Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 191 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #5701 of 5713 Old 05-16-2015, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. When I get home I'll try recalibrating with the sub volume set to 25%. So just to clarify I set the lf to 150 and just leave it there before and after the calibration right? I know my main speakers (ST-L's have subs in them so I make sure they are set to large.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 5713 Old 05-21-2015, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So if I buy a pair of Mythos floor-standing speakers with the built-in powered sub, will I really not need a separate powered sub for home theater use? I like powerful bass, and I find that hard to believe. (wish there was somewhere I could go to hear them)
post #5703 of 5713 Old 05-21-2015, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlewis View Post
So if I buy a pair of Mythos floor-standing speakers with the built-in powered sub, will I really not need a separate powered sub for home theater use? I like powerful bass, and I find that hard to believe. (wish there was somewhere I could go to hear them)
If you like powerful Bass you might need a separate Powered Sub. Much depends on your room though. Some are more than satisfied with the Bass from the Floor standing built in Sub's. Keep in mind it sometimes is hard to dial in the subs.

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
post #5704 of 5713 Old 05-22-2015, 08:31 AM

Thanks! I think I'm going to go with Mythos Ten on-wall speakers and a big HSU powered sub. My tv is over the fireplace so I think floor standing speakers would be too far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5705 of 5713 Old 05-22-2015, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlewis View Post
Thanks! I think I'm going to go with Mythos Ten on-wall speakers and a big HSU powered sub. My tv is over the fireplace so I think floor standing speakers would be too far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been thinking about going this route also. I have an SVS PC12Plus, should that be enough to handle the lower frequencies?

I would be replacing some Wharfdale Floor Standing Units with the (2) Mythos Ten's. The rest would be my Center as a Polk CS20, TL2's for the Sat's and RC80i's in the ceiling.

Thoughts?
post #5706 of 5713 Old 05-22-2015, 07:08 PM

Sorry, but I don't have any experience with those items. Good to know that someone else is considering the Mytho's Ten though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5707 of 5713 Old 05-22-2015, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg345 View Post
I've been thinking about going this route also. I have an SVS PC12Plus, should that be enough to handle the lower frequencies?

I would be replacing some Wharfdale Floor Standing Units with the (2) Mythos Ten's. The rest would be my Center as a Polk CS20, TL2's for the Sat's and RC80i's in the ceiling.

Thoughts?
Tens will work very well and your SVS PC12Plus should handle your lows with no problem.

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
post #5708 of 5713 Old 05-22-2015, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'd like some input. Do you think Mythos One's are "a lot" better then the Mythos Four's?

I bought the pair of Four's for $300 each from Newegg a couple years ago. Also an Eight for center for $250 and two Two's for $200 each. Really great deals now that I see what these (old) speakers are selling for now. Looking back I wish I would've gone Eight's all around at that price... It's clearly the best speaker in the group.

Considering how much I like the Eight, is $1500 worth an upgrade to the One's from the Four's? I could sell the Two's or Four's and use the other pair as surrounds.

So my main question is how much better the Ones would be over the Four's.
post #5709 of 5713 Old 05-23-2015, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Personally I think the One's are one of the best Mythos speakers ever produced (short of the ST-S or ST-L) but I've only heard the Fours one time so really couldn't say how much better, if it were me and you could use floor standers for your surrounds, I'd sell the Two's and use One's up front and Four's in back.
But don't pay $1500 for the One's unless you are only comfortable with NOS, One's go for les than $1000 on e-bay all the time and most people who bought them new tool really good care of them. (I recently bought a complete package, One's, a Three and Gem's on stands for les than $1k, just be patient)

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #5710 of 5713 Old 05-23-2015, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I have mythos ones for main speakers and I went out and got really good Sewell locking banana plugs. They fit super, super snug in my Studio Monitor SM55's but they only go in half way and do not lock in on the Mythos ones. I gave it some force too but just not going in all the way. Anyone else have this problem? Am I doing something wrong? Should they fit snug? Thanks for any help.
post #5711 of 5713 Old 05-23-2015, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mine are the same, but so are all of my vintage towers as well, I'm not using locking so they stay in ok, I just backed out the screw caps all the way so it doesn't look to odd on the speakers that are out in the open, the only way to go real secure would be something like the Sewell Deadbolt Crows Foot, that's what I used in my floor standers that have the connections on the bottom. (At least with them you don't have to worry about stray broken or frayed wire strands)

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 05-23-2015 at 07:36 AM.
post #5712 of 5713 Old 05-23-2015, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Mine are the same, but so are all of my vintage towers as well, I'm not using locking so they stay in ok, I just backed out the screw caps all the way so it doesn't look to odd on the speakers that are out in the open, the only way to go real secure would be something like the Sewell Deadbolt Crows Foot, that's what I used in my floor standers that have the connections on the bottom. (At least with them you don't have to worry about stray broken or frayed wire strands)
Ok I guess I'll try that. Is it just they way the Mythos ones were designed? Shouldn't banana plugs and speaker connections be universal by now?
post #5713 of 5713 Unread Today, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapala View Post
I'd like some input. Do you think Mythos One's are "a lot" better then the Mythos Four's?

I bought the pair of Four's for $300 each from Newegg a couple years ago. Also an Eight for center for $250 and two Two's for $200 each. Really great deals now that I see what these (old) speakers are selling for now. Looking back I wish I would've gone Eight's all around at that price... It's clearly the best speaker in the group.

Considering how much I like the Eight, is $1500 worth an upgrade to the One's from the Four's? I could sell the Two's or Four's and use the other pair as surrounds.

So my main question is how much better the Ones would be over the Four's.
FYI, Ann excellent deal on a pair of One's just popped up on e-bay.

My Build Thread:
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page