post #5551 of 5560 Old 05-27-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post

I have a pair of uiw rss ii that I'll be installing as surrounds soon. Will let you know.

Good to know, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 5560 Old 05-29-2014, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post

I've had enough time now with my 3x Mythos 10's and 2x XTR-20BP speakers to post my opinions on them

(snip)

These speakers have no problem getting quite loud and I have watched a couple intense blu-ray's at reference volume and they've held up well. My main complaint comes from the Mythos 10s. They work great for movies but for music...they can be hit and miss. The problem is that the cabinets resonate and they distort audibly at certain bass frequencies. You can actually feel the aluminum cabinet resonate during certain bass heavy music. This is distracting and really makes me wish I had larger speakers sometimes.

I've never noticed this issue during movies. I have just raised the crossovers on the Mythos tens to 100Hz to see if that limits the bass going to the speakers a bit more and will subdue the issue. Time will tell on that one.

But in terms of looks they have them and the sound quality it pretty darn good. I'd recommend this setup to anyone looking to integrate a home theater into a living space.

What are your room dimensions, roughly? Do you have a smartphone and Sound Pressure Level Meter App, if so can you give us a sense of what is achievable at your listening position?

Lastly, please share pics!

Thanks

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #5553 of 5560 Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Ugh, I am wavering now. I found the Definitive Mythos ST-L ($5000 MSRP) to be another contender.

See this review (there are others with the same message)
http://www.soundstageaccess.com/inde...r-loudspeakers

See these measurements taken at the NRC
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/ind...nts&Itemid=153

Product page
http://www.definitivetech.com/products/mythos-st-l

28 page white paper
http://www.definitivetech.com/downlo...nicalBrief.pdf

YouTube Video regarding the ST-L

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #5554 of 5560 Old 07-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just ordered two mythos ST to replace my front right and left speakers. Right now I am using an 11.2 surround setup using all Klipsch reference series. The sound is incredible with the Klipsch when watching movies and surround music, but I prefer to listen to my regular CDs in stereo, and then I find my two bookshelf Klipsch struggling a lot...

I didnt even listen to the mythos ST...the price was so good, importing them new from the States, That will be able to resell those here in Canada at no loss if I am not satisfied...

But I really believe that I will be satisfied

Stef
post #5555 of 5560 Old 07-20-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My current front speakers are Def Tech Power Monitor 500, which I like a lot. I'm thinking of moving them to the back and getting floor standing speakers for the front. I'm looking at (used) Mythos Four (which I believe have the exact same 4 1/2" drivers as the PM 500), or the newer STS (which I believe use different 4 1/2" drivers). The presence of the sub in the STS may not be crucial, since I have the subs in the PM500s (and also have a separate Pinnacle Digital Sub 350).

My question is, bass (subwoofers) aside, is the STS noticeably better sounding than the Mythos Four? And will it still integrate well with the Power Monitor 500s?

I also should mention that one of the things spurring my desire to upgrade is that, beyond the usual movie watching, I am increasingly interested in 5.1 music.

(I've also thought about just getting more PM 500 and maintaining the same speakers all around, but they seem to be pretty rare.)

Thanks for any thoughts!
post #5556 of 5560 Old 07-20-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I finally got around to installing my uiw rss iii speakers. Sound great so far and completes my 7.2 theater room.

Is anybody running a sub in addition to the St or sts speakers? I have a supercube 4000 as the rear but want to upgrade.
post #5557 of 5560 Old 07-22-2014, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post
I finally got around to installing my uiw rss iii speakers. Sound great so far and completes my 7.2 theater room.

Is anybody running a sub in addition to the St or sts speakers? I have a supercube 4000 as the rear but want to upgrade.
I am running a Seaton Submersive HP with my ST's. It is a whole new world.

post #5558 of 5560 Old 07-22-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

I'm running dual SVS PB13U's with my STS's.
post #5559 of 5560 Old 07-22-2014, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can you provide details around your setup? Are you using the subs in the STS speakers in addition to the dual SVS? Are they all on the front stage or are you running them as rear?
post #5560 of 5560 Old 07-24-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Can you provide details around your setup? Are you using the subs in the STS speakers in addition to the dual SVS? Are they all on the front stage or are you running them as rear?
Sorry for the delay in responding.

My SVS subs are near field. I actually use them as end tables next to my couch. The STS's sub's are still being used, but only as they are internally crossed over to cover the bass from 120hz to 80hz (and a crossover isn't a brick wall, so they play bass below 80hz obviously). I have played around with various crossover settings between 40hz to 120hz from the STS's to the Ultras. The best blend I had was with 100hz, but since my daughter learned how to crawl and now walk, I had to move the speakers closer to the front wall which counter-intuitively (at least to me) worked better with a lower crossover (based off both my ears and REW measurements). So now I have them crossed at 80hz.

In the past I've tried using them as full range, and as additional subs, but their roll-off and phase ended up messing with my FR and raised my F3 on my whole system to about 28hz from the 14hz I get just running the Ultra's. They did help smooth my response a bit more above the F3, but I enjoyed the extra extension more.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page