If I had to spend $250, should I get Bose or Polk? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-13-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
 
joba2mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I already have a Kenwood VR-605 receiver (old but capable of 5.1) and 2 Polk bookshelf speakers (also old) which are pretty good. The Polks have full and wholesome mids, but not impressive highs).

With that said, for $250, I can get either a Polk subwoofer, OR I can get the Bose Companion 3 Series II system which is a 2.1 system also.

So really, with what I have, I can have either a Polk 2.1 system or a Bose 2.1system. (I really have my heart set on the Bose Companion 5 but that's $399).

What you think? Do you think a Polk center channel will help compensate for the sub-par highs from the Polk bookshelves?

Actually I also saw an open-box discount at Circuit City for an Onkyo ONK HTS 5100 7.1 system for $389. How good is that? I couldn't listen to it because the display wasn't hooked up.

What should I do? I know many here on AVS don't like Bose, but I do for many reasons, so please put yourself in the shoes of a person who thinks Bose is awesome! =)
joba2mo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 12-13-2008, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fireman325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joba2mo View Post

What should I do? I know many here on AVS don't like Bose, but I do for many reasons, so please put yourself in the shoes of a person who thinks Bose is awesome! =)

With the reputation Bose has on this forum, I don't think you'll find many here willing to do this. Pretty much everyone is going to tell you to avoid Bose like the plague, because, to be blunt, Bose is not awesome. Here's a good write-up explaining why.

What model are the Polks you already have?

Steve

fireman325 is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 12-13-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blued888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Polk definitely.

Eclectic Electronics: A blog containing technology news, information about home theater, digital photography and more.
blued888 is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 12-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
jakewash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why not get some better main speakers and for go the sub? You say your present polks lack highs, so why not look for better main speakers that you like and avoid the Bose catastrophe. You can find many better bookshelf speakers that will have much cleaner sound output than Bose and have a much greater range of sound from them. My parents have a 3-2-1 and I played a frequency response test through it and the sattelites are cut off around the 200 hz level, which means you have some vocals coming out of the bass module, which can be annoying when it is no where near the other speakers.
jakewash is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 12-13-2008, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
 
joba2mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All it says on the back is Polk Monitor Series

Very interesting input Jake. I've noticed that in ALL the stores where I've seen the Bose Companion 5 display, the subs are set about 10" below where the 2 main speakers are set up.
joba2mo is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 12-13-2008, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
 
joba2mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also Jake, I went to Frys to look at new Polk front speakers. They are really out of my price range. Especially for two!

I'll say one thing. One big reason why I want my heart is set on Bose Companion 5 is because it offers 5.1 sound with only 2 speakers and I really have no room for 2 satellite speakers.

So my objective basically is to get a good 2.1 system, at least for now. I guess I could always move stuff around to accomodate for 5.1....I don't know. I feel lost
joba2mo is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 12-13-2008, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blued888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fry's currently has the Infinity Primus P362 for $120 each if you're open to looking into another brand.

Eclectic Electronics: A blog containing technology news, information about home theater, digital photography and more.
blued888 is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 12-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Member
 
Canoga56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would seriously consider the PSB Alpha B1 loudspeaker. You can find them all over the place for just a little above your price range.

A major step up in SQ from what your looking at so far. Goggle for info.
Canoga56 is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 12-13-2008, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CADOBHuK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joba2mo View Post

One big reason why I want my heart is set on Bose Companion 5 is because it offers 5.1 sound with only 2 speakers and I really have no room for 2 satellite speakers.

Big reason ? More like a big crock of bs reason.
CADOBHuK is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 12-13-2008, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bruins29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The reason is that a Marketing company has been able to pass itself off as a speaker manufacturer.
Bruins29 is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 12-14-2008, 12:28 AM
Senior Member
 
laulau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: HI, USA
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by joba2mo View Post

One big reason why I want my heart is set on Bose Companion 5 is because it offers 5.1 sound with only 2 speakers...

5.1 from 2 speakers, sheesh.

How about an Energy speaker setup -
1 pair of C-50 bookshelf speakers and either an ESW-10 or ESW-8 for a subwoofer. Would run you between $230 and $260.
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/..._84__0_0_0_-1/

...
Salk SongTowers-RAAL / SongCenter-RAAL / SongSurrounds; Rythmik F12 (x2); Denon AVR-4520CI; D-Sonic M2-800S; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; Schiit Audio Valhalla; Sennheiser HD600; BJC everywhere
WDTV Live Hub; Xbox 360; Chromecast; Harmony One; Furman Elite-15 PFi; Omnimic v2 & REW; CalMAN 5 HT; i1 Display Pro 3; i1 Pro2; Salamander Designs Synergy
laulau is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 12-14-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by joba2mo View Post

Also Jake, I went to Frys to look at new Polk front speakers. They are really out of my price range. Especially for two!

I'll say one thing. One big reason why I want my heart is set on Bose Companion 5 is because it offers 5.1 sound with only 2 speakers and I really have no room for 2 satellite speakers.

You still here eh?

Do you really think Bose can offer what no other company has been able to emulate? 5.1 with only a 2.1 system? Makes me wonder why I've bothered to buy the 6 speakers I have if I could have done it with only 3.

Waiting for someone to tell you the Bose system you want to buy is everything you say it is and more? Find a Bose run forum and you'll get to hear those words. You won't find them here. There are few here that think Bose are anything more than a marketing company. You know, like the Gunther Renky(SIC?) commercials you see in the middle of the night selling pimple solutions.

But I guess the links I and others provided hasn't swayed your opinion about this company that peddles $200 (if that) worth the paper cone speakers in plastic housings in a $1200 package. The profit margin must be stupendous. The sound certainly isn't.

Why don't you just pull the trigger and get those Bose you think are so awesome? You sound like you are a big Bose fanboy.

Oh, one other thing, how about letting us know how you plan on hooking the Bose Companion to the Kenwood receiver.

We'd all like to know. The Kenwood does not have preouts and the Bose is self powered.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 12-14-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fireman325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joba2mo View Post

One big reason why I want my heart is set on Bose Companion 5 is because it offers 5.1 sound with only 2 speakers and I really have no room for 2 satellite speakers.

There's no such thing as "5.1 sound with only 2 speakers". Some speaker setups with the right sound processing can somewhat emulate surround sound, but the only way to get 5.1 sound is from a 5.1 setup. I would hold a lot higher opinion of Bose if they sold their products for what they're actually worth, which is probably around 20% of MSRP. Not only are their speakers of "questionable" design and build quality, but their electronics aren't anything spectacular either. To my knowledge (and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong), you have no support for lossless blu-ray audio with their $1000+ systems yet. No Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio. I'm not sure about multichannel LPCM, but I would be surprised if it's supported. To sum up, Bose is nothing more than a very over-priced, entry-level, budget-quality HTiB system, IMO.

Steve

fireman325 is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 12-14-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 109
And some would say to you that you may be too ignorant to accept the advice of people here trying to tell you, that the Bose you covet are overpriced for what they deliver. Accept the advice and make your pick but don't continue to convince everyone else that Bose are the be all and end all of low priced consumer speakers. They are not.

Can you understand that?

If you think they sound good, its your money. Nobody is going to prevent you from buying what you want, however, its you that came here asking for advice. You have that advice. It wasn't what you wanted to hear, too bad. Enough advice to make up your mind unless you are so dense as not to understand plain English.

A fanboy is one who, in the face of overwhelming advice to the contrary continues to convince anyone who will listen that 'X brand is the best bang for the buck'.

You sound like a Bose fanboy.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 12-14-2008, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fireman325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I told you up in the very first response to this thread that you won't find much love for Bose here. I didn't realize until a few minutes ago that you had 2 threads going on essentially the same subject. Anyway, like many others have said, it's your money, buy whatever makes you happy. If you think the Bose sounds great, then go for it. Monster sells some great cables that would really go well with a Bose system. LOL

Steve

fireman325 is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 12-14-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KMFDMvsEnya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Choose what you like and enjoy it.

The issue though, especially with Bose involved, is knowledge, acceptance/assumption, and perception.

Many people do not know what a proper audio system should sound like, they assume that if it is loud and thumps that equates to hi-fi. Unfortunately, that is a misconception that is difficult to change if the individual does not have the proper mindset.

Those I categorize as more mindful may be open to realize and learn with a good demonstration of what a hi-fi system actually sounds like and in turn appreciate it. However many folks simply assume if something is marketed repeatedly and relentless it must be good. Kind of like buying bottled water because supposedly it is cleaner and is of a higher quality H2O, in reality most companies source is the same as your tap.
Perception due to marketing made/make people believe that bottled water was superior to the drinking fountain where in actuality the fountain can have cleaner water.

If you really love the 'clean' look of Bose and find that it sounds fine to you asking folks hear is only going to frustrate you. I do not have a perfect knowledge of audio field but in my studies and pursuit of understanding of the subject I know that Bose is a company that offers superior marketing for substandard audio quality. Especially for the prices that they demand. -For years they have practiced very strict pricing structure Minimum Retail Price, aka Maximum Ridiculous Pricing.

Frankly the $300 panasonic 5.1 system's audio quality is as nice if not better than the Bose $2,000 5.1 system.
You pay a hefty premium for their form over function but if you like it go with it.

Now enjoy your current somewhat Frankensteinish sound system.

My vote is the Polk.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

KMFDMvsEnya is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 12-14-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bruins29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I had a nickel for everyone who just hooked up Bose and it sounded great and that made it all ok.
Bruins29 is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 12-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Newbie
 
joshbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Although you may have your mind set, I personally think bose highs are a bit too high. If I were you I would let my ears tell me whats best for me. The best reasonably priced high end sound I heard was Klipsh. They are little pricey for a budget system but they sure rock my home theater. Good luck
joshbar is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 12-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Senior Member
 
scubie02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
get another set of Polks and move the ones you have to the rear if they aren't to your liking and get a sub and I think you will like true 5.1 much better than simulated. It should say on the back which ones you have, btw.

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.
scubie02 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off