Sonus Faber Owners Thread - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 48Likes
post #511 of 539 Old 07-08-2015, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
CONGRATULATIONS w share the same set-up.

My home office includes: Sonus Faber Elipsa SE with Prima-Luna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated
Would love to hear your impressions of the Prima Luna and Elipsa combo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 539 Old 07-08-2015, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
SONUS FABER LIUTO MONITOR VS B&W 683 S2

I am new member and joined just now. I have been reading this website forums for last few days. Pls help me if u can

I am upgrading to new Home theater and biggest confusion is speakers. Room size 16 x16feet. 80%movieI am new member and joined just now. I have been reading this website forums for last few days. Pls help me if u can

I am upgrading to new Home theater and biggest confusion is speakers. Room size 16 x16feet. 80%movies and 20%music. I have shortlisted following pls suggest in details pros and cons and what should I do.
Sonus faber liuto monitor book shelf 4 speakers + center. 2nd choice is B&W 683 s2 + htm61 + ds3 for surround.

Sonus faber original price is usd9800 and I am getting for usd 4900. It is brand new packed and was discontinued I think in 2012. No doubts is it genuine
B&W 5 speakers will cost me usd 3800.

money is not a problem but I am confused which is better for me. Some say liuto monitor book shelf is much better than 683 s2 towers and normally compare liuto monitor with B&W diamond series 805.

my doubt is whether book shelf speaker can deliver good bass for movies as compared to 683 s2 towera and though I have heard both at different Places but I am not an audiophile who can judge which sound was better.

I understand there might be lesser bass in liuto since they have 1 driver less and are bookshelf. But I plan to compensate this by buying a good subwoofer REL or Velodyne - if all of u suggest that sonus faber is a better deal.

I plan to add AVR of Onkyo 1030 or 3030 with this set up. Projector I have not decided but I will not put screen and use white wall base.

I need to decide immediately as the person is leaving country.

I have only auditioned sonus faber liuto monitor till now. When I went to b&w they only played 684 which I did not like and cm9 which I liked. But I tried these at different Places hence I am Confused whether I should buy liuto monitor or 683 s2 give my above set up and preferences.

Pls help mes and 20%music. I have shortlisted following pls suggest in details pros and cons and what should I do.
Sonus faber liuto monitor book shelf 4 speakers + center. 2nd choice is B&W 683 s2 + htm61 + ds3 for surround.

Sonus faber original price is usd9800 and I am getting for usd 4900. It is brand new packed and was discontinued I think in 2012. No doubts is it genuine
B&W 5 speakers will cost me usd 3800.

money is not a problem but I am confused which is better for me. Some say liuto monitor book shelf is much better than 683 s2 towers and normally compare liuto monitor with B&W diamond series 805.

my doubt is whether book shelf speaker can deliver good bass for movies as compared to 683 s2 towera and though I have heard both at different Places but I am not an audiophile who can judge which sound was better.

I understand there might be lesser bass in liuto since they have 1 driver less and are bookshelf. But I plan to compensate this by buying a good subwoofer REL or Velodyne - if all of u suggest that sonus faber is a better deal.

I plan to add AVR of Onkyo 1030 or 3030 with this set up. Projector I have not decided but I will not put screen and use white wall base.

I need to decide immediately as the person is leaving country. Pls if u have any experience

I have only auditioned sonus faber liuto monitor till now. When I went to b&w they only played 684 which I did not like and cm9 which I liked. But I tried these at different Places hence I am Confused whether I should buy liuto monitor or 683 s2 give my above set up and preferences.

Pls help me
post #513 of 539 Old 07-08-2015, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchangavs View Post
The comment about the Venere 4.0 (made in Italy & coming out later this year) was from Sumiko, the distributor. He also said that they are keeping the entire Venere line, including 3.0 etc. The 4.0 is designed to bring up the reputation of the Venere line. It will cost $5K a pair.

That's the dilemma I'm facing - Venere 3.0 vs. Chameleon T. $5K is over my price range.

Venere 3.0 should have better material than Chameleon T because a) it has a higher price point, b) made in China (cheaper labor cost). THe Sumiko guy also said Venere 3.0 sounds better than Chameleon T. So, do I go for better sound quality but made in China stigma at a reasonable price point? If I don't like it, can I resell it a couple of years at a reasonable price? I guess my margin of error is reasonable since I'm getting it at $2K.

Thoughts and comments? Any Venere 3.0 owner out there who can comment on their experience with the speakers?
The fact the Venerea are showing up on Music direct tells the present generation is being discontinued and a line carrying the Venere name will appear, made in Italy.
post #514 of 539 Old 07-08-2015, 08:43 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post
Would love to hear your impressions of the Prima Luna and Elipsa combo!
I really like it. The sound is a bit warm but non fatiguing even when I listen for hours on. They shine with instrumental music especially guitars like ( Jesse Cook, Andres Segovia, NovaMenco, Oscar Lopez, Strunz & Farah, Johannes Linstead, Al Di Meola)

It also sounds wonderful, very lush and rich with classical music like Violin Concertos from Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, Mozart, I love this album as well "Souvenir Tchaikovsky

Finaly it does a great job with female voices as well it seems tuned for female voices like Sade, Jem, Erin McCarley, Mylene Farmer, Annie Lenox....

I used to have Classé CP-800 with a Classe amp it was too bright with these speakers in that room.

Hope this helps. I sit about 71/2 feet away from the speakers
post #515 of 539 Old 07-09-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I really like it. The sound is a bit warm but non fatiguing even when I listen for hours on. They shine with instrumental music especially guitars like ( Jesse Cook, Andres Segovia, NovaMenco, Oscar Lopez, Strunz & Farah, Johannes Linstead, Al Di Meola)

It also sounds wonderful, very lush and rich with classical music like Violin Concertos from Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, Mozart, I love this album as well "Souvenir Tchaikovsky

Finaly it does a great job with female voices as well it seems tuned for female voices like Sade, Jem, Erin McCarley, Mylene Farmer, Annie Lenox....

I used to have Classé CP-800 with a Classe amp it was too bright with these speakers in that room.

Hope this helps. I sit about 71/2 feet away from the speakers
Thank you for the feedback! I have only had the Elipsas for about 2 weeks, and I am still experimenting with set-up and positioning, so it would be foolish of me to formulate an opinion at this point, but I have to say that I basically share your views 100%. I also sit about 7/8 feet from the tweeters. These are great speakers for vocalists, strings, classical and jazz. My own taste is a little more on the eclectic side, though. I love classical (mostly of the "dark" variety, such as Penderecki, Gorecki, etc, but also symphonic and grandiose... Grieg, Wagner, Mozart, Brahms, Langaard, etc), jazz (from Chet Baker to John Zorn, and from Coltrane to Avishai Cohen), soundtracks (one of my big passions) and also heavy metal, progressive rock, post-rock, and even black metal.

I love my Prima Luna integrated, but sometimes I get the feeling that a little extra power would be beneficial with the Elipsas (not, however, with my previous speakers, the Sonus faber Toy Towers, which are an easier load). This only happens when listening to hard rock, progressive metal, etc. It's interesting to note, however, that even though we sometimes crave more power when using such a high quality speaker while listening to a demanding recording or musical style (it happens to me when I listen to something like Dream Theater or Mogwai or Iron Maiden and I crank it to 11, for example), your experience with the Classé amp reminds me that this also often results in a fatiguing and overly bright sound. Solid state can fix one thing while creating other sets of problems. Your comments is appreciated, then! Your Prima Luna has double the power of my DiaLogue One, though, so you may not get the "I need more power" itch as often as I do. Having said that, my room is small, and I find that a volume setting around 9 o'clock is usually more than enough. In fact, I find myself listening at lower than usual (for me) volume levels and finding this really satisfactory.

Here are a few more images!

fatuglyguy likes this.

Last edited by Esteban Medaglia; 07-09-2015 at 08:57 AM.
post #516 of 539 Old 07-09-2015, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Awesome pictures! Makes me wish I hit the lotto so I could buy a house and get my Olympica III's that I want. At least I'm halfway to where you are with a VT60. Such a nice tv, even my mother-in-law tells people how nice of a picture it has.

PSN ID: javant86
Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
post #517 of 539 Old 07-09-2015, 03:54 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback! I have only had the Elipsas for about 2 weeks, and I am still experimenting with set-up and positioning, so it would be foolish of me to formulate an opinion at this point, but I have to say that I basically share your views 100%. I also sit about 7/8 feet from the tweeters. These are great speakers for vocalists, strings, classical and jazz. My own taste is a little more on the eclectic side, though. I love classical (mostly of the "dark" variety, such as Penderecki, Gorecki, etc, but also symphonic and grandiose... Grieg, Wagner, Mozart, Brahms, Langaard, etc), jazz (from Chet Baker to John Zorn, and from Coltrane to Avishai Cohen), soundtracks (one of my big passions) and also heavy metal, progressive rock, post-rock, and even black metal.

I love my Prima Luna integrated, but sometimes I get the feeling that a little extra power would be beneficial with the Elipsas (not, however, with my previous speakers, the Sonus faber Toy Towers, which are an easier load). This only happens when listening to hard rock, progressive metal, etc. It's interesting to note, however, that even though we sometimes crave more power when using such a high quality speaker while listening to a demanding recording or musical style (it happens to me when I listen to something like Dream Theater or Mogwai or Iron Maiden and I crank it to 11, for example), your experience with the Classé amp reminds me that this also often results in a fatiguing and overly bright sound. Solid state can fix one thing while creating other sets of problems. Your comments is appreciated, then! Your Prima Luna has double the power of my DiaLogue One, though, so you may not get the "I need more power" itch as often as I do. Having said that, my room is small, and I find that a volume setting around 9 o'clock is usually more than enough. In fact, I find myself listening at lower than usual (for me) volume levels and finding this really satisfactory.

Sweet! The Classe pre/pro was digital but the amp CA-2100 was analog. I would love to try a Pass Labs class A amp but the prices are exorbitant and also very inefficient.

I might be able to try the combination with the Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 with RoomPerfect room correction technology. http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/tdai-2170

I havea question when you look on the back of the speaker is it written Elipsa or Elipsa SE? I have a tag in the front that says Elipsa Red

I am sure you have seen this but just in case.

http://www.tonepublications.com/revi...ber-elipsa-se/

Last edited by wse; 07-09-2015 at 05:09 PM.
post #518 of 539 Old 07-09-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
Awesome pictures! Makes me wish I hit the lotto so I could buy a house and get my Olympica III's that I want. At least I'm halfway to where you are with a VT60. Such a nice tv, even my mother-in-law tells people how nice of a picture it has.
Thank you for the nice words! And trust me, this was a significant expense for me as well, and one I have been planning (and dreaming about) for years and years. Patience!

Yes, the VT60 is an amazing TV. The more I read about the latest LCD's and even the OLEDs, with all their bugs and limitations, the more I regret not buying a second one for the living room when they were crazy cheap on Amazon! (I actually DID buy a second one, then got buyer's remorse and returned it... Still kicking myself now that they go for $5K+!)
post #519 of 539 Old 07-10-2015, 04:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Has anyone directly compared the Elipsa-SE versus Olympica III?
post #520 of 539 Old 07-10-2015, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Speaker wires

Any interesting combination of speaker wires that has worked well for you guys?

Minimac=>iTunes+AudirvanaPlus=>Chordette HD=> MRX 510=>Sonus faber Auditor M
post #521 of 539 Old 07-10-2015, 02:16 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Has anyone directly compared the Elipsa-SE versus Olympica III?
I heard both and liked them both if I was doing a new HT I would use Olympica III all around nine of them
post #522 of 539 Old 07-10-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I have a question when you look on the back of the speaker is it written Elipsa or Elipsa SE? I have a tag in the front that says Elipsa Red
[/B]
Yes, mine is the same: Elipsa "Red" on the front of the speaker itself, just plain "Elipsa" on the back, by the binding posts, and the shipping box as well (and the model is actually referred to as Elipsa "SE" almost everywhere else.... gotta love those Italians!)
post #523 of 539 Old 07-11-2015, 09:38 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, mine is the same: Elipsa "Red" on the front of the speaker itself, just plain "Elipsa" on the back, by the binding posts, and the shipping box as well (and the model is actually referred to as Elipsa "SE" almost everywhere else.... gotta love those Italians!)
I find interesting that not all two pairs are the same color some are more Red than others!
post #524 of 539 Old 07-11-2015, 09:41 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidya46 View Post
Any interesting combination of speaker wires that has worked well for you guys?
Seriously, Cables! Treating the room will do a lot more good than switching cables. I have an old pair of 5 feet Kimber Cable 12TC that I bought used many year ago for 10% of the MSRP
laserjock II likes this.
post #525 of 539 Old 07-11-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I find interesting that not all two pairs are the same color some are more Red than others!
True! Goes to show that these are really hand-crafted!
BacHolz likes this.
post #526 of 539 Old 07-12-2015, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cool

Quote:
Seriously, Cables! Treating the room will do a lot more good than switching cables. I have an old pair of 5 feet Kimber Cable 12TC that I bought used many year ago for 10% of the MSRP
Mine is a hand me down pair from Bestbuy..Maybe I should buy atleast something decent..
Alas the room is the shared family room and cannot be modified with sound absorbers etc

I can get Kimber cables from audiogon.
Any other suggestions on what you guys are using in your system would be appreciated

Thanks

Minimac=>iTunes+AudirvanaPlus=>Chordette HD=> MRX 510=>Sonus faber Auditor M
post #527 of 539 Old 07-12-2015, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Well after seven months of bs we got into our new house! We're still doing a lot of unpacking but I had to see how my speakers were going to sound with my new bigger room. Sooo much better. There really isn't a first reflection point for the right speaker because it's a large arch way, there's probably a good 15-20 feet from home theater couch to the back wall. Just need an area carpet for the floor and a couple acoustic panels for the left and ceiling. Also I need to finish setting up the surrounds, center, sub. We spent all our saved money on stuff for around the house so I'm not going to be able to get my projector till next year probably. I'm just so much more happy with the sound. My old apartment was doing terribly nasty things to the sound. It's hard to believe how horrific the layers of reflections gunk up the sound. I knew it was bad but no idea it was that bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1436714149352.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	826090   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1436714173690.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	826098  
post #528 of 539 Old 07-12-2015, 02:32 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidya46 View Post
Mine is a hand me down pair from Bestbuy..Maybe I should buy atleast something decent..
Alas the room is the shared family room and cannot be modified with sound absorbers etc

I can get Kimber cables from audiogon.
Any other suggestions on what you guys are using in your system would be appreciated

Thanks
I use these Mogami W3104 with my KEFLS50 and B&W 802Diamond

http://www.markertek.com/product/w31...er-wire-per-ft

or these as well

http://www.performanceaudio.com/item/mogami-w3103/5639/

Other people like Canare cables as well http://www.markertek.com/category/Bu...ica&Display=25

or Belden

Last edited by wse; 07-12-2015 at 02:36 PM.
post #529 of 539 Old 07-16-2015, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Venere S

Here are the new Venere Signature (S) Towers that fit between the 3.0s and the Olympics in the SF lineup.

http://www.sonusfaber.com/en-us/products/venere-s

Last edited by Invictus87; 07-16-2015 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Didn't finish post.
post #530 of 539 Old 07-17-2015, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

I have a pair of black venere 3.0 and center for sale pick up or delivered if compensated and not too far. I paid $4200 for them with tax in March. Mint condition looking to get around $3500. Pm if interested
post #531 of 539 Old 07-17-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post
I have a pair of black venere 3.0 and center for sale pick up or delivered if compensated and not too far. I paid $4200 for them with tax in March. Mint condition looking to get around $3500. Pm if interested
What happened, thought you liked them? I know you recently moved, did how big they are in the new space change your mind?

post #532 of 539 Old 07-17-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Are we allowed to post for-sale items here? If so, I have a pair of mint Toy Towers looking for a new home.
post #533 of 539 Old 07-17-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Are we allowed to post for-sale items here? If so, I have a pair of mint Toy Towers looking for a new home.
There is a classifieds section for posting ads but I don't think letting folks know you have an item in there is an issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/208-classifieds/

post #534 of 539 Old 07-17-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
There is a classifieds section for posting ads but I don't think letting folks know you have an item in there is an issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/208-classifieds/
Thank you!
post #535 of 539 Old 07-17-2015, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

I love them but my new house has a couple things going on with it that requires more money than I have atm. The wife was concerned about getting rid of them because she loves them just as much as I do but it would be better to do it now than at income tax next year. I'll just get the venere signatures at income tax.
post #536 of 539 Old 07-17-2015, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

And yes I do know about the classifieds but I was in a hurry this morning and forced self to put them up on here instead of stalling. I will put them up in the classifieds later. I figured more people interested in veneres would be here than in the classifieds. BTW I am in Pennsylvania. I'll be sure to leave a link when I get them up
post #537 of 539 Old 07-17-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I love them but my new house has a couple things going on with it that requires more money than I have atm. The wife was concerned about getting rid of them because she loves them just as much as I do but it would be better to do it now than at income tax next year. I'll just get the venere signatures at income tax.
Man that sucks but I understand, somehow life is always throwing us curve balls. I'm sure the Signatures will be a worthwhile upgrade thought when you're able to replace them!

Quote:
And yes I do know about the classifieds but I was in a hurry this morning and forced self to put them up on here instead of stalling. I will put them up in the classifieds later. I figured more people interested in veneres would be here than in the classifieds. BTW I am in Pennsylvania. I'll be sure to leave a link when I get them up
I was just answering the question of the guy I responded to but I agree with where you're coming from. Not going to get much better exposure than in the Sonus Faber thread. Might want to throw it up on Audiogon, US Audiomart, and Craigslist too.

post #538 of 539 Old 07-19-2015, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Had to sacrifice a little bit of optimum 2 channel speaker placement to better correspond with the home theater aspect. However, now that I've got the center, surrounds and subwoofer hooked up and audyssey going I'm really enjoying the Dolby prologic 2 music mode. This time when I ran audyssey all the settings it came up with were spot on and I didn't need to pull out the spl meter and sound doctor cd what so ever. I mean I did just to see how accurate it was but I didn't need to make any adjustments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1437323938916.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	837506  
post #539 of 539 Unread Today, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone power their Venere speakers with a vintage Marantz amp? I just brought home a pristine Marantz 2325 (god it's beautiful) and have some white Venere 3.0's on the way from SF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page