speakers and more power may only serve to make an acoustically challenged room worse. You'll get more 'loud' but it may be worse than what you have now. This is usually the case.

Perhaps you could post a few pictures or a drawing of the listening space.

My ceiling height is about 12 feet. I know my room is big and acoustically challenged. I just ordered a SVS PB 13 Ultra subwoofer. Hopefully I'll hear the rumble that I'm looking for. The only thing I've done acoustically is put a blanket on top of my coffee table that's in front of the TV. I will eventually upgrade from my KEF 3005 speakers, or use two as my surrounds and get a whole new soundstage to go with my PB 13. Any suggestions?

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page