Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 5580 Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 498
STS's and a Ten are in the house... now to find the time to open them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 5580 Old 03-12-2009, 09:57 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

congrats !!!!!!!!!

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #303 of 5580 Old 03-12-2009, 11:46 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

congrats
post #304 of 5580 Old 03-13-2009, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Sweet! (I know what you mean--have had a Z7 in the house for a couple of weeks and haven't had time to hook it up--I gotta get a better sense of priorities )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #305 of 5580 Old 03-13-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Hey, HarleyRider--congrats on the speakers! Out of curiosity, what crossover did you settle on for the Mythos Ones?

Right now I'm still at 80. Haven't had time to mess with them much since last Sunday when I unboxed 'em and set 'em up. My only other choice thanks to the Pio 94TXH is 50. (That's one of the few things that annoys be about the Pio. Why no crossover increments of 10?!?) It's kind of funny - the owner's manual that came with the One's says to use 80. But the spec's page on the Definitive website says to use 60. This weekend I'm going to try 50 and see how it compares. Will probably mess around with the MCACC Eq Pro settings a little bit this weekend, too.

A
how cute. You measure your TV's size in
inches...
post #306 of 5580 Old 03-13-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Find the time! Look forward to your review.

Larry

I thought we were

post #307 of 5580 Old 03-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Lets see some cool pic's.
post #308 of 5580 Old 03-15-2009, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

Lets see some cool pic's.

1+ Yes--those of you who have your Mythos gear up and running, please let us see what your systems look like. (If I can get a minute off work, I might actually get some pics snapped myself later this week )

post #309 of 5580 Old 03-15-2009, 10:05 PM

Does anybody have any comments comparing a Mythos Gem/Three/SCIII system versus a ProCinema 1000 system?

I was originally planning on purchasing a pair of STS speakers, and then building my system around them as I had the money -- but now it seems that I might not be able to get them immediately (I work for a retailer that is supposed to carry them, but I received word that we might not now, so it sort of changes the economics )

My thoughts now are to do a 5.1 system (probably run by a Denon 2809) and then, when I can afford the STS pair at retail pricing, I'll add them in, and sell or relocate the subwoofer (after a recent demo, I fell in love... even the girlfriend liked them, and she normally yawns when we're shopping at electronics stores...)
post #310 of 5580 Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaalC View Post

Does anybody have any comments comparing a Mythos Gem/Three/SCIII system versus a ProCinema 1000 system?

I was originally planning on purchasing a pair of STS speakers, and then building my system around them as I had the money -- but now it seems that I might not be able to get them immediately (I work for a retailer that is supposed to carry them, but I received word that we might not now, so it sort of changes the economics )

My thoughts now are to do a 5.1 system (probably run by a Denon 2809) and then, when I can afford the STS pair at retail pricing, I'll add them in, and sell or relocate the subwoofer (after a recent demo, I fell in love... even the girlfriend liked them, and she normally yawns when we're shopping at electronics stores...)

If that retailer is Best Buy, hang in there. ST's and STS should be available this summer. I've had numerous conversations with Defintive Technology and this is the word he's recieved from their senior rep to Magnolia/Best Buy.

If it's not Best Buy, ignore me.
post #311 of 5580 Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 AM

I wanted to get some advice on subwoofer connection.

My current set-up...Yam RX-V863(has two lfe outs) Mythos 1 frts, Mythos 8 cntr, Mythos GemXL rsr, Supercube II sub. SCII is hooked up via LFE

I am am adding a second SCII. As far as connection goes should I connect them using high level outs on the frts, avr to right sub then to right spkr and same on left. Set receiver to lrg on the frts and keep lfe for center and rears and keep them to small. I hope that makes sense.

I am thinking for music this would be better.
post #312 of 5580 Old 03-16-2009, 05:58 PM

So I'm def going to get a yamaha z7, but now I need to decide bw the STs + Mythos 10 or the STS's + Mythos 9. My little brother works as BB so the price difference bw the two is $350 for the setup. My room is smaller for the time being (12 x 15), but then moving soon into a larger (20 x 20) room. My movie/music split is 20/80...is it worth it to get the STs, or get the STSs and put it toward a Reference Sub? I listen to all genres of music...

Haha...it took me about 5 months to make a decision between the Pioneer Elite SC-07 and Yamaha Z7...hopefully I can pull the trigger a little faster on this one. This is a great thread...pretty informative...thanks!

Funny thing is on the Pioneer SC-07 thread I said I was set on the STSs...
post #313 of 5580 Old 03-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaalC View Post

Holy crap...I just had a demo of the ST's with a z7, and it was..umm...whats the word...holy *%&*. It was amazing, the girlfriend even liked it also. And she is the same exact way, in the electronic stores, she has no interest. But it was great that during the demo, she was bobbing her head and tapping her feet. First time I have seen this.
post #314 of 5580 Old 03-16-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tua09788 View Post

So I'm def going to get a yamaha z7, but now I need to decide bw the STs + Mythos 10 or the STS's + Mythos 9. My little brother works as BB so the price difference bw the two is $350 for the setup. My room is smaller for the time being (12 x 15), but then moving soon into a larger (20 x 20) room. My movie/music split is 20/80...is it worth it to get the STs, or get the STSs and put it toward a Reference Sub? I listen to all genres of music...

Haha...it took me about 5 months to make a decision between the Pioneer Elite SC-07 and Yamaha Z7...hopefully I can pull the trigger a little faster on this one. This is a great thread...pretty informative...thanks!

Funny thing is on the Pioneer SC-07 thread I said I was set on the STSs...

Hi, Tua09788:

Congrats on deciding on the Z7. I had the same decision to make--was a little hesitant because up until this point had been a Pioneer guy. Powered up the Z7 tonight--WOW! (The HDMI Through feature is pretty cool as well).

As far as speakers--I think that if I were in your shoes, and the difference is only $350, I'd go ST's/10. Reason being is that I don't think a $350 sub would make up that much difference between the STS and the ST's. (If you were talking a $800 sub, that would change the equation for me).

Just my two cents--it'd be hard to go wrong either way. I'd be interested to see what other folks say.

post #315 of 5580 Old 03-16-2009, 07:40 PM

Ok never mind...just sent an email to Def Tech and got my answer. If anybody has the same questions PM me I will share the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp2 View Post

I wanted to get some advice on subwoofer connection.

My current set-up...Yam RX-V863(has two lfe outs) Mythos 1 frts, Mythos 8 cntr, Mythos GemXL rsr, Supercube II sub. SCII is hooked up via LFE

I am am adding a second SCII. As far as connection goes should I connect them using high level outs on the frts, avr to right sub then to right spkr and same on left. Set receiver to lrg on the frts and keep lfe for center and rears and keep them to small. I hope that makes sense.

I am thinking for music this would be better.

post #316 of 5580 Old 03-16-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:

Hi, Tua09788:

Congrats on deciding on the Z7. I had the same decision to make--was a little hesitant because up until this point had been a Pioneer guy. Powered up the Z7 tonight--WOW! (The HDMI Through feature is pretty cool as well).

As far as speakers--I think that if I were in your shoes, and the difference is only $350, I'd go ST's/10. Reason being is that I don't think a $350 sub would make up that much difference between the STS and the ST's. (If you were talking a $800 sub, that would change the equation for me).

Just my two cents--it'd be hard to go wrong either way. I'd be interested to see what other folks say.

Glad you're enjoying the Z7. Do you have a sub also, or plan on getting one soon? Same here, I used to be a Pioneer receiver groupie (still am when talking about displays). It was strange, I couldn't find a place around here (Philadelphia) that had the z7 out to demo let alone the ST or STS. Then after visiting the gf in State College we decided to go Altoona to go furniture shopping (please...no jokes ). There they had the z7 with the STs...and it was amazing...
post #317 of 5580 Old 03-16-2009, 10:19 PM

Hi I am trying to find a speaker stand for the Mythos Ten, anyone have any idea if this from Sanus will work?
http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/...flat-panel/FF1
post #318 of 5580 Old 03-16-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo5354 View Post

Hi I am trying to find a speaker stand for the Mythos Ten, anyone have any idea if this from Sanus will work?
http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/...flat-panel/FF1

If you contact def tech directly with the model number theyll let you know. They are usually pretty good with info...
post #319 of 5580 Old 03-17-2009, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad you're enjoying the Z7. Do you have a sub also, or plan on getting one soon? Same here, I used to be a Pioneer receiver groupie (still am when talking about displays). It was strange, I couldn't find a place around here (Philadelphia) that had the z7 out to demo let alone the ST or STS. Then after visiting the gf in State College we decided to go Altoona to go furniture shopping (please...no jokes ). There they had the z7 with the STs...and it was amazing...

Two subs: SVS PC-12 Pluses--haven't calibrated them yet, but just hearing them together for the first time was pretty cool (and too boomy--gotta tame these things)--worked well with the rest of the Mythos stuff.

I'm surprised Philly didn't have some ST's and STS to listen to.

If you had to go furniture shopping, you DESERVE the Mythos stuff!

post #320 of 5580 Old 03-17-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post

Well, I just ordered a couple more pieces of my new system. I already got the Mythos Three. Now a couple of GemXLs and an SVS SB12-Plus are on the way. The plan is to use the the GemXLs in as front L&R, so I'll let everyone know what I think of the sound when I set them up. Again, I should say that my current front L&R are Bose "direct/reflecting" 301s, so I can't do a good comparison between the dipole sound to a regular direct radiating speaker like the Mythos Two (which I would have gone with if I had a good place for them - maybe in the future).

An update and initial impressions (much of this is copied from what I just posted over on a Bose Owners thread):

I started with an old system made up of Bose 301-IIIs, Bose VCS-10 center, and Bose 100 surrounds. No sub. I got the GemXLs and SVS sub setup last night. Here's what happened.

First I hooked up the sub with the Bose bookshelves to find out where Audyssey (in my Denon 789) would set the crossover on the 301s. I was surprised, but it set them to large so they could run at full range. I guess this means Audyssey detected they were fine down to at least 40 Hz, since that's the lowest settable crossover freq. Though I shouldn't be surprised, because I was always happy with them for 2-channel music.

When I took out the Bose and hooked up the GemXLs in their place, I re-ran Audyssey and as expected they were set to small with a 90Hz crossover (the DefTech site suggests 80Hz for the GemXLs, but I'll go with 90 for a while and see how it goes). The sound is great. No measuring equipment here, just my untrained ears. I'm not very good at describing sound quality, but my impression was that everything seemed more clear and detailed, as if the Bose had been slightly muffled somehow. I'm still using Bose 100s as surrounds, which now sound pretty harsh and don't seem to blend at all with the rest of the new system, especially when using 5ch Stereo mode.

So far so good. I think the GemXLs will do fine for me in front, but I really don't have any other good alternative to compare. I did have a little trouble initially with Audessey warning me that the left front GemXL was connected out of phase. I double- and triple-checked all connections and finally moved the left one to the other end of the bookshelf. Audyssey seemed to like that position better. Maybe it was getting a strange reflection somewhere?

Finally, the SVS sub.... I fully expected it to improve the bass extension, but I wasn't prepared for how much. I knew it was a highly respected small sub, but wow! I've never heard bass like this. The first thing I listened to (since I had it handy) was Finding Nemo and the fish tank tapping scene - I had read about the deep bass in this one. I was blown away by the sound coming from this small box (~14" cube). It did shake the room a bit which is large and very open to both living room and dining room - I even had to turn it down. I may have to play with the placement (it's currently in a pretty tight corner) because I think there may be a bit too much corner-load effect. Maybe that particular frequency is being overemphasized (maybe I do need some measuring equipment)? Reading the subwoofer threads, I used to worry that I'd be disappointed by the limitations of SB12+ and its small dimensions. Sorry, I'm no bass-head - but I can't imagine wanting any more bass than this little thing can put out.

I'll try to post photos later. Next, I need to finish things off with a couple Gem surrounds. Or perhaps I'll hold off and see what my next place is like. I'm moving this summer and might have a better configuration that will accomodate a pair of Mythos Twos in front, and I could use the GemXLs as surrounds.
post #321 of 5580 Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp2 View Post

Ok never mind...just sent an email to Def Tech and got my answer. If anybody has the same questions PM me I will share the info.

Why not share what they told you? A lot of us have our own answers, but it would be interesting to learn what DefTech has to say. I'm sure they don't consider their guidance to be proprietary.
post #322 of 5580 Old 03-17-2009, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a slightly different take than some others. For $350, I certainly go with the ST/Ten in a heartbeat (assuming their larger size isn't an issue as it was for me). However both the ST and STS will cover the entire musical spectrum (no separate sub needed with either for music, unless you are into pipe organs), and you'd be happy with either for that portion of your listening.

We all have different priorities, but for me clean, deep, powerful bass is a big one. You won't need more than the ST/STS can deliver for music, but if, like me, you "need" to get that bone rattling infrasonic bass that exists on some movies, you'd really want that Reference Subwoofer (or something equivalent), especially when you move to your larger room. So if it is between ST's without a sub and STS's with a Reference, the equation changes.

I don't know what kind of deal you can get on the Reference, but if it were in my budget, I'd go for it even if "settling" for the ST/Nine combo were one of the tradeoffs.

FWIW, my STS's are in a room midway between your two in size, and they clearly have plenty in reserve. Of course, I have a couple of SVS subs (and a Pioneer AVR ).
post #323 of 5580 Old 03-17-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Two subs: SVS PC-12 Pluses--haven't calibrated them yet, but just hearing them together for the first time was pretty cool (and too boomy--gotta tame these things)--worked well with the rest of the Mythos stuff.

I'm surprised Philly didn't have some ST's and STS to listen to.

If you had to go furniture shopping, you DESERVE the Mythos stuff!

I was surprised too, the only place I found only had DirecTV hooked up to it...frustrating. Wow, two PC-12s, once you get that tweaked, I'm sure it'll sound great. Seems like you watch a lot of movies with the two sub setup?

Later down the line, when I get more funds to sink into this (or maybe after a I buy a "chaise" ), I'll probably put it toward a sub. What do you think...If I can get a decent deal on the Def Tech Reference...you think that would fit well...or a supercube l?
post #324 of 5580 Old 03-17-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

I have a slightly different take than some others. For $350, I certainly go with the ST/Ten in a heartbeat (assuming their larger size isn't an issue as it was for me). However both the ST and STS will cover the entire musical spectrum (no separate sub needed with either for music, unless you are into pipe organs), and you'd be happy with either for that portion of your listening.

We all have different priorities, but for me clean, deep, powerful bass is a big one. You won't need more than the ST/STS can deliver for music, but if, like me, you "need" to get that bone rattling infrasonic bass that exists on some movies, you'd really want that Reference Subwoofer (or something equivalent), especially when you move to your larger room. So if it is between ST's without a sub and STS's with a Reference, the equation changes.

I don't know what kind of deal you can get on the Reference, but if it were in my budget, I'd go for it even if "settling" for the ST/Nine combo were one of the tradeoffs.

FWIW, my STS's are in a room midway between your two in size, and they clearly have plenty in reserve. Of course, I have a couple of SVS subs (and a Pioneer AVR ).

I just posted something and you read my mind with your post. What kind of AVR do you have. And I do like some earth shattering bass...or close to it. Musically, I guess its nice to know each of them would do the same thing musically (within a 20 x 20 room, at least that's what most reviews and people say).
post #325 of 5580 Old 03-17-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just posted something and you read my mind with your post. What kind of AVR do you have. And I do like some earth shattering bass...or close to it. Musically, I guess its nice to know each of them would do the same thing musically (within a 20 x 20 room, at least that's what most reviews and people say).

I have a VSX-01THX. Thought long and hard about an SC, but in the end couldn't justify the extra cost, which is mostly for the ICE amps. The STS's draw very little power, and I doubt my amp leaves class A operation very often. Hardly ever exceeds 2 watts, usually well below one (I have meters). Sandy Gross drives his STS's with a 17 watt tube amp, so clearly raw power, per se, isn't an requirement with them.
post #326 of 5580 Old 03-17-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Why not share what they told you? A lot of us have our own answers, but it would be interesting to learn what DefTech has to say. I'm sure they don't consider their guidance to be proprietary.

DT said

In an ideal setup, I would recommend connecting the left speaker wire outputs from your receiver to high level left inputs on your left subwoofer. I would then connect your left speaker to the left high level output on this subwoofer. (I would also connect the right subwoofer in the same fashionWhere the right subwoofer is connected to the right speaker wire outputs on your receiver - and to the right front speaker of your system.) This would truly provide stereo subwoofers in your system.

Next, I would then split the single subwoofer output on your receiver to connect a subwoofer cable to the LFE input on each subwoofer. This way, both subwoofers would share (or play together) the subwoofer channel on your system.
With this configuration, I would recommend setting your receiver to large front speakers and subwoofer to on or yes'.

I have only been running one SCII hooked to LFE. I can't wait to get the second one and hook it up like they suggested.

I am also getting an Elemental Designs eQ.2 external EQ. Has anyone had any experience external EQ's? This was recomended to me and it only cost's 100 bones, supposed to work good. Not sure if I need it..but for 100 bucks...what the heck.
post #327 of 5580 Old 03-17-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Thanks for that. Pretty much the same philosophy they have for their designs with the sub built in.

Almost everyone needs some sub EQ, except perhaps those with carefully treated rooms. I have an SMS-1, and consider it one of the best audio investments I ever made.
post #328 of 5580 Old 03-17-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post

Finally, the SVS sub.... I fully expected it to improve the bass extension, but I wasn't prepared for how much. I knew it was a highly respected small sub, but wow! I've never heard bass like this...

Congrats on the setup BigAWL. I've been following your posts for the past few weeks as I worked towards my own DT setup. I started out with an SSA-50, but was left wanting more --- don't get me wrong, it did as good a job as a 5 channel-single-speaker probably can, but it was not filling my need. After much consideration - including considering a pair of GEM XL and a THREE for my fronts and 2 TWOs and a THREE, I was able to nail two phenomenal deals on a pair of GEMS for rears and three NINES for my L/C/R. The same day I pulled the trigger on the NINES, SVS had a B-stock SB12+ online and I jumped all over it.

The NINES and SVS were delivered yesterday and I got to mounting them right away. I still have some fishing to do and am waiting on a 35 ft. subwoofer cable from Monoprice which will give me some additional placement flexibility for the SB12+ --- however, with that said, the current setup sounds amazing. I cannot stop watching Casino Royale on Showtime!

The NINES and GEMS sound great, but, like you, I am most impressed with the SB12+ -- what an amazing sounding sub. I had been contemplating a SCII, but learned of HSU & SVS by reading this and other AVS threads --- I owe all of you a BIG thank you as not only did I save a couple of $$$ by going with the SB12+, I also ended up with an absolutely amazing product that does not disappoint in the least.
post #329 of 5580 Old 03-17-2009, 07:40 PM

well, on a whim i purchased a av123 mfw 15 to replace my old hsu and wow... amazing stuff. quite the musical sub for a 15... it blends with the mythos ones very well. placement has been somewhat of an issue but overall i love it.
post #330 of 5580 Old 03-17-2009, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was surprised too, the only place I found only had DirecTV hooked up to it...frustrating. Wow, two PC-12s, once you get that tweaked, I'm sure it'll sound great. Seems like you watch a lot of movies with the two sub setup?

Later down the line, when I get more funds to sink into this (or maybe after a I buy a "chaise" ), I'll probably put it toward a sub. What do you think...If I can get a decent deal on the Def Tech Reference...you think that would fit well...or a supercube l?

You're correct--my system was built with mostly movies in mind.

From what I have read, the two top Def Tech subs (Trinity and Reference) are a cut above the supercubes, so if $$$ allows, I'd go for the Reference instead of the SC.

However, when I was making my sub decision, I felt that the indie sub makers (SVS, Hsu, etc.) seemed to give a better bang for the buck IMHO. After researching things a bit, I went with SVS.

(Dealing with SVS has been nothing but great during the entire purchase experience--they still answer emails practically 24/7 from me regarding questions even though they already have my money--which tells you a lot about their company.)

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page