Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 5568 Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray1 View Post

After reading some of the recent posts, I am a bit concerned with DT Mythos quality control-especially considering their sales price. Would be interesting to hear from owners about your experience regarding any flaws noticed at time of delivery and any speaker failures after installation.

I definitely think DT needs to pack their stuff better and QC it better before it heads out the door. At least their towers. I own a pair of BP7004's, a pair of Mythos Ones, a CLR2002 and a SC1. Out of that, I had to exchange one of the BP7004's. Damaged right out of the box. Front corner dented and sock ripped. I blame that on shipping. On top of that, Best Buy gave me a huge hassle exchanging it. Not DT's fault. Too bad for Best Buy - they lost a lot of my business that went to Abt instead over the last couple years.

I originally bought a SC Reference and it had something loose inside right out of the box. Very loud, annoying rattle against the woofer cone every time the bass hit. I doubt that happened in shipping, but who knows? (Worked out ok because the SC Ref was too big for my space anyway.) Thankfully no issues with the SC1, but lots of glue or something on the Mythos Ones that I was able to scrape off, so no need to take them back, but it annoyed me a bit.

DT makes such a great sounding product at a decent price, but they seem a little sloppy on the QC. And what's with the cheap, thin cardboard boxes they ship in? At least the SC's are double boxed. I think back to other speakers I've owned (5.1 Klipsch Reference setup, 5.1 Mirage OM series setup) and all those came in absolute pristine condition in heavy-duty cardboard, not the 1/8" thin stuff DT uses. Seems to me anything they're saving in cardboard packing costs is getting eaten up by returns for damage...

Awww, how cute. You measure your TV's size in inches...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5568 Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post

I definitely think DT needs to pack their stuff better and QC it better before it heads out the door. At least their towers. I own a pair of BP7004's, a pair of Mythos Ones, a CLR2002 and a SC1. Out of that, I had to exchange one of the BP7004's. Damaged right out of the box.
DT makes such a great sounding product at a decent price, but they seem a little sloppy on the QC. And what's with the cheap, thin cardboard boxes they ship in? At least the SC's are double boxed. I think back to other speakers I've owned (5.1 Klipsch Reference setup, 5.1 Mirage OM series setup) and all those came in absolute pristine condition in heavy-duty cardboard, not the 1/8" thin stuff DT uses. Seems to me anything they're saving in cardboard packing costs is getting eaten up by returns for damage...

I can't speak to the BP7004's, but the STSs at least are extremely well packed (see my previous post). My Mythos 3 and Gem XLs were also reasonably well packed for their size.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember reading something about having to send the speakers back to DefTech in the original boxes if you need to have them repaired while they are under warranty. It may be a good idea to keep the boxes!
post #453 of 5568 Old 04-08-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsabre7 View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember reading something about having to send the speakers back to DefTech in the original boxes if you need to have them repaired while they are under warranty. It may be a good idea to keep the boxes!

Much to my wife's chagrin, I have every box for every speaker, DVD player, Bluray player, and AVR I've purchased in the last 15 years. Not only are they handy for shipping back for repairs, but absolutely invaluable when moving.

I agree, the Mythos were packed pretty well. Still kind of a thin outer cardboard box for my likings, but much better than the way my BP's came. I'm just surprised more companies aren't double-boxing big towers for the added protection.

post #454 of 5568 Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 PM

Liked: 11
I posted a similar thread on Polk's forum several weeks ago. Would be nice to know what the Mythos users think. Let us know your thoughts when comparing these two speakers. LSi series requires a supplemental amp so 8 ohm Mythos are sure appealing. For me, application will be for both movies and music.
post #455 of 5568 Old 04-09-2009, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsabre7 View Post

I can see why the STS and ST's would need strong warranties, given the amps involved. However, I was curious, has anyone had a Mythos speaker fail (without abuse)? (I've had my previous system's non-powered Def Tech speakers for over a decade and they work the same as Day 1). I wonder if speakers are like plumbing--if it's going to leak, it typically leaks early.
post #456 of 5568 Old 04-09-2009, 03:18 PM

Got my replacement STS today (first one was chipped). Thought the bass sounded a little boomy at first especially considering that I had it dialed down to the 12:00pm position which is lower than my other STS. After 2hrs of music.........drum roll please.......sub stopped working in new speaker. Talked to DT Customer Service and they took down the serial number of the unit. Also mentioned the other cosmetic issues I had with the first one (glue seeping at the bottom, chip in bottom right corner of speaker). After talking to DT called ABT Electronics and they are sending a replacement speaker out today. God I hope this one works right.

Joe
post #457 of 5568 Old 04-09-2009, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider View Post

Got my replacement STS today (first one was chipped). Thought the bass sounded a little boomy at first especially considering that I had it dialed down to the 12:00pm position which is lower than my other STS. After 2hrs of music.........drum roll please.......sub stopped working in new speaker. Talked to DT Customer Service and they took down the serial number of the unit. Also mentioned the other cosmetic issues I had with the first one (glue seeping at the bottom, chip in bottom right corner of speaker). After talking to DT called ABT Electronics and they are sending a replacement speaker out today. God I hope this one works right.

Joe

Joe--that stinks! Def Tech needs to get their act together on these. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the third speaker.
post #458 of 5568 Old 04-10-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

I can see why the STS and ST's would need strong warranties, given the amps involved. However, I was curious, has anyone had a Mythos speaker fail (without abuse)? (I've had my previous system's non-powered Def Tech speakers for over a decade and they work the same as Day 1). I wonder if speakers are like plumbing--if it's going to leak, it typically leaks early.

I've only had my Mythos for four months, which isn't enough time to comment on their longevity. However, I've had dozens of speakers over the years and none of them have failed in the first decade. After that, sometimes surround rot has set in and/or crossover parts have died, but I still have speakers that are much more than a quarter century old, and still running as well as they ever did.

I think that your plumbing analogy applies. They fail quickly or last "forever."
post #459 of 5568 Old 04-10-2009, 04:27 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

in the new home theater mag, there's a nice 2 page spread for the STS with a cut-away view of the insides of the STS and boasting across the top "sound & vision" audio product of the year

pretty cool

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #460 of 5568 Old 04-10-2009, 05:25 PM

Barkingspider,

Sorry to hear about your failures. DT better get it together as potential customers like me get a bit spooked when we hear about repeated failures. Thank goodness you purchased thru a top notch dealer. They should be commended by DT for going the extra mile and covering DT's behind. Sure would be appropriate for a DT manager to join in and give us some background on what appears to be a QC problem.
post #461 of 5568 Old 04-12-2009, 07:14 PM

just bought a pair of sts. when I got them home and started listening, they make a hiss or buzzing noise during high notes. will this go away after the break-in period or are they messed up. when I went back to the store, the floor models do not do this with the same music cd. do i have rattle trap / blown speakers?
post #462 of 5568 Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 AM

Anyone know how these compare in sound for HT and Music? MSRP is the same for both and are owned by the same corporation.
post #463 of 5568 Old 04-13-2009, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyf150 View Post

just bought a pair of sts. when I got them home and started listening, they make a hiss or buzzing noise during high notes. will this go away after the break-in period or are they messed up. when I went back to the store, the floor models do not do this with the same music cd. do i have rattle trap / blown speakers?

Assuming you have a clean audio source at home, and that your AV amps/receivers are not the issue (i.e. good power with low distortion), I'd exchange the speakers--the tweeters in these speakers should handle normal material quite easily, even at pretty high volumes/power. Mine sounded crystal clear right out of the box--no hiss/no harshness.

The Mythos line in general does not require a lot of break-in to sound good. Good luck!
post #464 of 5568 Old 04-13-2009, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello all,

I am running Mythos STS for fronts, Mythos Ten for Center and Mythos Gem XL's x 4 for surrounds. I am also using a HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub with a MBM-12. I have them all powered by a Denon 3808Ci into an Outlaw 7125 Amp

My questions are: what is everyone's favorite amplifier for the Mythos series??? Also, do you guys use them with the grills on or off???

I really love this system and have been through many systems before settling on this. The best addition for me was buying a MBM-12, setting the crossover for the ten center at 100hz and placing the MBM next to the center. It produces full, crisp dialogue that you wouldn't believe.
post #465 of 5568 Old 04-13-2009, 12:50 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post

The best addition for me was buying a MBM-12, setting the crossover for the ten center at 100hz and placing the MBM next to the center. It produces full, crisp dialogue that you wouldn't believe.

that's pretty cool. where do you cross the mains and surrounds at ?

any pics ?

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #466 of 5568 Old 04-13-2009, 01:43 PM

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/home...spiffy-ht.html

I don't cross the mains (although I probably should) and I cross the surrounds at 120.
post #467 of 5568 Old 04-13-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Assuming you have a clean audio source at home, and that your AV amps/receivers are not the issue (i.e. good power with low distortion), I'd exchange the speakers--the tweeters in these speakers should handle normal material quite easily, even at pretty high volumes/power. Mine sounded crystal clear right out of the box--no hiss/no harshness.

The Mythos line in general does not require a lot of break-in to sound good. Good luck!

I have new Yamaha 863 receiver. My old Boston Acoustic 930 speakers sound just fine with the same source / music CD. The tweeters in the STS speakers must be damaged. The sales rep said they would gladly exchange them out. Thanks for your help.
post #468 of 5568 Old 04-13-2009, 07:35 PM

What is the 'best practice' for getting front speakers with subs in them when you already have a sub in your setup? I have a 15 inch Dahlquist sub and I just bought some Gems and will be looking next to the center and the fronts.
I am thinking the Mythos 3 for the center, but really no clue for the fronts.

post #469 of 5568 Old 04-14-2009, 06:44 AM

Hey guys wondering if you can help me out just hooked up my set-up of Mythos 2(L,R), Mythos 3(center) & Gem XL's for surround w/ a Supercube 1. My dilema is while i was reading the manual for the SC1 it states i can hook up my fronts directly to it to have the lows roll off and be able to run speakers @ full range what is the diffrence between this type of hook up or just running LFE. Thank you in advance any input will be greatly appreciated.
post #470 of 5568 Old 04-14-2009, 09:30 AM

Hey guys

I was looking into buying a set of Mythos. 6ave.com is doing a Name Your Price sale so I was looking to jump in. Also I know price talk is prohibited so if anyone wants to PM me on what I should be asking for I would really appreciate it.

Which setup would you recommend?

Mythos ST
Mythos 10
2 Gem XL

or

Mythos STS
Mythos 3 (6ave doesnt seem to sell the Mythos 9 but if its worth getting over the 3 I will buy elsewhere)
2 Gem

Basically I would like to know what the difference is between the ST and STS. I tried looking at ST and STS reviews online and none seem to compare the two's pros and cons. I am trying to avoid having to purchase a subwoofer. The ST seems to be more powerful but the STS seems to be newer technology with the BDSS so I'm not sure which would be better speakers. Are the STS great because of the size and price or are they actually better sounding than their older brother?

I appreciate any responses.

Thanks
post #471 of 5568 Old 04-14-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiPeti View Post

Hey guys

I was looking into buying a set of Mythos. 6ave.com is doing a Name Your Price sale so I was looking to jump in. Also I know price talk is prohibited so if anyone wants to PM me on what I should be asking for I would really appreciate it.

Which setup would you recommend?

Mythos ST
Mythos 10
2 Gem XL

or

Mythos STS
Mythos 3 (6ave doesnt seem to sell the Mythos 9 but if its worth getting over the 3 I will buy elsewhere)
2 Gem

Basically I would like to know what the difference is between the ST and STS. I tried looking at ST and STS reviews online and none seem to compare the two's pros and cons. I am trying to avoid having to purchase a subwoofer. The ST seems to be more powerful but the STS seems to be newer technology with the BDSS so I'm not sure which would be better speakers. Are the STS great because of the size and price or are they actually better sounding than their older brother?

I appreciate any responses.

Thanks

Other than driver and cabinet size, there isn't any difference in the technology between the ST and STS. The STS is essentially a scaled down ST. The ST should be a bit better suited for a large room, and does have about a 1/4 to 1/3 octave greater bass extension. Some have said they believe the ST has greater dynamic range as well.

My ears could not detect much, if any, difference between them in the dealer's showroom. Others have expressed a different opinion, though.

FWIW, I decided on a system much like your second option (with different rears) and have been delighted with it. My room is medium sized, though, so I can't comment on how it would do in a large room.

As for the Three vs the Nine, I would have bought the Nine if it had been released when I got mine, but now that I have a Three, I'm not sure how much difference I would actually hear. In my room, the Three blends as perfectly with the STS's as I could expect a horizontal speaker to blend with vertical ones. Still, I'd probably feel better with the Nine, because I'd know that the mid/tweeter was identical to the STS.

I'll PM some price info.
post #472 of 5568 Old 04-14-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramador View Post

Hey guys wondering if you can help me out just hooked up my set-up of Mythos 2(L,R), Mythos 3(center) & Gem XL's for surround w/ a Supercube 1. My dilema is while i was reading the manual for the SC1 it states i can hook up my fronts directly to it to have the lows roll off and be able to run speakers @ full range what is the diffrence between this type of hook up or just running LFE. Thank you in advance any input will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16199942&highlight=lfe+mythos#post16199942[/url]

My understanding is that most people do not hear a difference between running LFE AND speaker wire to the Mythos towers. Most simply run a speaker cable.

I personally run speaker cable to my Mythos ST towers and set my Denon to Large for the towers. I also have a pair of HSU ULS-15's that I run LFE. My understanding is that by setting receiver to "large" that it sends the complete frequency range to the towers. The LFE is still sent to the Subwoofer. This setup utilizes the subs built into the Mythos towers as well as the separate subwoofer. There are a ton of opinions and I encourage you to search LFE under both Definitive and Speaker forum.
post #473 of 5568 Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Other than driver and cabinet size, there isn't any difference in the technology between the ST and STS. The STS is essentially a scaled down ST. The ST should be a bit better suited for a large room, and does have about a 1/4 to 1/3 octave greater bass extension. Some have said they believe the ST has greater dynamic range as well.

My ears could not detect much, if any, difference between them in the dealer's showroom. Others have expressed a different opinion, though.

FWIW, I decided on a system much like your second option (with different rears) and have been delighted with it. My room is medium sized, though, so I can't comment on how it would do in a large room.

As for the Three vs the Nine, I would have bought the Nine if it had been released when I got mine, but now that I have a Three, I'm not sure how much difference I would actually hear. In my room, the Three blends as perfectly with the STS's as I could expect a horizontal speaker to blend with vertical ones. Still, I'd probably feel better with the Nine, because I'd know that the mid/tweeter was identical to the STS.

I'll PM some price info.

I am very happy with my 7.1 Mythos system. It is similar to your first option....

Mythos ST (pair) L&R
Mythos 10 center
Mythos GEM XL (surround and rear (4))
HSU ULS-15 subwoofers (2)

I have a very large room (1000 sq ft plus). I would think the Mythos ST could handle the bass w/o a separate sub for an average 15 ft by 15 ft room. They did ok in my very large room but adding the subs definitely improved the movie experience.

I have read very positive reviews on the STS's. How is 6ave.com's return policy? I would imagine return shipping might be pricey on the towers. I am sure you would be happy with either.

FYI I recently went from 5.1 to 7.1 and do not notice much of a difference. There is very little difference. In hindsight, I would not spend the money for 7.1. as there are only a handful of movies encoded for it.
post #474 of 5568 Old 04-14-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post

Hello all,

I am running Mythos STS for fronts, Mythos Ten for Center and Mythos Gem XL's x 4 for surrounds. I am also using a HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub with a MBM-12. I have them all powered by a Denon 3808Ci into an Outlaw 7125 Amp

My questions are: what is everyone's favorite amplifier for the Mythos series??? Also, do you guys use them with the grills on or off???

I really love this system and have been through many systems before settling on this. The best addition for me was buying a MBM-12, setting the crossover for the ten center at 100hz and placing the MBM next to the center. It produces full, crisp dialogue that you wouldn't believe.

I just bought an Emotiva XPA-3 to run my two Mythos One's (R+L) and a CLR2002 center. I love it. I haven't done any actual scientific measuring or A/B testing, but the Ones sure seem to be outputting way more bass with the XPA-3 than they did using my AVR's amp. I had to unplug my sub to make sure I was hearing what I thought I was hearing. Nothing but anecdotal evidence here, but even the wife said she noticed "more low sound" with the Emotiva driving the fronts. And that was an unsolicited response.

Now, having said all that, I'm not sure you'd see as much benefit with an external amp like this with the STS's since the subs are already powered. But with the One's, I'm no longer laughing at the published freq. response of 20 Hz to 30 kHz. I still don't think they're actually getting down to 20 Hz at any usable dB, but for 2-channel music without a sub, I'm loving the sound from my Emotiva + Mythos Ones. There's enough bass now that for movies, I've set the X-Over to 50 Hz and use the SC1 only for LFE. I'm very happy. YMMV...

post #475 of 5568 Old 04-14-2009, 08:14 PM

Yeah, I prefer the sound of my speakers running through my Outlaw amp. These are very efficient speakers so I didn't go with the larger amp. I run about 130 wpc all channels driven but it's even easier on the amp because I have them all crossovered so high. Anyways, I am completely satisfied with the sound and they are plenty loud and crystal clear in my 11x15 room. I wouldn't, however, run these speakers without subs. I don't believe the included subs on the Sts are powerful enough to make the kind of impact that I am looking for.

So, does anyone run these without grills???
post #476 of 5568 Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 AM

I've read alot of post in this thread that the mythos 3 (center) works well with mythos ones (front L/R). But I also read that def tech recommends the mythos 8 center. I know the 8 uses the same drivers as the one's so it may make sense to go with those, but my question is, is there a noticable sound difference between the 2 that will justify the extra cost of the mythos 8?

I'm really torn between the two and haven't had a chance to test them out side by side. The best I've done is heard the 8 one day at one store, then the 3 another day at a different store. Too hard to tell.
post #477 of 5568 Old 04-15-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebiz11 View Post

I've read alot of post in this thread that the mythos 3 (center) works well with mythos ones (front L/R). But I also read that def tech recommends the mythos 8 center. I know the 8 uses the same drivers as the one's so it may make sense to go with those, but my question is, is there a noticable sound difference between the 2 that will justify the extra cost of the mythos 8?

I'm really torn between the two and haven't had a chance to test them out side by side. The best I've done is heard the 8 one day at one store, then the 3 another day at a different store. Too hard to tell.

Hi, Teebiz: I have owned both speakers as center channels.

The improvement with the 8 is only by a matter of degrees. Both match the ones extremely well, and the 3 is amazingly close to the 8. I felt the 8 plays a little louder without distortion (if that is important to you) and has a deeper extension.

However, I think most folks would be hard pressed to tell the difference unless there was a true a/b comparison. I really think either one works very, very well--I eventually went for the 8 because I think the center channel is the most important speaker in a multichannel system...and because I think I would have regretted not gettting the 8 (if that makes any sense). Both are fine speakers, and you'd be in good stead with either.

Good luck!
post #478 of 5568 Old 04-15-2009, 04:27 PM

Thanks, but what is deep extension?
post #479 of 5568 Old 04-15-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

My room is medium sized, though, so I can't comment on how it would do in a large room.

I'm having the same debate ST vs STS.... unfortunately my local dealer only has the STS set up, and driving up to Ann Arbor or Detroit finds dealers only with the ST set up..... so I can't really listen to both side by side.

I have some questions as to which speaker in what room size.

The speakers will be set up in the basement replacing what is already there. The basement is divided front to back by a half wall with a pool table in the back half. The HT is in the front section. The front room size is 19.5 feet wide however the one side is an open stairway .... it is about 16 feet wide to the stairway but as I stated the stairway is open to the room. The "sweet spot" is about 7 feet back from the front speakers/screen (about 9 feet back from the front wall). The surrounds are about 12 feet from the front wall (five feet behind the sweet spot). The rear surrounds are 26 feet from the front wall. It is a 7.1 system. I have a Yamaha RX-V2700 and have balanced it out with the included mic (and then tweaked it).

The speakers (ST or STS) would be about 9 feet apart... with me sitting about 7 feet in front of them. This would be the set up for 2 channel listening.... the multichannel seating is the same but obviously the surrounds fill in the back and side.

What size room would you consider this? If you only consider the front section it is probably a medium size room (16' wide x 13'deep). Would the ST's be too large for this area.

BTW the surrounds are 6 BP2's and the center is a C1. I have an Infinity SSW-212 (twin 12" subs with 1,000w amp). I can keep the sub in the system if needed.

Any opinions on ST vs STS for this setup?

EAP-2
post #480 of 5568 Old 04-15-2009, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebiz11 View Post

Thanks, but what is deep extension?

Hi, Teebiz: deep extension = greater ability to play low bass notes/sounds. One of the best ways to test this BTW, is to play a DVD or Blu-ray that has a low male voice speaking--will give you an idea of how natural this center will sound with low dialogue. They say that it is easy to pick out when a human voice doesn't sound quite right.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page