Bose Companion 3 Series II: Best bang for your my buck? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 12-12-2008, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, so I KNOW there are lots of people who say: Bose is a rip-off, and while it may produce good sound, it is overpriced. But is it true for the Bose Companion 3 Series II system? I would be paying $249.99 for 2 speakers and a subwoofer.

With that said, I don't want to be a sucker. At the very least, I'd like to make an educated purchasing decision. On the other hand, I really am impressed by how Bose sounds. The sound is lush, sharp, and the bass is crisp and not overwhelming.

So in this case, can we reasonably say that for $250, the Bose Companion 3 Series II system is the best bang for your buck? Or am I just rationalizing an expensive purchase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-12-2008, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by joba2mo View Post

Okay, so I KNOW there are lots of people who say: Bose is a rip-off, and while it may produce good sound, it is overpriced. But is it true for the Bose Companion 3 Series II system? I would be paying $249.99 for 2 speakers and a subwoofer.

With that said, I don't want to be a sucker. At the very least, I'd like to make an educated purchasing decision. On the other hand, I really am impressed by how Bose sounds. The sound is lush, sharp, and the bass is crisp and not overwhelming.

So in this case, can we reasonably say that for $250, the Bose Companion 3 Series II system is the best bang for your buck? Or am I just rationalizing an expensive purchase?

You are partially right. Bose is overpriced. Sound good? That is pure conjecture on your part. And Bose.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

http://ckayfei.net/audio/bs.html

You would do better to buy a pair of used or refurbished bookshelf speakers and a used sub. Just about anything will sound better than the Bose unless your ears are made of tin.

A pair of Infinity Beta 20 speakers without the sub will outdo the Bose with a sub, as long as you have decent amplification. You'll have enough money to buy a new or used - inexpensive 8-10" sub that will sound much better.

What do you have for a receiver?

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 32 Old 12-12-2008, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
There are better 2.1 systems available for less. Look at the Logitech Z-2300 or the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #4 of 32 Old 12-12-2008, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Even klipsch promedia is better than bose? o_O
post #5 of 32 Old 12-13-2008, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

I have an old Kenwood for a receiver. My brother actually has 2 Polk bookshelf speakers that sound good, but I was thinking that I would need to buy a center channel because it doesnt handle the highs very well. And then I would need to buy a sub.

I guess part of the allure of Bose is that I can just buy it in a box and bring it home. And now that I am looking more closely at the Bose Companion 3 Series II.

My ears are not made out of tin. I think Bose, as I hear them in the store, sounds terrific. Considering how small my room is, having BIG sound doesn't sound well because the speakers are so close to me.

I don't like the feeling of knowing where the sound is coming from, and that is a big selling point for me. When I had just the 2 Polk bookshelf speakers, the sound felt very 1 dimensional and generally while solid, it was blah. The sound from Bose, while unique, is very dynamic.

I don't know what to do. Maybe I should spend more money and get the Bose Companion 5 for $400.

Is it safe to shop by brand alone if I decide to go the route of HTIB? And any suggessions? Again, my room is small and I really have no place to put any rear speakers so a 2.1 speaker application is very ideal for me.
post #6 of 32 Old 12-13-2008, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Knucklehead, thank you for the links. They were informative.

But I think what some full blown, all out anti-Bose people miss is the big picture. You can have all the charts and graphs and breakdown analysis that shows Bose is statistically not as beefy as other systems, but for Bose, I think we can all agree that the sum is greater than its individual parts. And that's where I feel anti-Bose people are missing the big picture.

The first link builds an irrelevant case. It's not about the cold hard numbers. It's about the an overall very positive listening experience.
post #7 of 32 Old 12-13-2008, 01:06 AM

I'm probably responding in lieu of Knucks, because I doubt he's gonna bother.

Listen, I'm not an audiophile by any means. I don't know jack about jacks. I can't offer you any sound advice. Just corny jokes. But I do know one thing. After reading that very first link he provided, the informative one you admitted. Well. You're missing the point completely. There is no big picture. The writer of the article is anti-bose, yes. But he's anti-bose for a reason. The charts and graphs didn't necessarily show that Bose is not as "beefy" as other systems, but simply that bose SUCKS compared to other systems. It flat out illustrates how that Bose system purposely left out a few hundred frequencies of the audio spectrum. You got one thing right though. The sum is greater than its parts. Sum equaling the EXPENSIVE price you pay for the CHEAP parts that Bose makes. Hello. If you like throwing away your money for a name, then sure. Disregard Knucklehead's advice, the article, and every piece of advice you will receive on this forum. If, however, you appreciate the help and expertise that other people are trying to offer you, then listen to him. Re-read the article, and quit FORCING yourself to love Bose. I think if you're able to do that, then you'll find that there is no big picture with Bose.

There's just one picture, and one answer to your original question (which was actually included in the first link's article):

NO Bose system is a "bang for your buck" system. Look elsewhere. Period.
post #8 of 32 Old 12-13-2008, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Buy what you want, your money and your ears.
post #9 of 32 Old 12-13-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas View Post

Buy what you want, your money and your ears.

+1
Agreed.

While I'm not 'anti-Bose' I know for certain there are better solutions for the money. Take a good hard look at what Bose is offering for $299. Basically they are no better than what is found in a decent 2.1 powered computer speaker setup that can duplicate the Bose sound for a hundred or so less. In essence you are buying a pair of $35 paper cone speakers and a $75 (if that) sub. Buy a good 2.1 computer speaker setup and save your money for something else.
Take a look at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120

Litterally for a few dollars more you can get this Logitech setup. Take a look at the reviews on that same page.

You sound as if you are set on buying the bose. Go ahead. It matters little to any of us from whom you've asked these questions and received honest answers, but you should ask yourself why so many of us try to steer people away from the brand in the first place. Can't be speaking from experience, could we? Yes, I am a former Bose owner. I bought a Wave Radio about 12 years or so ago, used, from a buddy needing some cash. My daughters $99 boom box sounded about the same as this then $400 'radio'. My daughters boom box could play CDs, my Bose radio could not. I paid $200 for it and sold it on ebay for $275 after making that comparison.

People in these forums have been where you are, looking for 'the best bang for the buck' as you put it. We've been all over the place looking and listening and most of us, including me, have friends and relatives who have bought Bose.

We know what Bose sounds like compared to what else is available for the same or less $'s.

So, welcome to AVS forums.

Its your money. Spend it how ever you will.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #10 of 32 Old 12-13-2008, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
joba2mo -- Bose sells speakers because they have perfected the art of psychoacoustic legerdemain. They have their demos set up to fool you into hearing what sounds like a "good" system. It's actually missing a whole lot of the audio spectrum. It sounds good, because you are being fooled into thinking that you are hearing accurate sound, but you are not. Their demonstrations are like a very good magic show (with excellent magicians).

I attended a full-blown 5.1 channel demonstration for one of their top-of-the-line systems out of curiosity. It sounded really nice. After I left the demo room and thought about what I had heard, I relaized the sham. They used source material that was very "flashy" and I realized that the material had very little of the lower-mid range sounds, and no low bass sound at all below 40-50Hz.

Both of the systems that Buckeye911 mentioned (the Logitech Z-2300 and the Klipsch Promedia 2.1) are just under $150, MSRP and will blow the Bose Companion 3 Series II speakers out of the water, in a small room. Oh, and both of these also include the amplifiers, so all you need is the source for the audio/video.

BTW, the Logitech Z2300 also has THX certification, which says that it will perform as advertised.

If you really want to be impressed, get the new Logitech Z5500 5.1 channel system for just under $400, MSRP (amplifiers included). It will make the Bose top-of-the-line theater system (for over $1500) absolutely sound sick. It's also THX certified, BTW.

Like Knucklehead90 said, it's your money and your choice. We're just trying to keep you from making a big mistake (especially if you care about audio quality).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #11 of 32 Old 12-13-2008, 09:47 PM

Like everyone else is saying it's your money; your ears. With that said take no shame in buying used speakers online. Make sure you at least listen to them before you buy but you can find some really good speakers for cheap and with your price range (under $300) you might be able to find speakers that were bought new for around $600-$800. I just recently spent $700 on a full 5.1 used speaker system. Bought everything used.. If I would have bought new it would have came out to be.. $1400. See my point??

My father was running a very expensive brand new Bose setup at his house and once he heard my speakers he sold his and is having me buy all of his speakers for him.. Even my 85 year old grandfather with horrible hearing could hear a difference between the two setups. Thats enough said for me.
post #12 of 32 Old 12-13-2008, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Knucklehead, thank you for the links. They were informative.

But I think what some full blown, all out anti-Bose people miss is the big picture. You can have all the charts and graphs and breakdown analysis that shows Bose is statistically not as beefy as other systems, but for Bose, I think we can all agree that the sum is greater than its individual parts. And that's where I feel anti-Bose people are missing the big picture.

The first link builds an irrelevant case. It's not about the cold hard numbers. It's about the an overall very positive listening experience.

I think you're missing the big picture.

The first link is giving reasons why you should not buy Bose
Some of the reasons:
- Bose demo stations and the dealer network set up to demo Bose have rigged setups designed to sound impressive.
- the parts used are inferior to other manufacturers
- Bose eschews scientifically verifiable specs that their systems perform well. When actual Bose performance is put up in this scrutiny, they fail (missing major chunks in the middle of thel frequency spectrum)

One thing I should mention is that I've always given Bose the benefit of the doubt. I've had cars with OEM Bose systems, and when my wife is shopping for shoes, I used to trek into the Bose mall store and give their systems a chance, listening to whatever they want to show me. In the end, they are a disappointment, and that's even after I wanted to like it. For instance, I was on a vacation trip and my portable earphones broke (decent ones that cost me $70) so I wanted to buy some new ones for my return trip home. The nearest store was a Best Buy and they had a great sale on the new model Bose In Ear earphones for $90, so I bought it thinking how bad it could be. I didn't like the sound one bit, the sound was very muddy, very much colored in a way that emphasized bass over all else. Terrible. I returned it. My Bose car audio systems, all three of them (I bought the loaded models, and Bose "upgrade" systems were part of the package. They were unimpressive.

I have come to the conclusion that few Bose products actually sound good and that's exactly because Bose goes out of their way to equalize and process the sound in a way that sounds initially impressive, but in reality, is not accurate. That's with my own ears comparing Bose stuff to many other brands on the market. Either the Bose stuff just sounds wrong, or it sounds at best ok, but is severely overpriced.

For home computer speakers, you are not going to get great sound out of anything that costs $100-200, but I do agree that some stuff from Creative, Logitech, and Klipsch are better bets for your money. Sure, on the grand scale of things, they aren't great either but there is no reason to spend more unless you are really in love with the looks or just "having a Bose". Recently I bought a Mac laptop, and they have a great deal (for an extra $100, you can add Bose Companion III Series II, and an Aiport express, essential you were getting the speakers for free since an Airport Express normally costs $100 here). I didn't take it, because frankly I'd rather stick with my $60 Creative T20 speakers with a $100 generic HTIB sub instead which I think sounds better for less money).

So you are certainly free to buy whatever you want, so don't let us stop you if you really feel like they sound that great and have the features you are looking for. But if you come here looking for advice and the advice says don't buy it, but you are still adamant they are great, then you really didn't want our advice to begin with.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #13 of 32 Old 12-13-2008, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

But if you come here looking for advice and the advice says don't buy it, but you are still adamant they are great, then you really didn't want our advice to begin with.

I think you win the cupe doll warp!

joba - if you like them, get them. Hell, upgrade to the $400 if that floats your boat. Personally, I don't care, I don't have to hear them...... uh.......er.......except for the Bose in my truck (came with it..honest ) and the one thing I really like (and I'm serious btw) about listening to a CD in my truck is how much better it sounds when listening on any of my systems at home.

But hey, that's just me. I'm still hoping someone will come along and steal my speakers so I can get some real ones.... but like that Seinfeld episode, I just say 'Ok, leaving my truck now, unlocked, no alarm, nice BOSE system inside, I hope no one takes it' and sure enough, no one ever does

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #14 of 32 Old 12-13-2008, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Bose is crap. Sorry but if you dont want the truth from people who know then dont come to the most knowledgable AV forum in the world. Also, you already have 2 threads on the same subject. Are you going to just have at this until someone tells you want you want to hear like "Bose is great - go for it". If you want a name get the Bose. If you love it buy it.

And as far as the "anti-bose crowd missing the big picture" No, that is not the case. There are posters here who have more experience in this hobby than you can possibly imagine. On top of that - no bias. So, if posters are telling you to avoid the Bose garbage I dont know why someone like you who is obviously a complete rookie is telling us that we are missing anything.

Bose is not totally useless as they make convenient and asthetically appeaking systems which are factors that can be greatly valued over performance. But you are a Bose's dream -the customer they love. You actually mentioned "buying for brand?" That right there is the problem.

Spend more time reading this forum before you do anything else. Like others have said, buy what you WANT but you are here for a reason so I assume its not to just vent. Sometimes Bose is just better than TV speakers and that is enough for many people.
post #15 of 32 Old 12-14-2008, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

I had another thread similar to this, but to all:

I've decided to buy some RCA jack converters and some speaker stands and use my existing Polk + a 2.1 Altec Lansing system.

I'm pretty happy with it. I only spent $70 for the speakers stands and RCA splitter cords.
post #16 of 32 Old 12-14-2008, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Let me just say that the speakers stands were a great buy. They sounded pretty crappy when I had them on the floor, but I got a set of 30" stands, and they're slightly above my ear level. And when I turn them inward and point it at my chair, it's awesome.
post #17 of 32 Old 12-14-2008, 12:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Ostensibly based on the marketing literature you read immediately before listening. Hope you're planning to take those brochures home and study them each evening before firing up the system. We'd hate for you to discover that, though emperor, you have no clothes.
post #18 of 32 Old 12-14-2008, 12:42 PM

I think this is an interesting conversation. Is one product a company produces enough to write off every product they produce? No, look at any car manufacturer sometimes you have hits sometimes misses.

1. Yes Bose is expensive, but you don't consider their speakers without knowing that.
2. This set is not going to win a who can be the loudest contests, but who cares?
3. It is very accurate to my ears, and no this is not my first set of speakers, I have compared directly with my Klipsch's and many of my other speaker setups.
4. They are very favorable compared directly to a Klipsch Promedia 2.1, I think that says a lot.
5. I understand the problem many people have with Bose home theater setups vs. other options but this is not a home theater setup its a 2.1 multimedia setup.
6. One of the best things the Bose does that most other systems can't; is play music at low volumes across the spectrum. My Klipsch needs to be halfway to full volume to get the full sound spectrum out.

I encourage people to try for themselves, but to flat say a product is bad based on what someone else says, based on a completely different product line is stupid.

The engineering compared to say Klipsch Promedia 2.1's is vastly superior, ask anyone with a Klipsch that had to resolder their DIN's or buy a new control pre-amp.
post #19 of 32 Old 12-14-2008, 12:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisnox View Post

I think this is an interesting conversation. Is one product a company produces enough to write off every product they produce? No, look at any car manufacturer sometimes you have hits sometimes misses.

1. Yes Bose is expensive, but you don't consider their speakers without knowing that.
2. This set is not going to win a who can be the loudest contests, but who cares?
3. It is very accurate to my ears, and no this is not my first set of speakers, I have compared directly with my Klipsch's and many of my other speaker setups.
4. They are very favorable compared directly to a Klipsch Promedia 2.1, I think that says a lot.
5. I understand the problem many people have with Bose home theater setups vs. other options but this is not a home theater setup its a 2.1 multimedia setup.
6. One of the best things the Bose does that most other systems can't; is play music at low volumes across the spectrum. My Klipsch needs to be halfway to full volume to get the full sound spectrum out.

I encourage people to try for themselves, but to flat say a product is bad based on what someone else says, based on a completely different product line is stupid.

The engineering compared to say Klipsch Promedia 2.1's is vastly superior, ask anyone with a Klipsch that had to resolder their DIN's or buy a new control pre-amp.

I've listened to the Companion 3, and they're not that great. Even in-store, you can tell that the bass doesn't go particularly deep and that voices tend to get "lost" in the sound. My Monsoon computer system (MM-1000) cost $150 when I got them six years ago, and sound significantly more balanced - and have since been replaced by a pair of B&Ws.

There are a lot of nearfield options for $250-300. Best bet is to bring in your own CD/iPod to see how they sound, and not rely on the demo material.
post #20 of 32 Old 12-14-2008, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The reason I think Bose is so bad is because of the way it's marketed. It's marketed as a high-end system with a high-end price tag. The problem is, it simply isn't a high-end system. If a complete Bose system was marketed as what is - a feature-limited, entry-level HTiB system - for about $200 then I might think it was something worthwhile to look at for someone on a budget.

Steve

post #21 of 32 Old 12-14-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bose is bad because its low quality and does not sound good. To make matters worse its very expensive. None of this is disputable. If any halfhearted comparison is done and if there is any quest for HQ sound reproduction and value counts then Bose would probably be at the bottom of eveyones list who was not interested in asthetics or a brand name is main purchasing factors.

Fortunately for Bose most consumers dont know or care and asthestics and brand are huge factors.

BUT! If you are on this forum you must be interested in more than brand and asthetics.
post #22 of 32 Old 12-14-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, from personal experience. I've owned a Bose Wave radio, you know the one. The one Bose claims 'sounds like a $3000 system'. This was in 1997-98.

The main reason I bought it, second hand, is a buddy of mine was tight for cash and wanted to sell me a 'radio' his parents had given him as a gift. I gave him $200 for it based on my research on ebay showed it to be worth $225-280.

I didn't pay much attention to it for some time, letting my son use it in his room. I've always had a good sound system and wasn't about to use a mere 'radio'.

Well, after getting my son a boom box for Christmas I had the wave radio in the living room. My daugher commented that she thought her boom box sounded better than the Bose. I had her do a 'shootout' between the two, convinced that could not be the case. Well, her $99 boom box didn't beat the Wave Radio, but it didn't lose to it either.

With an admittedly non-scientific test, I had both my kids listening to one or the other without them knowing which was playing at any particular time. Neither could tell which one was playing, hitting fairly close to 50%, what you'd expect in a coin toss sampling, statistically speaking. My son's boom box had very low bass and could be told apart from either of the other two.

I sold the Wave Radio to someone on ebay for $275 a few weeks later. That was my first and last experience with Bose products. I remain unimpressed by their marketing or products. And yes, I've heard the so-called magical 2.1 that sounds like 5.1.

Bose sets up some very elaborate testing areas designed to make the most of what they are marketing. No other company makes demands of the retailer like Bose does. The retailers comply because the profit margins on Bose products are typically higher than on other mass marketed products. So, sure, they sound good when you hear them in the stores. But try to get your cd into the player to audition the Bose stuff. Chances are you will fail. Listen carefully to the taylored sounds you hear. No real high notes, no lows below 150hz.

The Bose sound good in the environment in which you hear them in the stores. They fail miserably when you get them home and expect that low rumbling bass and piercing highs. They are just not going to give you full audio spectrum. Not even for the $s they are asking for the latest Accoustimass reincarnation.

All this is not to say Bose does not have a marketable product, they do as evidenced by how many people buy their products. Just that these products are overpriced and sold to an uninformed buyer. When you hear, in radio and tv ads, that they have the latest greatest sounds, well, as we all know, if you've heard it on tv or read it in the paper, it just has to be true, right?

So, when you come into thes forums and attempt to defend a product, does not matter what that product is, it had better give value for the money. Bose does not give value for their product. They are one of the best when it comes to marketing hype.

Bottom line is this: Do you want to buy from a company that uses the major slice of their budget in advertizing or would you rather spend your money on a company that puts money into R&D to insure the product they put on the market produces what they say it will, and backs that up with actual specifications so the 'informed' buyer knows what to expect with that product?

So, where can I find the published specs on Bose products?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #23 of 32 Old 12-14-2008, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've heard most of the entire range of Bose products, and as I said before, I've always given them the benefit of the doubt. Wave Radios, Lifestyle systems, Triports, Quiet Comfort, Acoustimass, and several OEM car systems.

I can't recommend any of them for sound quality alone. When factoring other considerations, the best I can say about them is that if you like it, buy it, but other than that, from a pure sound quality point of view or value, they are medocre at best.

I think their best product is the Quiet Comfort 2, because of they are comfortable, sound acceptable, and are effective enough for noise reduction, They are a good alternative to In Ear Monitors if you prefer a over the head style rather than earplug style earphones. However, there are quite a few In Ear Monitors which sound better and do a better job isolating from noise.
Quote:

I have no qualms about Bose being expensive, but they have to deliver for their price. My own 2.1 main computer speakers cost nearly 5 times what the Bose set does, so I don't mind paying the bucks if the product delivers.

Quote:

Nobody made any reference to sound output level. This is a question of whether Bose stuff is any good.

Quote:

Certainly if you like the sound, then all the power to you. But I would argue that Bose stuff is far from accurate. Decades old studies done at NRC have provided some correlation between measured performance and preceived sound quality through double blind testing. Bose has eschewed all these widely accepted findings and invested in delivering a sound that is designed to sound impressive, but at the expense of accuracy. With *my* ears, I find Bose stuff to be very colored, skewed in flatness of frequency response, or generally muddy or lacking in clarity.

Quote:

My friend last bought a Promedia 2.1 system for $125. So it takes a Bose system costly roughly twice as much to be comparable?

Quote:

This is just a processing circuit that does a similar compensation ala Fletcher-Munson curves. This kind of feature has been around for a long time, even my 30 year receiver has a knob to do a similar thing. I agree it's a worthwhile feature if done right (but is rarely so). Thankfully, Dolby Volume does a good job without the drawbacks of loudness contours and should enjoy more prominent deployment in future gear.

Quote:

See my first point.
Quote:

I don't disagree some of the Klipsch stuff was poorly made, so I don't recommend them for that reason.

post #24 of 32 Old 12-14-2008, 04:11 PM

Some good points... I admit I was skeptical about the Companion 3's given the in store demo and choice of music(some weird music no one listens to). So I bought from a B&M store so I could test and take advantage of the return policy if I had issue. I listen to all types of music but really like progressive metal which can be demanding of speakers. I was really impressed by the Bose with everything I played.

That being said my home theater is not Bose, but the companion speakers I think are very good for what they are:
1. For their size
2. Build Quality
3. Ergonomics

Could a larger bookshelf speaker and amplifier combo be better sure, but this is buying a system that you plug in and go... not really a fair comparison.

I would recommend buying from a store and try them out with your music, if they don't sound worth the cash return them.
post #25 of 32 Old 12-14-2008, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would recommend buying from a store and try them out with your music, if they don't sound worth the cash return them.

No doubt, that is always a good way to go about it. Nornally, I do as much research as I can at home to hopefully not end up with a dud, but nothing beats trying them at home doing direct A/B conparisons with gear I might already have. In the case of the Companion III, you might also consider buying something like the Logitech Z2300 system and returning the one that loses the shootout.

post #26 of 32 Old 03-03-2009, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

You are partially right. Bose is overpriced. Sound good? That is pure conjecture on your part. And Bose.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

http://ckayfei.net/audio/bs.html

Are these two articles still valid today, especially for Bose Companion 3 Series II speakers? I read and watched a lot of reviews, and people seem to like it. I am thinking of getting them. My decade old Klipsch ProMedia v2-400's subwoofer broke (major rattlings with low frequency bass).

I don't need 4.1+ speakers setup. 2.1 is fine for me (definitely want a strong subwoofer -- boom boom!). I use my speakers for TV shows, movies, computer games, etc. on my Windows PC (think of it as a media and gaming center) with a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS sound card (bought a Creative card for its hardware EAX).
post #27 of 32 Old 03-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

They are definitely still valid. With Bose you just aren't getting as much for your money as you could get.

Verum postulo res.
post #28 of 32 Old 03-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Let me just say that the speakers stands were a great buy. They sounded pretty crappy when I had them on the floor, but I got a set of 30" stands, and they're slightly above my ear level. And when I turn them inward and point it at my chair, it's awesome.

Let me be the first to actually reply to the OP post his decision.

Congratulations. It seems you have found what isn't so obvious at first - speaker placement, and tweeter placement in particular, is key.

Enjoy.
post #29 of 32 Old 03-03-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post

They are definitely still valid. With Bose you just aren't getting as much for your money as you could get.

Thanks. Good thing I read the reviews in AVS forum. I think I am aiming for Logitech Z2300 now. Way cheaper, THX certified, and better reviews. I will need to visit my local Best Buy to see and hear them (and Bose).

I guess Bose is only good for its prettiness. Screw the prettiness, I want quality audio for my media center and gaming PC!!
post #30 of 32 Old 03-03-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Strasse View Post

Let me be the first to actually reply to the OP post his decision.

Congratulations. It seems you have found what isn't so obvious at first - speaker placement, and tweeter placement in particular, is key.

Enjoy.

Wait why were they on the floor? Only two speakers.

Also, do I assume these speakers use standard audio cables to sound cards and devices? None of that SPDIF, USB, etc.?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page