post #421 of 5599 Old 04-02-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray1 View Post

Looking for recommendations for rears in a 5.1 configuration. Fronts will be Mythos 1's and center will be Mythos 8. Thanks for the input.

Hi, Murray:

I have Mythos 1 fronts, and a Mythos center 8 in my 7.1 system.

For my side surrounds, I selected the Def Tech UIW RSSII's because I wanted bipoles for my sides (and needed ceiling mounted speakers there.) For my rears, I have a pair of 8's to give a more directional feel in the rear most surrounds. It follows one of the recommended Dolby Digital configurations on their website.

Both pairs blend very well with each other and the front three speakers and create a cohesive sound filed because all of the drivers and tweeters are virtually the same. (The Joker shooting the paddy wagon effect just runs around the room in The Dark Knight )

I think the fundamental choice you would need to make in your system is whether you prefer a more diffuse bipolar surround field (popular for movies). If this is the case then I would suggest a pair of Gem XL's (or the UIW RSS series)--they have the same woofers/tweeters as the Ones. If you prefer a more directional approach, a pair of 8's would be superb, followed by a pair of 2's.

On the other hand, if you really emphasize surround music in your system, then directional speakers are probably the way to go, so a pair of 8's would fit well (or a pair of 2's).

Just my two cents...Good luck!

Addendum: I should have read the title of your post before I replied--prefer Gem XL's over the Gem's for this application--worth the extra money in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 5599 Old 04-02-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

Here is what I suggest you do for rears with STS mains. Use the Mythos 9, same as the center channel. It's a perfect match and for sacd /dvd audio it's awesome. Having the same speaker all around is very involving. I plan on using the Mythos 10's as surrounds with my Mythos St mains.

Dan

Thanks for your thoughts, although I was responding to another's question, not ruminating about my own situation.

FWIW, I wound up using a very unconventional solution for my own surrounds. I don't offer it as a suggestion for others, but it is one that turned out to be ideally suited to my rather peculiar room arrangement. I installed a pair of Mirage OS2-FS's, which, to my surprise and delight, blend beautifully with my STS's. (The dealer's 30 day return privilege allowed my to try them in my room rather than speculate on the theoretical benefits and/or pitfalls of mixing or matching brands.) After running my Pioneer AVR's MCACC, they even passed the demanding pink noise test with flying colors, better than my Mythos Three center, in fact.

My limited placement options obviated any advantage that an exact match might have for SACD's. (My room is an acoustical nightmare on almost all counts.) Besides, I wasn't too concerned about designing my system around my 30-40 SACD's, only a few of which use the back channels for anything other than ambience. And for ambience, the Mirage's are unsurpassed, while still delivering an adequate amount of directionality.

Getting them dirt cheap (closeout) didn't hurt either.
post #423 of 5599 Old 04-02-2009, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Thanks for your thoughts, although I was responding to another's question, not ruminating about my own situation.

FWIW, I wound up using a very unconventional solution for my own surrounds. I don't offer it as a suggestion for others, but it is one that turned out to be ideally suited to my rather peculiar room arrangement. I installed a pair of Mirage OS2-FS's, which, to my surprise and delight, blend beautifully with my STS's. (The dealer's 30 day return privilege allowed my to try them in my room rather than speculate on the theoretical benefits and/or pitfalls of mixing or matching brands.) After running my Pioneer AVR's MCACC, they even passed the demanding pink noise test with flying colors, better than my Mythos Three center, in fact.

My limited placement options obviated any advantage that an exact match might have for SACD's. (My room is an acoustical nightmare on almost all counts.) Besides, I wasn't too concerned about designing my system around my 30-40 SACD's, only a few of which use the back channels for anything other than ambience. And for ambience, the Mirage's are unsurpassed, while still delivering an adequate amount of directionality.

Getting them dirt cheap (closeout) didn't hurt either.

Hi, MacFan:

I think that it's cool you got such a good blend with the Mirages in your room.

I do feel (and it's just my opinion) that your last comment about the back channels is telling.

Although the "right" solution (as I advocated in my post above and what I did in my own system) is to have identical drivers all around, it's obviously perfectly possible to get a pleasing surround experience with speakers that don't completely match because most sources just don't drive the rears anywhere close to full range.

Plus, (and this is clearly heresy) I was sitting in a crowd at a noisy show at an arena and realized that the ambient noise clearly had a totally different timbre depending on where and how far it was coming from relative to my position.

Therefore, although the pink noise test clearly indicates a match between the speakers (and is the recognized ideal), as long as the speakers are level matched and relatively similar, I suspect that the average listener would still feel the surround field was acceptable while watching movies because 1) our brains are used to the varying qualities of ambient noise and 2) few of us know what many things that happen in movies sound like in real life.

Finally, although the advice to try to get identical drivers/tweeters remains sound, most of the time, we ignore the room's contribution as well (i.e., an identical speaker won't sound the same in various positions around the room in most real-world rooms). Your experience illustrates what intelligent auditioning and competent equalization can do.

Sorry for getting off topic--
post #424 of 5599 Old 04-02-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think you were OT, mvp2005fan, as so many here are trying to learn. Some become almost obsessive about things like matching driver sizes, so perspective is valuable. Your point, "we ignore the room's contribution as well (i.e., an identical speaker won't sound the same in various positions around the room in most real-world rooms)" can't be made often enough.

And, yes, this applies to "real" sounds as well. It's not only acoustics, but our ears are designed to capture much more nuanced information from the front, which inherently permits some latitude for rear speakers.

In movies, pans are telling, and a seamless transition from one speaker to another is the goal (although not all mixes do this as well as they should). This is particularly critical across the front three, if for no other reason than that's where most pans occur. It's my good fortune that front to back pans hold up equally well, but even in previous incarnations (there have been many ), obvious front/back mismatches were not especially disturbing in practice for the reasons you cited.
post #425 of 5599 Old 04-02-2009, 02:05 PM

Liked: 10
Well the new STS's and Nine were delivered today. I'm itching to get them out of the box so I can start breaking them in but still have a few loose ends on the TV install before setting up the new front speakers.

Teaser pics attached. ;-)

Joe
LL
LL
post #426 of 5599 Old 04-02-2009, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #427 of 5599 Old 04-02-2009, 10:59 PM

So here's how my late afternoon went......

Openend up the Mythos Nine and set it up......speaker looks great and set up was straightforward.

Next step open up first STS box....woo hoo....oh cr*p what's this.....a chip in the corner of the main tower at the lower right hand front corner.....ARGHHHH!!!! Ok....stay calm......call ABT Electronics back and ask them how they will handle it.

Talked to a customer service rep and she was wonderful to speak with (I think Jocelyn was her name).....what's that you say.....would I like a replacement sent or a refund.....well I'd like a replacement sent but I don't want to send the damaged one back until the new one gets here......you can make that happen.....wonderful.

(FYI.....Second STS speaker was flawless)

Now on to how they sound......initially was a little concerned that they didn't sound quite as good as the reviews had stated........but wait......what's that I hear........after about 2 hrs of background music running through them they started to warm up a little....much fuller sound.....I need to remember that the manual suggests 40-60 hrs break in before they really start to hit their stride. Willie is currently in the background on a loop......his scratchy melody will be playing all night long helping to break these in.

Joe
post #428 of 5599 Old 04-02-2009, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider View Post

Openend up the Mythos Nine and set it up......speaker looks great and set up was straightforward.

Next step open up first STS box....woo hoo....oh cr*p what's this.....a chip in the corner of the main tower at the lower right hand front corner.....ARGHHHH!!!! Ok....stay calm......call ABT Electronics back and ask them how they will handle it.

Talked to a customer service rep and she was wonderful to speak with (I think Jocelyn was her name).....what's that you say.....would I like a replacement sent or a refund.....well I'd like a replacement sent but I don't want to send the damaged one back until the new one gets here......you can make that happen.....wonderful.

Now on to how they sound......initially was a little concerned that they didn't sound quite as good as the reviews had stated........but wait......what's that I hear........after about 2 hrs of background music running through them they started to warm up a little....much fuller sound.....I need to remember that the manual suggests 40-60 hrs break in before they really start to hit their stride. Willie is currently in the background on a loop......his scratchy melody will be playing all night long helping to break these in.

Joe

Sorry to hear about the damaged speaker--did it look like a problem with shipping or is it the type of defect from the factory.

The reason I ask is that I had to exchange a couple of my Mythos speakers for various flaws (one had some nasty, yellow industrial glue seeping out from under the endcap--actually the protective cloth was stuck to the speaker itself. Others had some rather noticible flaws in the polished finish--large spots that didn't appear polished prior to putting the clear coat on.) I still remember how lousy I felt when I opened the box to that glued speaker mess--I can truly empathize with your situation.

I wonder if perhaps Def Tech needs to tighten up their pre delivery inspections of the speakers.

Anyway, I'm sorry you had the trouble, and hope that ABT takes care of you.
post #429 of 5599 Old 04-03-2009, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Joe

Ahh that sucks. I hate that more then anything. Damaged gear out of the box. It doesn't happen often but I have that fear everytime I buy something shipped.

Give those bad time, If you like them now , wait until they break in. Nice choice.

Dan
post #430 of 5599 Old 04-03-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Sorry to hear about the damaged speaker--did it look like a problem with shipping or is it the type of defect from the factory.

The reason I ask is that I had to exchange a couple of my Mythos speakers for various flaws (one had some nasty, yellow industrial glue seeping out from under the endcap--actually the protective cloth was stuck to the speaker itself. Others had some rather noticible flaws in the polished finish--large spots that didn't appear polished prior to putting the clear coat on.) I still remember how lousy I felt when I opened the box to that glued speaker mess--I can truly empathize with your situation.

I wonder if perhaps Def Tech needs to tighten up their pre delivery inspections of the speakers.

Anyway, I'm sorry you had the trouble, and hope that ABT takes care of you.

Def Tech definitely needs to tighten up their QC department. This was the type of damage that happened at the factory. The chip from the speaker was not in the protective sock and I too had glue (black and sticky) on this speaker seeping out at the bottom with the cloth sock stuck to it.

Joe
post #431 of 5599 Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Def Tech definitely needs to tighten up their QC department. This was the type of damage that happened at the factory. The chip from the speaker was not in the protective sock and I too had glue (black and sticky) on this speaker seeping out at the bottom with the cloth sock stuck to it.

Joe

That's disappointing to hear. If you get a chance, you might consider emailing Def Tech as well to let them know since these might not be isolated incidents. I wonder how many others have had this happen.

The "good" news is that at least ABT will only require you send back your speaker in the original box. The dealer I got mine from required me to double box mine to send back--I had to do a custom cutdown of their original box (which was way too big), and ended up having to supply my own packing materials. Took about an hour to get everything packed, and I muttered under my breath the whole time: "No more speakers by mail order..."

It all eventually worked out well though--got a good speaker in return, and all sounds well. Good luck!
post #432 of 5599 Old 04-03-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

I wonder how many others have had this happen.

I had the protective cloth stuck to some glue on one of my STSs as well. Nothing too serious though, but definitely a production flaw.

To be honest, I'm not sure it's possible to damage these things during shipping short of throwing them off the truck. For what it's worth they are extremely well packaged. The STS speaker comes in a protective cloth, in a plastic bag, in foam cushions, held together by hard cardboard supports, and then double boxed in extra thick boxes. I probably spent about 20 minutes just trying to get the first one unpacked...
post #433 of 5599 Old 04-03-2009, 12:30 PM

I bought a pair of STS's about a month ago. I didn't have any problems with seeping glue, but I did have a problem with a bad subwoofer in one of the speakers. It definitely wasn't shipping damage and probably should have been caught by Def Tech during their QC process. I went the B&M route (Ultimate Electronics), so was able to exchange it fairly quickly and painlessly. I am more than thrilled with my purchase after the initial glitch.
post #434 of 5599 Old 04-03-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by boathik View Post

I just wanted to post a few pics of my just finished basement media room. I designed and built the cabinets, did all the electrical and painting myself so I'm pleased with the results and wanted to share.

My setup:
Sony 46XBR4
Onkyo 876
Sony PS3
Mythos 2's L/R
Mythos 3 Center
Mythos Gem XL Surrounds
Supercube II

I added a 20 amp circuit for the media cabinets, the TV and the back corner where the sub plugs in. It is all protected by a SurgeX hardwire series mode surge protector. The speakers are wired with Belden 12awg. I have Leviton Zwave dimmers controling the lights and also interface with the Logitech 890 remote. (i'm still working on setting up the wired IR emitters in the cabinet and tweeking the remote).

Dude nice system, love the space, but I really lo-lo-love is that rustic coffee table Very Nice!

Djoel
post #435 of 5599 Old 04-04-2009, 09:37 PM

Hi Guys,

I realize for Def Tech owner's the topic of using LFE or not for the towers is a constant discussion but i want to ask anyway for a specific situation. If I hook up Mythos ST's with LFE to a Denon 3808ci (no separate sub) wouldn't i get better performance from the speakers because audyssey can go in and separately adjust the gain for the "subwoofer" from the rest of the tower speaker? Just curious what thoughts are for this situation

Thanks as always guys!

Carrying on the legacy of Len Tweten
post #436 of 5599 Old 04-05-2009, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineRonin View Post

Hi Guys,

I realize for Def Tech owner's the topic of using LFE or not for the towers is a constant discussion but i want to ask anyway for a specific situation. If I hook up Mythos ST's with LFE to a Denon 3808ci (no separate sub) wouldn't i get better performance from the speakers because audyssey can go in and separately adjust the gain for the "subwoofer" from the rest of the tower speaker? Just curious what thoughts are for this situation

Thanks as always guys!

Yes. In my opinion this is the ideal way to set them up. before you run Audyssey, you can use a SPL to set them up manually for music to set the sub level yourself by using the volume knob on the back of the speakers. I would send a test tone to the left speaker in Large and get a 75 SPL at your seating with the sub level at 0. Then bring up the level until you hit 76db and back off slighty. Repeat this on the Right side. Your level should be close enough that Audyssey doesn't have to EQ that much for a poor setting. This should also help give you a smooth 2 channel experience.

Dan
post #437 of 5599 Old 04-05-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I posted this in the definitive owner's thread but then found this mythos thread. Anyone have any experience with this LCR soundbar? I was set to pull the trigger on a Polk Surroundbar 50 but am able to get a new solo XL for really cheap now that it is discontinued. I know it's only 3.1 but I don't know if the surroundbar 50 would be that big of an improvement as our living room is small and we don't have room for a real 5.1 setup. I have read a few reviews but I would like some hands-on impressions. Thanks in advance!
post #438 of 5599 Old 04-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Cheapest place I've seen the STS was at hxxp://ww.tvcity.tv/ for $1348. Is that considered a good deal?
post #439 of 5599 Old 04-06-2009, 07:08 PM

Liked: 11
You may want to PM folks directly since discussing pricing is frowned upon on AVS site. I read up on posts that discussed my model and then PM'd direct. Everyone was very good about getting back to me with info. Wish I could help on STS but am looking at Mythos 1's. Good luck.
post #440 of 5599 Old 04-07-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsform1 View Post

Cheapest place I've seen the STS was at hxxp://ww.tvcity.tv/ for $1348. Is that considered a good deal?

Price is one thing to consider. Remember that non-authorized dealers may not be able to offer the full manufacturers warranty. Even if they say the item retains the manufacturers warranty, Def Techs policy states,
Quote:

"Our warranty applies only to the original purchaser. Products purchased from non-authorized dealers have already been sold once (to the non-authorized dealer) and therefore are second-hand goods by the time they come into your possession and are not covered by Definitive's warranty."

For some people this isn't important, but it's definitely something to consider.
post #441 of 5599 Old 04-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post

Price is one thing to consider. Remember that non-authorized dealers may not be able to offer the full manufacturers warranty. Even if they say the item retains the manufacturers warranty, Def Techs policy states,
For some people this isn't important, but it's definitely something to consider.

That's true and I myself think its important when paying so much! If something goes wrong with them you are screwed! Prices on the STS are at MSRP typically so better be safe and just pay MSRP. Even though I hate paying MSRP.

Thanks Guys!
post #442 of 5599 Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 AM

Liked: 11
After reading some of the recent posts, I am a bit concerned with DT Mythos quality control-especially considering their sales price. Would be interesting to hear from owners about your experience regarding any flaws noticed at time of delivery and any speaker failures after installation.
post #443 of 5599 Old 04-07-2009, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You may want to PM folks directly since discussing pricing is frowned upon on AVS site. I read up on posts that discussed my model and then PM'd direct. Everyone was very good about getting back to me with info...

1+ Thank you for the reminder, Murray1

Let's help keep this thread from being closed by keeping all non-MRSP pricing discussions to PM only.
post #444 of 5599 Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After reading some of the recent posts, I am a bit concerned with DT Mythos quality control-especially considering their sales price. Would be interesting to hear from owners about your experience regarding any flaws noticed at time of delivery and any speaker failures after installation.

Murray:

While I think it's true that Def Tech could improve some of their recent QA processes, please keep in mind that we very likely represent a small minority of all Def Tech purchasers.

Although I had a glue problem with the speaker as described before, once I got my replacement, I have had no problems, and have been thrilled by their performance--they are all I could have asked for. I wouldn't let these few reports scare you off from the speakers--they are designed well.

As long as you purchase from an authorized dealer with a solid return policy, you should be OK. Several of the authorized on-line dealers are very good about replacements in my personal experience, and the B & M authorized dealers should be able to do this as well.
post #445 of 5599 Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsform1 View Post

That's true and I myself think its important when paying so much! If something goes wrong with them you are screwed! Prices on the STS are at MSRP typically so better be safe and just pay MSRP. Even though I hate paying MSRP.

Thanks Guys!

Contact Axxis Audio John..

He's an authorized dealer..

axxisdurango.com
post #446 of 5599 Old 04-07-2009, 02:45 PM

Total newbie and my first of I hope many posts

Looking to start upgrading my system and my rear Sony wireless are the 1st to go with also I hope an upgrade of my Sony DE925 to a Denon 3808ci receiver.

I am looking at the Mytho Gems or the Promonitors 600/800's.

I currently have a Wharfedale center, Dalhquist sub and some really big and old DB+ fronts.

I am looking to primarily use my system for TV and movies and music a far third.

I know it is in the ear of the beholder, but what would you recommend based on what I have now to start with?

I will eventually update for sure my center, and the fronts and most likely keep the 12" sub, since it is a nicer unit.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome.

post #447 of 5599 Old 04-07-2009, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The Gems were modeled after the BP design, with drivers facing in opposite directions, while the monitors are your more traditional direct radiating design.

Where will the surrounds be going? Side mounted, rear mounted? How far is the sofa from the back wall? Is there more than one listening position? If there is, are the other areas a concern? Do you plan on 7.1 in the future?
post #448 of 5599 Old 04-07-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I am starting to grow jealous of all these new ST/STS owners.
post #449 of 5599 Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

The Gems were modeled after the BP design, with drivers facing in opposite directions, while the monitors are your more traditional direct radiating design.

Where will the surrounds be going? Side mounted, rear mounted? How far is the sofa from the back wall? Is there more than one listening position? If there is, are the other areas a concern? Do you plan on 7.1 in the future?

The surrounds would be for the rear and be 2-4 feet from the main listener about 100-120 degrees. They would be on stands and there is an big open area of room behind them. My basement is one long room and about half way is the couch and the rears are behind that. The sofa is about 12-14 ft from the front wall where the plasma is and the center and fronts. The sub is to the right of the couch and close to the right rear.
I doubt I will do the 7.1 in this room configuration, but maybe if we finish the remainder of the basement, that may allow for a different confirguation. I think 6.1 with a or some center rears is possible.

post #450 of 5599 Old 04-07-2009, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I feel the Gems would fill the area nicely with sound.

If you were looking to purchase with 6.1 in mind, and wall mounting may be an option down the road, I would look to the BPx's.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page