Looking for some headphones for work - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-17-2008, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

Looking for a set of headphones for work. My main focus will be comfort for long periods of time. I will also mention that I like to still be able to hear what is going on around me while I work. Currently I have a set of andrea's that are over-the-head type and aren't "cans" that is they don't enclose the whole ear. They are the foam type that just rest against the ear. Non-intrusive of you are wearing glasses etc.

The andrea's have seen better days and I want to get something new. I've used my ipod earbuds but they end up hurting my ears after a while. The other issue I have with earbuds is that I fell like they can cause more hearing damage since they are so close. The over the ear headphones seem to be more gentle in that area (let me know if I'm way off base there).

I know the "can" style" headphones are great for producing great sound but they block out too much noise and the ones I've had end up making my head sweaty where they seal around your ear. (plus you can end up with some pretty nasty headphone hair if they press hard against the top of your head.

I'd like good sound quality but it's definitely second place behind comfort. I'd also like to stay in the $30-$75 range.

Looking forward to hearing some of your ideas.

Thanks,
lennyManhattan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Ergonomic earbuds that conform to your ear canal. They are not as visually offensive in a work enviroment as full blown headphones IMHO. I would not let my engineers wear headphones in my engineering department, but hell that's just me.

Headphones that block all outside sounds also block me when I want their attention and they cannot hear their name when paged. Open headphones like Sennheiser's also let other workers hear whatever they are listening to and not everyone likes opera!

If you are the boss or if your boss allows headphones, I like the light weight open Sennheiser's for long term listening.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-17-2008, 04:53 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyManhattan View Post

I'd like good sound quality but it's definitely second place behind comfort. I'd also like to stay in the $30-$75 range.
Looking forward to hearing some of your ideas.

An in-ear headphone works wonders because they sound great and are discreet. Linkwitz recommends the shure e2c for their flat frequency response. They're discontinued but maybe you could find some. I have a pair and really like them. I also bought a discounted pair of Shure E500pth's and like them, too. I'd never go back to over the ear, especially at work. These i2c's look like a great deal for less than $40.

http://dealnews.com/Shure-I2-C-MP-So...ng/266947.html
post #4 of 16 Old 12-17-2008, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterankoman View Post

They are not as visually offensive in a work enviroment as full blown headphones IMHO. I would not let my engineers wear headphones in my engineering department, but hell that's just me.

eh, we're programmers. It's almost expected. Some people use it to drown out distractions (sales people, office conversation) I just like to have some good usic to keep me in the flow. Plus it kinid of give off the "Hey, I'm busy. Don't bug me unles it's important."

As for the paging system, I hope to never again work someplace that has one.. talk about a "flow" killer.

Thanks for the earbud advise. I've talked to some friends as well and I think I dislike them b/c I've never had a "good" pair.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-18-2008, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I use Sennheiser HD280's at work. Over-the-ear and closed back, the do a decent job of sealing out office noise and sound very good. They are often found on sale at various internet vendors. I just purchased some Audio Technia ATH-ANC7 noise cancelling headphones as a Xmax gift for my son - I'm real interested to see how they work out for him. The reviews and ratings are very good and the seasonal sales price was excellent from Amazon.com
post #6 of 16 Old 12-18-2008, 09:02 AM

Sennheiser PMX-100's. Nice and open, "neckband" style (behind the head), and sound 90% as good as my Sennheiser HD555's at half the price (that is to say, phenomenal). Might not be that good for *really* long-term use, however. After wearing them for 3 hours or more, they start to hurt the ears (because of the ear "clips" they employ). I bought the wife a pair of PX-100's which sound awesome also but they're top-of-the head. More comfy for long-term, though.

I haven't heard a Sennheiser product that I haven't loved. AKG's are nice, too. But tres pricey. The Grado S60's are very nice, too. Too much on the bright side for me, however.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-18-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Koss PRO-35 titanium headphones $39.99 @ radio shack.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #8 of 16 Old 12-18-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyManhattan View Post

As for the paging system, I hope to never again work someplace that has one.. talk about a "flow" killer.

Amen to that.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 11:04 AM

If it helps you concentrate better then use headphones (better than office noise I think). I like using bluetooth so I don't get tangled in wires.

Headphones For Work
post #10 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 12:30 PM

I'd recommend Jays V-Jays. I use them for work so that I can hear my name when called.

Here is a nice review of them:
http://www.headfonia.com/ultra-porta...l-and-hd238/4/

and the official website - http://www.jays.se/products/headphones/v-jays.html

they look like cheap pc headphones, but they sound excellent, plus the "cheapness" makes them light.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 02:02 PM

your best bet would be to check out the Selection Guide over at HeadRoom's website. Search through by type, or "workstation" listening, and you'll see some top picks.

Is sound leakage a concern? You say you still want to hear your surroundings, which may eliminate some closed-phones, but realize that unless you go with canalphones, you might be sharing your tunes with those around you

I personally don't find canalphones or IEM's to be comfortable for long periods of time. My ears get "sweaty" and i lose a good seal.

I'd check out the Sennheiser PX 100's, or even the Koss Porta-Pro's.

Can be had very reasonably, and sound great. Definitely leak some sound though.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 02:21 PM

I like the Yamaha RH5MA's:
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RH5MA-M...7353177&sr=8-1
Nice sound and comfortable for hours at a time while I'm working. If you have a local Guitar Center you should be able to try them out.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-23-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 335
post #14 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
guys.....this is a 3 year old thread, I think the OP has his headphones by now.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-09-2012, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

You are correct, m_vanmeter. I have purchased my headphones.

I went with the PX 100's and I really like them.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-09-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Koss PortaPro for sure. It's what I use at work. These things are legendary.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page