Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 157 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4681 of 5583 Old 04-06-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yea I am thinking of getting a new stand just so I can place the 8080 on top.

This is my friends setup and that stand can be had for around $110-$120. It should comfortably fit one large item like my amp and one smaller item like an xbox in each compartment. Also he has my same TV which is a 60" for reference.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 5583 Old 04-06-2012, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello SD,
These are good points, and thanks for your detailed answer. You have more experience with Audyssey than I do. Your first paragraph shows that you have a real-world perspective, too. One can make all of this stuff sound incredible, if one has a situation in which placement is 100% under your own control. So many customers don't quite have that luxury, though, so thank you for recognizing that. Best, Joe
post #4683 of 5583 Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Definitive View Post

Hello SD,
These are good points, and thanks for your detailed answer. You have more experience with Audyssey than I do. Your first paragraph shows that you have a real-world perspective, too. One can make all of this stuff sound incredible, if one has a situation in which placement is 100% under your own control. So many customers don't quite have that luxury, though, so thank you for recognizing that. Best, Joe

Call it a learning curve - if I hadn't heard the difference, I would have been happy with the in-cabinet/shelf placement, and as Mantis says, with a non-powered sub it doen't matter in the same way. But I don't have 100% freedom: I had to get WAF for the outside the entertainment center Lovan stand. It only goes so far, though. I can't get rid of furniture and move the MLP sofa to the optimal spot for Audyssey, and I couldn't do a true sub crawl practically.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4684 of 5583 Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 PM

Liked: 10
For whats its worth I have the 8060 center (paired with the STSs) inside a Standout Designs stand. I had Jeff Meier (UMR) calibrate my sound system last year and he was surprised that the 'numbers' came out just fine with the center inside the enclosed cabinet. He initially thought by being inside it would not sound its best.
post #4685 of 5583 Old 04-10-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavikk View Post

For whats its worth I have the 8060 center (paired with the STSs) inside a Standout Designs stand. I had Jeff Meier (UMR) calibrate my sound system last year and he was surprised that the 'numbers' came out just fine with the center inside the enclosed cabinet. He initially thought by being inside it would not sound its best.

Hello Slavikk,
Jeff is right: a center channel won't sound it's best inside a cabinet. But it can come pretty close, and by playing around with crossover point, phase, or whatever else you have at your disposal, you can make it sound pretty good. Having a system that looks cosmetically appealing is important too. Once you get it sounding the best you can, enjoy the heck out if it! That's why we build these things. You work hard, so enjoy your play time. Best, Joe
post #4686 of 5583 Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 AM

Without reading the whole thread, what's the verdict on the shallow depth XTR center channels such as the XTR 40 or 50?

I'll likely be slim mounting an LED and would like the mounted speaker below it to be as thin or almost as thin. Are these good speakers?
post #4687 of 5583 Old 04-17-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

Without reading the whole thread, what's the verdict on the shallow depth XTR center channels such as the XTR 40 or 50?

I'll likely be slim mounting an LED and would like the mounted speaker below it to be as thin or almost as thin. Are these good speakers?

Nice speakers, ideal for matching a low profile LED mount. I use them as my mains, though, and a Procenter 1000 for my center. I think they sound very good, but there is no bass. Assume you'll need a sub for anything below 100 Hz or even 125Hz.

They've gotten a few good pro reviews also. I have links and photos here-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1398848
post #4688 of 5583 Old 04-18-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_C View Post

Nice speakers, ideal for matching a low profile LED mount. I use them as my mains, though, and a Procenter 1000 for my center. I think they sound very good, but there is no bass. Assume you'll need a sub for anything below 100 Hz or even 125Hz.

They've gotten a few good pro reviews also. I have links and photos here-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1398848

Do you find them almost too thin compared to LEDs? As even slim mounts are 1.5 inches off the wall plus the 1.5 of the LED itself puts it double the depth.
post #4689 of 5583 Old 04-18-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Do you find them almost too thin compared to LEDs? As even slim mounts are 1.5 inches off the wall plus the 1.5 of the LED itself puts it double the depth.

Hi Super,
They match up really well. The bracket we include moves it out from the wall a touch. There is some curvature to the Mythos - looks cool. Best, Joe
post #4690 of 5583 Old 04-18-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:

I have a very low profile Peerless fixed mount with the 55" Samsung LED. The TV and speakers are almost an exact match in thickness, but the XTR-50 are a hair shorter in height when viewed from the front by maybe 3/8" top and bottom or something. The speakers taper a little in thickness as Joe mentioned, but at their thickest point, the speakers are the same thickness as the TV (including mounts) as you may be able to see in the photo with the top view in the post I linked.

If you use a tilting or pivoting mount or one with more of a gap between wall and TV, then the TV will definitely protrude more than these speakers.
post #4691 of 5583 Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM

Liked: 12
Hi All - huge thread, so please excuse me if any of this is a repeat. I'm considering doing a Mythos 5.1 system:

fronts: Mythos ST SuperTowers
center: Mythos Ten
rear surrounds: Mythos Gem XL

With the following:
AVR: Pioneer Elite SC-57
TV: Sharp Elite Pro
Blu-ray layer: Oppo 95

room size: about 18 ft L x 12 ft W x 10 ft H

The fronts will be placed really close to the wall where the TV is mounted as well as close to the side walls. I'm guessing this placement rules out bipolars like the DefTech BP 8080STs?

What do you think - are the speakers a good match for the AVR and set-up? Would I miss a standalone subwoofer? Anything from DefTech that would do better then the GEM XLs for the surrounds (they're going to be jammed in the back corners of the room)? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
JD
post #4692 of 5583 Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 PM

Hi guys I'm using the Gem XL with the stands, what kind of banana plugs you recommend?
post #4693 of 5583 Old 04-24-2012, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_alpha View Post

Hi All - huge thread, so please excuse me if any of this is a repeat. I'm considering doing a Mythos 5.1 system:

With the following:

The fronts will be placed really close to the wall where the TV is mounted as well as close to the side walls. I'm guessing this placement rules out bipolars like the DefTech BP 8080STs?

What do you think - are the speakers a good match for the AVR and set-up? Would I miss a standalone subwoofer? Anything from DefTech that would do better then the GEM XLs for the surrounds (they're going to be jammed in the back corners of the room)? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
JD

Yes the 8080's are out if they have to live tight to the front wall, even the ST's are not going to sound their best in this placement. Why not check out the STS and move them out just a bit as they are slightly smaller then the ST? They I would suggest all 9's center and surrounds. This is the best overall balanced sounding system for the STS. Same goes with the STs, I suggest all 10's center and surrounds if you have the room in this tight corner thing.

Actually I suggest going in ceiling if space is so tight. Then you can place the surrounds in their proper placement and In ceiling from Def Tech are amazing as you give up nothing in doing so. Better placement is better then not so good placement but having the exact matching surrounds.
If you go ST then I suggest these in ceilings - UIW RCS II's. They ROCK dude and if you place them correctly , you will be amazed how damn good they are. You can do a full in ceiling theater with them as I have many many times and be totally amazed with their performance even if you like 2 channel music listening. I suggest a Supercube reference or I with them. I also suggest using 2 subs like 2 Supercube 1's in the front of the room. With the SC57 you will be blown away. You can also use another pair of them for surround back and totally murder it.
DI8R's are also a good choice and sound amazing. Dynamic as hell and clear as a whistle. Truly amazing speakers for surrounds or anything you want to use them for. I have Installed so many pairs of them and never once felt they underperformed. Most In ceiling speakers are designed for back ground music for multi room systems but then there are the ones that perform , these are one of those.
Also if you have to have your speakers in the front so tight why not go with 3 Mythos 10's on wall? Then add a Supercube I or 2 of them and have a better sounding system then floor standing done wrong? Even 3 9''s will sound better then the STS done wrong. Thing about these options as better placement always outperforms crappy placement with floor standing speakers. Actually I think on wall sounds better for movies then floor standing. I love me a full Mythos 10 theater with all 9 channels Mythos 10's and a few Supercubes in the room. You have a super dynamic crazy badass theater package that will scare most people out of their seats when a dynamic pass hits.

Think before you but bro.
post #4694 of 5583 Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 AM

Hi JD,
Mantis makes a whole lot of good points in this very detailed answer to your question. My only additional input: I would not say that going up against a wall totally rules out the BP 8080 ST, or the Mythos ST. It is true that they, or any tower speaker, won't sound its best when placed directly against the wall. You can prove this to yourself by asking a friend to stand flat against a wall and recite a sentence. Then get that person to move out from the wall just a few feet and repeat the sentence. You'll note some funny "chestiness" when they are flush against the wall. But still, cosmetics matter, and a really good speaker against a wall can still sound pretty good. Can you by chance pull them out even 4-6 inches from the wall? That will improve things. I hope this helps - best, Joe
post #4695 of 5583 Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:

With the following:

Thanks,
JD

I have almost this exact setup. I have ST's with a 10 center in a similarly sized room and everything is 4-5" from the wall. It works quite well with a good tonal balance and plenty of bass to fill the room. The STS's are a bit smaller which can help with placement but I found that the midrange was cleaner with the ST's. If you don't listen to female vocalists, you probably won't notice the difference.
post #4696 of 5583 Old 04-24-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

With the following:

Thanks,
JD

I have the sts and gem xl. Adding the mythos 9 soon. I have a corner placed 60 in kuro with the sts on directly on either side. It is not ideal placement but it sounds great in my room and just as good as I remember in the ideal showroom. I don't feel I need anything more than the gem xl in that space but your room and needs may be different. I think these speAkers seem to do well with less than ideal placement. I did not listen AB up against the def tech st but I don't feel the need to upgrade. I use them for tv and music but I am building a dedicated ht in the Bsmnt. I mention this bc while the Lfe is great for the size I would be tempted to add a sub for ht use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4697 of 5583 Old 04-24-2012, 02:11 PM

Liked: 17
Hello all.....I just wanted to let everyone know that I just posted for sale a pair of Mythos ST SuperTowers on Audiogon. Here is the link.....

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/def...towers-pair--3

They used to be my mains but have been using them as surround back speakers as I have been gradually switching over to the bi-polar line (BP 7000 series....) Thanks very much!

Also, to comment on some of the above posts as I have had the ST's paired with a Mythos ten in the past. I now use the 8080HD with my BP7000's, BPVX, and MYthos ST's in the back. Not only does everything blend surprisiingly well (3 different generations of speakers here) but the 8080HD was preferrable (to my ears) to the Mythos 10. There is just more weight to the vocals, and it keeps up much better with the larger ST's. Just my 2 cents..... thanks again!

post #4698 of 5583 Old 04-24-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:

With the following:

Thanks,
JD

If you decide to go with the ST's - definitely listen to them with the 8080HD center along with the Ten (nothing against this very competent speaker as I have owned this as well) if you can. Also, consider older BPX's with with the ST's. If asthetics are not an issue, I think you'll be surprised with how well they blend together with the Mythos series and they give you one heck of a surround field for the money. Also - have you considered going with Mythos Ones or Fours as your surrounds? Being in a back corner - you may find you like the flexibility of having slim towers - and they will blend better (dig a bit deeper) with a sub or your ST's than the XL's.

post #4699 of 5583 Old 04-25-2012, 10:53 AM

Selling my 2 month old pair of Definitive Technology DI 6.5R inceiling/inwall surrounds. They're in great condition and come with the original packaging. They're super easy to install. If anyones interested shoot me a pm. Letting them go for cheap.

Thanks
post #4700 of 5583 Old 04-25-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post

Selling my 2 month old pair of Definitive Technology DI 6.5R inceiling/inwall surrounds. They're in great condition and come with the original packaging. They're super easy to install. If anyones interested shoot me a pm. Letting them go for cheap.

Thanks

Got the upgrade bug already, Lee?:-)

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #4701 of 5583 Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 PM

Don't even own Def Tech anymore. Went with a different setup.
post #4702 of 5583 Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post

Don't even own Def Tech anymore. Went with a different setup.

I think you mentioned that when I sold you my SC-57....Polks?

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #4703 of 5583 Old 04-25-2012, 12:27 PM

Yes.
post #4704 of 5583 Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

I'm considering going to separates with the Integra DHC80.3 and a multichannel amp( Not picked yet as I don't really care for the Integra amp). We are getting the Pro kit and I'm gonna put it through it's paces in our theater room. I'm not even remotely close to being unhappy with MCACC as I feel it's an incredible calibration tool especially on the SC models. I've been doing MCACC calibrations since 2002 when the VSX49 came out which was the very fist in room MCACC calibration receiver. It was a beast and sounded amazing.
Thank you for your input .

I also just picked up the Integra DHC 80.3. This looks like quite a pre/pro and I love the fact that it is 4K ready. I am replacing my Denon 4311 with separates. After much deliberation, I decided to go with the Sunfire TGA 7401 400 w/ch x 7 amplifier. I will be hooking everything up this weekend. I was also quite interested in the new Sherbourn 350 watts x 7 channel amp and the Outlaw 7900. In the end, I really like the design of the Sunfire, and the fact that it is supposed to stay cool and use only the power it needs. The reviews say it is sounds slightly warm which should be a good blend with the "lively/detailed" definitive sound. Good luck with your decision!

post #4705 of 5583 Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 PM

Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between the Mythos STS or BP-8060ST. The problem is one of the speakers won't have a back and side wall to reflect the sound. I believe this would this rule out the BP's? Here's some pictures of my room setup. Thanks!
LL
LL
post #4706 of 5583 Old 04-25-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew313 View Post

Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between the Mythos STS or BP-8060ST. The problem is one of the speakers won't have a back and side wall to reflect the sound. I believe this would this rule out the BP's? Here's some pictures of my room setup. Thanks!

I don't know about the BP's specifically, but the bipolars that I've owned all have needed a back wall to sound their best. Is there a dealer nearby that can maybe allow you to do an in home audition?

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #4707 of 5583 Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

I don't know about the BP's specifically, but the bipolars that I've owned all have needed a back wall to sound there best. Is there a dealer nearby that can maybe allow you to do an in home audition?

Hello Drew, nice Specialized! Chet (customer service) and I ride almost every weekend. The BP 8000 series, with the rear firing drivers @ 6dB down, are the least "placement critical" bipolars we have ever done. Still, Snow's idea of an in home demo is good. If you can't find that, you can probably replicate it in the dealer showroom pretty easily by finding a short wall for the one speaker. If you can't find a dealer who has both on display, I love them both. In general, you get a big more bass from the larger cabinet volume and larger sub of the 8060. The STS is aesthetically awesome, and sonically too. Some prefer one, some the other... strawberry or chocolate ice cream? Best, Joe
post #4708 of 5583 Old 04-26-2012, 11:04 AM

Liked: 12
Hi Joe:

I don't mean to butt-in but I had a few questions about a DefTech 5.1 set-up. I'm considering upgrading to either a Mythos-based or a dipole-based system, but since I'll bascially be jamming the fronts and rear surrounds into room corners I've kind of ruled-out the dipoles.

I'd also prefer to use my current AVR to drive everything: Pioneer Elite SC-57. Is there any DefTech 5.1 system that couldn't be driven well by the SC-57?

I'm thinking: Mythos ST SuperTowers, Mythos Ten center, and Gem XLs for surrounds. Are their floor stands for the Ten's? If yes, I'd consider 2 of those for the surrounds instead.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

Thanks in Advance,
JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Definitive View Post

Hello Drew, nice Specialized! Chet (customer service) and I ride almost every weekend. The BP 8000 series, with the rear firing drivers @ 6dB down, are the least "placement critical" bipolars we have ever done. Still, Snow's idea of an in home demo is good. If you can't find that, you can probably replicate it in the dealer showroom pretty easily by finding a short wall for the one speaker. If you can't find a dealer who has both on display, I love them both. In general, you get a big more bass from the larger cabinet volume and larger sub of the 8060. The STS is aesthetically awesome, and sonically too. Some prefer one, some the other... strawberry or chocolate ice cream? Best, Joe

post #4709 of 5583 Old 04-27-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Hi Joe:

I don't mean to butt-in but I had a few questions about a DefTech 5.1 set-up. I'm considering upgrading to either a Mythos-based or a dipole-based system, but since I'll bascially be jamming the fronts and rear surrounds into room corners I've kind of ruled-out the dipoles.

I'd also prefer to use my current AVR to drive everything: Pioneer Elite SC-57. Is there any DefTech 5.1 system that couldn't be driven well by the SC-57?

I'm thinking: Mythos ST SuperTowers, Mythos Ten center, and Gem XLs for surrounds. Are their floor stands for the Ten's? If yes, I'd consider 2 of those for the surrounds instead.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

Thanks in Advance,
JD

Hi JD, Mythos ST are awesome speakers. Your Elite should have no trouble driving the set-up you describe. Remember that you've got powered subs in the ST, so the receiver is really driving the upper part of the spectrum. Therefore you don't need a behemoth amp for it to sound great. There are no stands for the Ten (it's slanted on both top and bottom), but the Gem XL makes a great surround speaker. You might consider an SC 2000 or 4000 for the rear as well, especially if the room is large (we didn't discuss your room size). Quick edit - I now see your room size is listed above. I'd consider adding a sub in a room that size for theater applications. Fortunately, we have just revamped our subs (SC 2000 - 6000 and soon the SC-8000) and they are great. I hope this helps - best, Joe
post #4710 of 5583 Old 04-28-2012, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew313 View Post

The STS will perform better then the 8060 in that room. As much improvement Def Tech made on the new BP series , they still benefit greatly from good placement and room. So does the STS but is more forgiving in a room such as yours.
I really like the new BP series but I wouldn't buy them for that room. You gotta spec the speakers to the room , it's way more important even IF you like one speaker over another. The room will treaty change your experience , it's the most important part of designing a system.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page