Sonus Faber Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 289 Old 12-23-2008, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sweatynipples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey I noticed that there was no Sonus Faber owner's thread here to talk about this great Italian speaker. We just purchased the Cremona M speakers in black, but not after a seriously thinking about the Focal 37's. They were just too big for the room as you can see here:



These speakers will be paired with a Mark Levinson 433 amp (3 x 400 watts @ 4ohms) along with an anthem D2v2 pre/pro (which ships next week) and a Rel Subwoofer. The screen you see is a Pioneer kuro 141FD plasma. We can't wait for the results!


Any experiences with Sonus that you all care to share?
sweatynipples is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 289 Old 12-23-2008, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
the rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I own the original grand piano's (the ones that are a royal PITA to setup!)
I honestly don't like very many other speakers for music. I didn't use them much for nearly two years and finally went to sell them off. I hooked up a single one to a primare amp I had laying around to make sure it played right, ended up deleting my audiogon auction and sticking with them for music. Something about them always pulls me into the music like few other speakers ever have. I have a full martin logan home theater system but for music, it isn't my taste.

I love the cremona speakers, I wish I could afford them
the rick is offline  
post #3 of 289 Old 01-07-2009, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bigred7078's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
any experiences with the Sonus Faber Concerto Domus?
Bigred7078 is offline  
post #4 of 289 Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Member
 
The5thAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a pair of the Concertino Domus after auditioning a number of different speakers. I listened to the Concerto Domus as well. It sounded amazing. I would buy a pair of the Concertos if I had the space in my apartment.

I don't understand why Sonus Faber doesn't get more love in this forum. It's a great speaker!
The5thAce is offline  
post #5 of 289 Old 01-21-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
In2Photos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Monroe, NC
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I used to work for a company that sold Sonus Faber, as well as their Sumiko counterpart Vienna Accoustics. They were very nice speakers, but most of us preferred the Vienna. I wouldn't complain though if I had some sitting at my house!

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
In2Photos is offline  
post #6 of 289 Old 01-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Member
 
The5thAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I auditioned the Vienna Haydns as well and liked them, but I actually preferred the sound of the Sonus Fabers. Once I factored in the extra $$ that I'd have to pay for the Viennas, my decision made itself.
The5thAce is offline  
post #7 of 289 Old 01-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Member
 
T-3G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Went to my friend's house who has a pair of Minima Amators, and I really liked what I heard. We then went to a local Magnolia and auditioned Concertino Domus. Not in the same league as Minima Amators. We then auditioned Auditor M, and went "wow." The Auditor M is much more modern sounding, with more details, resolutions, and revelation. The quality of base as well as quantity was there. We then A/B'ed Auditor M and Grand Piano Domus since they were next to each other. They're roughly the same price (-$600 for GPD). I was expecting GPD to outperform the Auditor M, but nooooo.... When A/B'ed, the GPD sounded "muddier" and the vocal projected too large of an image. The Auditor M is overall hands down better.

But the price is just not right. MSRP $7,000 with the obligatory stand is just crazy for what you get. Unless you have a specific reason to buy it (ie wife only approves buying it for design reasons, etc.) then I would say there are better, cheaper alternatives out there. I think Sonus faber is a great speaker company, but a lot of what you pay for goes to the box, not to the sound itself. I'm sure to many people speakers are furniture and looks are just as important as sound, but if you are purely after sound then look elsewhere, like Vienna Acoustics.
T-3G is offline  
post #8 of 289 Old 01-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Newbie
 
chachjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I just recently purchased the concertino domus and domus center speakers. They sound great but I just had a question for other owners of the domus line of speakers. I noticed on my concertino pair that the woofers are of a different material in comparison to those on the center domus. The center domus' dual 6" woofers look just like in the pictures and brochures (typical paper coated cone with textured look on the surface(?) of the cone with vented phase plug). On the concertino speakers although the woofers have the phase plug, the surface of the cone looks different. They are smooth (not textured as in the center) looking and are shiny, appearing similar to some of the poly material woofers ive seen from other manufacturers. From far away the speakers look very similar (center and concertinos) since the woofers are black on both with the phase plugs.

So I asked my dealer about this difference and he said he had no idea and my pair were the first that he had seen like that (on the concertinos). So I called sumiko (distributor of SF in US) and someone in the tech department told me that SF recently made the change in some of their domus speakers since the new woofer had better power handling capabilities. I was concerned about issues with timbre matching (as I use these for HT as well) but he assured me that the speakers sounded the same as they would with the old woofer in the concertinos. I can't really argue with that as from my experiences so far listening to movies with panning scenes, the soundstage is seamless and I haven't come across anything odd at all.

My question to fellow AVSers is whether anyone else has the new woofers in their domus concertino speakers, or in the grand piano or concerto speakers? Thanks for reading this long post and I appreciate any responses as I am curious to see if the change has spread throughout the domus line. First picture shows same woofer as on my center channel and also on the concertinos I auditioned at the dealer. The second photo shows the woofer on my concertinos with new woofer material.



chachjr is offline  
post #9 of 289 Old 01-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Member
 
The5thAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-3G View Post

Went to my friend's house who has a pair of Minima Amators, and I really liked what I heard. We then went to a local Magnolia and auditioned Concertino Domus. Not in the same league as Minima Amators. We then auditioned Auditor M, and went "wow." The Auditor M is much more modern sounding, with more details, resolutions, and revelation. The quality of base as well as quantity was there. We then A/B'ed Auditor M and Grand Piano Domus since they were next to each other. They're roughly the same price (-$600 for GPD). I was expecting GPD to outperform the Auditor M, but nooooo.... When A/B'ed, the GPD sounded "muddier" and the vocal projected too large of an image. The Auditor M is overall hands down better.

But the price is just not right. MSRP $7,000 with the obligatory stand is just crazy for what you get. Unless you have a specific reason to buy it (ie wife only approves buying it for design reasons, etc.) then I would say there are better, cheaper alternatives out there. I think Sonus faber is a great speaker company, but a lot of what you pay for goes to the box, not to the sound itself. I'm sure to many people speakers are furniture and looks are just as important as sound, but if you are purely after sound then look elsewhere, like Vienna Acoustics.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I do not share it. Some of us who buy Sonus actually buy it for great sound in addition to fantastic construction. Sonus owners aren't all just blind shoppers who buy because our wives tell us to do so. I paid less for my pair of Concertino Domus than I would have paid for VA Haydns, and I like the sound of the Concertinos better.
The5thAce is offline  
post #10 of 289 Old 01-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Member
 
T-3G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thAce View Post

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I do not share it. Some of us who buy Sonus actually buy it for great sound in addition to fantastic construction. Sonus owners aren't all just blind shoppers who buy because our wives tell us to do so. I paid less for my pair of Concertino Domus than I would have paid for VA Haydns, and I like the sound of the Concertinos better.

Don't get me wrong, I made my self clear by saying I like the sound/looks of Sonus faber; I just think they're overpriced.
T-3G is offline  
post #11 of 289 Old 01-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Member
 
Zaffren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a pair of Grand Piano Domus, and I love the sound of these speakers with both movies and music. I haven't seen anything that looks nearly as beautiful except other Sonus Faber speakers. I will admit they're a bit shy on the vocals at low volumes. I power them with a Pioneer Elite SC-09TX which is a great match (I know 390 watts to 200 watt speakers is overkill). They're no Cremona Ms but they still cause me to wish they would turn off those noise makers they call speakers at my favorite restaurants, stores, and hang outs! I know these speakers are definitely not for everyone, but I would suggest anyone who hasn't heard them should give them a listen.



I bought my speakers towards to end of 2008, and they are textured mids with smoother subs.

If the A/V world was simple it probably wouldn't be worth the investment.
Zaffren is offline  
post #12 of 289 Old 01-26-2009, 05:16 AM
Newbie
 
chachjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


I bought my speakers towards to end of 2008, and they are textured mids with smoother subs.

Thanks for adding Zaffren. Thats interesting. I've never seen the grand piano in person, but those speakers look great! The larger woofers in your speakers look exactly like the 6" woofer in my concertinos (you captured it much better than my crappy camera phone). I purchased my speakers a couple of weeks ago, maybe this change was really recent decision by sonus faber.
chachjr is offline  
post #13 of 289 Old 02-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Member
 
T-3G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New Sonus faber:

monitor ($3,000/pr)



luito ($6,000/pr)



smart

T-3G is offline  
post #14 of 289 Old 02-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Member
 
The5thAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for posting those pictures. I like the look of the new series, but I'm wondering if they are worth twice the price that I paid for my Domus Concertinos a few weeks ago. I'm guessing not, but I suppose I'll just have to wait to hear them for myself.
The5thAce is offline  
post #15 of 289 Old 02-15-2009, 03:54 AM
Member
 
T-3G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I auditioned the new Toy speaker on Saturday. I liked it more than Concertino Domus. I'm now seriously considering buying a pair.
T-3G is offline  
post #16 of 289 Old 02-28-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hardwired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 1,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-3G View Post

I auditioned the new Toy speaker on Saturday. I liked it more than Concertino Domus. I'm now seriously considering buying a pair.

T-3,
What did you like about the Toy over the Concertino Domus?

Any info on the drivers used on the new Sonus faber Monitor and when these will be available?

I used to have Signums and Concertos and liked the scanspeak and vifa drivers used in those models. I auditioned the original Cremona (not M) and did not care for the sound. Noticably different sound than the previous classics.

Using Dynaudio now, but miss the old sonus...

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
hardwired is offline  
post #17 of 289 Old 03-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Member
 
Zaffren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the smart speak supposed to be a surround and center channel speaker?

If the A/V world was simple it probably wouldn't be worth the investment.
Zaffren is offline  
post #18 of 289 Old 03-04-2009, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hardwired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 1,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I spoke to Sumiko and they didn't know about this new line and the 'monitor'. The Toy is apparently the new model but entry level compared to the Domus.

How does the Grand Piano Domus and the GP Concerto Domus compare to the Grand Piano Home? Anyone compare these speakers.

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
hardwired is offline  
post #19 of 289 Old 03-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Newbie
 
Nikon1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear all,

I recently moved to Japan, and my Gravis subwoofer came with me. I read that it is possible to change the voltage from 220 V to 115 V, but in Sonus Faber did not want to tell me how to do. Does someone know ?

I have another basic question: if you have carper on the floor what kind of stand do you have to put ? cone ? cylindrical ?

Thanks,

Davide
Nikon1975 is offline  
post #20 of 289 Old 04-01-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hardwired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 1,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon1975 View Post

Dear all,

I recently moved to Japan, and my Gravis subwoofer came with me. I read that it is possible to change the voltage from 220 V to 115 V, but in Sonus Faber did not want to tell me how to do. Does someone know ?

I have another basic question: if you have carper on the floor what kind of stand do you have to put ? cone ? cylindrical ?

Thanks,

Davide

David,

My Sonus faber stands have spikes with small balls formed at the tips. I have used on carpet and wood floors without any problems.

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
hardwired is offline  
post #21 of 289 Old 04-01-2009, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hardwired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 1,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwired View Post

I spoke to Sumiko and they didn't know about this new line and the 'monitor'. The Toy is apparently the new model but entry level compared to the Domus.

How does the Grand Piano Domus and the GP Concerto Domus compare to the Grand Piano Home? Anyone compare these speakers.


FYI
New Liuto speaker line is up on Sonus faber website.

Anyone see or hear these yet in the states?

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
hardwired is offline  
post #22 of 289 Old 04-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave Carr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They had their world premiere at CES 2009, and the first retail debut at Magnolia Audio Video in Seattle last month. I haven't heard them yet, but I have it on good authority that they are very nice step up from Domus, and more like the sound of 'classic' Sonus faber.
Dave Carr is offline  
post #23 of 289 Old 04-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Newbie
 
mindaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi - new poster here. Thanks for the great info.

I'm interested in hearing thoughts on the Toy monitors vs. Domus Concertinos. I'm trying to pick between the two. Suprisingly - A local dealer is trying to clear out a floor demo pair of the Concertino w/ Stands for $1,281. The newer Toy monitor is going for $1,235 (no stand). Has anyone heard both. I auditioned both - they were similar but I thought the the Concertinos were a bit more full range....

I have a mid size listening room - plan on paring with Peachtree Nova (when it ships).

Thanks,
mindaddy is offline  
post #24 of 289 Old 04-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave Carr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindaddy View Post

Hi - new poster here. Thanks for the great info.

I'm interested in hearing thoughts on the Toy monitors vs. Domus Concertinos. I'm trying to pick between the two. Suprisingly - A local dealer is trying to clear out a floor demo pair of the Concertino w/ Stands for $1,281. The newer Toy monitor is going for $1,235 (no stand). Has anyone heard both. I auditioned both - they were similar but I thought the the Concertinos were a bit more full range....

I have a mid size listening room - plan on paring with Peachtree Nova (when it ships).

Thanks,

If you haven't already seen it, find Michael Fremer's review of Toy theater in the latest issue of Home Theater Magazine. I can't wait to hear the Toy Tower!
Dave Carr is offline  
post #25 of 289 Old 04-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave Carr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Liuto Tower is coming to the Santa Clara Magnolia Audio Video the 2nd week of May, for those of you that want to hear it!
Dave Carr is offline  
post #26 of 289 Old 05-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Member
 
T-3G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwired View Post

T-3,
What did you like about the Toy over the Concertino Domus?

The sound from the Toy was closer to the Classic line, which I prefer. The Domus can sound muddy and congested. It's not bad, but for that price point they can do better. I love the Domus look, though.

So... I actually went ahead and bought a pair of Toy monitor speakers. They are cute little speakers, perfect for my iPod setup on my desktop. Won't use them in a big room, but perfect for my den.
T-3G is offline  
post #27 of 289 Old 05-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave Carr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-3G View Post

The sound from the Toy was closer to the Classic line, which I prefer. The Domus can sound muddy and congested. It's not bad, but for that price point they can do better. I love the Domus look, though.

So... I actually went ahead and bought a pair of Toy monitor speakers. They are cute little speakers, perfect for my iPod setup on my desktop. Won't use them in a big room, but perfect for my den.

Lovely!
Dave Carr is offline  
post #28 of 289 Old 05-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave Carr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Luito Tower is in and breaking in now. Oh... My... God...
Dave Carr is offline  
post #29 of 289 Old 05-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Member
 
T-3G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Carr View Post

Luito Tower is in and breaking in now. Oh... My... God...

How does it compared to Domus GP or Cremona M? Is piano black the only finish?
T-3G is offline  
post #30 of 289 Old 05-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave Carr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-3G View Post

How does it compared to Domus GP or Cremona M? Is piano black the only finish?

Much smoother the GP, deeper more linear bass, and that classic Sonus midrange. Not as resolved as the Cremona M, nor as incisive, but definitely much closer to Cremona than to GP. Also, the single bass driver seems to make the speaker easier to setup than the double woofers of GP.
Dave Carr is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off