Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 184 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5491 of 5599 Old 02-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman24 View Post

I actually have quite a few 7.1 movies 3:10 to Yuma, The Avengers, Belly, Crank 2, Dark City, Dredd, IP Man, Jurassic Park Series, Kick Ass, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, Pan's Labyrinth, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Rambo, Shoot 'Em Up, Scarface, Star Trek Movies, The Arrival, The Eye, The Golden Compass, The Forbidden Kingdom, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, Tron: Legacy, Transporter 3 to name a few. I use a complete HDMI connection for all my devices with my Oppo-93 and Onyko 709. I am amazed with my 5.1 setup but cant wait to fully test a 7.1 system with these speakers. I had a 7.1 system with a Onkyo 906 but with crappy speakers so no comparisons to my 5.1 Mythos system. I am also looking to upgrade my receiver to the next Onkyo Flagship, I know I know I really need amps for these speakers but until I have a house that I own I will stick with the AVR combo for my needs since I live in apartments and townhouses.[/quot

Sounds like you are setup in a great position. I have the same player. Flagship? I definitely am not the one to judge your plans or purchases since I have pulled that same trigger numerous times. Can't say I won't do it again but I think I am finally close to having the system I can be satisfied with. I just want to audition the Mythos ST-L to see if I want to upgrade my ST Towers. welcome to the deep hole of upgraditis.. LOL

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5492 of 5599 Old 02-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Member
 
skiman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kapolei, HI stationed at Schofield Barracks
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman24 View Post

I actually have quite a few 7.1 movies 3:10 to Yuma, The Avengers, Belly, Crank 2, Dark City, Dredd, IP Man, Jurassic Park Series, Kick Ass, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, Pan's Labyrinth, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Rambo, Shoot 'Em Up, Scarface, Star Trek Movies, The Arrival, The Eye, The Golden Compass, The Forbidden Kingdom, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, Tron: Legacy, Transporter 3 to name a few. I use a complete HDMI connection for all my devices with my Oppo-93 and Onyko 709. I am amazed with my 5.1 setup but cant wait to fully test a 7.1 system with these speakers. I had a 7.1 system with a Onkyo 906 but with crappy speakers so no comparisons to my 5.1 Mythos system. I am also looking to upgrade my receiver to the next Onkyo Flagship, I know I know I really need amps for these speakers but until I have a house that I own I will stick with the AVR combo for my needs since I live in apartments and townhouses.[/quot

Sounds like you are setup in a great position. I have the same player. Flagship? I definitely am not the one to judge your plans or purchases since I have pulled that same trigger numerous times. Can't say I won't do it again but I think I am finally close to having the system I can be satisfied with. I just want to audition the Mythos ST-L to see if I want to upgrade my ST Towers. welcome to the deep hole of upgraditis.. LOL

LOL I know the feeling I am usually good at waiting and not always upgrading which makes it more satisfying when I do upgrade. Yeah I know I get a lot of flack for doing just the AVR and no separate power amps, but for my needs, since I am not cranking up the volumes this is more then enough. The ST-L puts a kink into my plans as well because I know I can get the ST Towers for some good deals down the road for all the upgraditis owners but I like new and shiny stuff as well lol!!!
skiman24 is offline  
post #5493 of 5599 Old 02-20-2014, 12:34 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quick question on replacing the five way binding posts on the Mythos St....I followed the directions I'd gotten from Chet back in late December, and didn't have too much problem opening up the base and getting access to the binding post section (in back of the amp, after you disconnect the transformer from the amp board).

Only thing is that there's a nut holding each the post in place, as well as a small piece of metal which is connected to jumpers form the amp board....and apparently no wrench I have has enough sensitivity to remove it. Anybody have any idea about what size wrench might work for this teeny tiny bolt?

Edit: the answer is 7 mm, from your friendly hardware store.

Stuart

 

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

 

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

sdrucker is offline  
post #5494 of 5599 Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 AM
Member
 
Stephen Sutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17

Hi Everyone,

 

First post here.

 

First off I love TV's and Speakers but I don't know much about either.

 

Very interested in the Definitive Technology Speaker system need some advice

 

Looking to improve my family room, the room is 20x20

 

What I have now...

 

I have a Bose 3-2-1 system. No HDMI port because its from 2007

 

I have a Sharp Aquos 52 inch TV also from 2007

 

PS3 and PS4 System

 

I have no receiver

 

I have 5 Berkline Theatre Seats

 

 

I'm looking at maybe getting the 80 inch Sharp Aquos Quatron TV

Receiver

Surround Sound Speaker System

 

Like what I see/hear about the Definitive Technology Mythos ST System. See it for 5595 on their site but saw it on Crutchfield for 4355. Is that a good price for the 5 speaker system? Or should I get each component seperately? I want a surround sound experience that is impressive both visuallly and performance wise. Floor speakers are what catches my eye first especially the towers but I can be convinced to go with wall system. I will need a receiver as I dont have one now in my TV room. I have a receiver that I use for ceiling speakers that I have through out the house but that receiver is in another room so I figured having a different one just for TV and gaming might be the way to go. The receiver I have is a Onkyo TX 8555. I am sure I didn't give enough info as a newbie but I can give you more if needed. I feel I could be someone that gets into this very quickly lol

 

Budget wise: I am saving 500 a month a want to get the items before the next SB at the latest. I have 2k saved already. TV will prob come down a bit by then 4k or less. Don't really have a concrete budget but im thinking 10k for everything would be it so I got 6k for speakers/receiver although 4-5k would be better.

 

Thanks for your help!

Steve


Sharp Aquos LC-80UQ17U
Bowers and Wilkins 683's S1
Bowers and Wilkins htm61 S1
Bowers and Wilkins 685's S1
SVS dual PB 1000's
Denon X-4520ci
Panamax Model: MR5100
Harmony 650 Remote
Stephen Sutton is offline  
post #5495 of 5599 Old 02-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
 
CrazyNurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So*Cal
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Sutton View Post

Hi Everyone,

First post here.

First off I love TV's and Speakers but I don't know much about either.

Very interested in the Definitive Technology Speaker system need some advice

Looking to improve my family room, the room is 20x20

What I have now...

I have a Bose 3-2-1 system. No HDMI port because its from 2007

I have a Sharp Aquos 52 inch TV also from 2007

PS3 and PS4 System

I have no receiver

I have 5 Berkline Theatre Seats


I'm looking at maybe getting the 80 inch Sharp Aquos Quatron TV
Receiver
Surround Sound Speaker System

Like what I see/hear about the Definitive Technology Mythos ST System. See it for 5595 on their site but saw it on Crutchfield for 4355. Is that a good price for the 5 speaker system? Or should I get each component seperately? I want a surround sound experience that is impressive both visuallly and performance wise. Floor speakers are what catches my eye first especially the towers but I can be convinced to go with wall system. I will need a receiver as I dont have one now in my TV room. I have a receiver that I use for ceiling speakers that I have through out the house but that receiver is in another room so I figured having a different one just for TV and gaming might be the way to go. The receiver I have is a Onkyo TX 8555. I am sure I didn't give enough info as a newbie but I can give you more if needed. I feel I could be someone that gets into this very quickly lol

Budget wise: I am saving 500 a month a want to get the items before the next SB at the latest. I have 2k saved already. TV will prob come down a bit by then 4k or less. Don't really have a concrete budget but im thinking 10k for everything would be it so I got 6k for speakers/receiver although 4-5k would be better.

Thanks for your help!
Steve

I think Def Tech speakers give you great value and "bang-for-the-buck". I would recommend going to your local A/V store and audition as much as possible. You could also try the Magnolia Design Centers, too.

Take you favorite music with you and your favorite movies or demo discs. The stores will most likely have the DTS-HD Master or True HD discs playing. There are threads on AVS where people have made their own demo discs (video and audio) which are samples from different movies and albums all thrown together to test or showoff your system.

Crutchfield has good customer service and support but I would demo as much as possible before buying.

You should have enough time to put together a nice system to watch the Chargers in the next Super Bowl! smile.gif

Pioneer PDP-5071HD, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Denon 3311CI, Oppo BDP-93, Emotiva XPA-5, Definitive Mythos ST, Mythos 8, Gem XL, SVS SB-13 Ultra
CrazyNurse is offline  
post #5496 of 5599 Old 02-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Member
 
Stephen Sutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ok... How do you know I'm a bolts fan??? Lol

Sharp Aquos LC-80UQ17U
Bowers and Wilkins 683's S1
Bowers and Wilkins htm61 S1
Bowers and Wilkins 685's S1
SVS dual PB 1000's
Denon X-4520ci
Panamax Model: MR5100
Harmony 650 Remote
Stephen Sutton is offline  
post #5497 of 5599 Old 02-20-2014, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
CrazyNurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So*Cal
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Sutton View Post

Ok... How do you know I'm a bolts fan??? Lol

Are you?!?

I grew up in SD and have followed them since the Air Coryell days.

Hey, if you're down there, check out the Magnolia in the Mission Valley Best Buy. Also, look up bajawaverunner on ebay. This is the clearance house for refurbished Def Tech products. It's in Vista, CA.

Pioneer PDP-5071HD, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Denon 3311CI, Oppo BDP-93, Emotiva XPA-5, Definitive Mythos ST, Mythos 8, Gem XL, SVS SB-13 Ultra
CrazyNurse is offline  
post #5498 of 5599 Old 02-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Member
 
Stephen Sutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNurse View Post


Are you?!?

I grew up in SD and have followed them since the Air Coryell days.

Hey, if you're down there, check out the Magnolia in the Mission Valley Best Buy. Also, look up bajawaverunner on ebay. This is the clearance house for refurbished Def Tech products. It's in Vista, CA.

I am actually from New York but been a Bolts fan since 1981 and go to one away game every season. Been to 15 different stadiums so far!

CrazyNurse likes this.

Sharp Aquos LC-80UQ17U
Bowers and Wilkins 683's S1
Bowers and Wilkins htm61 S1
Bowers and Wilkins 685's S1
SVS dual PB 1000's
Denon X-4520ci
Panamax Model: MR5100
Harmony 650 Remote
Stephen Sutton is offline  
post #5499 of 5599 Old 02-23-2014, 10:42 PM
Member
 
Drdiaboloco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: IN
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What to buy.... what to buy....

I just picked up four Mythos 2's for a song via the Newegg sale, and I'm still trying to figure out what to buy as a center. The Mythos 8 is available for $350, which is cheaper than the 3 at $400-$450 and with larger drivers... I'm thinking I should go with the 8. Any thoughts? The 9 or 10 are excellent, I'm sure, but exceed the current budget.

The Twos are for the L/R front and L/R rear, the latter of which will at first will be the "regular surrounds" and later the rears in a 7.1 system, the L/R surrounds will be in-ceilings. The sub, for now, will be one of my two existing units, an Energy S10.3 or a Klipsch RW-12. Amplification will be via a Pioneer Elite 03 or an Onkyo 626, depending upon which is dedicated to this use.
Drdiaboloco is offline  
post #5500 of 5599 Old 02-24-2014, 06:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdiaboloco View Post

What to buy.... what to buy....

I just picked up four Mythos 2's for a song via the Newegg sale, and I'm still trying to figure out what to buy as a center. The Mythos 8 is available for $350, which is cheaper than the 3 at $400-$450 and with larger drivers... I'm thinking I should go with the 8. Any thoughts? The 9 or 10 are excellent, I'm sure, but exceed the current budget.

The Twos are for the L/R front and L/R rear, the latter of which will at first will be the "regular surrounds" and later the rears in a 7.1 system, the L/R surrounds will be in-ceilings. The sub, for now, will be one of my two existing units, an Energy S10.3 or a Klipsch RW-12. Amplification will be via a Pioneer Elite 03 or an Onkyo 626, depending upon which is dedicated to this use.

Go with the 8. I went from a 3 to an 8. You'll get fuller dialog in the center.

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
post #5501 of 5599 Old 02-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Senior Member
 
CrazyNurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So*Cal
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post

Go with the 8. I went from a 3 to an 8. You'll get fuller dialog in the center.

I have an 8 as my center, too. A lot of people use 10s as a center in an ST setup but I haven't seen the need to change mine out.

Also, have you checked our bajawaverunner? Some great deals if you're comfortable with refurbs.

Pioneer PDP-5071HD, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Denon 3311CI, Oppo BDP-93, Emotiva XPA-5, Definitive Mythos ST, Mythos 8, Gem XL, SVS SB-13 Ultra
CrazyNurse is offline  
post #5502 of 5599 Old 02-24-2014, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNurse View Post

I have an 8 as my center, too. A lot of people use 10s as a center in an ST setup but I haven't seen the need to change mine out.

Also, have you checked our bajawaverunner? Some great deals if you're comfortable with refurbs.


I'm a little on the overkill side. I have the 8 on top of the screen and a 10 on the bottom. The difference between the two is like going from the Mythos One's to the STS. The 8 has a brighter upper end. The 10 has a warmer smooth sound. They work well together.

bajawaverunner on ebay does have good deals. I have purchased several items from the store. Excellent to deal with.
CrazyNurse likes this.

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
post #5503 of 5599 Old 02-24-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I went from a 10 to a cs-8080 and now I'm with a 9.

I sold the cs-8080 partially because of my new tv stand and partially because I am moving to a small location. But I am so very surprised/happy with the 9. I thought I would be dreading the decision to sell the 8080.
FantaXP7 is online now  
post #5504 of 5599 Old 02-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Member
 
Spock1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdiaboloco View Post

What to buy.... what to buy....

I just picked up four Mythos 2's for a song via the Newegg sale, and I'm still trying to figure out what to buy as a center. The Mythos 8 is available for $350, which is cheaper than the 3 at $400-$450 and with larger drivers... I'm thinking I should go with the 8. Any thoughts? The 9 or 10 are excellent, I'm sure, but exceed the current budget.

Why not go with the Mythos 2 for the center? You will get a coherent sound-field and smooth transitions as the actions pans across the screen and to the surrounds.

Even though DefTech says that all the Mythos speakers are voice-matched, a Mythos 8 or 9 WILL sound significantly different from a 2 - enough to bother you if an actor moves and the voice shifts from the center to one of the fronts.

I'd take a coherent sound-field over enhanced mid-range or bass in a Center speaker any day.
Spock1234 is offline  
post #5505 of 5599 Old 02-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Senior Member
 
ben_r_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

I went from a 10 to a cs-8080 and now I'm with a 9.

I sold the cs-8080 partially because of my new tv stand and partially because I am moving to a small location. But I am so very surprised/happy with the 9. I thought I would be dreading the decision to sell the 8080.
Wow, that is VERY surprising. I went from an 8 to a 9 then to a 10 for the center and so far have loved the 10 so much Im thinking of selling my XTR-50's that I use for left and right front and replacing them with two 10's. However I cant imagine coming from a CS-8080! That HAS to be some serious loss on the low end!

ben_r_ is offline  
post #5506 of 5599 Old 02-24-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post

Wow, that is VERY surprising. I went from an 8 to a 9 then to a 10 for the center and so far have loved the 10 so much Im thinking of selling my XTR-50's that I use for left and right front and replacing them with two 10's. However I cant imagine coming from a CS-8080! That HAS to be some serious loss on the low end!

I think it depends on your room, with the placement of the CS-8080 and the amount of space above the top firing woofer as factors if you've also got an external subwoofer.

DK about you, but I've found the crossovers associated with my CS-8080 to vary widely - anywhere from 60 Hz to 120 Hz or higher, depending on whether I have the speaker in a cabinet or open above the woofer, and which REQ method I use (Audyssey XT32 or Trinnov). I don't get that kind of variability with my Mythos ST or Gem XLs, where Audyssey XT32 always gives me 40 Hz as a top recommendation (followed by 60 and 80 Hz with Audyssey Pro) and the Gem XLs come in consistently at 120 Hz or higher. With Trinnov, which calculates crossover as a midpoint between low speaker F6 and high subwoofer F6, my crossovers agree for the mains and surround, and I get the same variability range for the center, and need to add a low shelf filter at 120 Hz to get the center to cross closer to 80 Hz if I want.

Joe may disagree, but one reason for the variation may be due to the frequency response of the center channel from roughly 40 Hz to about 150 Hz. Check out the CS-8080's lab test (green line) on the Sound and Vision review of the center as part of a broader system::

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/definitive-technology-bp-8080st-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

Stuart

 

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

 

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

sdrucker is offline  
post #5507 of 5599 Old 02-24-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post

Wow, that is VERY surprising. I went from an 8 to a 9 then to a 10 for the center and so far have loved the 10 so much Im thinking of selling my XTR-50's that I use for left and right front and replacing them with two 10's. However I cant imagine coming from a CS-8080! That HAS to be some serious loss on the low end!

Haha yea and I realize it's a very odd path of center speakers to have.

The 9 for me is very articulate not as much bass but I have found that I don't miss it like I thought I would.

I'm very surprised myself.
FantaXP7 is online now  
post #5508 of 5599 Old 02-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Member
 
Stephen Sutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17

Took your advice and went to a best buy to check out the sound of some speakers. I got a chance to here the definitive's, the Bowers and Wilkins, and some Logans. Out of all of them I really liked the Bowers and Wilkins the best (C9's). I am more in this for movie/tv then music the guy also told me the Definitive might be better if you're more into music because of the bass but overall I thought the C9's knocked away the definitives. Not sure if 3k for Left and Right speakers is something I want to spend though; looking at around 4-5k for entire setup including receiver so from the research I did the Bowers and Wilkins 683's might be the best bang for my buck. We shall see.


Sharp Aquos LC-80UQ17U
Bowers and Wilkins 683's S1
Bowers and Wilkins htm61 S1
Bowers and Wilkins 685's S1
SVS dual PB 1000's
Denon X-4520ci
Panamax Model: MR5100
Harmony 650 Remote
Stephen Sutton is offline  
post #5509 of 5599 Old 02-25-2014, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
CrazyNurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So*Cal
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Sutton View Post

Took your advice and went to a best buy to check out the sound of some speakers. I got a chance to here the definitive's, the Bowers and Wilkins, and some Logans. Out of all of them I really liked the Bowers and Wilkins the best (C9's). I am more in this for movie/tv then music the guy also told me the Definitive might be better if you're more into music because of the bass but overall I thought the C9's knocked away the definitives. Not sure if 3k for Left and Right speakers is something I want to spend though; looking at around 4-5k for entire setup including receiver so from the research I did the Bowers and Wilkins 683's might be the best bang for my buck. We shall see.

Oh, B&W makes some very nice speakers especially the 800 series (but way out of my price point).

I'm not sure how the newer model of the Def Tech ST sounds compared to prior years, but I'd also check out PSB and Paradigm. The Brits and Canadians sure know how to make speakers. smile.gif

Pioneer PDP-5071HD, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Denon 3311CI, Oppo BDP-93, Emotiva XPA-5, Definitive Mythos ST, Mythos 8, Gem XL, SVS SB-13 Ultra
CrazyNurse is offline  
post #5510 of 5599 Old 02-26-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Ya I'd love to hear some B&W's in my place and do a comparison, but whenever I listen to them I really enjoy their sound.

I thought that Definitive speakers, or I guess the higher end mythos line, would be better as an all around speaker vs. the B&W. But just my thinking.
FantaXP7 is online now  
post #5511 of 5599 Old 02-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Ya I'd love to hear some B&W's in my place and do a comparison, but whenever I listen to them I really enjoy their sound.

I thought that Definitive speakers, or I guess the higher end mythos line, would be better as an all around speaker vs. the B&W. But just my thinking.

I like B&W but prefer the Definitive's ability to do double duty (movies and music) better. Price wise Definitive gives me more for my $'s.

Just got lucky and got a pair of Gem XL's off eBay for a good price to upgrade a pair of Gems I use for surround.

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
post #5512 of 5599 Old 02-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Senior Member
 
CrazyNurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So*Cal
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post

I like B&W but prefer the Definitive's ability to do double duty (movies and music) better. Price wise Definitive gives me more for my $'s.

Just got lucky and got a pair of Gem XL's off eBay for a good price to upgrade a pair of Gems I use for surround.

Bajawaverunner had the XL stands on sale recently. You hardly see these anymore in black.

They're situated too low to me, though.

Pioneer PDP-5071HD, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Denon 3311CI, Oppo BDP-93, Emotiva XPA-5, Definitive Mythos ST, Mythos 8, Gem XL, SVS SB-13 Ultra
CrazyNurse is offline  
post #5513 of 5599 Old 02-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNurse View Post

Bajawaverunner had the XL stands on sale recently. You hardly see these anymore in black.

They're situated too low to me, though.

I saw his. These I got actually lower than his price. Not sure what you mean by situated too low though.

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
post #5514 of 5599 Old 02-26-2014, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
CrazyNurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So*Cal
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post

I saw his. These I got actually lower than his price. Not sure what you mean by situated too low though.

My bad, buddy.

I was talking about the black Def Tech stands for the Gem XL speakers. They kinda match the One, ST, and STS bases.

Pioneer PDP-5071HD, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Denon 3311CI, Oppo BDP-93, Emotiva XPA-5, Definitive Mythos ST, Mythos 8, Gem XL, SVS SB-13 Ultra
CrazyNurse is offline  
post #5515 of 5599 Old 02-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNurse View Post

My bad, buddy.

I was talking about the black Def Tech stands for the Gem XL speakers. They kinda match the One, ST, and STS bases.

LMAO, I think we both read each post in part. Got lucky and the pair of Gem XL cost me $340

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
post #5516 of 5599 Old 02-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Senior Member
 
CrazyNurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So*Cal
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post

LMAO, I think we both read each post in part. Got lucky and the pair of Gem XL cost me $340

That's a good price for a pair.

Pioneer PDP-5071HD, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Denon 3311CI, Oppo BDP-93, Emotiva XPA-5, Definitive Mythos ST, Mythos 8, Gem XL, SVS SB-13 Ultra
CrazyNurse is offline  
post #5517 of 5599 Old 02-27-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've actually done just the opposite, I've downgraded my surrounds from xl to regular gem.

Reason for all the "down grading" is moving into a smaller space. Really still sound great though.

My xl's are on ebay right now...hopefully I get more than $340 biggrin.gif.
CrazyNurse likes this.
FantaXP7 is online now  
post #5518 of 5599 Old 02-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Member
 
RKSKYDANCER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jackson Mi
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi guys

What center channel speaker would be best if using Mythos Gem XL for FL and FR and DI 5.5R in-ceilings for the rear with a SVS SB-1000 sub. Room is only 18' long 12' wide 7.4 ft H. couch is against back wall (reason for in-ceilings) for the surrounds. Choices are Mythos seven, Mythos three or Pro Center 1000. The Pro center 2000 is a little to tall where i want to set it unless it can be set in a cabinet shelf with a lot of room around it. Would that work? I am surprised when looking at spec's on the speakers on Def Tech's  website that they recommend setting the crossover at 80hz for the Pro Center 1000 and 120hz for the Mythos seven? Why is that?


Living room; Samsung UN55F7100 3D LED, Marantz SR5008, Oppo BDP-103, Definitive Mytho 2's fronts, Definitive Pro Center 1000, Definitive Di 5.5R in ceilings, SVS SB-1000 subwoofer, Comcast DVR HD box.

Garage; Sherwood RX-4105 2 channel stereo receiver, Samsung DVD-C500 CD player, Klipsch KG 2.5 med oak speakers
RKSKYDANCER is offline  
post #5519 of 5599 Old 02-27-2014, 07:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

I've actually done just the opposite, I've downgraded my surrounds from xl to regular gem.

Reason for all the "down grading" is moving into a smaller space. Really still sound great though.

My xl's are on ebay right now...hopefully I get more than $340 biggrin.gif.

I hope so too for your sake. There was was a pair just before I got lucky that only reached $345.

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
post #5520 of 5599 Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSKYDANCER View Post

Hi guys
What center channel speaker would be best if using Mythos Gem XL for FL and FR and DI 5.5R in-ceilings for the rear with a SVS SB-1000 sub. Room is only 18' long 12' wide 7.4 ft H. couch is against back wall (reason for in-ceilings) for the surrounds. Choices are Mythos seven, Mythos three or Pro Center 1000. The Pro center 2000 is a little to tall where i want to set it unless it can be set in a cabinet shelf with a lot of room around it. Would that work? I am surprised when looking at spec's on the speakers on Def Tech's  website that they recommend setting the crossover at 80hz for the Pro Center 1000 and 120hz for the Mythos seven? Why is that?

Mythos 3 will blend well and give you a uniform sound across the front.

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off