Which is better - no center channel or a misplaced center channel? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry I'm a newbie and have bought my equipment largely based on info on forums like this. I messed up when I bought my entertainment center. It doesn't have space for center channel speaker. But I already bought a center channel speaker and the only option I see is to place it in a corner of the room.

I just want to know if it makes sense to even do that..Or am I better off just not using a center channel speaker? My components are as below and living room pic is attached

Receiver -> Onkyo TX-SR606
Front Left and Right -> Polk RTi8
Surround Left and Right -> Infinity Primus p362
Sub woofer -> Elemental Designs A2-300
Center channel -> Polk CSi5 (not connected because of space issue)

thanks...
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

There's no picture in your post, but if "in the corner of the room" means outside of your front speakers, then definitely NO.

What about above your TV? - show us the room
post #3 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinipux77 View Post

There's no picture in your post, but if "in the corner of the room" means outside of your front speakers, then definitely NO.

What about above your TV? - show us the room

Sorry I have attached the pic now. TV is a 52" LCD Samsung LN52A550. A recent change which is not in the pic is the ED subwoofer which I placed in the right corner of the room (near the single seat piece of the Sofa set)
post #4 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 01:38 PM

Mount it on the wall right above the TV

I have a swivel mount which I will have for sale soon. It holds my 30LB Klipsch Center Channel just fine.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post

Mount it on the wall right above the TV

I have a swivel mount which I will have for sale soon. It holds my 30LB Klipsch Center Channel just fine.

Yes, what he said. Or:
That center speaker is just over 7.5 inches tall. If you put it on the stand just below the tv it will cover the bottom bezel of the tv, but does it block any of the screen?

kirk

Nothing like doom metal in the morning to get you going
post #6 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
It is hard to tell from your pic but I am going to assume the TV is on its stand and not on the wall.

Don't fret, you have several options:

1.) Although not ideal, one thing you can probably do is place the TV atop the center channel speaker. It "should" support it. But this is not ideal as you will not be able to tilt the center speaker up or down, if necessary. And you may not want to or be able to pull the center speaker to the front edge of the rack. It is not good for the speaker's front edge to be behind the front of your rack, particularly if it is directly atop it.

2.) You may be able to find something that will straddle your center speaker so you can make a little cubby for it and place the TV atop that. Almost anything will work as long as it will support your TV. You could also easily build something like that. Two supports on either side of the center speaker that are a bit taller than the speaker and a shelf that goes across the top. Voila.

3.) As pointed out, the speaker may fit in front of the TV's stand, especially if you push the TV back. The center could then also be tilted up or down, if necessary. If the speaker has to hang off the front a bit (within reason, of course), that is actually a good thing. And, if need be, you can easily raise the TV an inch or two (or more) by placing something under the base of the stand.

4.) Also, as pointed out, mount the speaker above the TV.

Option 3 is probably the easiest option and it may also be the best option.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #7 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
And get some acoustical treatments for that room! It's all hardwood, plaster, glass and leather. Not an absorbent thing in it except, perhaps, for you.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
To the original question, flying without a center will be better. Your 2 towers will image a center just fine, probably even better than above/below the tv would.

It may cause 'some' imaging issues to people seated outside the sweet spot though. It seems the best suggestion, base don the picture, would be to move the TV a bit "up" and place the center under or in front of it. That would put the tweeters of your mains on a better level then if you were to wall mount the center above the TV.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I tried putting the center channel on the TV stand in front of the TV. unfortunately it does cover a small portion of the screen. I think I will try the "raising TV" approach. Hope I find something at Home Improvement stores that will get the job done
post #10 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubborn View Post

Thanks. I tried putting the center channel on the TV stand in front of the TV. unfortunately it does cover a small portion of the screen. I think I will try the "raising TV" approach. Hope I find something at Home Improvement stores that will get the job done

If the center in front of the TV works for you, you can put just about anything under the TV stand to raise it a few inches. Hell, a phone book will work for right now.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #11 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubborn View Post

Sorry I'm a newbie and have bought my equipment largely based on info on forums like this. I messed up when I bought my entertainment center. It doesn't have space for center channel speaker. But I already bought a center channel speaker and the only option I see is to place it in a corner of the room.

I just want to know if it makes sense to even do that..Or am I better off just not using a center channel speaker? My components are as below and living room pic is attached

Receiver -> Onkyo TX-SR606
Front Left and Right -> Polk RTi8
Surround Left and Right -> Infinity Primus p362
Sub woofer -> Elemental Designs A2-300
Center channel -> Polk CSi5 (not connected because of space issue)

thanks...

Why not purchase a wall mount for the TV and mount it just high enough to fit the center channel spkr. on top of the entertainment center? The wires from the TV will run behind the center spkr..

Espo77
post #12 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'd recommend no center...should put the voices right on the screen.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-27-2008, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I got a low cost floating shelf for my center channel speaker that I mounted to the wall behind the TV using a couple drywall anchors. Cost me less than $20 and looks and works good.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Why not just get an 18" or 22" center channel speaker stand and put it in front of your entertainment center. It will most likely be angled up (most center stands are) and should take care of your problem. You will lose some functionality of your entertainment center with the stand in the front and the listeners to the side may suffer a bit, but you'll have good imaging to the people on the main couch further back.

I like Ice Cream!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page