Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 189 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #5641 of 5641 Unread Today, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgrshrk99 View Post
Sorry for posting more than once, I'm new here and wasn't sure what the best place to put this would be. I have a 5.1 system with Mythos Ones in front, Mythos Three in the center and Gems in the rear. Super Cube II as a sub. Works great as a surround system for movies, but playing music sounds mediocre at best. I have been wondering about buying a new pair of speakers for the front (something with a powered sub built in?) to make pure stereo possible, and moving the Ones to the back with the Gems as 7.1 speakers. Any thoughts/recommendations?

I owned a Supercube II for about 2 years and always found it a bit "slow." I know I'm opening up a big can of worms on this board by describing any piece of gear as such, but the single 8" with two 8" radiator design was just sloppy IMO. Don't get me wrong, I actually kind of miss that sub for movies because it could move a ridiculous amount of air for it's size, and like all Definitive products was built like a tank.

I would try removing the sub from your music system first and see how you like the mains alone. Give it a few days of listening to let your ears reaclimate themselves to hearing your rig without the sub. If after that time you truly do miss running a sub, I personally would look for a small sealed 8 or 10, as I've always liked them the best of mains integration. The Martin Logan Dynamo 700 is a great sub, as is the Velodyne optimum 8 and 10. Any of those will IMO sound more accurate than your current sub. Having been down the Supercube II road myself, I suspect your music woes have to do more with it than your mains.

A word of caution: While this is a great board and people are truly friendly and helpful, the main way subs are looked at around here (AVS in general) leans heavily towards big units which have huge outputs at room shaking extensions, which are great for action films, but often come at the expense of upper frequency accuracy and seamless mains integration. Small, sealed units with strong amps and light drivers are IMO best for that.

B&W CM9 S2, B&W CMC2 S2, DefTech XTR-20BP, SVS SB-2000, Parasound Halo A21, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Samsung UN55F8000, Apple Mac Mini, Iomega NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page