What the heck is causing that pop in my speakers? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 32 Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the same cross-talk issue with a dimmer switch and fan speed control. I contacted Lutron and they recommended a Quiet Fan control. The problem is with solid-state electronic controls and the phenomenum that occurs when an inductive load (a motor coil for example) has a sudden change in the current going through it. Unlike a DC circuit in a car where this is called "load dumping", in an AC circuit the problem is similar but different (make sense?) The power supply in your audio equipment is picking up on the cross-talk that the ceiling fan 'dumps' into the neutral wire, and is especially more apparent when you have your equipment on the same circuit. Lutron suggested using a choke (but they didn't say where, so I'll guess it would go on the wire TO the ceiling fan) or a Quiet Fan speed control. Or, this will be expensive, rewiring your circuits to separate them.
My first guess is to try a high quality speed control on the fan. Next a choke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 06-24-2013, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, suprised to see this thread is still alive. The response from the poster via Lutron does make some sense. I would like to understand this concept of "choking"
It may solve the issue, permenantly. Any other experts on the subject have more detail?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page