Sonus Faber Owners Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2015, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Dang I wish I could afford to put a surround system together consisting of some of those beauties.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post
Has anyone heard the veneres setup with tubes? I heard the Olympicas setup with an audio research amp and was blown away with how transparent and big the sound was. Never did I feel any consistency from one track to another. Each had its own vibe that effortlessly melded you into its soul. The salesman said he didn't like the Olympicas with the audio research and said they were a hundred times better with the mcintosh. He and I seem to have very similar taste and acknowledgment of what we're describing so I do believe him but at the same time he doesn't live with them. I have venere 3.0's and SOMETIMES I feel like some songs sound the same but I don't think its because of the speakers. Yes the soft dome is a little lacking in the crystally and airiness department with some instruments but then again when I bought them, that was was one of the main reasons. I just think now in order to take them to the next level I need a decent amp instead of just running them out of my receiver. So to me, the audio research has what I wanted because of its ability to be true to the music so I'm curious what would make the mcintosh a better match. If it's a swing in the Frequency response that just elevated the bass then I'll pass. Any one here able to cope wity what I'm saying and maybe be able to give me an answer?
Maybe I'm too skeptical, but I don't trust most salespeople since they push what they have more of in their storeroom or what gives them the best mark-up. BestBuy/Magnolia especially seems to push mcintosh. So there may not be a good reason your salesperson is pushing mc over AR. The best advice is for you to go with whatever sounds best to your ears!!! IMO, my Olympicas sound great with Parasound Halo amp/preamp, but to be honest, I didn't compare the amp/preamp to other brands. For what it's worth, I always thought AR had a better reputation than mc. But I'm sure you can't go wrong with either choice. Just go by your own ears!
darthray and bthrb4u like this.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:11 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Dang I wish I could afford to put a surround system together consisting of some of those beauties.
Me too
Old 05-04-2015, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
the italian speakers are awesome but I'm wondering how the China speakers compare Venere owners, any issues with these speakers? Sound, reliability, fit/finish?
Old 05-05-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragan35 View Post
the italian speakers are awesome but I'm wondering how the China speakers compare Venere owners, any issues with these speakers? Sound, reliability, fit/finish?
I used to have a pair of Grand Piano Homes (also made in China, replaced in the SF line by the Veneres), and they were outstanding. Excellent build quality, fit , finish, and (above all) sound. I also heard the Venere 3.0's at a nearby Magnolia, and they also looked and sounded great. You really can't go wrong with any SF speakers!
Old 05-05-2015, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
I used to have a pair of Grand Piano Homes (also made in China, replaced in the SF line by the Veneres), and they were outstanding. Excellent build quality, fit , finish, and (above all) sound. I also heard the Venere 3.0's at a nearby Magnolia, and they also looked and sounded great. You really can't go wrong with any SF speakers!
The Grand Pianos were NOT made in China. Only the Venere line is.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post
The Grand Pianos were NOT made in China. Only the Venere line is.
Sorry, I thought they were. In any case, they were great speakers, and so are the Veneres.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can any SF expert please tell me the matching center channel for the SF Concertino bookshelf, it's 6-ohm load.
I'm looking for the Toy Center 'cuz I thought it's the closest match but it's hard to find.
Any others from different brand?
Note: I'm not happy with the Energy RC-LCR that I just recently got.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I have the Venere 2.5 and center in black. Fit and finish are very good indeed.

They sound good, but need more equalization than I thought they would. They are nice to look at and the REL makes a great companion with them.
tinhvo likes this.

nuke
Old 06-22-2015, 06:07 PM

Today one of my dreams came true. These beauties now grace my mancave!

More later! But I had to share the news!
fatuglyguy and kamouflage like this.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Congrats on the new speakers! How long have you been wanting to get them?

PSN ID: javant86
Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
Old 06-23-2015, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Damn!
Those are gorgeous!!!
Congratulations!
Old 06-23-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
Congrats on the new speakers! How long have you been wanting to get them?
Thank you! I have been dreaming about a pair ever since I laid eyes on the original Stradivari, more than 10 years ago. The Elipsa SE is a relatively new model, and an upgrade from the "standard" Elipsa (which is now discontinued and was part of the Cremona line, and a model I always loved as well). It contains many design choices and elements of the Stradivari, including the same tweeter and gorgeous, "violin red" lacquer finish. It's been my dream speaker [even more so than the Strads, mostly due to its more "room friendly" (... and wallet-friendly!) form factor] ever since I saw and heard a pair at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest a few years ago.

I am still pinching myself!
mpedris and kamouflage like this.

Last edited by Esteban Medaglia; 06-23-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post
Thank you! I have been dreaming about a pair ever since I laid eyes on the original Stradivari, more than 10 years ago. The Elipsa SE is a relatively new model, and an upgrade from the "standard" Elipsa (which is now discontinued and was part of the Cremona line, and a model I always loved as well). It contains many design choices and elements of the Stradivari, including the same tweeter and gorgeous, "violin red" lacquer finish. It's been my dream speaker [even more so than the Strads, mostly due to its more "room friendly" (... and wallet-friendly!) form factor] ever since I saw and heard pair at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest a few years ago.

I am still pinching myself!
I think you just convinced me to keep saving for a pair of Olympica's. I had decided they were just too much and I was going to settle for something cheaper but I might as well buy once and then keep them for the next 20 years. May take me an extra 5, 6, 7, or heck 10 years like you but at least I won't keep thinking "what if"!

PSN ID: javant86
Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
Old 06-23-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I think you just convinced me to keep saving for a pair of Olympica's. I had decided they were just too much and I was going to settle for something cheaper but I might as well buy once and then keep them for the next 20 years. May take me an extra 5, 6, 7, or heck 10 years like you but at least I won't keep thinking "what if"!
That is exactly what I did. I went from the Toy Towers all the way to the Elipsa SE! I knew I would have regretted it otherwise.

Go for it!

PS: I considered the Olympica III, but you'd be surprised at how close the prices are between that model and the Elipsas if you know where to look. Plus, the Elipsas work better in small rooms, and are more sensitive and a less demanding amplifier load as well.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I think you just convinced me to keep saving for a pair of Olympica's.
I recently upgraded from the SF Grand Piano Homes (similar to the Venere 2.5/3.0) to the Olympica IIIs. Easily the best speakers I have ever heard (not that the Grand Pianos were bad). My last upgrade!
Old 06-24-2015, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Congrats. Those are beautiful. I bet they sound beautiful with those tubes
Old 06-24-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Congrats. Those are beautiful. I bet they sound beautiful with those tubes
Thanks, but I actually have solid state amp and preamp (Parasound Halos).
Old 06-25-2015, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Talking about estaben's setup bill. Think I saw saw violin reds with a tube setup. Not sure, out with the boys
Old 06-29-2015, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
First time poster here. Looking for some advice from this group.

Found a pair of SF Venere 3.0 Floor model at a local Best Buy for $2000. Been in the showroom for a year. They claim it had about 20 min of play time per day & about 100 - 120 hours total. BB selling a brand new pair for $3K while other local shops sell for $3500. Do you think it's a good deal or not given

a) floor model - no way to verify how long. But the unit looks perfect. No chip or damage I can see.

b) made in China

c) new SF Chameleon T (made in Italy!) will be selling for $2K

d) heard that Venere 4.0 will be made in Italy & priced at $5K to "bring up the perception of the currently China-made Venere products"

e) Music I like - classical (orchestra), pop (U2, Depeche Model, Maroon 5, Michael Jackson), rock (Bon Jovi), jazz etc. (everything : )

f) 60% for music, 40% for movies

g) I have a great room with 14 ft width & 15 ft length (up to seating area) and 24 ft length (including my open kitchen back of the seating area) with hardwood floor (no rug)

I've auditioned Venere 2.5, GoldenEar Triton 5 & 3, B&W 683 S3, CM8, CM9, Monitor Audio Silver 6 & Paradigm 85F. 85F is sweet but outside of my price range. Wasn't expecting to get to the Venere 3.0 price range but the floor model brought it down to my price range. And I love the Venere 3.0 sound : )

What do you think?
Old 06-30-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If they look and sound great, then go for it. If there was damage to them, it should be fairly obvious. They are great speakers, and if you like their sound, it's a great deal ($1500 off list).
Old 06-30-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchangavs View Post

d) heard that Venere 4.0 will be made in Italy & priced at $5K to "bring up the perception of the currently China-made Venere products"
Did not know they were coming out with a Venere 4.0. Interesting... Was this a comment made by a Best Buy / Magnolia rep? I assumed that the new Chameleon line was to replace the Venere line entirely, and that it was an implied (if not explicit) "apology" of sorts for the made in China line. A way for them to "rectify" the "wrong turn" they took, while at the same time cater to a younger, trendier demographic. This is no criticism of the Venere line itself, mind you. But it does seem that the plan backfired on Sonus faber and sales of the Venere models were not what they expected. You can see them heavily discounted at Magnolia, and they even showed up on Music Direct's latest flyer. Sonus faber sold via a mail-order company? Unheard of. Even one as reputable as Music Direct...

All in all, I thought the writing was on the wall. Not sure if keeping both the Venere and the Chameleon line in simultaneous production makes much sense, however...

Last edited by Esteban Medaglia; 06-30-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Talking about estaben's setup bill. Think I saw saw violin reds with a tube setup. Not sure, out with the boys
Hi bthrb4u. Yes, I am using a Prima Luna DiaLogue One tube integrated with the Elipsa SE's. I have only had the speakers for a week, but the Prima Luna was a great match for my Toy Towers, and so far it seems that the chemistry is there as well with the Elipsas.

PS: I am considering selling the Toy Towers. Not 100% sure yet, though, since I really love them and I may keep them for a second system, but would listen to offers. Please PM if interested.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:02 AM

The comment about the Venere 4.0 (made in Italy & coming out later this year) was from Sumiko, the distributor. He also said that they are keeping the entire Venere line, including 3.0 etc. The 4.0 is designed to bring up the reputation of the Venere line. It will cost $5K a pair.

That's the dilemma I'm facing - Venere 3.0 vs. Chameleon T. $5K is over my price range.

Venere 3.0 should have better material than Chameleon T because a) it has a higher price point, b) made in China (cheaper labor cost). THe Sumiko guy also said Venere 3.0 sounds better than Chameleon T. So, do I go for better sound quality but made in China stigma at a reasonable price point? If I don't like it, can I resell it a couple of years at a reasonable price? I guess my margin of error is reasonable since I'm getting it at $2K.

Thoughts and comments? Any Venere 3.0 owner out there who can comment on their experience with the speakers?
Old 06-30-2015, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 18
As a happy owner of the 2.5s, I would recommend you grab those 3.0s.

I think the whole China assembly concern is WAY overblown. They are great speakers, period. I am not so sure they are speakers to be apologized for...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post
As a happy owner of the 2.5s, I would recommend you grab those 3.0s.

I think the whole China assembly concern is WAY overblown. They are great speakers, period. I am not so sure they are speakers to be apologized for...

Thanks for your response. May I ask which receiver you are driving your 2.5s?

I've grabbed the latest Pioneer SC91 (with HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 & Atmos support, no DTS:X though) for $1K from BB. I played the old SC81 with the 3.0 and it worked very well. My price range is in the $1K-$1.5K. I've looked at Anthem 310 but the lack of HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 support is concerning when I'm shelling out north of $1.2K for the 310 & even more for 510. Don't have 4K TV now but expect to get one in the next 3-5 years. Can't afford to upgrade receivers all the time : )

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your response. May I ask which receiver you are driving your 2.5s?

I've grabbed the latest Pioneer SC91 (with HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 & Atmos support, no DTS:X though) for $1K from BB. I played the old SC81 with the 3.0 and it worked very well. My price range is in the $1K-$1.5K. I've looked at Anthem 310 but the lack of HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 support is concerning when I'm shelling out north of $1.2K for the 310 & even more for 510. Don't have 4K TV now but expect to get one in the next 3-5 years. Can't afford to upgrade receivers all the time : )

Thanks.
Marantz sr7008

Old 06-30-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post
Marantz sr7008

Thanks.

Are you happy with it?

What about 7008's lack of HDMI 2.0 or HDCP 2.2 support? Do you care about it or do you have ways to address that if and when you have 4k?
Old 06-30-2015, 03:53 PM

Sonus Faber Owners Thread

Quote:
Thanks.

Are you happy with it?

What about 7008's lack of HDMI 2.0 or HDCP 2.2 support? Do you care about it or do you have ways to address that if and when you have 4k?

I'm very happy with it...I've had it for a couple of years now. Running it with a Panasonic TC-P65ST60 plasma, so 4k is not in my cards right now.

If you are looking at Marantz, the SR7009 is the currently available comparable model...not sure about the HDMI and HDCP compatibility you are interested in, though...

If those Venere 3.0s are in good shape, and you are happy with the price, maybe you should go for it? I bought my 2.5s gently used from a reputable source with the warranty, and they were basically broken in when I got them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tgterm; 07-01-2015 at 09:32 AM.