post #91 of 301 Old 12-30-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-3G View Post

Yup, sound is personal, and your ears may or may not agree with other people's ears. Some people like Fuji apples, while others like Granny Smith

The choice of speakers depends on what kind of music you listen to. I listen to classical so obviously I want speakers that can reproduce the sound of natural instruments faithfully. I don't want speakers that turn the sound of viola into cello, I want to be able to distinguish between the sound of big drum vs. double bass, etc. Both VA and SF do this very well. VA is warmer, while SF maintains warmth and more detail.

I use tubes because they sound beautiful and less fatiguing. I am very sensitive to piercing high frequency sound and some SS amps make violins very piercing, especially at higher volumes. Again, this is a personal experience, and does not apply to everyone.

Since mt14942 likes the sound of Mozart Grand, I think the BCG would make most sense. I used to have a pair of MG's myself, and I upgraded to the BCG and never looked back. The BCG has much sweeter highs, scale, and authority than the MG.

That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell. The BCG's have a larger sound (obviously, right?) to them. Mid-bass is much more accurate, with a bit more of a lush sound in comparison to the MG's. They will also play louder before compression sets in.

Just be sure you have the room to accommodate these speakers. They need a lot of space to breath, or they will just sound like oversized cans. Muffled, and boomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 301 Old 12-31-2009, 05:00 AM

Liked: 10
I have a pair of Concerto bookshelf speakers (bought them in 2001)
One of them has stopped working. The speakers look normal no cone damage. Is there a fuse that could have blown? I can not find any service company online. I live in Dillsburg, PA
post #93 of 301 Old 12-31-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks everybody for your interesting perspectives, on choosing the right speakers. Regarding being "more dynamic", this is a little bit the way I would describe the Classe SP-800 pre/pro compared to my previous Parasound Halo P7 m/c analog pre-amp, when it comes to bluray high resolution audio. I still go the analog route for cd's, m/c sacd & dvd-a music. I consider myself a hybrid when it comes to music listening preferences. I like a variety of music styles from country to classical and much in between. Right now I have been listening to female vocalist that are somewhat jazzy, bluesy or folksy like Norah Jones & Ingrid Michaelson's latest cd's. If I was just buying two front speakers I would choose the Cremona M's but I will not be changing the other speakers (Vienna Acoustics' Maestro center & Waltz surrounds) so I may have to give up a little when it comes to dynamics, for the sake of tonal & aesthetic compatibility. I actually was considering the Cremona M's because I thought they would still be a good match with my existing VA center and surrounds and they look very nice. Anyway this may all be a moot point since I am not sure how good my hearing is? I have one of those speaker break-in cd's designed to give your system a good work-out and one of the tracks is a low to high frequency sweep and my wife could still hear the higher frequencies a fair bit longer than I could. I think I heard somewhere that a females hearing is more acute when it comes to high frequency than males.
post #94 of 301 Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 AM

Will Sonus Faber have any new creations at CES next week ?
post #95 of 301 Old 01-09-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrystonFan View Post

Will Sonus Faber have any new creations at CES next week ?

New finishes for Liuto line!
post #96 of 301 Old 01-12-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello.

I have a few questions. I'm hoping if you folks can help.

I'm going to audition some Sonus Faber speakers over the next several weeks, starting off with the Toy Towers. I would like to audition a few models from Sonus Faber.

I'm looking for something that's a on the warm side, very musical and smooth. Of course I want nice detail, but I'm not into analytical sounding gear and speakers.

Does Sonus Faber still make speakers in the way I described, up above?

If so, which models? What models do you suggest?

Or have they changed their voicing/sound?

If I find what I'm looking for, I'll be matching them up with the McIntosh c220 tube pre amp and the McIntosh mc252 solidstate amp. Rega Saturn CDP and SOTA Comet as main sources.
post #97 of 301 Old 02-01-2010, 03:30 PM

FYI-
For those looking for a great deal on Concerto Domus, take a look at what Vanns just got in stock:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search
Priced individually it looks like.
post #98 of 301 Old 02-04-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjMV3 View Post

Hello.

I have a few questions. I'm hoping if you folks can help.

I'm going to audition some Sonus Faber speakers over the next several weeks, starting off with the Toy Towers. I would like to audition a few models from Sonus Faber.

I'm looking for something that's a on the warm side, very musical and smooth. Of course I want nice detail, but I'm not into analytical sounding gear and speakers.

Does Sonus Faber still make speakers in the way I described, up above?

If so, which models? What models do you suggest?

Or have they changed their voicing/sound?

If I find what I'm looking for, I'll be matching them up with the McIntosh c220 tube pre amp and the McIntosh mc252 solidstate amp. Rega Saturn CDP and SOTA Comet as main sources.

I think you'll find the family sound still very much alive 'thankfully' ......
Enjoy ....
post #99 of 301 Old 02-12-2010, 05:48 AM

Just finished listening today to a bunch of speakers!

Tangent EVO E45
Very beautiful sound, he then brought out the Toy Towers - I have to say had a very similar sound, but wow! We played them on a rotel avr and then swapped over to a Naim amplifier OH MY! fantastic upgrade in sound. It is making my completely rethink my new HT approach.. Thinking of getting a Onkyo 707 and pre outing to a dedicated stereo amp, he even said (can you confirm?) that a Pioneer A400 will sound better than ANY avr and if i ever see one s/h grab it!

How would you guys rate the Toy Towers to Dali Ikon 6/7?

I can't make my mind up!

Have listened to:

Toy Towers
Dali Ikon 6/7
Tangent Evo E45
Paradigm Monitor 6 / 9

I think i would be happy with any of them.... BUT what do you guys think?
post #100 of 301 Old 02-12-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrix View Post

Just finished listening today to a bunch of speakers!

Tangent EVO E45
Very beautiful sound, he then brought out the Toy Towers - I have to say had a very similar sound, but wow! We played them on a rotel avr and then swapped over to a Naim amplifier OH MY! fantastic upgrade in sound. It is making my completely rethink my new HT approach.. Thinking of getting a Onkyo 707 and pre outing to a dedicated stereo amp, he even said (can you confirm?) that a Pioneer A400 will sound better than ANY avr and if i ever see one s/h grab it!

How would you guys rate the Toy Towers to Dali Ikon 6/7?

I can't make my mind up!

Have listened to:

Toy Towers
Dali Ikon 6/7
Tangent Evo E45
Paradigm Monitor 6 / 9

I think i would be happy with any of them.... BUT what do you guys think?

Could you describe ho the Toy Towers sound?

Thank.
post #101 of 301 Old 02-12-2010, 06:36 AM

Well first impressions of the toy towers were:

Mmm are they a little muffled?
Nope hang on you can hear all the frequencies!!
The salesman of many years and knowledge said that everyone first thinks that about them.

I would describe them as having a unique colour to the sound. Having previously listen to the paradigms 7 / 9 I would say that the toys had better bass, a more subtle treble and a speaker that you would not get tired of listening to. I mainly used Tori Amos - Amber waves cd to audition all the speakers - they were def a little warm but using a quality amp they really opened up - i've read somewhere earlier in this thread that they don't get loud but for me they were plenty loud and we only have the amp up @ 65 (0-100) and that was plenty loud enough!

HTH
post #102 of 301 Old 02-12-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you, Mattrix.
post #103 of 301 Old 03-10-2010, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have had the toy towers and center channel since November. I can say nothing but great things about them. The highs are never harsh, mids are warmish, but not chesty. The bass is lacking only at the lowest of frequencies (<40-50hz), but that is what a subwoofer is for anyway. I have listened to all genre of music with total satisfaction (everything from Tchaichovsky to Zepplin). These modestly sized towers fill my 20x25x8 ft room with ease at near concert levels. In fact, the most commonly heard comment from visitors is that they can't believe so much sound comes out of them. Dynamic range is certainly one of the greatest strengths demonstrated by these gems.
post #104 of 301 Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 PM

I am in the process of deciding between a pair of the new Sonus Faber Cremona M's or an older pair (about 10 years old) pair of Sonus Faber Amati's in excellent condition. The pre-owned Amati's will cost me about $2,500 more, and I'm wondering which you guys prefer or think is a better speaker and why.

Thanks..
post #105 of 301 Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Heres a more dedicated forum to the Sonus for ya buddy...
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...5&page=1&pp=35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #106 of 301 Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 AM

Thanks Warp...
post #107 of 301 Old 03-16-2010, 08:12 PM

Hello friends,

I have been hooked by the Cremona Auditor for some time now, and am considering to get them from a local dealer is selling with stands for a decent discount. Not sure how old it is though, but it sounds amazing with the McIntosh rig.

However the choice of matching audio gear (within my budget ) is limited here, and currently the Bel Canto s300iu seems like a decent match to make a minimalist setup for enjoying my flac collection.

I haven't had a chance to audition this combination together yet, and would like your opinion on it

thanks
post #108 of 301 Old 03-24-2010, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnord View Post

Hello friends,

I have been hooked by the Cremona Auditor for some time now, and am considering to get them from a local dealer is selling with stands for a decent discount. Not sure how old it is though, but it sounds amazing with the McIntosh rig.

However the choice of matching audio gear (within my budget ) is limited here, and currently the Bel Canto s300iu seems like a decent match to make a minimalist setup for enjoying my flac collection.

I haven't had a chance to audition this combination together yet, and would like your opinion on it

thanks

I contemplated upgrading my Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand's to the Cremona M's before the holidays as a local dealer near me was letting his showroom speakers go for over 4 grand off retail. They had around 500 hours of play on them. I did audition them and they looked and sounded great and am pretty sure they would be a fair bit of an upgrade sound wise to my Mozart Grand's. I just wasn't completely sold that even with the good price (still almost 3 times as much as my Mozart Grand's) that they were even twice as good as them. Ultimately I didn't pull the trigger because I have VA's Waltz Grand surrounds and the Maestro Grand center and wanting to keep everything the same won out. Although I would think the Cremona M's would probably still blend in pretty well as far as looks go and the sound.
post #109 of 301 Old 03-31-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrix View Post

Well first impressions of the toy towers were:

Mmm are they a little muffled?
Nope hang on you can hear all the frequencies!!
The salesman of many years and knowledge said that everyone first thinks that about them....

If they have a balanced, flat frequency response then that's not surprising, if you had previously been auditioning/hearing some other "audiophile" speakers in a shop - I find most of such speakers to be hot/bright and I can't stand them for more than a few minutes because the high end gives me a headache.

One of the few "high end" recent speakers I'd been able to sit down and actually enjoy listening to was the Revel Ultima Salons. Nice clear high end without any harshness or fatigue

I've been reading through this thread with interest because I'm considering building some "clones" of the Toy speakers since it seems I can buy the midrange drivers quite inexpensively and also a similar tweeter. I happen to have what I believe are a dozen of the larger "Toy Tower" lower woofers already
post #110 of 301 Old 04-23-2010, 10:51 PM

As of 24 hours ago, I'm the proud owner of the acclaimed Sonus Faber line in purchasing a pair of their entry-level Toy Tower series. Picked up at local Magnolia store (thanks Dave!).

Currently driving these in traditional 2ch Stereo setup with new Denon 4310ci and Oppo BDP-83SE. Just spent a little while getting these properly positioned for my listening environment, and am getting blown away. These sound every bit as good as they did in the demo room, and then some...and they're just starting their break-in! The mids and highs are phenomenal, and the bass is able to reach surprisngly deep with the back of the speaker tucked closer toward the wall. These are extremely musical, and love producing all types of instruments from strings, horns, winds, etc. I'm hearing things in my music collection that I haven't heard before, and feel like I'll begin falling in love with new genres of music that compliment the classy and sophisticated sound that these speakers produce. Can't wait to see where they end up after full break-in in about a week from now :-D
post #111 of 301 Old 05-21-2010, 04:50 PM

You're welcome! I'm glad that you are enjoying them!
post #112 of 301 Old 06-05-2010, 09:22 PM

anyone using grand piano home speakers? if so, what kind of amp? anyone ever try tubes with them?
post #113 of 301 Old 06-08-2010, 03:08 PM

Hi all, I just noticed this thread about Sonus Fabers and I am thinking of buying a pair of Liuto towers. I am trying to find out what company makes the drivers for the Liuto. And does anyone know much about the internal construction of the Liuto. The Sonus Faber website does not provide this info and I'm the type of person that tries to gather as much info I can on a product before buying. I do know they are well made and sound wonderful, but it seems to me that their website is alot about the art and not too much into the construction. Thanks for any info, Don
post #114 of 301 Old 07-02-2010, 01:04 PM

Hey guys,
FYI, Vanns just got a great deal on a teak Concertino Domus pair with a free pair of stands.
Great wood finish, really sleek and refined. Outstanding audio from a demo I had as well. They've got them for sale on their site:
post #115 of 301 Old 07-05-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkevin View Post

Hey guys,
FYI, Vanns just got a great deal on a teak Concertino Domus pair with a free pair of stands.
Great wood finish, really sleek and refined. Outstanding audio from a demo I had as well. They've got them for sale on their site:

Great deal...
post #116 of 301 Old 07-16-2010, 03:32 PM

Looking to buy sonus faber liuto, it is an amazing speaker. I need your recommendation on where should I buy them. I am northern Virginia.
post #117 of 301 Old 08-06-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkevin View Post

Hey guys,

I got in on that as well, just got mine yesterday, the stands are HEAVY! Base is solid iron, weighs a ton, the pillar is lovely finished wood. I had a hard time putting the screws into the stands though, it took quite a bit of effort and I dont have a power screw driver. But its done now and it looks great. The speakers are smaller than what I had in mind based on the pictures. I also dont quite understand how the woofer is supposed to be 6". It looks much smaller in person.

The finish and build quality on the speakers are superb, and live up to Sonus Faber standards. I am driving them with Onkyo 9555 replacing Martin Logan Motion 4's. Keep in mind these are very early impressions, I'll post some more after some break in over the next week.

The Motion 4's are brighter, have more sizzle in top end, but can end up sounding a bit too bright with some music and heavy rock, metal will have cymbals dominate the music a bit too much. The Fabers are a lot more neutral sounding, and have a more airy, natural sounding treble.

The bass is lighter and not as deep on the Motion 4 which everyone knows I guess. At first when I saw the Faber's woofer, I wasnt sure if it was gonna do bass well, but to my surprise they sound quite full. You'll need a sub for the absolute lower end though, but nevertheless, they are quite impressive. Bass is not extremely tight though, I've heard the Cremona auditors and know what tight bass is like, these arent quite at the same level (obviously looking at the price tags). Bass drum on Steely Dan's Aja was much tighter and focussed on those, and Lee Ritenours - Wes Bound sounded great but I was yearning for a little more snap and control. But this may well be the amp's limitations showing or break in required on the speakers. This is usually an area where I see huge improvements with higher quality amps so I may well have to go in for something better.

The mids are where its at though. Definitely more natural sounding. The Motion 4's tend to sound forward and slightly thin in comparison, but they are tight and crisp, so no slouch, but the Fabers are a bit more relaxed and natural sounding, with music just flowing through.

So far so good I guess, I like that I was finally able to get a Sonus Faber speaker at my price point. Oh and also the color of the wood on the speaker isnt quite the same as whats shown in the picture on their site, theirs looks a bit more towards Maple than teak. The actual speaker is a proper shade of teak. Google teak and hit images and see the first one, color is like that.

Overall great deal I think, and the stands were the reason I jumped on these. They are made for each other so well, I cant imagine the Domus without them.
post #118 of 301 Old 08-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Well I did purchase a pair of new Liuto towers in piano black and WOW! They are amazing. The soft dome tweeter is very detailed and not harsh at all. The bass is all there due to the 9" woofer made of aluminum/magnesium. The Liutos make the instruments sound like they are in the room instead of listening to good speakers reproducing a performance. This is my first Sonus faber speaker and I can't imagine wanting anything else. Plus the footprint is smaller than my previous speakers so they do have a good WAF. Heck my wife also really wanted me to get these. They even look like a piece of art. Sorry for all the bragging but they're the best speakers I've ever owned. I would highly recommend them to anyone who wants to get into the Sonus faber sound and family.
post #119 of 301 Old 08-09-2010, 04:51 PM

Any pics?
post #120 of 301 Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 PM

Yeah I've got pics but they are too large and are being rejected when I go to post them. So I need to figure out how to make them smaller. Sorry. I'm not the most computer literate person.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page