post #5551 of 5569 Old 05-27-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post

I have a pair of uiw rss ii that I'll be installing as surrounds soon. Will let you know.

Good to know, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 5569 Old 05-29-2014, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post

I've had enough time now with my 3x Mythos 10's and 2x XTR-20BP speakers to post my opinions on them

(snip)

These speakers have no problem getting quite loud and I have watched a couple intense blu-ray's at reference volume and they've held up well. My main complaint comes from the Mythos 10s. They work great for movies but for music...they can be hit and miss. The problem is that the cabinets resonate and they distort audibly at certain bass frequencies. You can actually feel the aluminum cabinet resonate during certain bass heavy music. This is distracting and really makes me wish I had larger speakers sometimes.

I've never noticed this issue during movies. I have just raised the crossovers on the Mythos tens to 100Hz to see if that limits the bass going to the speakers a bit more and will subdue the issue. Time will tell on that one.

But in terms of looks they have them and the sound quality it pretty darn good. I'd recommend this setup to anyone looking to integrate a home theater into a living space.

What are your room dimensions, roughly? Do you have a smartphone and Sound Pressure Level Meter App, if so can you give us a sense of what is achievable at your listening position?

Lastly, please share pics!

Thanks

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #5553 of 5569 Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Ugh, I am wavering now. I found the Definitive Mythos ST-L ($5000 MSRP) to be another contender.

See this review (there are others with the same message)
http://www.soundstageaccess.com/inde...r-loudspeakers

See these measurements taken at the NRC
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/ind...nts&Itemid=153

Product page
http://www.definitivetech.com/products/mythos-st-l

28 page white paper
http://www.definitivetech.com/downlo...nicalBrief.pdf

YouTube Video regarding the ST-L

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #5554 of 5569 Old 07-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just ordered two mythos ST to replace my front right and left speakers. Right now I am using an 11.2 surround setup using all Klipsch reference series. The sound is incredible with the Klipsch when watching movies and surround music, but I prefer to listen to my regular CDs in stereo, and then I find my two bookshelf Klipsch struggling a lot...

I didnt even listen to the mythos ST...the price was so good, importing them new from the States, That will be able to resell those here in Canada at no loss if I am not satisfied...

But I really believe that I will be satisfied

Stef
post #5555 of 5569 Old 07-20-2014, 01:38 PM

Liked: 13
My current front speakers are Def Tech Power Monitor 500, which I like a lot. I'm thinking of moving them to the back and getting floor standing speakers for the front. I'm looking at (used) Mythos Four (which I believe have the exact same 4 1/2" drivers as the PM 500), or the newer STS (which I believe use different 4 1/2" drivers). The presence of the sub in the STS may not be crucial, since I have the subs in the PM500s (and also have a separate Pinnacle Digital Sub 350).

My question is, bass (subwoofers) aside, is the STS noticeably better sounding than the Mythos Four? And will it still integrate well with the Power Monitor 500s?

I also should mention that one of the things spurring my desire to upgrade is that, beyond the usual movie watching, I am increasingly interested in 5.1 music.

(I've also thought about just getting more PM 500 and maintaining the same speakers all around, but they seem to be pretty rare.)

Thanks for any thoughts!
post #5556 of 5569 Old 07-20-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I finally got around to installing my uiw rss iii speakers. Sound great so far and completes my 7.2 theater room.

Is anybody running a sub in addition to the St or sts speakers? I have a supercube 4000 as the rear but want to upgrade.
post #5557 of 5569 Old 07-22-2014, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post
I finally got around to installing my uiw rss iii speakers. Sound great so far and completes my 7.2 theater room.

Is anybody running a sub in addition to the St or sts speakers? I have a supercube 4000 as the rear but want to upgrade.
I am running a Seaton Submersive HP with my ST's. It is a whole new world.

post #5558 of 5569 Old 07-22-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

I'm running dual SVS PB13U's with my STS's.
post #5559 of 5569 Old 07-22-2014, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Can you provide details around your setup? Are you using the subs in the STS speakers in addition to the dual SVS? Are they all on the front stage or are you running them as rear?
post #5560 of 5569 Old 07-24-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can you provide details around your setup? Are you using the subs in the STS speakers in addition to the dual SVS? Are they all on the front stage or are you running them as rear?
Sorry for the delay in responding.

My SVS subs are near field. I actually use them as end tables next to my couch. The STS's sub's are still being used, but only as they are internally crossed over to cover the bass from 120hz to 80hz (and a crossover isn't a brick wall, so they play bass below 80hz obviously). I have played around with various crossover settings between 40hz to 120hz from the STS's to the Ultras. The best blend I had was with 100hz, but since my daughter learned how to crawl and now walk, I had to move the speakers closer to the front wall which counter-intuitively (at least to me) worked better with a lower crossover (based off both my ears and REW measurements). So now I have them crossed at 80hz.

In the past I've tried using them as full range, and as additional subs, but their roll-off and phase ended up messing with my FR and raised my F3 on my whole system to about 28hz from the 14hz I get just running the Ultra's. They did help smooth my response a bit more above the F3, but I enjoyed the extra extension more.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #5561 of 5569 Old 08-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOOBillO0o View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Sdiver2489

I've had enough time now with my 3x Mythos 10's and 2x XTR-20BP speakers to post my opinions on them

(snip)

These speakers have no problem getting quite loud and I have watched a couple intense blu-ray's at reference volume and they've held up well. My main complaint comes from the Mythos 10s. They work great for movies but for music...they can be hit and miss. The problem is that the cabinets resonate and they distort audibly at certain bass frequencies. You can actually feel the aluminum cabinet resonate during certain bass heavy music. This is distracting and really makes me wish I had larger speakers sometimes.

I've never noticed this issue during movies. I have just raised the crossovers on the Mythos tens to 100Hz to see if that limits the bass going to the speakers a bit more and will subdue the issue. Time will tell on that one.

But in terms of looks they have them and the sound quality it pretty darn good. I'd recommend this setup to anyone looking to integrate a home theater into a living space.

What are your room dimensions, roughly? Do you have a smartphone and Sound Pressure Level Meter App, if so can you give us a sense of what is achievable at your listening position?

Lastly, please share pics!

Thanks
I'll grab some pictures when I get home...sorry for the massive delay...

The room is 15 x 18 but opens to the rest of the house on one wall. I haven't noticed the resonance issue too much as of late. Not sure if I just haven't listened to the right music to bring it out or if the 100Hz crossover helped. Regardless, they are still good speakers, they just have their limits.
post #5562 of 5569 Old 08-13-2014, 02:12 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post
Anyone here ever try ceiling speakers for rears? I haven't hooked up my gems since moving, but I think I may have to pass on using them because they would be in the way...like one would have to be mounted over a light switch...

I was thinking about the Definitive Technology DI 8R.
I'm running two Di8r speakers as rear surrounds in a 5.1 setup and they sound great. Much cleaner in the room also.
post #5563 of 5569 Old 08-13-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone here thinking of getting an Atmos receiver this fall? If so, what are you planning on using for the ceiling/top speakers?

I'm debating using some DT in-ceiling speakers or the add on modules. Neither are perfect as putting the in-ceiling speakers in will be a huge chore, but the modules would have to be on the rack between the speakers. That would be ok per Dolby's info but less attractive. So I'm curious if anyone else has come up with a different solution.
post #5564 of 5569 Old 08-14-2014, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb55 View Post
I'm running two Di8r speakers as rear surrounds in a 5.1 setup and they sound great. Much cleaner in the room also.
Interesting. I ended up buying those but haven't installed yet. Did you have anything before that?

Right after I bought them the Atmos announcement was made. I now have my Gems up as surrounds and was thinking of using the DI8r's for whenever I get an Atmos receiver....
post #5565 of 5569 Old 08-15-2014, 03:05 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post
Interesting. I ended up buying those but haven't installed yet. Did you have anything before that?

Right after I bought them the Atmos announcement was made. I now have my Gems up as surrounds and was thinking of using the DI8r's for whenever I get an Atmos receiver....
I was going to put up some Monoprice surrounds but ended up sending them back for the DI-8R pair as the rest of my system was already Def-Tech (original Mythos ST L/R pair and Mythos 10 Center). I haven't done much research into using additional Atmos speakers. so I'm not sure if anything special is required in order for Atmos to work properly with them.

Last edited by mrb55; 08-15-2014 at 03:22 PM.
post #5566 of 5569 Old 08-18-2014, 12:40 PM

Suggestions - In Wall, Ceiling or Bookshelf?

We have a 3.1 setup around our TV and would like to go to a 5.2 setup for full surround.

Our current DT speakers are: Mythos Two x2; Mythos Three (center); SuperCube I

New Family Room has 18 foot ceiling, and floor space is 18 feet by 19 feet. The TV is on the long wall. And, the room is an odd five sided shape and with major openings.

• The side opposite the TV has a 9 foot high by 17 foot wide opening (to the kitchen), and an 8 foot by 4 foot open "window" on the upper 9 feet of wall.
  • To the left of the TV is a fireplace, on a 9 foot wide expanse of wall to ceiling, at a 45 degree angle from the TV wall.
  • To the left of that, near the kitchen, at 45 degrees from the fireplace, is a 9 foot high by 8 foot wide opening, and another 8 foot by 4 foot open window.

Question: Where are we better off placing another pair of speakers:

1. In wall speakers on the wall above the kitchen opening (opposite the TV). Speaker and electrical wires would need to be fished down the opposite wall of existing drywall. Is this too far back from the sofa?
  2. On the ceiling, which can be accessed via the attic (also allows fishing of feeder speaker wire from the entertainment unit). But, will that be too high / far away relative to the TV?
  3. Bookshelf speakers by the sofa (about 13.5 feet from the TV wall, 11.5 from the TV). There is an in-floor electrical outlet by the sofa, but no easy opportunity to drop speaker wire (we are planning on replacing with wood flooring, so perhaps under that?).

Suggestions?

Also, do we need to worry about "matching" speakers, or is there little discernible issue if we had equal quality speakers from another brand? We prefer DT, but who knows?
post #5567 of 5569 Old 08-20-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post
Also, do we need to worry about "matching" speakers, or is there little discernible issue if we had equal quality speakers from another brand? We prefer DT, but who knows?
Found the answer to this question...
"Since the surround channels are usually only used for effects sounds and ambient noise, it is generally thought to be less important that they have tonal match to the front stage speakers."
Basic Speaker Setup FAQ
post #5568 of 5569 Old 08-20-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post
Question: Where are we better off placing another pair of speakers:

1. In wall speakers on the wall above the kitchen opening (opposite the TV). Speaker and electrical wires would need to be fished down the opposite wall of existing drywall. Is this too far back from the sofa?
  2. On the ceiling, which can be accessed via the attic (also allows fishing of feeder speaker wire from the entertainment unit). But, will that be too high / far away relative to the TV?
  3. Bookshelf speakers by the sofa (about 13.5 feet from the TV wall, 11.5 from the TV). There is an in-floor electrical outlet by the sofa, but no easy opportunity to drop speaker wire (we are planning on replacing with wood flooring, so perhaps under that?).
Found the following quote.

Looks like optimal is bookshelf by the sofa. However, it does not say what the impact might be outside of this. Still would like some input, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioholics Placement Tips
Step 3: Surround Sound Speakers Positioning

• Bipolar/Dipole surrounds usually perform best when placed on the side walls directly across or slightly behind the seated listening position and at approximately 18-28" above the seated ear level position.
  • Quadpolar surrounds, similar to Bipoles, usually perform best when placed on sidewalls, but closer to the backwalls, for rear wall reflection of the side mounted tweeter. Their height should be about 4-6 feet above the seated position, but greater than 1 foot away from the ceiling to not obscure the top mounted woofer.
  • Direct Radiating surrounds usually perform best when placed behind and slightly higher than the listening position, spread apart the same distance as the mains and slightly toed in.
http://www.audioholics.com/home-thea...heater-systems
post #5569 of 5569 Old 08-24-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wink Opinion(s) wanted on a Mythos system I am considering

Don't know Def Tech Mythos speakers, so going to those who do for help.

Recently upgraded my AVR to the Anthem MRX 710 and want to step up on my speakers too. Currently have an Energy Take Classic 5.1 setup which is fine (no - GREAT!) for "family" movies and/or "quiet" flics but lack something when it comes to "action" or the "shoot 'em up" type I like. (Not surprising as they only have a 3" woofer with a .75" tweeter.) Anyhow, came across the following speakers: (2) Mythos Ones ($850/pr), (2) Mythos Twos ($500/pr) and a Mythos Three ($250.) No sub but I currently have a decent, older Paradigm sub (I am considering replacing it tho', most likely with an SVS SB-2000.) My room is on the small side; the room itself is about 10' x 20' but only half or so will be used for movies & TV (say 10' x 10' - 12' for the HT area, other portion is an "office".) Plan to put the Ones in front, wall mount the Three under the wall mounted TV and mount the Twos on the back wall above and behind the main viewing position.

This brings me to my main points in writing to you and seeking your opinion -
(1) Are these decent prices?
(2) how will they mate with my Anthem?
(3) small room - are these more speakers than I need? Specifically the Twos, as they will be "behind" me and not to the side.
(4) Am I right in going w/surround speakers vice bi-pole for this room? Friend has an older pair of Def Tech bi-poles (don't know model #) I can get cheap, also found a used pair of Def Tech Pro Monitor 100 Mk IIs for about $150. Which of the 3 would you suggest as rears/surrounds? I am thinking go for the Twos even tho' the word "overkill" applies. Or go for the Pro Monitors and use the money saved to step up on the sub? How about the Twos as fronts and the Pro Monitors as rears and skip the Ones? and/or get a pair of Gems for the rear? Very open to other ideas/suggestions too.

Money is a factor, but as I plan to go used all around and am not in a hurry, can wait for a good deal. Anyone have a "good" deal for me? (just kidding) I really like the Ones up front but am not set on them either as any money saved can easily go for a bigger/better sub, better wires/cables or maybe even that universal player I've been eyeing, etc., etc. I said I am not in a rush but you know how it goes when "upgraditis" hits.
BTW - audio (music) is handled by Zone 2 of the Anthem w/ a separate power amp

Sorry for the length of this, but wanted to fill you in so you can (hopefully) help me. Warning - you may also see this posting on other forum sites.

Thanks!

Last edited by 4thChoice; 08-24-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: forgot something
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page