noob needs suggestions for first surround sound set up to go with non-elite kuro - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-24-2008, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I know there are a lot of threads about this but I had trouble finding one that matched up and was recent..I just picked up a PDP-5020FD and I LOVE IT. I like the speakers on it too and I was wondering if I could incorporate those into a surround sound system? Like I said, I'm completely new to this.

I play games and watch movies mostly..the system would be used occasionally for playing background music for a party, but I don't need anything that would blow you away because I'm living in an apartment for the next 2-3 yrs. The (living) room with the TV has a 10ft viewing distance & has 1 semi-open wall (the right side). The width is like ~16-20 ft.

I definitely want to be able to tell if ppl are sneaking up from behind in games, but I'm completely flexible with the set up (5.1, 7.1, surround bar) as long as it can do that..I'm thinking about spending up to $1500. I know there are a lot of these posted all the time, but I'd really appreciate any useful input you have!

Could I implement my TVs speakers in a system?

Is there a huge difference between surround bars and actual surround systems?
How about the 5020FD speakers vs a surround bar?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-25-2008, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 4 Old 12-26-2008, 01:28 AM

Well you could use your tv speakers in your sound system, but I would recommend against it. They will not stand up to a system you get for $1500. Also you want to make sure your front three speakers are matched.

I would look at a receiver around $400. You could get something even cheaper if you don't need all the bells and whistles. Also I am not sure if you want a sub or not since you are living in an apartment. I've never had any luck with apartments and subs. If you decide to go without a sub you will want mains that can extend down to at least 50Hz or so.

Whether you want 7.1 or 5.1 depends on how large the room is that you are using them in. If your seating is not at least a few feet off of the rear wall stick with 5.1 (or 5.0 if you skip the sub).

One option that would be good for movies/games and occasional loud music would be the SVS SBS system, which can be had for around $1000 and is 5.1.

If you decide to go without a sub you could get a 5.0 of Ascend 340SEs for around $1200 right now on sale, which would be a very good system. You would have to cut back on the receiver to fit within your budget. Or you could substitute a pair of 170s in for the surrounds, which would bring the price of the system down to $1000.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-27-2008, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the input-i appreciate it
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page