Sonus Faber Owners Thread - Page 14 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
post #391 of 420 Old 03-04-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 97
That's awesome! Wish I could hear them again,not sure I'd want to give up the Martin Logan's just yet tho..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 420 Old 03-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 41
heres a few
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06966.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	584169   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06970.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	584177   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06977.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	584185   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06982.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	584193   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06983.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	584201  

post #393 of 420 Old 03-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

soooo much italian wood i'm afraid of my wife seeing these
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC06967.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	584225   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06984.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	584233   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06986.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	584241   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06985.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	584249  
post #394 of 420 Old 03-04-2015, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Love the string grill on the Cremona. The Venere with wood is beautiful.
bthrb4u likes this.
post #395 of 420 Old 03-04-2015, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

How are the kefs compared to the veneres?
post #396 of 420 Old 03-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

the R series is a very very good speaker line. I have kef xq30 speakers now which is an older model but kind of similar. Similar enough that the last time i listened, they just reminded me of my speakers enough to make me not want them. I wanted something different. I found different but what i wanted, i couldn't afford so i settled for a little less.
post #397 of 420 Old 03-05-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I just read back and saw you ordered the 3.0's in gloss black.. Nice! I heard the CM 10 s2's the other day and the bass had great punch. I was listening to the 2.5's and they didn't have that. Not sure why.. The 2.5's have a smoother top end,the CM10's have a sparkle to the top end,not sure if I like that.
post #398 of 420 Old 03-05-2015, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
I just read back and saw you ordered the 3.0's in gloss black.. Nice! I heard the CM 10 s2's the other day and the bass had great punch. I was listening to the 2.5's and they didn't have that. Not sure why.. The 2.5's have a smoother top end,the CM10's have a sparkle to the top end,not sure if I like that.
Unfortunately, speakers are frequently not set up right in stores, especially BB/Magnolia, making it very difficult to assess. When I listened to a pair of SF Olympica III's at Magnolia, they had incredible detail but no bass, and when I listened to B&W 802 Diamonds in the same room, they had all bass and absolutely no detail or highs. Obviously both were set up poorly (the SF's have great bass and sound incredible in my home). It makes it difficult to shop and compare.
bthrb4u likes this.
post #399 of 420 Old 03-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

I've heard the cm9s both new and old versions. From what I remembered of old, I liked their sparkly top end but there was some major mid bass to lower mid congestion which made male vocals sound horrible. The new bookshelf with the tweeter on top I did hear with some pass mono blocks. I've always felt the cm series to be the best newbie speaker. I got into hi-fi via headphones. Of all the terms used, every other new thread was asking for advice about a headphone with "sparkly highs, silky smooth mids, and tight powerful bass." of course once you've mastered all that audiophiliaismabob you feel extra special knowing you even asked appropriately in order going from highs to lows. I feel like the cm series fits that bill. However to me, it's got a small split personality disorder. I think the new cm10 has grown up a little and deviated from the sparklyness in order to blend more with the mids. The bass has been one of the weaker links in the cm series. Some bloat and not very resolving. I'm going to have to go back andlook but im pretty sure the old cm9 rolled off quickly and the new cm10s extra driver aided in lowering it a few.
post #400 of 420 Old 03-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

I hope SF makes an in between model of the Olympica and venere. Doubtful though. If you fixed what was wrong with the venere then it would be hard to justify the price difference between it and the Olympicas probably. Not that there aren't people who would notice the discontinuities and gladly pay for the heavenly sound of the Olympicas.
post #401 of 420 Old 03-05-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Another thing is the receiver and equipment they use anywhere you go. Where they set up with room correction? Do they have loudness on? There are so many settings its just hard to know what the real sound is. In the magnolia design center,they have speakers really spread out. The CM10's were about 10' apart,the 2.5's were about 20' apart,and its not easy to move that stuff around. Half there stuff wasn't even hooked up. None of the Martin Logan's were hooked up. I didn't want to make a big deal out of it when I wasn't looking to buy new speakers. I also don't like it when speakers are hooked up to super expensive gear. Most of us aren't going to use McIntosh mono blocks. The only real way to demo speakers is in your own room.
post #402 of 420 Old 03-05-2015, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
Another thing is the receiver and equipment they use anywhere you go. Where they set up with room correction? Do they have loudness on? There are so many settings its just hard to know what the real sound is. In the magnolia design center,they have speakers really spread out. The CM10's were about 10' apart,the 2.5's were about 20' apart,and its not easy to move that stuff around. Half there stuff wasn't even hooked up. None of the Martin Logan's were hooked up. I didn't want to make a big deal out of it when I wasn't looking to buy new speakers. I also don't like it when speakers are hooked up to super expensive gear. Most of us aren't going to use McIntosh mono blocks. The only real way to demo speakers is in your own room.
Fully agree. Each pair of speakers I listened to were connected to a totally different AVR or amp. The 820D's were connected to those huge McI monoblocks.
post #403 of 420 Old 03-06-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post
Curious about your impression of the Venere center...I have thought about adding that. What's your impression of it so far?

Thanks!
I think the center is a ok to perhaps slightly disappointing. It tends towards being just slightly nasal and hollow-boxy sounding at times. It is acceptable and I think it performs as well as anything else priced the same.
bthrb4u likes this.

nuke
post #404 of 420 Old 03-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

I feel the same way for the most part. It's not a very expansive image is my biggest gripe. Was hoping ffor something bigger sounding for when I get my projector. Right now the image seems proportionate to my 50 inch TVand with some space between myself and center it could possibly grow. As for the tonality of it, there's some boxyness and nasally attributes that to me aids in giving it that dry cinematic engagement I associate with theaters. So not really a complaint there from me
post #405 of 420 Old 03-07-2015, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post
I feel the same way for the most part. It's not a very expansive image is my biggest gripe. Was hoping ffor something bigger sounding for when I get my projector. Right now the image seems proportionate to my 50 inch TVand with some space between myself and center it could possibly grow. As for the tonality of it, there's some boxyness and nasally attributes that to me aids in giving it that dry cinematic engagement I associate with theaters. So not really a complaint there from me

I found a gently used Venere center for a reasonable price, so I am planning to swap it in with my Venere 2.5s when it arrives next week. Swapping out an Infinity Primus PC 351. I guess I am looking for a bit more tonal consistency across the fronts...we'll see if I achieve that next week...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #406 of 420 Old 03-07-2015, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

awesome
i don't have my towers yet to compare too but one thing i'm liking about it for sure is the amount of texture and solidity to vocals.
Tgterm likes this.
post #407 of 420 Old 03-07-2015, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
awesome
i don't have my towers yet to compare too but one thing i'm liking about it for sure is the amount of texture and solidity to vocals.
Why is it taking so long to get them?
bthrb4u likes this.
post #408 of 420 Old 03-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Some shipping bs. Not the store or sumikos fault.
post #409 of 420 Old 03-08-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm assuming they are being shipped from the factory. Maybe they had to make them? Which I could hear them in my house.
post #410 of 420 Old 03-11-2015, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

I got them! They're so good I actually teared up a little last night lol. I was so happy I finally had my music back. I heard them in the store again before I brought them home and was a little worried, not that they were bad but maybe they weren't good enough. They just simply didn't have them in a good spot because in my house they're ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculously good. I even pulled out my old Peachtree audio DAC*IT hooked up the laptop and ran some higher sampling rate music. I don't know if these recordings are enhanced in someway or if the higher bit rate and sampling is that much better but I noticed an improvement in articulation of every instrument and a larger size image. I'vealso been playing around with the DSP studio in Jriver and having a blast doing so. I was worried going with the silk tweeter they wouldn't be able to get that Metallic twang of an acoustic guitar right but absolutely no problem and no fatigue
post #411 of 420 Old 03-11-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I got them! They're so good I actually teared up a little last night lol. I was so happy I finally had my music back. I heard them in the store again before I brought them home and was a little worried, not that they were bad but maybe they weren't good enough. They just simply didn't have them in a good spot because in my house they're ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculously good. I even pulled out my old Peachtree audio DAC*IT hooked up the laptop and ran some higher sampling rate music. I don't know if these recordings are enhanced in someway or if the higher bit rate and sampling is that much better but I noticed an improvement in articulation of every instrument and a larger size image. I'vealso been playing around with the DSP studio in Jriver and having a blast doing so. I was worried going with the silk tweeter they wouldn't be able to get that Metallic twang of an acoustic guitar right but absolutely no problem and no fatigue

Finally! Congrats, and enjoy!

BTW, any explanation regarding what took so long?

Still waiting for my center channel...sigh...

bthrb4u likes this.
post #412 of 420 Old 03-11-2015, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Hey tgterm, did you year the center before you bought? I ask because even though I don't mind it because the one I had seriously belonged in the trash and I wanted to keep it matching with my new fronts, It's seriously not on the same level as the fronts. I just worry that I talked you into getting it and then you possibly regretting it. It does work but could be better. I just didn't know any other route to go.
post #413 of 420 Old 03-11-2015, 06:33 PM

Sonus Faber Owners Thread

Quote:
Hey tgterm, did you year the center before you bought? I ask because even though I don't mind it because the one I had seriously belonged in the trash and I wanted to keep it matching with my new fronts, It's seriously not on the same level as the fronts. I just worry that I talked you into getting it and then you possibly regretting it. It does work but could be better. I just didn't know any other route to go.

I had been planning to get it for awhile. I wanted to match my 2.5s with the center family member. I did not hear it before I bought it, but I expect it to be an upgrade from my Infinity center. Got it for a good price, so thought it was worth the risk. Guess I will find out soon enough...

Yikes! Hope I won't be too disappointed.

Last edited by Tgterm; 03-11-2015 at 07:23 PM.
post #414 of 420 Old 03-12-2015, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

I mentioned before that I wish there was a series between the venere and the Olympicas but honestly Iddon't feel there needs to be now that I've heard them in my room. Admittedly I was hoping for a more romantic sound as the music I mainly listen to takes advantage of it. With these I've found there isn't much of that however. BUT because of this I've found myself trying different playlist I have on Pandora and Spotify and truly enjoying the music I so long ago forgotabout. I use to have a thing for rock and guess wwhat... It's back lol. They've also brought my home theater sound up quite a few notches. I'm simply in love. All music genres sound great through these. I mentioned there wasn't much of that romantic sound however I have found a secret passage to the world of piano. I've always loved piano even though I don't know much about the big artists mainly just ludovico einaudi and some Chopin. The extra detail retrieval I'm not use to, the huge image size in the highs and how the proper crossover network seamlessly blends the actual note with the bassy hit of the hammer hitting the string. It's so entrancing of a sound and I love it. There's definitely some lack of energy that makes some instruments sound as expressive as they can. The dry higher pitched of some violins and saxophones is a little lacking. It's not really too depressing though as my cars system does these right and I can get my violin fix in the car or get a pair of audio technica woodied headphones for when i want that really personal and romantic sound. I don't know much about the world of tubes but I am under the iimpression the sound can be more appealing due to the even order distortion. I know they won't pull out that extra energy but if they can add one notch of the apeal factor then iI'll be golden. This seems to be a speaker better suited for solid state but who knows.

Last edited by bthrb4u; 03-12-2015 at 10:00 AM.
post #415 of 420 Old 03-12-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
This seems to be a speaker better suited for solid state but who knows.
My SF's do sound great with my sold state Parasound amp/preamp.
bthrb4u likes this.
post #416 of 420 Old 03-13-2015, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

a few shots of me getting them hooked up the night i got them. also, my new toys i got last night. i tried setting up my sub properly while the kids were sleeping but i had to hurry and honestly my couch limits where i can put my sub. I think i found a clearer spot but at the same time, i can still localize the sub and i feel there's some build up between the couch and the wall. Its ok though as my wife and i are moving to our new house hopefully by the end of the week. Ill have a much bigger room and more room to play.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC06995.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	600249   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06994.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	600257   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06990.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	600265   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06987.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	600273  
post #417 of 420 Old 03-13-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the exact same radio shack sound leveler.. :P You should hear the piano and such on my ESL's,you would love it. I'd love to hear the 2.5's in my room. I'd get them in White..
post #418 of 420 Old 03-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

I I'll be getting a dayton calibrated mic once we get into our new house. I'm just waiting till we get all of our finances figured out first. Also, acoustic panels and bass traps which I'll be making on my own
post #419 of 420 Old 03-30-2015, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Just wanted to update this thread with some info on the new Chameleon line. Features a bookshelf mini-monitor, tower, and center (Chameleon B/T/C) with removable side-panels in various color options. The design and concept is definitely a departure for SF, but these models are all made in Italy. Even more curious is that the pricing for these models is cheaper than the made-in-China Venere line -- $2k for the towers, $900 for the bookshelves, and $550 for the center. The cabinets are made of leather and the drivers are of SF design. I'm sure SF saved some money going with (plastic?) side panels but the pricing seems a bit too good to be true, cheaper than even the Toy line it seems to be replacing. They should be out in April. If they sound and look good in person, then I hope to replace my Toy monitors with a pair of Chameleon T.

http://www.sonusfaber.com/en-us/products/chameleon-t

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1 [walnut]; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony ST-SA50ES, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sony 32" W650A, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
post #420 of 420 Unread Today, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New to SF. Currently in the process of finishing my HT/Entertainment room. Have a pair of 1992 Mirage 7si that I used to love the sound of and may still love the sound but am waiting for room to be done.

I listened to some SF2.5 in Magnolia. They would replace my Mirage and also be for HT. They did sound great and can't wait to demo in my space. I have a Marantz SR6003 and SR7200 as well as a Hafler DM220 amp. Hopefully, one will be fine

MY Build in Progress >>> My Home Theater Build
Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500, KEF 3005 5.1, Marantz SR6003
HT: Selection in progress
In storage: Mirage M7si, Mirage LF-150, Marantz SR7200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page