Sonus Faber Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 48Likes
post #541 of 561 Old 08-16-2015, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Budget amp for SF Toys?

I am looking for a budget (price comparable with the price of small Toys, around $1000, or less) integrated amp for using in a small room system for listening mostly classical on low to mid volumes. Any suggestions for solid states? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 561 Old 08-17-2015, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sonus Faber Venere

Hi Guys,

Relatively new to the forums, so please let me know if I have posted incorrectly or something.

I am not a Sonus Faber owner yet, but I intend to be . I have my eyes set on the Venere 2.5 but I am trying to get them for the best price. However, having read some previous posts, it sounds like maybe this line didn't do as well as they wanted and it might be cleared out or phased out soon (with the Venere S and the Chameleons coming out)?

If so, should I wait for the prices on these to drop? If that does happen, what might it drop to? The last thing I'd want is to buy them and suddenly see that they are cleared out for cheaper. I have already seen Best Buy / Magnolia put the Venere 3.0 on sale.

Any suggestions on how to get these speakers for the best price? I would consider used ones as the prices are better but I am pretty new to the audiophile game so I am a bit weary of going that route.

Thanks!
post #543 of 561 Old 08-17-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogerboosh View Post
Hi Guys,

Relatively new to the forums, so please let me know if I have posted incorrectly or something.

I am not a Sonus Faber owner yet, but I intend to be . I have my eyes set on the Venere 2.5 but I am trying to get them for the best price. However, having read some previous posts, it sounds like maybe this line didn't do as well as they wanted and it might be cleared out or phased out soon (with the Venere S and the Chameleons coming out)?

If so, should I wait for the prices on these to drop? If that does happen, what might it drop to? The last thing I'd want is to buy them and suddenly see that they are cleared out for cheaper. I have already seen Best Buy / Magnolia put the Venere 3.0 on sale.

Any suggestions on how to get these speakers for the best price? I would consider used ones as the prices are better but I am pretty new to the audiophile game so I am a bit weary of going that route.

Thanks!

The Venere line is not going anywhere. The Chameleon line is really to try and get younger people interested in Sonus Faber. Yes they are built in Italy, but that doesn't mean the Venere's aren't still a great speaker.

As of right now the Venere line is not on sale at Magnolia. Just from personal experience I would save a little more money and jump up to the 3.0 there is quite a difference between the 3.0 and 2.5. Also if you are auditioning them at a Magnolia in the large room with all the speakers in it, I would ask to here them in the Premium room where the speakers can be connected directly to an amplifier rather then going through a big switching board. You will really get a feel for what the speaker is capable of that way.

Good Luck,

Steve
post #544 of 561 Old 08-17-2015, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have a pair of 3.0 in black with center channel for sale. If pick up I am asking $3 thousand but can deliver too. I will put them up on eBay for around $3200
post #545 of 561 Old 08-18-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I thought you loved those,why are you selling?

Also.. Are the Chameleon's ever coming out?
post #546 of 561 Old 08-18-2015, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
I thought you loved those,why are you selling?

Also.. Are the Chameleon's ever coming out?
I do love them but my new house Is very big and I'm afraid of the heating bill once winter gets here so I am looking to purchase a pellet or coal stove and a couple pallets of wwhatever fuel. This whole owning a house thing is getting expensive lol
post #547 of 561 Old 08-18-2015, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

So your not gonna have any speakers? Yes,owning a house is very expensive..sigh.
post #548 of 561 Old 08-18-2015, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So your not gonna have any speakers? Yes,owning a house is very expensive..sigh.
I have my old kefs which were good speakers but a bit bright and edgy in the highs. The tweeter had a brass like timbre.
They will work for home theater use till Income tax and if the new venere S can bring more detail to the table for the extra cost then they will be mine.
post #549 of 561 Old 08-18-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Holy crap,the Venere S is not cheap. That's 5k just for the floor standers. The center channel has to be around $1200-$1500. Ouch!
post #550 of 561 Old 08-19-2015, 03:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Holy crap,the Venere S is not cheap. That's 5k just for the floor standers. The center channel has to be around $1200-$1500. Ouch!
There are still the Venere 2.5's and 3.0's for less. They are positioning the Venere S between those older Veneres and the Olympicas (which are even more than the S).
post #551 of 561 Old 08-19-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
As far as I know Sonus Faber isn't going to be adding a center channel that will mate with the Venere "S". I honestly wish they would because the Venere center will be over powered by the "S" as the front main speakers in a surround sound config.
post #552 of 561 Old 08-19-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

That's what I kind of thought Bill.. That was the 1st thing that came to mind,but they still aren't cheap. But they are made in Italy. I almost bought the Venere 2.5's,but I'm not really fond of the shape. The top almost reminds me of the Alien head in the movie Aliens. Stupid I know..lol
post #553 of 561 Old 08-19-2015, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

That should make them more attractive you LowTech1;32335225!
post #554 of 561 Old 08-23-2015, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Anyone know when the Chameleon's are coming out? From all the pictures I see,they never have grills on them either. Do they not come with grills?
they have grills. watch from 7:07

anyone already using them? i'm considering getting them, but a little bit worried they are only 4 ohms and won't work well with an avr.
post #555 of 561 Old 08-23-2015, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal_ View Post
anyone already using them? i'm considering getting them, but a little bit worried they are only 4 ohms and won't work well with an avr.
Personally, I would not pair 4 ohm speakers with an amp or AVR that is not rated at 4 ohms. You may be OK, but you also may have problems (and the speakers probably dip well below 4 ohms at times). Why not go with the Venere series, that are 6 ohm speakers? They should be fine. For years, I ran SF Grand Piano Home towers (6 ohm speakers) with a Rotel amp only rated at 8 ohms in the specs, without a problem. When I recently upgraded to SF Olympicas (4 ohm speakers), I upgraded the amp to a Parasound Halo A21 which is rated for both 8 ohms and 4 ohms.
post #556 of 561 Old 08-23-2015, 06:03 AM

oh, actually the manual says "Use speakers with an impedance of 4 – 16 Ω/ohms", so it looks like this might be not an issue. i'll check out the venere series, though, thanks.
post #557 of 561 Old 08-23-2015, 08:38 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal_ View Post
they have grills. watch from 7:07 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEfDQcqLKWs

For anybody interested, I have a pair of Toy Towers in mint-condition for sale on the Classifieds section of this forum. They are 8 ohms and a very easy load. They sounded fantastic with a Marantz SR 5005 receiver, and even better with a 35 WPC tube integrated. I upgraded to the Elipsa SE, and that is why I am parting with the Toys, but for the price they are an insanely great speaker. Please message me for details if interested.
post #558 of 561 Old 08-25-2015, 01:05 PM

ok, so looks like the avr can drive 4-ohm speakers, but i'm still worried what if they go lower than 4. can't afford an additional amp right now, so avr will have to do. is there any graph of chameleons' impedance level vs. frequency? there are no reviews, no owners. i wrote to SF, but no reply yet. risky towers
post #559 of 561 Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM

Liked: 10
Sonus Faber S

Hi,
Just wanted to get everyone opinion. I have the 3.0 and have the option to upgrade to the "S" for different in price. The 3.0 made in china, the S made in italy. Would this worth the upgrade. I am running minds with a REL S3 sub system and they sound great now, but wondering if the sound would be worth an additional $2500 or so. Let me know your thoughts as I cannot fine any reviews on them.
post #560 of 561 Unread Today, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

What are you crossing over to your sub at?
post #561 of 561 Unread Today, 07:00 AM

Liked: 10
Sonus Faber S

I have the sub crossing at about 40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page