post #4411 of 5559 Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post

Watching this go back and forth. :-) I have the STS and I run them full range. I have a Supercube Reference for my Sub. Yes if not place correctly, regardless of Bass Management you can create problems. It seemed much of my Bass had disappeared until I move the Sub far away from the STS's. It had always worked well where it use to sit until the Towers we put in place. I actually moved the Sub about 13 ft away from the front speakers and put a sofa between the Sub and Front STS's. After that all is well again.

What are your AVR crossovers set at?
Preference or Reference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 5559 Old 01-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvacins View Post

Palmfish:

Lol here we go again.... "LARGE" channels crossed over at 80Hz give you what as a benifit? As far as our large towers are concerned.... If your going to push below 80hz then all theories are void anyways. Simple enough for me. We could go around the block on this for months Then again, are we talking about Preference or Reference?

As far as 2 channel.... "Large" is the way to go.... But that's not my main discussion, referring to large speaker's in the multi channel .1(+) THX standard realm.

P.s. please accept my friend invite!!!_

I think you're misunderstanding me...

I'm in complete agreement with you Owning powered towers just to cross them over at 80Hz is a complete waste. If you plan to use subwoofer(s) in your home theater, don't buy full-range speakers. Satellites will do just fine.

On the other hand, if you're like me and don't want (or have space for) separate subwoofer(s), then the Mythos ST is a great way to have your satellite speaker and subwoofer all in the same small footprint. And the beauty is, I can still decide to add subwoofers to my system and continue using the ST any way I want. For the $1000 ea. I paid for them, they're still cheaper than many quality bookshelf speakers.

Happy to accept your invite! Where is it?
post #4413 of 5559 Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

No misunderstanding here.... We fully see eye to eye on all points considered. Now back to the normally scheduled program...

Lol....can't figure out how to send on the phone.... Will invite once I hit my desk top this evening... Been way too fun....
post #4414 of 5559 Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Watching this go back and forth. :-) I have the STS and I run them full range. I have a Supercube Reference for my Sub. Yes if not place correctly, regardless of Bass Management you can create problems. It seemed much of my Bass had disappeared until I move the Sub far away from the STS's. It had always worked well where it use to sit until the Towers we put in place. I actually moved the Sub about 13 ft away from the front speakers and put a sofa between the Sub and Front STS's. After that all is well again.

I think it would be fun to add a big sub to my system someday.

Bass frequencies are probably the toughest part of home theater to get right and have the biggest influence on how good your system sounds.

I didn't understand any of this stuff before I read Floyd Toole's book, "Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms." Should be mandatory reading for anyone with more than a passing interest in home theater.
post #4415 of 5559 Old 01-18-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

Bass frequencies are probably the toughest part of home theater to get right and have the biggest influence on how good your system sounds.

I didn't understand any of this stuff before I read Floyd Toole's book, "Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms." Should be mandatory reading for anyone with more than a passing interest in home theater.

I think you're making home theater a lot harder than it actually is
post #4416 of 5559 Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post

I think you're making home theater a lot harder than I actually is.

But it is...
post #4417 of 5559 Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No misunderstanding here.... We fully see eye to eye on all points considered. Now back to the normally scheduled program...

Lol....can't figure out how to send on the phone.... Will invite once I hit my desk top this evening... Been way too fun....

Agreed!

Friend request sent!

BTW, we got 8 inches of snow last night so I'm working from home today. I have entirely too much time today to hover over my favorite discussion forums and ponder the depths of home theater theory.

Sorry if I'm being overbearing - I'm bouncing off the walls restless today!
post #4418 of 5559 Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

What are your AVR crossovers set at?
Preference or Reference?

Fronts are not crossed
Center is at 50Hz
Surrounds are at 120Hz

I let Audysey set the crossover points. It had the fronts at 40Hz. I chnaged them to full and yes that is a personal preference. :-)

It actually sounds very good. Tha Bass is clean and not muddy or bouncy at all.

Front - Mythos ST
Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gems
Sub - Supercube Ref

There can never be enough music
post #4419 of 5559 Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Fronts are not crossed
Center is at 50Hz
Surrounds are at 120Hz

I let Audysey set the crossover points. It had the fronts at 40Hz. I chnaged them to full and yes that is a personal preference. :-)

It actually sounds very good. Tha Bass is clean and not muddy or bouncy at all.

Right on... All that really matters is what's works best for your taste. I'd say more often than not "reference" is used out of context anyways. It all comes down to your preference and what you think it should sound like. I think my current setup sounds great.... Others my not like it one bit. But then again... I don't work for a recording or movie studio putting together reference soundtracks.... So I have no clue what I'm missing anyways.
post #4420 of 5559 Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Right on... All that really matters is what's works best for your taste. I'd say more often than not "reference" is used out of context anyways. It all comes down to your preference and what you think it should sound like. I think my current setup sounds great.... Others my not like it one bit. But then again... I don't work for a recording or movie studio putting together reference soundtracks.... So I have no clue what I'm missing anyways.

I bursted out laughing when I got to the end of your post. As much as we all like to think we know, you are actually correct. Over the years I have had numerous people listen to different systems I have put together, including car systems. I have not come across one yet that didn't like what they heard and experienced, but eventually there will be somebody. When Circuit City was at the top of their game with the sound room setup I had many of what were then my coworkers come by. When they got back to work the no longer liked the sound room setups and told me I put the sound room to shame.

I guess that may be because I always like to be able to hear everything without the highs being ear piercing or the bass over powering. There has to be a balance for me. I have always been in the mind set that not one manufacture can be the best at everything. I always have searched for the best I could afford without killing myself (no matter DVD, CD, PreAmp, Power Amp or whatever piece) and then but the system together. I have been at this stuff since I was a kid, finding a Hi-Fi someone had thrown out. I took it home, cleaned it up and fixed it. Been hooked every since.

Front - Mythos ST
Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gems
Sub - Supercube Ref

post #4421 of 5559 Old 01-18-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

maddmaster:

What can I say.... Humble in my own ways. I on the other hand love Bone Crushing bass and ear pierceng highs, along with everything in between. Probably why I have a hard time sleeping.... All that ringing going on up there is hard overlook... Probably why some people tell me that my setup is not for them. I got a lot extra noise in my ears that needs to be a tad overdriven to compensate for. Too much fun, Chewing the fat with ya fellas...
post #4422 of 5559 Old 01-18-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Has anyone listened to both the Gem XL and the new SR-8080BP?

I am using these are two top surround models of different model lines.

I have Gem-XL for front heights now.... They were my surrounds untill my 10's took that role. I think those Gems sound really well for their size, guess it comes down to that whole crossover point we've been beating the crap out of lately. I can't comment on the bi-polar version as I never auditioned them. I was never really interested in bi-polar speakers as they obviously throw noise in more than one direction.... Which I thought was a bad thing when you take timing, and reflections into account. Although I'm no pro when it comes to that part of blending them into your room properly.

I'm sure there are some guys that can comment on pros/cons between those two types of speakers. So if anybody wants to play ball.... I'd like to hear it as well. When you look at the path or shall I say direction of sound travel coming from a standard directional speaker.... You can tell when and where its going to reflect. On a bi-polar speaker your firing in 2 different directions.... Thus in theory the timing of the sounds from both directions will arrive at your melon differently. I thought this would make those bi-polars sound fuzzy, or do they call it "warm"? There's no way to augment one speaker to the other speaker in the same enclosure to make it match on arrival time considering you only have one speaker wire input. Please correct me if I'm wrong in the theory of why bi-polars would not be as good as di-polars. After all we are trying to blend all speakers seamlessly with all that EQ, placement and treatments.
post #4423 of 5559 Old 01-19-2012, 06:43 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Hello Palmfish,
You are so right to endorse Floyd Toole's book. He has a great way of explaining difficult acoustical concepts in ways that people who aren't acoustical engineers (me) can understand. I worked at Velodyne when I got his book, and I thought I had a good handle on room acoustics. But I picked up a whole bunch of knowledge from him. BTW John Dahl at THX (a wonderful guy, very smart too) is the one who suggested that I get Floyd's book! Best, Joe
post #4424 of 5559 Old 01-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Definitive View Post

Hello Palmfish,
You are so right to endorse Floyd Toole's book. He has a great way of explaining difficult acoustical concepts in ways that people who aren't acoustical engineers (me) can understand. I worked at Velodyne when I got his book, and I thought I had a good handle on room acoustics. But I picked up a whole bunch of knowledge from him. BTW John Dahl at THX (a wonderful guy, very smart too) is the one who suggested that I get Floyd's book! Best, Joe

Hi Joe. Yes, I'm so glad a friend recommended his book to me. Some of the topics went over my head, but overall I was able to follow every chapter from beginning to end. Yes, I read it from cover to cover and it was actually a fun read - not at all boring or overly technical.

I must admit though after reading his book, among what I learned is that my Def Tech speakers may not have been the best choice for my home theater. If I had read his book before putting my system together, I might have gone with a different brand/setup. This is not a knock against Def Tech though - my system sounds very good and I'm happy with it.
post #4425 of 5559 Old 01-19-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Definitive View Post

Hello Palmfish,

I ordered the book from Amazon and it arrive today. It will take several days to get through the 500+ pages. Hopefully it'll be worth the read.

Front - Mythos ST
Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gems
Sub - Supercube Ref

post #4426 of 5559 Old 01-19-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:

maddmaster:

What can I say.... Humble in my own ways. I on the other hand love Bone Crushing bass and ear pierceng highs, along with everything in between. Probably why I have a hard time sleeping.... All that ringing going on up there is hard overlook... Probably why some people tell me that my setup is not for them. I got a lot extra noise in my ears that needs to be a tad overdriven to compensate for. Too much fun, Chewing the fat with ya fellas...

LOL, I think we are in the perceptions area again. LMAO. I do have the room and walls shaking in the room sometimes, along with the highs ringing loud and clear. I just have all frequencies at a balance so if there is a bell of triangle sound it is heard too. I took advice from another forum though and backed off the volume a little before I did more damage to my ears. My average volume used to be around 112 - 116 dB with both movies and music. I have catch myself listening to music peaking at 122 dB at times. No wonder I would walk away afterward with my ears ringing. I have to say thank you to OldFart from the Sound and Vision forum that made me aware what I was doing to myself. Do yourself a favor and backoff a little before it's too late. Once those little hair like sensors in your ear canal are pushed flat and laying down your hearing it shot.

Front - Mythos ST
Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gems
Sub - Supercube Ref

post #4427 of 5559 Old 01-19-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

LOL, I think we are in the perceptions area again. LMAO. Do yourself a favor and backoff a little before it's too late. Once those little hair like sensors in your ear canal are pushed flat and laying down your hearing it shot.

I really try hard to start off at a reasonable level.... Lol.... More often then not by the time I'm done, I find that volume knob up higher than when I started. For a while I swore it was my reciever wanting to play louder and cranking it up..... That was untill my wife found it more effective to just hit me everytime I kicked it up a notch....
post #4428 of 5559 Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:

I really try hard to start off at a reasonable level.... Lol.... More often then not by the time I'm done, I find that volume knob up higher than when I started. For a while it swore it was my reciever wanting to play louder and cranking it up..... That was untill my wife found it more effective to just hit me everytime I kicked it up a notch....

Mine told me she woke up thinking there was an earthquake and she was on the 3rd level up. One late morning she was jamming hard and I woke up going What the Hell, and realized it was her with the music downstairs. Then I knew what she meant. Sometimes it is hard to tell it's that loud because it is so clean and clear sounding so I know exactly what you are talking about.

Front - Mythos ST
Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gems
Sub - Supercube Ref

post #4429 of 5559 Old 01-20-2012, 03:04 PM

Liked: 13
Good luck with the book, Maddmaster. There's no reason to bolt through it either. A few pages at a time can be a good thing! Best, Joe
post #4430 of 5559 Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 AM

Seems like the right place to ask ...

I have a system with 2 STS fronts and 2 Gem surrounds. I'm looking for a center channel speaker, but have a logistical problem with the size of the speaker. I have a Panasonic 55VT30 television, and the base takes up most of the room of our component/TV stand. Since it is in a corner of the room, wall mounting isn't an option - I'm looking for something that will likely wind up sitting on the TV stand, but cannot be too high as that might block the picture.

DefTech suggests the Mythos 9 for the STS system, and it seems as small as anything else offered (in terms of depth/height when on tabletop), but I'm wondering if there is another timbre matched speaker I should consider.

Steve
post #4431 of 5559 Old 01-21-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepstein View Post

I have a system with 2 STS fronts and 2 Gem surrounds. I'm looking for a center channel speaker, but have a logistical problem with the size of the speaker. I have a Panasonic 55VT30 television, and the base takes up most of the room of our component/TV stand. Since it is in a corner of the room, wall mounting isn't an option - I'm looking for something that will likely wind up sitting on the TV stand, but cannot be too high as that might block the picture.

DefTech suggests the Mythos 9 for the STS system, and it seems as small as anything else offered (in terms of depth/height when on tabletop), but I'm wondering if there is another timbre matched speaker I should consider.

Steve

Due to the location of the remote IR and 3D IR emitters on your display, placing any speaker on the base is a bad idea. Your best bet is to figure out if you can put your center above your display via a speaker mount or shelf. Otherwise you will probably need to get a new stand that has an opening below the TV for your center channel or do a phantom center via your STS speakers.
post #4432 of 5559 Old 01-21-2012, 11:01 AM

I am in a similar situation for a smaller center channel but I found this on this site: http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/center_stage.html and I might try it out
post #4433 of 5559 Old 01-21-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Banana plugs don't "click." They are bowed out in the middle to grip the inner walls of the terminals. As long as they feel like they're making good contact and don't fall out, they are fitting as they should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Yes. All of my DT speakers (four varieties) have shallow binding posts. Of course I've never heard any sort of click when inserting plugs into anything so I don't think you should be expecting distinct audible feedback to indicate success. If the plugs are snug enough to resist casual tugs they're tight enough.

By the way, if you're worried you can switch to pins. I use them on my Gems.

palmfish and bodosom, thanks for your replies.

Strikes me as unusual the way the fit, but it works.

The "click" sound was the best way I can describe the sound and feel as the "nobby part" of the banana plug tip passing a threshold point when inserting into a receptical for it...as in for my Yamaha vs not present on the DT speakers. The sound is similar to a good fitting key into a door lock (which has multiples of these "clicks").
post #4434 of 5559 Old 01-21-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Steve

I have not tried the Mythos 9. I started out with a 3 then moved to an 8 and now have a 10 running along with the 8. As far as matching the 10 matches better for me. What I like about the 8 is it is a little birghter sounding than the 10. I would imagine the 9 could be a good match as well.

Front - Mythos ST
Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gems
Sub - Supercube Ref

post #4435 of 5559 Old 01-21-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Steve

Have you thought of something like this to give you more center channel options? D-Nice and jackte50 seemed to have the same idea, so I'll justify my post with pictures.

Since your TV is in a corner, it may keep the appearance clean and simple but give you a place to put a center such as the CS-8060HD (which I currently use with my STS's with great success) or at least the M9/M10.

Viewed from the front it looks nice, and it is pretty cheap.

As for speaker matches, I've had the Mythos 9 (the "ideal" matching center), the Mythos 10 and the CS-8060HD. In my room and to my ears, the CS-8060HD was the best match and best speaker as the Mythos lines center channels were a little too bass shy for my tastes. Of course, that may not be an issue in a corner where you'll get natural bass boost. The above shelf could help with any of those speakers though.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #4436 of 5559 Old 01-21-2012, 07:02 PM

Hey Snowmanick, I see you've searched for the best center channel speaker too. Unless I change my video setup I have to wait on the CS8080HD. It's too deep at almost 18" and the glossy finish will reflect too much light from my projector. I had a powered center years ago and was never happy with it either (http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...ecent/cs1000p/) and finally sold it. If I find away to reconfigure and use the new CS8080HD I hope it is worth the time and money. By the way, I like your idea adding the top shelf to give you more options.

Front - Mythos ST
Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gems
Sub - Supercube Ref

post #4437 of 5559 Old 01-21-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Steve

How far apart are the STSs. You may find you really don't need a center. If you are corner mounting. Depending on how far away you are and how far apart they are it just might not matter. Do you really feel like you miss the center now, or are you wanting one because it's just not 5.1 without 5 speakers? I keep trying both my systems out without the center. One has Def Tech bi polars, the other has some on wall speakers. I accidently didn't put the center back on in setup and never even noticed unitl I started playing around again.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #4438 of 5559 Old 01-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Hi guys, finally i have upgraded my AVR to a Denon 4311CI, but i have not been able to setup the audyssey auto-calibration correctly. There are multiple issues that has been outlined in the speaker configuration output. However i will only ask questions pertaining to my mythos ST speakers.

After the auto-calibration, aydyssey set the speakers automatically to small (which it shud set to large, and then manually i have to set to small), however it also adjusted the crossover to 120Hz.. which is weird.

I have already got some input from Denon 4311ci and aydyssey thread, and members there, asked me to check the way the ideal speakers are to be connected to the AVR. Hence checking here on this thread.
I am not using the internal Mythos ST subwoofer, i am using an external subwoofer basically a THT, its a monster in the folded horn sub category. Here are some questions.

1. I have set the Mythos ST sub all the way down to 0. Is that ok?
2. Do you recommend using the the ST's internal sub, are members who have a highly capable external sub using the ST's internal sub?
3. I am connecting the ST's to the AVR using speaker wires through the banana plugs, or should i also use the LFE port on the speaker? but again as i said, i dont use the ST's internal subwoofer so i think the lfe output on the speaker is not required.. right??
4. Is it ok to use the battery technique to check the polarity on the Mythos ST speakers??
5. Any other tips pertaining to Mythos ST on connection??
post #4439 of 5559 Old 01-22-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

Hi guys, finally i have upgraded my AVR to a Denon 4311CI, but i have not been able to setup the audyssey auto-calibration correctly. There are multiple issues that has been outlined in the speaker configuration output. However i will only ask questions pertaining to my mythos ST speakers.

After the auto-calibration, aydyssey set the speakers automatically to small (which it shud set to large, and then manually i have to set to small), however it also adjusted the crossover to 120Hz.. which is weird.

I have already got some input from Denon 4311ci and aydyssey thread, and members there, asked me to check the way the ideal speakers are to be connected to the AVR. Hence checking here on this thread.
I am not using the internal Mythos ST subwoofer, i am using an external subwoofer basically a THT, its a monster in the folded horn sub category. Here are some questions.

1. I have set the Mythos ST sub all the way down to 0. Is that ok?
2. Do you recommend using the the ST's internal sub, are members who have a highly capable external sub using the ST's internal sub?
3. I am connecting the ST's to the AVR using speaker wires through the banana plugs, or should i also use the LFE port on the speaker? but again as i said, i dont use the ST's internal subwoofer so i think the lfe output on the speaker is not required.. right??
4. Any other tips pertaining to Mythos ST on connection??

You didn't say what the rest of your system is. Do you have a separate sub? I don't have the STs, I only have old BP2006. However, if you are not using the subs you might have well saved a couple grand and went with the Mythos ones. If I were you I would skip the auto setup and set the subs in the middle and cross them over at 40-60. I have my 2006s at 40 and your STs should handle that with ease.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #4440 of 5559 Old 01-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

You didn't say what the rest of your system is. Do you have a separate sub? I don't have the STs, I only have old BP2006. However, if you are not using the subs you might have well saved a couple grand and went with the Mythos ones. If I were you I would skip the auto setup and set the subs in the middle and cross them over at 40-60. I have my 2006s at 40 and your STs should handle that with ease.

The setup is.
Front Mains - Mythos ST
Center - Mythos Ten
Surround - Gem XL's
Surround Rears - Def Tech ProMonitor 1000
Subwoofer - Tuba HT
Subwoofer Amp - Dayton SA1000
AVR - Denon 4311CI

I am using the ST since around 2 years now, and initially i did not have a sub, was using the internal sub, hence the ST.
The whole point of the advanced AVR with MultiEQ XT32 is auto-calibration, let the AVR tune your HT, and then you can deciede what more you can tweak later. But if the speaker wires are wrongly hooked up (which is why the audyssey is throwing up weird results), that needs to be checked. Hence the question above.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page