Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 190 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #5671 of 5698 Old 04-06-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post
I would set the ST-L to small using just speaker wire and use a low crossover to your sub, like 50-60hz.

Also, not to overstep, but I think you may want to reconsider your subwoofer choice. Obviously, numbers don't tell the whole story, but according to soundandvision.com, the -3db for the ST-L is 26hz and the -3db for the SC8000 is 32hz (both quasi anechoic). You definitely gain flexibility in sub placement which will help overall sound, but if your aim is to get lower frequencies than your ST-L's are capable of on their own, then you likely won't be gaining much.

Would it make sense to set them as large, with just attaching speaker wire? That way you get bass from them and then another sub would take over from what is missing? This is all assuming the receiver is using whatever auto-calibrate software it has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 5698 Old 04-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post
Would it make sense to set them as large, with just attaching speaker wire? That way you get bass from them and then another sub would take over from what is missing? This is all assuming the receiver is using whatever auto-calibrate software it has.
It's hard to think of any situation where I personally would recommend setting any speakers to large. Remember, there are two kinds of bass that we need to address:

1) low frequencies that are sent to your speakers but they cannot reproduce
2) the .1 LFE discrete tracks from surround sound formats

If you set your speakers to Large, type 1 will be sent only to your speakers even though they probably can't reproduce all the information they are being sent. Only type 2 (LFE) will be sent to the subwoofer. Because of this, any signals that are sent to your speakers that they cannot reproduce will be lost completely

If you set your speakers to Large and play stereo music, say from internet radio, CD, streaming, etc, then you won't get anything sent to your subwoofer at all because stereo formats do not have any .1 LFE information.

Setting your speakers to small, with a crossover of say 80hz (arbitrary number, doesn't matter) will send anything below 80hz to the sub in addition to the .1 LFE track being sent to your sub.

Ok, so say you actually do have speakers that are able to play really low, like 20hz or lower. Even so, the placement of your mains is probably not ideal for bass response and you will likely be able to get better sound quality by properly placing your sub and allowing the sub to handle all the low frequencies, whether they are the .1 LFE track or the lowest sounds from your mains.

There are some receivers that allow you to run your mains as large and send LFE to the mains as well as the sub, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you are running an x.0 setup (2.0, 3.0, 5.0, etc). I ran a 3.0 with MartinLogan Montis and Motif X for a while
FantaXP7 likes this.
post #5673 of 5698 Old 04-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleike View Post
I went and listened to ST-L and decided to take the plunge. I also ordered a SuperCube 8000. Do I set the ST-L's to small now that I have a separate sub? I will connect the ST-L's with regular speaker wire and the sub with an RCA cable. If it matters I will have a mythos 10 center and Gem XL surrounds.
If you set then to small, set your crossover as low as you can, but no, you don't ness. have to set them to small, what you really should do is try them both ways (sm & lg) and also play with crossover settings when you listen to them as small. The notion of "set everything to small and let the sub(s) do the work" is fine for "most" people, but "most" people don't use speakers that will truly play full range, the ST-L's will. But regardless of all of this, the reason for trying it both ways is simple, your tuning for your room and what you think sounds best, what works for most, may work for you too, but it also may not, you'll never know without experimenting yourself.

In my room, with my speaker layout, my front three sound better to me, set to large. But then again that's, my speakers, in my room, to my ears.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #5674 of 5698 Old 04-06-2015, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
If you set then to small, set your crossover as low as you can, but no, you don't ness. have to set them to small, what you really should do is try them both ways (sm & lg) and also play with crossover settings when you listen to them as small. The notion of "set everything to small and let the sub(s) do the work" is fine for "most" people, but "most" people don't use speakers that will truly play full range, the ST-L's will. But regardless of all of this, the reason for trying it both ways is simple, your tuning for your room and what you think sounds best, what works for most, may work for you too, but it also may not, you'll never know without experimenting yourself.

In my room, with my speaker layout, my front three sound better to me, set to large. But then again that's, my speakers, in my room, to my ears.
I would have thought the Mythos 10 used as a center would be set to small, no?
post #5675 of 5698 Old 04-06-2015, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would have thought the Mythos 10 used as a center would be set to small, no?
For the 10, yes, my recommendation was directed at the ST-L's . The comment at the end was for my setup.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
post #5676 of 5698 Old 04-07-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
It's hard to think of any situation where I personally would recommend setting any speakers to large. Remember, there are two kinds of bass that we need to address:

1) low frequencies that are sent to your speakers but they cannot reproduce
2) the .1 LFE discrete tracks from surround sound formats

If you set your speakers to Large, type 1 will be sent only to your speakers even though they probably can't reproduce all the information they are being sent. Only type 2 (LFE) will be sent to the subwoofer. Because of this, any signals that are sent to your speakers that they cannot reproduce will be lost completely

If you set your speakers to Large and play stereo music, say from internet radio, CD, streaming, etc, then you won't get anything sent to your subwoofer at all because stereo formats do not have any .1 LFE information.

Setting your speakers to small, with a crossover of say 80hz (arbitrary number, doesn't matter) will send anything below 80hz to the sub in addition to the .1 LFE track being sent to your sub.

Ok, so say you actually do have speakers that are able to play really low, like 20hz or lower. Even so, the placement of your mains is probably not ideal for bass response and you will likely be able to get better sound quality by properly placing your sub and allowing the sub to handle all the low frequencies, whether they are the .1 LFE track or the lowest sounds from your mains.

There are some receivers that allow you to run your mains as large and send LFE to the mains as well as the sub, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you are running an x.0 setup (2.0, 3.0, 5.0, etc). I ran a 3.0 with MartinLogan Montis and Motif X for a while
Thanks for the very thorough reply.

I currently am using my Mthos STS's as subs. I think my receiver can do full range plus subs...Should I try that?

Also thinking of getting a sub in which case I will set my towers to small when that day comes...and maybe leave in the sub cables too?
post #5677 of 5698 Old 04-07-2015, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post
Thanks for the very thorough reply.

I currently am using my Mthos STS's as subs. I think my receiver can do full range plus subs...Should I try that?

Also thinking of getting a sub in which case I will set my towers to small when that day comes...and maybe leave in the sub cables too?
As ALtloff said, my suggestion is for most speakers for most people and experimentation is key. Try both ways listening to some music and a few scenes from movies that you know really well to help you decide. If you get a sub and set your speakers to small, you will probably want to remove the sub cables from your STS's. I think I remember reading somewhere that when the sub cables are plugged into the STS/ST/ST-L's it disables the active crossover in the speaker
post #5678 of 5698 Old 04-08-2015, 12:35 AM

Looking for setup advice

Here is what I have...

Yamaha Rx-A2040 receiver

Def Tech St-L fronts. Mythos 10 center, Gem XL surrounds, SC- 8000 sub.

I set the sub volume to 20 and turned LF all the way to 150 and ran the AVR setup. It set the 10 to small, gem's to small, ST-L's to Large. The levels on the fronts, center and sorrounds were all around 0-+3 and the the sub was set to -10. I wasn't getting much bass from the sub so I turned it up to +5 and turned volume up to about 30.

Am I supposed to leave the sub LF all the way up or change it around. By this I mean the setting with the remote. I have played with phase and don't really notice much.

The ST-L's are connected with regular speaker wire and the sub with RCA cable. They are about at 1:00.

I am a noob on things like LF and crossover. Looking for advice are generic settings from others with the same system.
post #5679 of 5698 Old 04-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Here is what I have...

Yamaha Rx-A2040 receiver

I set the sub volume to 20 and turned LF all the way to 150 and ran the AVR setup. It set the 10 to small, gem's to small, ST-L's to Large. The levels on the fronts, center and sorrounds were all around 0-+3 and the the sub was set to -10. I wasn't getting much bass from the sub so I turned it up to +5 and turned volume up to about 30.

Am I supposed to leave the sub LF all the way up or change it around. By this I mean the setting with the remote. I have played with phase and don't really notice much.

The ST-L's are connected with regular speaker wire and the sub with RCA cable. They are about at 1:00.

I am a noob on things like LF and crossover. Looking for advice are generic settings from others with the same system.
If the receiver set the sub level to -10db it means the receiver thinks the sub volume is way too high. LF should be as high as possible to ensure nothing gets filtered out so that's OK

What do you mean the ST-L's are set to 1:00? The ST-L's don't have any dials to rotate.
post #5680 of 5698 Old 04-08-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
If the receiver set the sub level to -10db it means the receiver thinks the sub volume is way too high. LF should be as high as possible to ensure nothing gets filtered out so that's OK

What do you mean the ST-L's are set to 1:00? The ST-L's don't have any dials to rotate.
My bad I have STS speakers in a different room and was confusing them.
post #5681 of 5698 Old 04-09-2015, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I maybe close to your setup but I have ST fronts instead of ST-L. Surrounds are GemXL. I run the ST fronts set to Large (LFE line used on fronts). Everything else is set to small. Sub is Supercube Ref.

What I found is where you place your Sub is critical. The Sub can actually cause your room to seem to have less Bass because the ST-L Subs and your 8000 can cancel each other. I ended up not putting my Sub up front because of that reason. It's on the left wall close to the back of the listening area. There's a couch separating it from the front of the room. While your system is running disconnect the 8000 and see if there's a difference on the low end and work from there.

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
post #5682 of 5698 Old 04-09-2015, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The ST-L's have an internal volume control operated by a remote.

Quote:
Here is what I have...

Yamaha Rx-A2040 receiver

As a rule of thumb I always start with my Sub (Supertower or Stand Alone) volumes between 40-60%, then do your AVR settings (room correction or manual), that way if something seems a little off at a later time it's easier to just change the volume on that particular speaker than to go into the settings again.

As far as re-adjusting the Sub level, you may want to run the room correction a couple of times to see if anything changes, it may point out strange reverberations that the software is having trouble adjusting for. But don't forget, bottom line, set it the way you like it.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 04-09-2015 at 02:25 AM.
post #5683 of 5698 Old 04-12-2015, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
I was looking at some of the answers you received to your question. Everyone seems to assume you are not happy with your sub. Is that your issue? My question is what are you using to drive your 5.1 system?
I have a Yamaha RX-V757.
post #5684 of 5698 Old 04-12-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgrshrk99 View Post
I have a Yamaha RX-V757.
The Receiver you are using is pretty nice. The ST-L Towers are very efficient but they would sound better and handle a lot more power if you had it available. However, don't waste your money if you choose to upgrade to more power unless you plan to at a minimum double that 100W per channel you have now. Anything less than that would be a waste of good money. Somebody will probably chime in on the power suggestion because it can get very controversial. It's not about how loud you can go, it's the quality of the sound you get. My example is to cars with different horsepower. 200 hp vs 500 hp going from 0 - 100. Both can get there but the higher HP does it with ease. The same goes for reaching peaks for different frequencies. Countless times I have gotten friends to take my advice and never has one of them had any regrets. It's like needing glasses. When you put them on everything is so much clearer. The sound results is just like that. When I took the plunge I found several things I noticed right away. Yes the system did played louder, but I found myself listening at a lower volume while achieving the sound quality and sound stage I had been looking for.

The last system I setup and tweaked for a friend of mine was one of the best experiences with the end result. He was using a top of the line Marantz receiver and had spent all kind of money but not satisfied with the sound. He asked me to stop by to listen and let him know what he needed to buy. When I saw what he had I told him he didn't need to buy anything except a power amp for the front speakers. I changed the location of his front speakers and subwoofer and let him borrow a power amp. After resetting the system up his mouth flew open along with his wife. He called his son to come over. As his son was coming down the steps, he asked his dad if he bought new speakers because it sounded so much better and different. Someone is going to ask so the answer is yes, we listened to the system both ways, with and without the power amp after I had made the changes.

Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
post #5685 of 5698 Old 04-13-2015, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The Receiver you are using is pretty nice. The ST-L Towers are very efficient but they would sound better and handle a lot more power if you had it available. However, don't waste your money if you choose to upgrade to more power unless you plan to at a minimum double that 100W per channel you have now. Anything less than that would be a waste of good money. Somebody will probably chime in on the power suggestion because it can get very controversial. It's not about how loud you can go, it's the quality of the sound you get. My example is to cars with different horsepower. 200 hp vs 500 hp going from 0 - 100. Both can get there but the higher HP does it with ease. The same goes for reaching peaks for different frequencies. Countless times I have gotten friends to take my advice and never has one of them had any regrets. It's like needing glasses. When you put them on everything is so much clearer. The sound results is just like that. When I took the plunge I found several things I noticed right away. Yes the system did played louder, but I found myself listening at a lower volume while achieving the sound quality and sound stage I had been looking for.

The last system I setup and tweaked for a friend of mine was one of the best experiences with the end result. He was using a top of the line Marantz receiver and had spent all kind of money but not satisfied with the sound. He asked me to stop by to listen and let him know what he needed to buy. When I saw what he had I told him he didn't need to buy anything except a power amp for the front speakers. I changed the location of his front speakers and subwoofer and let him borrow a power amp. After resetting the system up his mouth flew open along with his wife. He called his son to come over. As his son was coming down the steps, he asked his dad if he bought new speakers because it sounded so much better and different. Someone is going to ask so the answer is yes, we listened to the system both ways, with and without the power amp after I had made the changes.
Hello! Devil's advocate here If we go with the car analogy, a 2 ton car with 800 hp traveling at 60 mph is only using a small fraction of it's power, the same amount of power that same car would need if it only had a 150 hp engine. As long as one stays within the power handling limits of your amp/receiver, different amounts of power won't make a difference.

If I'm playing my speakers to a volume level of 90db from a 500 watt amp, i'm using the exact same amount of power as if I were using a 10 watt amp. At 90 db, you are probably using less than 10 watts of power. well, let's check numbers. Say Def Tech's measurements are accurate and the ST-L's are 93db 1w/1m. That means sitting approx 3 feet away with 1 watt of power, you are at 93 db of volume. Now you lose 6db of volume every time you double distance so at 6 feet away you are at 87db of volume. Double it again to a pretty reasonable 12 feet away you are at 81db of volume. So then you double power to get 3db of added volume, so you are now at 2 watts to get 84 db at 12 feet away. double it again to get to 4 watts to get 87 db of volume. double again to 8 watts and you are at 90db of volume. Realistically, you are probably using less than 8 watts since sensitivity does not take into account room gain or the fact that you are using more than 1 speaker. Yes, your speakers can handle a lot more power than 8 watts. However, you can't add watts without adding volume so if you want to use more power you must be playing louder.

So at reasonable levels, unless you receiver can't handle 8 watts, you won't gain anything from a big amp. I'm sure that you can probably push your receiver to the point that it will reach the limits of it's power handling and start clipping. However, if that much volume really is something you want, then you've probably bought the wrong speakers to begin with.

The argument is often made that cleaner or better power will improve sound quality and that it's not just the amount of power that it can create. I buy that argument from a purely academic point of view but not from a practical point of view. Damping factor, THD, and frequency response are differences that can be measured. However, damping, THD, and frequency response are so good in even the least expensive receivers I'd bet the house you can't hear the difference in a true double-blind and level matched test, or even an ABX test. In your own example, you changed the location of the front speakers and the subwoofer and even if you listened to them with and without the amp, you were the one changing components which negates your observations. it's been shown countless times that expecting a change will cause you to hear/see changes that do not exist.

Devil's advocate over, still an advocate to not buy a new amp
post #5686 of 5698 Old 04-13-2015, 03:57 PM

Devil's advocate over, still an advocate to not buy a new amp [/QUOTE]

I knew someone would jump on my analogy. I wasn't trying to get detailed and that technical, just an example. As far as expecting a change and me being the one switching things out, I wasn't the one pointing out any improvements or changes in sound quality. The guys wife or wasn't even in the room and son wasn't even in the house. Neither knew what was happening. I like using women to listen because their hearing is better than ours.

BTW, I would take you up on that bet. I've spent so much money trying to achieve that ultimate sound quality goal over the years I don't even want to think about it. Wasted money on somethings and countless hours only to find many answers I and many overlook. How many years may be your next question. It's been over 40 yrs. The bottomline is, it is your and mine are just opinions based on our experiences and knowledge. What works and sounds good to us may sound like crap to someone else. So everyone has to do what works for them to be happy with their system. They may or may not use us as a guide or resource. I'm not one to get offended if challenged or disagreed with. I actually enjoy the debate.

Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
post #5687 of 5698 Old 04-13-2015, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Devil's advocate over, still an advocate to not buy a new amp
I knew someone would jump on my analogy. I wasn't trying to get detailed and that technical, just an example. As far as expecting a change and me being the one switching things out, I wasn't the one pointing out any improvements or changes in sound quality. The guys wife or wasn't even in the room and son wasn't even in the house. Neither knew what was happening. I like using women to listen because their hearing is better than ours.

BTW, I would take you up on that bet. I've spent so much money trying to achieve that ultimate sound quality goal over the years I don't even want to think about it. Wasted money on somethings and countless hours only to find many answers I and many overlook. How many years may be your next question. It's been over 40 yrs. The bottomline is, it is your and mine are just opinions based on our experiences and knowledge. What works and sounds good to us may sound like crap to someone else. So everyone has to do what works for them to be happy with their system. They may or may not use us as a guide or resource. I'm not one to get offended if challenged or disagreed with. I actually enjoy the debate.[/QUOTE]

Wait, two people with differing opinions on amps not name calling and having a respectful discussion? That's go to a first on AVS

In all seriousness, I too enjoy a respectful debate with people who have differing opinions.

I haven't had 40 years of audio experience. Realistically only around 5 in consumer audio and 10 (5 of them concurrent) in pro-audio. I've had approximately $35,000 worth of consumer audio come through my home over the years and that's where I've ended up on the whole subject. In addition to having lots of audio gear come through my home, I had a stint at a premium custom home AV/automation company. In one of our audio demo rooms I had an employee help me with a bunch of single-blind tests (I didn't know what was playing but my co-worker did since he was switching out components). It was pretty nice equipment. In the room we had B&W Diamond 802D, 803D, and 805D, MartinLogan Summit X, Montis, and Ethos, and Sonus Faber Cremona. Everything could be connected to McIntosh MC207, MC205, and MC601s, Marantz (I think SR5005 but don't quote me), and Arcam (don't remember the models). Everything was powered through panamax power conditions and connected with some of Audio Quest's highest end speaker wire (I don't remember which model but I looked at their website and they seem to have replaced with a new model). Test tracks were uncompressed WAV files. the room was well damped and sound treated with both absorption and diffusion panels. We level matched within .5db. transitions were about 10 seconds at most. Without hesitation I'd say I have a very good ear and I could not consistently tell between any of the amps despite one being a consumer receiver and the others being several thousand dollar mono-blocks.

Maybe this isn't the best thread for this since it is a def tech thread sooo.......... I think with the def tech ST-L's (of which I own a pair) stick with the least expensive receiver that gives you the features you want and look at speaker placement and other ways of optimizing what you have. There, seamless transition back on topic

Last edited by simp1yamazn; 04-13-2015 at 05:02 PM.
post #5688 of 5698 Old 04-13-2015, 05:54 PM

Tgrshrk99's question with the Mythos One's really got my attention when he said there was not enough Bass. That's where the power amp came to mind. Then we jumped or should I say I jumped to seattleike's question. Don't know if either got an answer out of it all.

I had a pair of Mythos One's and had the same issue with lack of a good bass. I paired them up with a reworked upgraded Carver M500t mkII power amp. I had no idea what to expect. It turned out to be a match made in heaven. I would've never believed I good get a good bass from the One's, but that amp gave them a warm sound (they always had a sort of harsh sound to me) with tight deep bass.

As far as seattleike's ST-L bass issue, his sounds more of a placement problem. Especially also having a separate powered sub. Depending on where the SC8000 is can also be an issue. The ST-L subs and SC8000 can cancel each other and cause the lack of bass he is experiencing. He needs to experiment with placement of the ST-L (also rerun Audyssey) without the SC8000. Sometimes just turning the ST-L's toed in a little makes a big difference. Distance from the side and back walls matter as well. Once he gets it to his liking, reconnect the SC8000 and move it to different room positions to see where he gets the best results. If he post a picture of the room and setup we may be able to help a little more.

Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
post #5689 of 5698 Old 04-13-2015, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Powered towers are hard to make work with a separate sub. I own the ST's with a supercube reference and I still have issues with blending them all together. I have space issues so I can't just move the sub wherever. I agree with the rest of the guys that location and position are key. I am running a 3808ci and it pushes me system plenty loud and clear. That sc8000 probably doesn't add to much to those st-l's unless it's near field if anything it will help smooth out the overall bass response if in the right location. Wish I had more to add. Let us know how your system progresses.
post #5690 of 5698 Old 04-14-2015, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Tgrshrk99's question with the Mythos One's really got my attention when he said there was not enough Bass. That's where the power amp came to mind. Then we jumped or should I say I jumped to seattleike's question. Don't know if either got an answer out of it all.

I had a pair of Mythos One's and had the same issue with lack of a good bass. I paired them up with a reworked upgraded Carver M500t mkII power amp. I had no idea what to expect. It turned out to be a match made in heaven. I would've never believed I good get a good bass from the One's, but that amp gave them a warm sound (they always had a sort of harsh sound to me) with tight deep bass.

As far as seattleike's ST-L bass issue, his sounds more of a placement problem. Especially also having a separate powered sub. Depending on where the SC8000 is can also be an issue. The ST-L subs and SC8000 can cancel each other and cause the lack of bass he is experiencing. He needs to experiment with placement of the ST-L (also rerun Audyssey) without the SC8000. Sometimes just turning the ST-L's toed in a little makes a big difference. Distance from the side and back walls matter as well. Once he gets it to his liking, reconnect the SC8000 and move it to different room positions to see where he gets the best results. If he post a picture of the room and setup we may be able to help a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJ View Post
Powered towers are hard to make work with a separate sub. I own the ST's with a supercube reference and I still have issues with blending them all together. I have space issues so I can't just move the sub wherever. I agree with the rest of the guys that location and position are key. I am running a 3808ci and it pushes me system plenty loud and clear. That sc8000 probably doesn't add to much to those st-l's unless it's near field if anything it will help smooth out the overall bass response if in the right location. Wish I had more to add. Let us know how your system progresses.
Yea, placement seems to be the culprit to me as well. I have a terrible dead spot about 2 feet behind my couch where it legitimately sounds like the amps in my ST-L's have shut off.

Hm, another idea actually. I can't remember which receiver he said he has but most auto correction either doesn't EQ bass or has very limited capabilities and will mostly just level match. The ST-L's have a fairly abrupt 3db peak at 31hz and a bit of a dip from 40-70hz. The receiver may be trying to compensate for the peak so it brings the overall level down but does so a little too much. Room gain could also exacerbate the 31hz peak making the receiver pull down the level even further.
post #5691 of 5698 Old 04-25-2015, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Finally a Mythos owner, just got a killer deal on a 5.0 system off e-bay, (2) Mythos One's, (1) Mythos Three & (2) Mythos Gems w/ stands.
Really only wanted the One's, going to use them in the living room for Music, I'll just have to resell the rest, couldn't pass it up.
Really looking forward to these.

My Build Thread:
post #5692 of 5698 Old 04-30-2015, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Just posted my Mythos ST-L's for sale

FS: Definitive Technology Mythos ST-L Pair
post #5693 of 5698 Old 04-30-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Just posted my Mythos ST-L's for sale

FS: Definitive Technology Mythos ST-L Pair
Selling because you don't like them or because they are a pain in the a** to get placement right?
post #5694 of 5698 Old 05-01-2015, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJ View Post
Selling because you don't like them or because they are a pain in the a** to get placement right?
Not at all. I actually like them a lot. I upgraded to the ST-Ls after having a pair of MartinLogan Montis for a while and genuinely like the ST-L's more than the Montis. In my room, they were pretty easy to get in place and dial in. I'm just fickle when it comes to my audio and I'm going to try building some great big DIY speakers and sub(s)
post #5695 of 5698 Old 05-01-2015, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Not at all. I actually like them a lot. I upgraded to the ST-Ls after having a pair of MartinLogan Montis for a while and genuinely like the ST-L's more than the Montis. In my room, they were pretty easy to get in place and dial in. I'm just fickle when it comes to my audio and I'm going to try building some great big DIY speakers and sub(s)
Right on. I ask cause my ST's are a pain to dial in. Audyssey pulls a ton out of the midrange. Good luck with the diy and let us know how it goes.
post #5696 of 5698 Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Finally a Mythos owner, just got a killer deal on a 5.0 system off e-bay, (2) Mythos One's, (1) Mythos Three & (2) Mythos Gems w/ stands.
Really only wanted the One's, going to use them in the living room for Music, I'll just have to resell the rest, couldn't pass it up.
Really looking forward to these.
Gave the One's a workout today, really impressed on how full and rich they sound they're also very smooth and will be prefect for my living room 2.2 setup, super happy with them.
Also unpacked the Mythos Three and the Gem surrounds, gave them a quick listen, it's really surprising how well the little Gem speakers do, if I had another room to do surround in I'd definitely keep them, plus the fit and finish with the stands is top notch, I can see how this entire system would be pretty impressive for a smaller footprint 5.1 system.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; Yesterday at 09:12 PM.
post #5697 of 5698 Old Today, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Gave the One's a workout today, really impressed on how full and rich they sound they're also very smooth and will be prefect for my living room 2.2 setup, super happy with them.
Also unpacked the Mythos Three and the Gem surrounds, gave them a quick listen, it's really surprising how well the little Gem speakers do, if I had another room to do surround in I'd definitely keep them, plus the fit and finish with the stands is top notch, I can see how this entire system would be pretty impressive for a smaller footprint 5.1 system.

Yup, I agree. They are great speakers. Sound is clear, full and powerful. I'm impressed with them everyday, and I do use them as mains in a 5.1 HT system.
post #5698 of 5698 Unread Today, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have a dedicated home theater room and am currently using DefTech Procinema speakers. Room is 10 x 20 and my front wall is almost wall to wall screen. I'm using the ProCenter 1000's as LCR. I have Mythos Gems for side surrounds and 8040BP Surrounds for rear (originally the BP surrounds were going to be for side surround, but I have to keep a walk way to my theater seats so only the Gems fit.)

What would be some suggestions on the next upgrade path sticking with DefTech. The frontstage will need to be fairly narrow (I have a 133" 16x9 Dalite screen on the front 10ft wall.) I never noticed any deficiencies but since I'm now running a Denon X7200 it seems like I could do better for my front stoundstage. (I am using Tannoy DC speakers for Atmos Height speakers.) I have two subs an SVS PB12 and a Boston Acoustic HPS 12ho.

I'm thinking the minimum would be to go with Procenter 2000s instead of 1000s, but I'm also interested in either the Mythos series or BP series and preferably used or refurbed. How good are some of the earlier BP or Mythos models and how do they compare with what is current product from DefTech?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page