Sonus Faber Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #451 of 509 Old 04-07-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinku_boo View Post
I looked up the prices of you amp/pre-amp combination and saw that the pre-amp cost a lot more ... is that normal, or is that something you chose on purpose? Actually I've looked up a few other pre-amps (Rotel) and they are quite more expensive than their counter part amps....whoa.

I had a tear in my eye when I first heard the Olympica bookshelfs; I thought the instruments were playing in front of me.
Of course, Parasound recommends pairing the JC2 (their flagship preamp) with a pair of their flagship JC1 monoblock amps, but one has to make sacrifices somewhere! IMO, the A21 is good enough for my listening pleasure (and I don't have room for 2 large, heavy amps). In the end, there's always a trade-off between AQ and price point. I am a year away from retirement, and wanted one last upgrade for my 2-channel music listening hobby for when I'll have more time for it. I last upgraded 12 years ago, with a Rotel amp and preamp and Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home speakers, and now upgraded to the Parasound Halo amp/preamp and SF Olympica IIIs. Definitely an improvement in AQ, with better bass and a sound that more fully fills my family room. I have no regrets or buyer's remorse!
tinku_boo likes this.

Last edited by BillP; 04-07-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 509 Old 04-07-2015, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Yes, my Olympica III's are 4 ohm speakers, that (according to reviews) dip even lower than 4 ohms. Since my old Rotel amp was not even rated for 4 ohms, I decided on the upgrade to a Halo A21 (to go with a Halo JC2 preamp) for my 2-channel system.
Good deal,I best they sound awesome! I gotta go to my local Magnolia Design,they have them. I gotta hear them. They are hooked up to McIntosh amps. Garbage
post #453 of 509 Old 04-07-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Tinku. I have ML EL ESL's,which are supposed to dip down to 1 ohm,probably if your cranking them,which I don't do. I had an Emotiva XPA-3. 200 watts per channel. I listened both ways and heard no difference,and if there was,it was so slight that it wasn't worth the money,so I sold it. I think the Venere's are 6 or 8 ohm and they are pretty efficient. If you have a decent AVR,you won't need an amp. If you don't care about money,buy an amp. They did an amp shoot out. It was a blind testing. They threw in an Onkyo 686 I think it was. They had $10,000 amps and there were some pretty disappointed guys there. The Onkyo won..LOL If you buy a $1000 amp,your going to want to justify your purchase and swear you hear a difference,you won't. If you listen at high levels,yes,and amp will help. The only thing I miss about that amp,is it looked cool in my entertainment center and now there is nothing there. That's about it tho.
tinku_boo likes this.
post #454 of 509 Old 04-07-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
Good deal,I best they sound awesome! I gotta go to my local Magnolia Design,they have them. I gotta hear them. They are hooked up to McIntosh amps. Garbage
Unfortunately Magnolia has no idea how to set up their speakers. At the one Magnolia near me that had them, the Olympica III's sounded extremely detailed, but had absolutely no bass (hooked up to a McIntosh AVR), whereas a pair of B&W 802D's were all bass and absolutely no highs or midrange (hooked up to McIntosh monoblock amps), making them sound terrible. Preamp/AVR settings must have been way off for both sets of speakers. Fortunately the Olympica's sound great in my home - plenty of bass and very detailed.

By the way, the Veneres are 6 ohm speakers.
tinku_boo likes this.

Last edited by BillP; 04-07-2015 at 11:27 AM.
post #455 of 509 Old 04-07-2015, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Smile

Quote:
I have no regrets or buyer's remorse!
I won't have buyer's remorse with any of the Sonus faber speakers, either. No matter what room they go in to (bedroom, living room, etc), they'll sound terrific for music. I can't picture fatigue with them, either. (For B&W, I can picture fatigue: to me, they seem to be really really high-end Klipsch in terms of fatigue ha)

Quote:
Tinku. I have ML EL ESL's,which are supposed to dip down to 1 ohm,probably if your cranking them,which I don't do. I had an Emotiva XPA-3. 200 watts per channel. I listened both ways and heard no difference,and if there was,it was so slight that it wasn't worth the money,so I sold it. I think the Venere's are 6 or 8 ohm and they are pretty efficient. If you have a decent AVR,you won't need an amp. If you don't care about money,buy an amp. They did an amp shoot out. It was a blind testing. They threw in an Onkyo 686 I think it was. They had $10,000 amps and there were some pretty disappointed guys there. The Onkyo won..LOL If you buy a $1000 amp,your going to want to justify your purchase and swear you hear a difference,you won't. If you listen at high levels,yes,and amp will help. The only thing I miss about that amp,is it looked cool in my entertainment center and now there is nothing there. That's about it tho.
LowTech1, thank you for the detailed answer. Since my source is a turntable, I had to ask about everyone's experience. I'll ask the return policy, and then check them out. I won't let my pride get in the way (If I did, I would have bought the Venere 3.0 floorstanding ha).

Is everyone here er, male? If so, how did you convince you better halves (sp?) to spend the $$? (siigh) ;-)
post #456 of 509 Old 04-07-2015, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is everyone here er, male? If so, how did you convince you better halves (sp?) to spend the $$? (siigh) ;-)
To be honest, my equipment upgrade was in February, and my wife still does not know (and doesn't want to know) how much it cost. She's a keeper (and has no interest in discussions regarding AV equipment)!
tinku_boo likes this.
post #457 of 509 Old 04-07-2015, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wink

Quote:
To be honest, my equipment upgrade was in February, and my wife still does not know (and doesn't want to know) how much it cost. She's a keeper (and has no interest in discussions regarding AV equipment)!
hahaha. lucky you! I ended up marrying an Electrical & Electronics Engineer. I can't tell you the number of times I've gotten, "I can build that for you"! And when she tries to explain things to me, it sounds like an alien lingo.
post #458 of 509 Old 04-07-2015, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Try a couple of different Magnolia's, you're bound to find one that is competent when it comes to setup. My wife and I heard the Olympica I and the Olympica III this past Saturday and we both had the same reaction, "These are amazing!" The entire time the Olympica I was playing I kept thinking there was a subwoofer turned on until we heard the Olympica III, and then it was just more of everything. Both are great sounding speakers, we both had grins on our face the entire 30 or so minutes we sat in there listening the them. The only down side is when I got home I played the same songs on my Studio 20v5's and NONE of the music had that warm and crystal clear sound I just heard; but that's what I'd expect given the price difference. And the Studio 20 is still a great speaker in it's own right.

She is adamantly against floor-standing speakers and the Olympica III are the first pair she likes and actually wants in our home. After I told her the price she said, "Well I guess we'll start out with the bookshelf and move up to the floor standers in the future. Either way we are going to get these speakers." So I have the green light on the Olympica I, just have to buy a house first and then I'll be splurging. Now I have to figure out what I'm going to use to drive them, currently have a Denon 2112ci, any suggestions?
tinku_boo likes this.

PSN ID: javant86
Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
post #459 of 509 Old 04-07-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

kamouflage, with the Olympica I's, you really should get a subwoofer. I love Parasound driving my Olympica's. And they just recently came out with an integrated amp if you don't want to go amp/preamp separates (if you are interested only in 2.0 or 2.1 music listening). If you want surround sound, I would just stick with your Denon.
post #460 of 509 Old 04-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Those Olympicas are amazing. I really don't think the veneres are that far behind to be honest. The Olympicas are one of my most favorite speakers and I've heard them a bit. I own venere 3.0s and setup properly are nothing less than spectacular.
tinku_boo likes this.
post #461 of 509 Old 04-07-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
kamouflage, with the Olympica I's, you really should get a subwoofer. I love Parasound driving my Olympica's. And they just recently came out with an integrated amp if you don't want to go amp/preamp separates (if you are interested only in 2.0 or 2.1 music listening). If you want surround sound, I would just stick with your Denon.
Right now I have a sub but it's been unhooked for a long time due to being on the second floor in an apartment. If I could swing the Olympica's before I move I wouldn't need a sub. Once we move a larger sub is definitely on the list. I want surround sound and plan on getting the Olympica Center some time as well. I think the Parasound is too rich for my blood, probably looking to only spend 2k or so for electronics, want to get an Oppo 103D in addition to that as well.

post #462 of 509 Old 04-16-2015, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey everyone. i've been demoing speakers from high end brands for several weeks and I keep coming back to sonus faber. if i might solicit some advice, can anyone compare any of these speakers to each other?

floor standing liuto, vs venere 3.0, vs the grand piano either "home" or "concerto" versions

they all sound great, but there's no way for me to compare them side by side. two dealers have veneres but not liutos. one dealer has liuto but not veneres. and grand piano is being sold used by someone local to me and various sources online.

-venere 3.0 for $2500
-liuto i haven't haggled with the dealer yet but i suspect i can get under $3000 (his list price for the demo model, which is the last pair he has or will ever have in stock, is 3500)
-used grand pianos in either "home" or "concerto" versions will be around $1500

i think i'd be lucky to own any of them but would love to hear comparisons from other users. if i had to go with a gut instinct, i'd pick the venere 3.0

PS: for anyone interested in veneres, you might not think magnolia would haggle because it's a chain and part of best buy, but they absolutely will for high ticket items! msrp on venere is 3500. sale price is 3000 right now. got them down to 2500 with very little effort and i haven't even finished pitting the dealers against each other. i suspect i could get them a little lower, and maybe a demo/floor model even lower than that
post #463 of 509 Old 04-18-2015, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Must be nice. I didn't get much of a discount in my 3.0s. After tax I basically paid msrp
post #464 of 509 Old 04-24-2015, 06:30 PM

an update to the above post....so i purchased a pair of sonus faber grand piano "home" version and one of the tweeters was damaged in transit

i need help identifying it so i can replace it.

apparently in the "concerto" version of the grand piano, it was very easy. http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussio...piano-speakers
it had the part number on it and everything, and you can order the appropriate SEAS tweeter (sans sonus faber logo) for $20

i'm not so lucky with the "home" version. it is oddly shaped and there is no OEM part number on the tweeter itself. all it says on the tweeter is "sonus faber" "passed Q.C." and "TWE000007" which seems to be an in-house part #

pic below

any help?

thanks!
post #465 of 509 Old 04-24-2015, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

avsninja,
If I were you, I'd contact Sumiko, the North American distributor for Sonus Faber.

2431 Fifth Street
94710 Berkeley, California
Phone: 510-843-4500
Fax: 510-843-7120
E-mail: mail@sumikoaudio.net
Web: www.sumikoaudio.net
post #466 of 509 Old 04-24-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
avsninja,
If I were you, I'd contact Sumiko, the North American distributor for Sonus Faber.

2431 Fifth Street
94710 Berkeley, California
Phone: 510-843-4500
Fax: 510-843-7120
E-mail: mail@sumikoaudio.net
Web: www.sumikoaudio.net
thanks! will do
post #467 of 509 Old 04-29-2015, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Another option

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
Try a couple of different Magnolia's, you're bound to find one that is competent when it comes to setup. My wife and I heard the Olympica I and the Olympica III this past Saturday and we both had the same reaction, "These are amazing!" The entire time the Olympica I was playing I kept thinking there was a subwoofer turned on until we heard the Olympica III, and then it was just more of everything. Both are great sounding speakers, we both had grins on our face the entire 30 or so minutes we sat in there listening the them. The only down side is when I got home I played the same songs on my Studio 20v5's and NONE of the music had that warm and crystal clear sound I just heard; but that's what I'd expect given the price difference. And the Studio 20 is still a great speaker in it's own right.

She is adamantly against floor-standing speakers and the Olympica III are the first pair she likes and actually wants in our home. After I told her the price she said, "Well I guess we'll start out with the bookshelf and move up to the floor standers in the future. Either way we are going to get these speakers." So I have the green light on the Olympica I, just have to buy a house first and then I'll be splurging. Now I have to figure out what I'm going to use to drive them, currently have a Denon 2112ci, any suggestions?
Did you take a look at the Olympica IIs? Considering you'd need to add the $1200 stands (really worth it IMHO) and a subwoofer to the Is, your just about to the price of a pair of IIs.
post #468 of 509 Old 04-30-2015, 07:48 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
hahaha. lucky you! I ended up marrying an Electrical & Electronics Engineer. I can't tell you the number of times I've gotten, "I can build that for you"! And when she tries to explain things to me, it sounds like an alien lingo.
I love it congratulation, at least your significant other understand AUDIO
post #469 of 509 Old 04-30-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 46
How is the Olympica II cabinet? Are the mids and highs sealed or is it sort of a open baffle design? I'm not understanding the vent in the rear...?
post #470 of 509 Old 04-30-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post
How is the Olympica II cabinet? Are the mids and highs sealed or is it sort of a open baffle design? I'm not understanding the vent in the rear...?
The vertical vent is the "bass-reflex." You have the flexibility of switching the left and right speakers, i.e., having the reflex on the inside or outside of the pair, depending on your room acoustics and personal preferences. As the name suggests, it's for the lows (not sure if mids are affected as well - it may depend on the cross-over settings).
post #471 of 509 Old 04-30-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
The vertical vent is the "bass-reflex." You have the flexibility of switching the left and right speakers, i.e., having the reflex on the inside or outside of the pair, depending on your room acoustics and personal preferences. As the name suggests, it's for the lows (not sure if mids are affected as well - it may depend on the cross-over settings).
Interesting, I was curious if any midrange frequency is emitted as well.
post #472 of 509 Old 04-30-2015, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post
Interesting, I was curious if any midrange frequency is emitted as well.
Not sure why it matters. At the end of the day, the Olympica's sound incredible.
post #473 of 509 Old 04-30-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
Did you take a look at the Olympica IIs? Considering you'd need to add the $1200 stands (really worth it IMHO) and a subwoofer to the Is, your just about to the price of a pair of IIs.
Not yet but I do plan on auditioning them before I purchase any model. Only the Olympica I and III were at the Magnolia store I was at.

post #474 of 509 Old 04-30-2015, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've just received a full surround setup with Olympica IIIs as the fronts, with the Olympica Center and Olympica Is as surrounds. Plus a pair of the new Sumiko S.9 subwoofers. Watch for my review on Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity (www.hometheaterhifi.com) sometime in the next few months. Initial impressions on the IIIs and Center are very favorable. I'll be setting up the Is and subs this weekend.

I was tempted to ask for the IIs for review as it seems like they are the "middle child" in the lineup and haven't gotten much love yet. However, since my room is so large (24 x 28') and I'm a bass-junkie the IIIs are a far better fit.

I've got to say, my media room has never looked so good. These speakers truly are stunning.
fatuglyguy and bthrb4u like this.

Last edited by Influence; 04-30-2015 at 04:57 PM.
post #475 of 509 Old 04-30-2015, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I've just received a full surround setup with Olympica IIIs as the fronts, with the Olympica Center and Olympica Is as surrounds. Plus a pair of the new Sumiko S.9 subwoofers. Watch for my review on Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity (www.hometheaterhifi.com) sometime in the next few months. Initial impressions on the IIIs and Center are very favorable. I'll be setting up the Is and subs this weekend.

I was tempted to ask for the IIs for review as it seems like they are the "middle child" in the lineup and haven't gotten much love yet. However, since my room is so large (24 x 28') and I'm a bass-junkie the IIIs are a far better fit.

I've got to say, my media room has never looked so good. These speakers truly are stunning.
I look forward to your review. I bought the Olympica III's about 2 months ago (2-channel set-up - an upgrade from a pair of SF Grand Piano Homes), and think they are nothing short of amazing for music.
post #476 of 509 Old 04-30-2015, 07:15 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
have you tried bi-wiring and if so, does it show any difference? I guess i should just try it and return if it makes no difference ...
biwiring makes no difference unless you like the look
post #477 of 509 Old 04-30-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Really looking forward to what you have to say about them. I listened over a month or so ago and still can't get the sound out of my head. Music at home has been ruined for me until I'm finally able to buy a pair. Really curious to see what you have to say about the center. For grins you should A/B the III's and I's for your mains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #478 of 509 Old 04-30-2015, 07:40 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was tempted to ask for the IIs for review as it seems like they are the "middle child" in the lineup and haven't gotten much love yet. However, since my room is so large (24 x 28') and I'm a bass-junkie the IIIs are a far better fit. I've got to say, my media room has never looked so good. These speakers truly are stunning.
Sweet can please I come by?

If I were building a new room from scratch I would buy 9 Olympica III + 9 Olympica I and four Fathom F113 subs

or if I win the lottery then I would go for this

Sonus faber Homage, a new look for your luxury home theatre

The Homage Collection has always been one of Sonus faber bestsellers: the family composed by Amati futura, Guarneri evolution and Homage Vox has got an infinite potential for excellent hi-fi systems, stereo or multichannel and is perfect for luxury home theatre; from now on, two new finishes will add more choice for customers: Red/Black Satin and Piano Black.

The main difference in both the new finishes regards the aluminum used for the top of the speaker, for the rear reflex-port and the bases. The Avional, the precious aluminum alloy used for the Homage collection as well as for the flagships Aida and Lilium, is no longer nickel-plated, but instead it follows a different satin process which darkens the metal.
The same metal, in the Piano Black finish, has all the edges milled in silver; this treatment gives brightness to the black metal and enhances the black lacquering of the sides.
Moreover, the fixing screws of the drivers on the flange and the spikes are in silver creating a charming contrasting effect.

A brand new look for this classic Collection, that proves its maturity and, at the same time, its endless spirit.

bthrb4u likes this.
post #479 of 509 Old 04-30-2015, 07:46 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Reviews enjoy

http://absolutesounds.com/pdf/main/p...I_HIFINEWS.pdf

http://www.sonusfaber.com/ContentsFi...iew_032015.pdf

http://www.sonusfaber.com/ContentsFi...erOlympica.pdf

http://www.sonusfaber.com/en-us/hi-f...ype=all&page=1

Interesting they rate them as sound quality at only 86%!!!! At the same time they say

"Verdict: Sonus faber has produced its best speaker since the Stradivari. The sound is commanding yet capable of great delicacy, the soundstage huge, yet the imagery specific and precise. An achievement to rank with the Amati [HFN Sep ’06]."

Last edited by wse; 04-30-2015 at 07:51 PM.
post #480 of 509 Old 05-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone heard the veneres setup with tubes? I heard the Olympicas setup with an audio research amp and was blown away with how transparent and big the sound was. Never did I feel any consistency from one track to another. Each had its own vibe that effortlessly melded you into its soul. The salesman said he didn't like the Olympicas with the audio research and said they were a hundred times better with the mcintosh. He and I seem to have very similar taste and acknowledgment of what we're describing so I do believe him but at the same time he doesn't live with them. I have venere 3.0's and SOMETIMES I feel like some songs sound the same but I don't think its because of the speakers. Yes the soft dome is a little lacking in the crystally and airiness department with some instruments but then again when I bought them, that was was one of the main reasons. I just think now in order to take them to the next level I need a decent amp instead of just running them out of my receiver. So to me, the audio research has what I wanted because of its ability to be true to the music so I'm curious what would make the mcintosh a better match. If it's a swing in the Frequency response that just elevated the bass then I'll pass. Any one here able to cope wity what I'm saying and maybe be able to give me an answer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page