Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 187 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5581 of 5599 Old 09-24-2014, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Just realized there is an entire thread dedicated to Mythos owners. I just picked up some Mythos STS towers, Mythos 9 center and two mythos 5's for my surrounds.

I am in love with this system so far. I will probably be ordering 2 new gloss SVS SB-2000's or one SB-Ultra in a few weeks. I am sure I will have some setup questions for you experts in the near future...

Oppo BDP103, Sony 70" LED, Definitive Technology Mythos STS Towers, Definitive Technology Mythos 9's x3, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Furman Elite 15, Harmony Ultimate Hub and Rythmik FV15HP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 5599 Old 09-25-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Congrats! I have Mythos St for my fronts and just got dual PB-2000. Love them! Depending on your room i'd dual over single.
post #5583 of 5599 Old 09-25-2014, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I bet those PB-2000's sound great! If they were offered in gloss black, I'd probably go that direction. I am a person obsessed with symmetry so if I went with the SB-Ultra, I would probably order another once my bank account healed a little

Oppo BDP103, Sony 70" LED, Definitive Technology Mythos STS Towers, Definitive Technology Mythos 9's x3, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Furman Elite 15, Harmony Ultimate Hub and Rythmik FV15HP.
post #5584 of 5599 Old 09-30-2014, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy ST-Ls sound "muddy" or blown?

Hi,

I just received an order from Crutchfield of two ST-Ls, (one open box and one scratch and dent). I also got some open box Gem XLs and an open box ten.

When hooking the ST-Ls up and taking my first in-home listen, one of them sounds like the mid driver is blown and the other sounds similar but less so. I have tried 3 different AV Receivers that currently drive different speakers in my home. One 8 year old Yamaha, one 3 year old Sony and a completely refurbished Sansui 4000. I have also tried three different sets of speaker cables. I even moved them to a different floor of the house to be sure I was on a different AC circuit. I get the same result each time, one sounds a bit more muddy than the other. The same cables and receivers driving the ten and Gems sound great. I have left the jumpers in place and connected the speakers using the top + and - terminals.

I am trying to think of anything I might be setting up incorrectly. Did I just "get what I paid for"? (open box/scratch n dent?).

Any insight welcome.

Thanks.
post #5585 of 5599 Old 10-03-2014, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Resolved

I spoke with Crutchfield and I decided to swap the defective speakers for new rather than open box. Wow, these are the amazing speakers I fell in love with when I auditioned them. Now to get my new receiver. :-)
post #5586 of 5599 Old 10-06-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I took the plunge & bought Definitive speakers last week - Mythos STS fronts, CS-8060HD center, SR-8040BP surrounds. The Magnolia sales rep recommended SR-8040BP over Mythos Gem / Gem XL since the SR-8040BP is bipolar so I would get better sound dispersion. However, I haven't yet come across anyone else on the forum who has paired SR-8040BPs with Mythos fronts, so I am wondering if I should have purchased Mythos Gem or Gem XL instead. I would appreciate any advice on which surrounds would be the right ones - the return period expires end of this week, so I still have time to change the speakers.

Since I am a newbie, would also appreciate advice on which receiver & subwoofer would go well with these speakers.

Thanks!
post #5587 of 5599 Old 10-06-2014, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelabh View Post
I took the plunge & bought Definitive speakers last week - Mythos STS fronts, CS-8060HD center, SR-8040BP surrounds. The Magnolia sales rep recommended SR-8040BP over Mythos Gem / Gem XL since the SR-8040BP is bipolar so I would get better sound dispersion. However, I haven't yet come across anyone else on the forum who has paired SR-8040BPs with Mythos fronts, so I am wondering if I should have purchased Mythos Gem or Gem XL instead. I would appreciate any advice on which surrounds would be the right ones - the return period expires end of this week, so I still have time to change the speakers.

Since I am a newbie, would also appreciate advice on which receiver & subwoofer would go well with these speakers.

Thanks!
I don't think it will make much difference that the surrounds are not Gems or Gems XL since. The sound quality and match should be close all around. I do however prefer the Gems / Gems XL not only for the sound but the style/look. The SR series is really like the BP series (prior to Mythos series) with upgrades and a slight different technology. Both are worthy so you can't go wrong either way.

I will let others chime in as far as the Subwoofer. I chose to go DefTech Supercube Reference. I am not sure how the latest Subcubes compare but I love the Reference.

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
post #5588 of 5599 Old 10-07-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
I don't think it will make much difference that the surrounds are not Gems or Gems XL since. The sound quality and match should be close all around. I do however prefer the Gems / Gems XL not only for the sound but the style/look. The SR series is really like the BP series (prior to Mythos series) with upgrades and a slight different technology. Both are worthy so you can't go wrong either way.

I will let others chime in as far as the Subwoofer. I chose to go DefTech Supercube Reference. I am not sure how the latest Subcubes compare but I love the Reference.
Thanks Maddmaster. Would appreciate if others can suggest a receiver & subwoofer to go along with these speakers - Mythos STS fronts, CS-8060HD center, SR-8040BP surrounds.
post #5589 of 5599 Old 10-08-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Thanks Maddmaster. Would appreciate if others can suggest a receiver & subwoofer to go along with these speakers - Mythos STS fronts, CS-8060HD center, SR-8040BP surrounds.
I like my Denon AVR-X4000 a lot. Also paired with my Emotiva XPA-5 it's a good combo.

There is a newer version of the Denon receiver I think.
post #5590 of 5599 Old 10-09-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post
I like my Denon AVR-X4000 a lot. Also paired with my Emotiva XPA-5 it's a good combo.

There is a newer version of the Denon receiver I think.
Thanks FantaXP7. I read reviews for the Denon AVR-X4000 & it looks good - though it seems that there are overheating issues with this model, have you faced any such issues? The newer versions are out of my budget.
post #5591 of 5599 Old 10-10-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks FantaXP7. I read reviews for the Denon AVR-X4000 & it looks good - though it seems that there are overheating issues with this model, have you faced any such issues? The newer versions are out of my budget.
No heat issues here. I have it in a cabinet too. Much better than my past Onkyo's.
post #5592 of 5599 Old 10-10-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
No heat issues here. I have it in a cabinet too. Much better than my past Onkyo's.
Thanks, that's good to hear. I have an Onkyo receiver too, and it gets so hot I could make an omelette on it. I just bought a new TV cabinet & the overheating issue is the primary reason I am thinking of a new receiver.
post #5593 of 5599 Old 10-10-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, that's good to hear. I have an Onkyo receiver too, and it gets so hot I could make an omelette on it. I just bought a new TV cabinet & the overheating issue is the primary reason I am thinking of a new receiver.
Yea I had an Onkyo 818 which was great. One day it just wouldn't turn on...I ended up giving it to a worker here and he said it turned on at his place and worked...so very weird experience with that receiver. The Denon is notably cooler and has a better HDMI controller than the Onkyo,.
post #5594 of 5599 Old 10-10-2014, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Yea I had an Onkyo 818 which was great. One day it just wouldn't turn on...I ended up giving it to a worker here and he said it turned on at his place and worked...so very weird experience with that receiver. The Denon is notably cooler and has a better HDMI controller than the Onkyo,.
I have the Onkyo PR SC5508 and have had no issues with it, but it's not in a cabinet. Looking to upgrade to the PR SC5530.

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
post #5595 of 5599 Old 10-13-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
I have the Onkyo PR SC5508 and have had no issues with it, but it's not in a cabinet. Looking to upgrade to the PR SC5530.
Maybe it generates less heat because it was designed for use with an external amp only?

I've been very curious about the Emotiva XMC-1...though with HDMI 2.0, 4K and Atmos coming out I am going to wait a few years.
post #5596 of 5599 Old 10-23-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone know if Definitive will be releasing any new now powered Mythos speakers within the next year or so? Seems like existing Mythos series is going discontinued with no new product announcements??
post #5597 of 5599 Old 10-23-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 151
^^
There's the Mythos ST-L that came out earlier this year, so that's hardly true. With a nice review by Sound and Vision at the end of July:
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-l-loudspeaker

I'm gone from DefTech land since I moved to PSB, but I still lurk here to keep up on details. And a heads-up to anyone in Chicago: go to Saturday Audio and you'll see my old Mythos ST in the window . I hope they find a good home sooner rather than later...they're great speakers for the right person.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #5598 of 5599 Old 10-23-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
^^
There's the Mythos ST-L that came out earlier this year, so that's hardly true. With a nice review by Sound and Vision at the end of July:
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-l-loudspeaker

I'm gone from DefTech land since I moved to PSB, but I still lurk here to keep up on details. And a heads-up to anyone in Chicago: go to Saturday Audio and you'll see my old Mythos ST in the window . I hope they find a good home sooner rather than later...they're great speakers for the right person.
I loved my Def Tech Mythos. In fact my old setup was Mythos ST L/R, Mythos 10 CC, ProMonitor 1000 4x, and dual SC Reference. All in a storage now. Was gonna set them up in my master bedroom or just selling them. But I'm thinking of making a game room for my son and daughter now they are getting in their teens.. In stead of bringing their friends over and messing around in my HT room to play games or watch movies..lol.. They'll have their own entertainment area..
post #5599 of 5599 Old 10-24-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 150
If anyone is interested I have a few "well taken care of" Mythos speakers for sale along with a SC Reference sub. Here is the link:
FS: Def Tech Mythos 10 or Gem XL pair
Chris

Last edited by countryWV; Today at 10:38 AM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page