Sonus Faber Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 66Likes

post #631 of 768 Old 12-28-2015, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The Toy Tower was similar to the Grand Piano, minus one woofer. I owned a pair for almost 5 years and they were spectacular and a bargain at their price. In a small room, they are simply terrific. I upgraded to the Elipsa SE's at about 10 times the price, but, if I have to be completely honest, they are not 10 times as good by any means. I love the Elipsas, of course, but the Toy Towers were special as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 768 Old 12-28-2015, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a pair of Olympica III's arriving tomorrow. I need some amp recommendations please. Looking for at least 250 watts per channel.

I can get good pricing on the NAD M22, ATI AT6002, Parasound A21, and possibly Mcintosh MC302. Any thoughts on those. How about other brands? I am not interested in Emotiva.
post #633 of 768 Old 12-29-2015, 05:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlba View Post
I have a pair of Olympica III's arriving tomorrow. I need some amp recommendations please. Looking for at least 250 watts per channel.

I can get good pricing on the NAD M22, ATI AT6002, Parasound A21, and possibly Mcintosh MC302. Any thoughts on those. How about other brands? I am not interested in Emotiva.
I answered you in the amp section. I drive my Olympica III's with the A21/JC2-BP combo.
post #634 of 768 Old 01-01-2016, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I think I've narrowed my search down to either the Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 Bookshelf or the 2.5 towers. I haven't been able to listen to the 2.0's in person, the audio shops only can order them for me so I haven't been able to compare the two. Curious for anyone who's heard both what your impressions were and which one you'd recommend going with? With the stands for the 2.0's they come out to being almost the same price as the 2.5 towers (can find those discounted more). Room is maybe 20x14 open to the dining and kitchen areas. I'll also be using a Rhythmik sub and the Venere center along with some surrounds to be determined in a 5.1 or 5.2 setup (1 sub with towers, 2 with the bookshelves).

If anyone has a black set for sale as well I'd be interested.

Thanks

My setup: Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 and center, Ascend HTM200SE surround, dual Rythmik L12's, Pioneer SC-95, Samsung PN60F8500
post #635 of 768 Old 01-14-2016, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Anyone had the chance to listen to them? How do they compare to the 3.0? I'm curious to know since the reviews are still inexistent. Thank you!

It's not about output, it's about having headroom and a smooth response across multiple seats. And output a little bit.

DUAL 18" Dayton RSS460HO Custom Build | Klipsch WF-35 | Klipsch WC-24 Centre | Klipsch WS-24 Sides | HSU VTF-15H | Denon AVR-X4100W | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 | JVC RS-46 w/ 128" Elunevision 16:9 1.4 | Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels
post #636 of 768 Old 01-14-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
Anyone had the chance to listen to them? How do they compare to the 3.0? I'm curious to know since the reviews are still inexistent. Thank you!
To listen to which ones?

I've got the 2.5's now and just watched Oblivion on bluray using the towers as full range. These things have some serious bass output. It was a little muddy in the lowest notes, but wow I'm seriously debating not using a sub since I'm in a condo.

Now I'm wondering if I should swap them for the 3.0's while I'm in the return window. I've heard the 3.0's will have cleaner bass, but the specs only show it going 2hz lower than the 2.5's. Do you think it's worth the $1k to step up to the 3.0's or just get a sub and keep the 2.5's since I'm really happy with them?

My setup: Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 and center, Ascend HTM200SE surround, dual Rythmik L12's, Pioneer SC-95, Samsung PN60F8500
post #637 of 768 Old 01-14-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmlamb View Post
To listen to which ones?
Sorry about that, I was talking about the Venere S that are made in Italy. Glad to hear to you like your 2.5s!

It's not about output, it's about having headroom and a smooth response across multiple seats. And output a little bit.

DUAL 18" Dayton RSS460HO Custom Build | Klipsch WF-35 | Klipsch WC-24 Centre | Klipsch WS-24 Sides | HSU VTF-15H | Denon AVR-X4100W | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 | JVC RS-46 w/ 128" Elunevision 16:9 1.4 | Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels
post #638 of 768 Old 01-16-2016, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Chamelon T speakers?

Hey Guys,
Just wondering if anyone knows how these sound, quality of build etc....
Thinking of getting them for my two-channel listening room.
I have the NAD 356Bee amp which I hope would be ok with the 4 ohm speakers.

Thanks guys....
post #639 of 768 Old 01-26-2016, 09:24 AM

Did anybody had the chance to listen to the Venere S? I was wondering if they would still integrate well with the Venere Center since they seem to have a different design and different drivers? Would the 3.0 be a better match for HT?

Thank you!

post #640 of 768 Old 01-26-2016, 09:27 AM

Did anybody had the chance to listen to the Venere S? I was wondering if they would still integrate well with the Venere Center since they seem to have a different design and different drivers? Would the 3.0 be a better match for HT?

Thank you!

post #641 of 768 Old 01-26-2016, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have owned the 2.5 and moved up to the 3.0. I am running them off an NAD 787 receiver. The lower end on the 3.0 are must better then the 2.5. To me the build is also better. I got them in white and I will try and post pictures later. I have listen to them with and with the sub. If I lived in an apartment I would not think their would be a need for a sub. But if you have a large listening area and don't have to worried about neighbors then I would used a sub. I run mines with an REL S3 sub. Powerful.
post #642 of 768 Old 01-26-2016, 11:03 AM

If you're running a sub(s), I'd go with the 2.5 and put the extra $1000 you'll save toward a second or even bigger sub. You could get two Rhythmik F12 SE's to fill in the low end, the 2.5's, and the center for the price of the Venere S. If you cross over the subs at 60 or 80hz like most do you will get a very marginal (if any) benefit from the 3.0 vs the 2.5. The Venere S is made in Italy vs the rest of the Venere lineup, so it's probably got a nicer build quality, but otherwise will sound similar to the rest of the family just with a better low end. I haven't heard it, but it wouldn't make sense for them to make the S sound completely different than the rest of the Venere line. Metal woofers and an extra driver for even more low end performance with some Italian craftmanship is what you'll get by stepping up to the S.

For Home Theater 2.5's and more/bigger subs are the way to go. For 2.0 music listening, the 3.0 or S will be better.

The Venere towers are fairly lightweight for their size, and don't sound that solid from a knuckle rap test. But somehow they lyre shape does seem to actually work to reduce resonances because even cranking some rap music I didn't feel any cabinet resonance when I placed my fingers on the sides of the speakers. Unscientific I know, but it helped satisfy the worry I had about their weight and design.

I've got the 2.5's with the center and the low end is great, in fact if I weren't worried about damaging the speakers from super low LFE signals (beginning of interstellar) I'd seriously consider not purchasing a sub at all. The center is only "ok", I wish they had a 3 way with a tweeter over midwoofer design available. If you have a Magnolia best buy near you that carries the Sonus Faber line, take home the 2.5's for an audition for 15 days, if you find them lacking in the bass dept then swap them out for the 3.0's. Just don't base your opinion on how they sound at Magnolia, their setups are awful (mine had the speakers about 20 feet apart with 9 other towers all in a row).

Last edited by brianmlamb; 01-26-2016 at 11:08 AM.
post #643 of 768 Old 01-26-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
If you're running a sub(s), I'd go with the 2.5 and put the extra $1000 you'll save toward a second or even bigger sub. You could get two Rhythmik F12 SE's to fill in the low end, the 2.5's, and the center for the price of the Venere S. If you cross over the subs at 60 or 80hz like most do you will get a very marginal (if any) benefit from the 3.0 vs the 2.5. The Venere S is made in Italy vs the rest of the Venere lineup, so it's probably got a nicer build quality, but otherwise will sound similar to the rest of the family just with a better low end. I haven't heard it, but it wouldn't make sense for them to make the S sound completely different than the rest of the Venere line. Metal woofers and an extra driver for even more low end performance with some Italian craftmanship is what you'll get by stepping up to the S.

For Home Theater 2.5's and more/bigger subs are the way to go. For 2.0 music listening, the 3.0 or S will be better.

The Venere towers are fairly lightweight for their size, and don't sound that solid from a knuckle rap test. But somehow they lyre shape does seem to actually work to reduce resonances because even cranking some rap music I didn't feel any cabinet resonance when I placed my fingers on the sides of the speakers. Unscientific I know, but it helped satisfy the worry I had about their weight and design.

I've got the 2.5's with the center and the low end is great, in fact if I weren't worried about damaging the speakers from super low LFE signals (beginning of interstellar) I'd seriously consider not purchasing a sub at all. The center is only "ok", I wish they had a 3 way with a tweeter over midwoofer design available. If you have a Magnolia best buy near you that carries the Sonus Faber line, take home the 2.5's for an audition for 15 days, if you find them lacking in the bass dept then swap them out for the 3.0's. Just don't base your opinion on how they sound at Magnolia, their setups are awful (mine had the speakers about 20 feet apart with 9 other towers all in a row).
Well, I am currently running 2 subs, a HSU VTF15H and a Paradigm PW 2200. I could go for the 3.0 instead of the S and with the money I save, buy another VTF15H and discard the Paradigm. As for the 2.5, I like the idea of having a midrange driver. Or I could just go for the Venere S... Get the better speaker now and add a sub later?

post #644 of 768 Old 01-26-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Well, I am currently running 2 subs, a HSU VTF15H and a Paradigm PW 2200. I could go for the 3.0 instead of the S and with the money I save, buy another VTF15H and discard the Paradigm. As for the 2.5, I like the idea of having a midrange driver. Or I could just go for the Venere S... Get the better speaker now and add a sub later?
Well if Budget is no concern I'm sure the Venere S are quite nice and have some cool tech like the reflex port. They are 4 ohm though vs 6 for the 2.5 and 3.0 so if you don't have an external amp you might want to consider one.

What's odd is if you look at the crossovers on Sonus Website:

Venere S:
CROSS-OVER
Non-resonant “progressive-slope” design, optimazed phase response for optimal space/time performance, “paracorss topology” on every network. (Nano-technology deposition on the pcb rails). Cross-over point: 250Hz – 2500 Hz.

Venere 2.5:
CROSSOVER POINT
250 Hz - 2.500 Hz

Venere 3.0:
CROSSOVER POINT
180-220-2.300 Hz

FWIW the 2.5 is a 2 and a half way so it has a bass driver from 40-250hz, a mid from 250-2500hz, and the tweeter takes over from there. So it does have a dedicated midrange, it's just a 7" woofer instead of the 6" mid with phase plug. What it's missing is the extra bass driver vs the 3.0. At least this is my understanding, someone correct me if I'm wrong as I'm still learning about crossovers.
post #645 of 768 Old 01-26-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Well if Budget is no concern I'm sure the Venere S are quite nice and have some cool tech like the reflex port. They are 4 ohm though vs 6 for the 2.5 and 3.0 so if you don't have an external amp you might want to consider one.

What's odd is if you look at the crossovers on Sonus Website:

Venere S:
CROSS-OVER
Non-resonant “progressive-slope” design, optimazed phase response for optimal space/time performance, “paracorss topology” on every network. (Nano-technology deposition on the pcb rails). Cross-over point: 250Hz – 2500 Hz.

Venere 2.5:
CROSSOVER POINT
250 Hz - 2.500 Hz

Venere 3.0:
CROSSOVER POINT
180-220-2.300 Hz

FWIW the 2.5 is a 2 and a half way so it has a bass driver from 40-250hz, a mid from 250-2500hz, and the tweeter takes over from there. So it does have a dedicated midrange, it's just a 7" woofer instead of the 6" mid with phase plug. What it's missing is the extra bass driver vs the 3.0. At least this is my understanding, someone correct me if I'm wrong as I'm still learning about crossovers.
Interesting indeed. The more I read about the Venere S, the more I see that it is a different design and components from the rest of the Venere line. That could be a good thing for 2 channel listening, but not so sure about HT... I am worried that they will stand out from the rest. Can't wait to have a review!

post #646 of 768 Old 01-26-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Interesting indeed. The more I read about the Venere S, the more I see that it is a different design and components from the rest of the Venere line. That could be a good thing for 2 channel listening, but not so sure about HT... I am worried that they will stand out from the rest. Can't wait to have a review!
For whatever reason, their more expensive lineups use a lot more "fluffy" words to describe things. Like the tweeter in the Venere S has a different description than the rest of the lineup, but they're both made by DKM and they're both 29mm. The only difference may be that the Venere has some extra rubberized sound deadner ring used to mount it. If you use Audyssey or something similar, for Home theater they should integrate fine with the rest of the lineup.

Venere S:
TWEETER
29mm high definition precoated fabric dome driver. DKM dome diaphragm visco-elastically decoupled from the baffle. Sonus faber design.

Venere 3.0:
TWEETER
29 mm high definition precoated fabric dome driver with no ferrofluid. Sonus faber design
post #647 of 768 Old 01-31-2016, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I finally found a retailer me that had the Venere S for demonstration, and I loved the sound. Are they easy speakers to drive? My concern is that it is a 4ohm speaker, and my new Denon x4200 may be "outgunned". I'm curious how those of you with Sonus Faber tower speakers, and especially the Venere line, power your setup. This speaker purchase basically "breaks" my discretionary bank until Fall, so I can't just run out and grab a $600-$1000 amplifier. I'm swaying between the Paradigm Prestige (8 ohm rating), or the Sonus Faber Venere S.

**These speakers would be for a 3.0 system (3.1 max). I usually run my speakers at 50% max volume, never more than 70%. Usage is heavily skewed toward Home Theater.**

DENON Owner's Manual for x4200, 7.1 system
The amplifier section features 7 identical amp channels each with high current discrete output delivering 125 watts per channel, along with true low impedance drive capability that easily handles 4ohm speakers.

Speaker impedance
4 - 16 ohms

165 watts per channel
(6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%, 2ch driven)

125 watts/channel
(8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.05%, 2ch driven)

--------------------
jdsmoothie response: "
any of the 2015 models can power 4-ohm speakers a nominal volume levels; however, as you raise the volume above 60/-20db or so, the AVR may shut down in protection mode..."
--------------------
Denon CSR response: "speaker impedance is nominal, and can vary from lower than 4 to over 20. The Denon x4200 is able to power 4 ohm speakers well. Common sense should be used when adjusting volume control, as, in general, it is easier to overdrive an amplifier with 4 ohm speakers than with 6, 8, or above."

Thank you for your input!
post #648 of 768 Old 02-01-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousWarrior View Post
I finally found a retailer me that had the Venere S for demonstration, and I loved the sound. Are they easy speakers to drive? My concern is that it is a 4ohm speaker, and my new Denon x4200 may be "outgunned". I'm curious how those of you with Sonus Faber tower speakers, and especially the Venere line, power your setup. This speaker purchase basically "breaks" my discretionary bank until Fall, so I can't just run out and grab a $600-$1000 amplifier. I'm swaying between the Paradigm Prestige (8 ohm rating), or the Sonus Faber Venere S.

**These speakers would be for a 3.0 system (3.1 max). I usually run my speakers at 50% max volume, never more than 70%. Usage is heavily skewed toward Home Theater.**

DENON Owner's Manual for x4200, 7.1 system
The amplifier section features 7 identical amp channels each with high current discrete output delivering 125 watts per channel, along with true low impedance drive capability that easily handles 4ohm speakers.

Speaker impedance
4 - 16 ohms

165 watts per channel
(6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%, 2ch driven)

125 watts/channel
(8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.05%, 2ch driven)

--------------------
jdsmoothie response: "
any of the 2015 models can power 4-ohm speakers a nominal volume levels; however, as you raise the volume above 60/-20db or so, the AVR may shut down in protection mode..."
--------------------
Denon CSR response: "speaker impedance is nominal, and can vary from lower than 4 to over 20. The Denon x4200 is able to power 4 ohm speakers well. Common sense should be used when adjusting volume control, as, in general, it is easier to overdrive an amplifier with 4 ohm speakers than with 6, 8, or above."

Thank you for your input!
I'm in almost the same boat as you and plan on going with the Venere S, Center and Walls to complete a 5.1 system. You had the chance to listen to the Venere S (lucky you), how do they compared to the 3.0 or the rest of the line?

I did played a pair of 2.0 and Center with my Denon AVR-X4100 and they played well. They are lot harder to power than my Klipsch, but the sound quality is worlds apart. Since the 2.0 are 6ohm nominal, but less sensitive that the Venere S (88dB/w vs. 90 dB/w), my guess is that our Denons should be able to deal with them with reasonable volume.

The only problem I see in your case is that you won't bass manage them for movies. In bass heavy scenes, your Denon might take a beating, compress (clipping) or go in safe mode (shut off). In either case, external amplification should be a priority.

post #649 of 768 Old 02-01-2016, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I was unable to demo the Venere 3.0, as they only had the Venere S and the 2.5 available. There was a significant difference between the two, especially in terms of creating a "sound wall". Sequences with heavy bass were especially divergent, with the S series pulling well ahead. I would not go so far, however, as to say that the Venere S is worth the $2000 premium based on sound quality alone.

But when you couple fit-and-finish with sound quality, then the Venere S absolutely becomes worth the premium.

Extrapolating from what I heard with the 2.5, I think the sweet spot in the series is probably the 3.0, if the customer is focused mostly on sound stage. If aesthetics play an equally important role, than the Venere S is the best option.

I'm still torn because the Paradigm Prestige is also an absolute stunner, and currently comes with a free center for $1000 less than the Venere S. Fit and finish on the Prestige was on par with the Venere S. Unfortunately, both speakers needed to be demoed at different merchants, and the setup was significantly different in both the environment, and the electronics pushing the speakers.
post #650 of 768 Old 02-02-2016, 07:09 AM

FWIW I'm running the 2.5's and center with a Denon 2112ci and haven't had any issues with the receiver turning itself off or going into protect running them full range with no sub through the movie Oblivion (my Rhythmik is backordered). I'm planning to upgrade later this year once there are more hdcp 2.2 hdmi options available. Also if you're looking at the Venere line, magnolia best buy gave me 15% off the entire order.

Also the 2.5's sound 100x better in my home than they did when auditioning them at the store. They're very non-fatiguing even in my room that's prone to brightness due to a lot of reflective surfaces.
post #651 of 768 Old 02-02-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
FWIW I'm running the 2.5's and center with a Denon 2112ci and haven't had any issues with the receiver turning itself off or going into protect running them full range with no sub through the movie Oblivion (my Rhythmik is backordered). I'm planning to upgrade later this year once there are more hdcp 2.2 hdmi options available. Also if you're looking at the Venere line, magnolia best buy gave me 15% off the entire order.

Also the 2.5's sound 100x better in my home than they did when auditioning them at the store. They're very non-fatiguing even in my room that's prone to brightness due to a lot of reflective surfaces.
They are indeed soft and easy to listen to, more "romantic" and "emotional" kind of speakers if you know what I mean.

As for the receiver, good to know that your Denon can keep up. But I still believe that you will gain in dynamic range and authority with a more powerful amp, especially running them full range!

Last edited by jsgrise; 02-02-2016 at 08:45 AM.
post #652 of 768 Old 02-02-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
They are indeed soft and easy to listen to, more "romantic" and "emotional" kind of speakers if you know what I mean.

As for the receiver, good to know that your Denon can keep up. But I still believe that you will gain in dynamic range and authority with a more powerful amp, especially running them full range!
I agree on the sound, they're not the "in your face" type which makes them not sound as impressive during a quick demo, but I've found myself listening to music and enjoying it for much longer periods of time than I ever did before. I keep switching between audyssey calibrated 2.0 stereo and the direct modes. Audyssey stereo sounds better on most Rock and pop/top 40, but direct is preferred for Jazz, classical, and most female vocals I find.

I know a new receiver will make quite a difference, I'm really looking forward to upgrading. I've been looking at the Emotiva Pre's and amps, I know the next biggest issue I have is my untreated room, so Dirac live is pretty tempting albeit pricey to get anything with that feature. I might just do a setup with Audyssey xt32 like a newer Denon or Marantz and get an emotiva sa-250 for the fronts though. I have a lot of time to research still before buying anything.
post #653 of 768 Old 02-05-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I know the next biggest issue I have is my untreated room, so Dirac live is pretty tempting albeit pricey to get anything with that feature. I might just do a setup with Audyssey xt32 like a newer Denon or Marantz and get an emotiva sa-250 for the fronts though. I have a lot of time to research still before buying anything.
Why not treat your room first? I began working with XT32, than decided to treat the room. After treatment, I don't use Audyssey anymore, especially with speakers like the Sonus Faber Venere. There is no replacement for good acoustic and placement, it is a night and day difference.

post #654 of 768 Old 02-05-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Why not treat your room first? I began working with XT32, than decided to treat the room. After treatment, I don't use Audyssey anymore, especially with speakers like the Sonus Faber Venere. There is no replacement for good acoustic and placement, it is a night and day difference.
Well unfortunately my setup is in the living room of an open floorplan style condo, not a dedicated room. My wife's been very supportive of my hobbies, but has drawn the line at acoustic panels and bass traps. I can't honestly complain that much because my media setup already dominates a large portion of the space as it is. I may be able to get away with putting 2 panels behind the front speakers on that wall, but I'm not really sure if it'd make enough of a difference since the Venere's are front ported and I've got them about 15" from the wall toed in. The space to the left is an open hallway, the right has open space and goes to the dining room. Overall it's not terrible, but could be a lot better if I could control some of the reflective surfaces. Unfortunately that doesn't really work well with a modern minimalist decorating style. I love where we live, but if we ever decide to move I'd be looking for a dedicated HT room for sure. I do appreciate the advice on treating the room though, and I may explore some panels for that front wall if it would make an actual impact.
post #655 of 768 Old 02-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Dont give up on the acoustic panels. First thought is they are ugly - but actually there is some nice looking stuff out there that does a great job of masquerading as stylish, artsy home decor. Click on the images tab for some examples:
https://www.google.no/search?q=acous...els+decorative
post #656 of 768 Old 02-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Dont give up on the acoustic panels. First thought is they are ugly - but actually there is some nice looking stuff out there that does a great job of masquerading as stylish, artsy home decor. Click on the images tab for some examples:
https://www.google.com/search?q=acou...els+decorative
post #657 of 768 Old 02-05-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=acou...els+decorative
And they will make your living room more comfortable, relaxing room than an echo-filled room. I sometime sleep in my HT since it is so quiet!
brianmlamb likes this.

post #658 of 768 Old 02-17-2016, 05:52 PM

I'm curious to know if you guys have any suggestions for wall/ceiling mountable speakers (i.e. Polk TSi100) to complete a Venere set up for Atmos/DTS:X? I know the ideal would probably be the Venere Wall, but it seems a bit overkill?

Last edited by jsgrise; 02-17-2016 at 06:13 PM.
post #659 of 768 Old 02-27-2016, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Which sonus do you suggest in the $7,000 range

Last edited by blackjack616; 02-27-2016 at 09:12 AM.
post #660 of 768 Old 02-27-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I'm curious to know if you guys have any suggestions for wall/ceiling mountable speakers (i.e. Polk TSi100) to complete a Venere set up for Atmos/DTS:X? I know the ideal would probably be the Venere Wall, but it seems a bit overkill?
I'm using Ascend HTM-200SE's as surrounds with my front 3 venere's. The tweeter matches well and I haven't noticed any timbre mismatch. They're sealed so they're wall mountable, reasonably priced and high quality very neutral speakers. I debated between those and the Aperion verus forte satellites as I had heard of people using Aperion with the Sonus Fabre's with success. The Aperion's style matches the Venere line pretty well (curved cabinets, gloss black, matte facing, front ported). I ultimately went with the ascends because of several conversations with Dave the owner at Ascend, he was very helpful and willing to discuss the Sonus Faber brand with me and everyone raves about their products so I really wanted to hear a set for myself. They also have a true frequency response down to 80hz which is the most desired crossover IMO. I swapped them as the mains to try out before delegating to surround duty, they have no response below 80hz (which is fine), but have a really great top end that I'd say was just as clear and revealing as the Venere's. Aperion customer service never even answered my emails FWIW and they were twice as expensive as the Ascends.

I didn't do the Venere walls because they are overpriced, and way too large for the space I had to mount them (they're massive if you haven't checked the specs, way bigger than the center channel). Since I had to mount my surrounds near the back wall, I also liked that the tweeter was offset so I could position it further from the wall.

I'm debating adding atmos in the future as well, will probably get some more of the Ascends to do so but it'll be a year or two before that happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers