Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 191 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #5701 of 5726 Old 05-16-2015, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. When I get home I'll try recalibrating with the sub volume set to 25%. So just to clarify I set the lf to 150 and just leave it there before and after the calibration right? I know my main speakers (ST-L's have subs in them so I make sure they are set to large.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 5726 Old 05-21-2015, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So if I buy a pair of Mythos floor-standing speakers with the built-in powered sub, will I really not need a separate powered sub for home theater use? I like powerful bass, and I find that hard to believe. (wish there was somewhere I could go to hear them)
post #5703 of 5726 Old 05-21-2015, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlewis View Post
So if I buy a pair of Mythos floor-standing speakers with the built-in powered sub, will I really not need a separate powered sub for home theater use? I like powerful bass, and I find that hard to believe. (wish there was somewhere I could go to hear them)
If you like powerful Bass you might need a separate Powered Sub. Much depends on your room though. Some are more than satisfied with the Bass from the Floor standing built in Sub's. Keep in mind it sometimes is hard to dial in the subs.

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
post #5704 of 5726 Old 05-22-2015, 08:31 AM

Thanks! I think I'm going to go with Mythos Ten on-wall speakers and a big HSU powered sub. My tv is over the fireplace so I think floor standing speakers would be too far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5705 of 5726 Old 05-22-2015, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks! I think I'm going to go with Mythos Ten on-wall speakers and a big HSU powered sub. My tv is over the fireplace so I think floor standing speakers would be too far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been thinking about going this route also. I have an SVS PC12Plus, should that be enough to handle the lower frequencies?

I would be replacing some Wharfdale Floor Standing Units with the (2) Mythos Ten's. The rest would be my Center as a Polk CS20, TL2's for the Sat's and RC80i's in the ceiling.

Thoughts?
post #5706 of 5726 Old 05-22-2015, 07:08 PM

Sorry, but I don't have any experience with those items. Good to know that someone else is considering the Mytho's Ten though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5707 of 5726 Old 05-22-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg345 View Post
I've been thinking about going this route also. I have an SVS PC12Plus, should that be enough to handle the lower frequencies?

I would be replacing some Wharfdale Floor Standing Units with the (2) Mythos Ten's. The rest would be my Center as a Polk CS20, TL2's for the Sat's and RC80i's in the ceiling.

Thoughts?
Tens will work very well and your SVS PC12Plus should handle your lows with no problem.

Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
post #5708 of 5726 Old 05-22-2015, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'd like some input. Do you think Mythos One's are "a lot" better then the Mythos Four's?

I bought the pair of Four's for $300 each from Newegg a couple years ago. Also an Eight for center for $250 and two Two's for $200 each. Really great deals now that I see what these (old) speakers are selling for now. Looking back I wish I would've gone Eight's all around at that price... It's clearly the best speaker in the group.

Considering how much I like the Eight, is $1500 worth an upgrade to the One's from the Four's? I could sell the Two's or Four's and use the other pair as surrounds.

So my main question is how much better the Ones would be over the Four's.
post #5709 of 5726 Old 05-23-2015, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Personally I think the One's are one of the best Mythos speakers ever produced (short of the ST-S or ST-L) but I've only heard the Fours one time so really couldn't say how much better, if it were me and you could use floor standers for your surrounds, I'd sell the Two's and use One's up front and Four's in back.
But don't pay $1500 for the One's unless you are only comfortable with NOS, One's go for les than $1000 on e-bay all the time and most people who bought them new tool really good care of them. (I recently bought a complete package, One's, a Three and Gem's on stands for les than $1k, just be patient)

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #5710 of 5726 Old 05-23-2015, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I have mythos ones for main speakers and I went out and got really good Sewell locking banana plugs. They fit super, super snug in my Studio Monitor SM55's but they only go in half way and do not lock in on the Mythos ones. I gave it some force too but just not going in all the way. Anyone else have this problem? Am I doing something wrong? Should they fit snug? Thanks for any help.
post #5711 of 5726 Old 05-23-2015, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mine are the same, but so are all of my vintage towers as well, I'm not using locking so they stay in ok, I just backed out the screw caps all the way so it doesn't look to odd on the speakers that are out in the open, the only way to go real secure would be something like the Sewell Deadbolt Crows Foot, that's what I used in my floor standers that have the connections on the bottom. (At least with them you don't have to worry about stray broken or frayed wire strands)

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 05-23-2015 at 07:36 AM.
post #5712 of 5726 Old 05-23-2015, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Mine are the same, but so are all of my vintage towers as well, I'm not using locking so they stay in ok, I just backed out the screw caps all the way so it doesn't look to odd on the speakers that are out in the open, the only way to go real secure would be something like the Sewell Deadbolt Crows Foot, that's what I used in my floor standers that have the connections on the bottom. (At least with them you don't have to worry about stray broken or frayed wire strands)
Ok I guess I'll try that. Is it just they way the Mythos ones were designed? Shouldn't banana plugs and speaker connections be universal by now?
post #5713 of 5726 Old 05-26-2015, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
Tens will work very well and your SVS PC12Plus should handle your lows with no problem.
Even for music ?
post #5714 of 5726 Old 05-27-2015, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey all! I just purchased a pair of Mythos 4s and a Pro Sub 800 for an amazing price (although the glass bases are MIA). I'm very excited to finally have some Def Tech in my house! I'm now moving on to replacing my center followed by the surrounds eventually. What center would you all recommend to match the Mythos 4s? I'm pretty sure the 3 is to wide for my entertainment cabinet but I'll double check the measurements tonight. The pro2000, CS-8040, or any other recommendations? My budget is $200-$350ish. I can go higher if needed but would like to stay in that ball park. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
post #5715 of 5726 Old 05-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomatic View Post
Hey all! I just purchased a pair of Mythos 4s and a Pro Sub 800 for an amazing price (although the glass bases are MIA). I'm very excited to finally have some Def Tech in my house! I'm now moving on to replacing my center followed by the surrounds eventually. What center would you all recommend to match the Mythos 4s? I'm pretty sure the 3 is to wide for my entertainment cabinet but I'll double check the measurements tonight. The pro2000, CS-8040, or any other recommendations? My budget is $200-$350ish. I can go higher if needed but would like to stay in that ball park. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Double check your measurement, I've still got a Three for sale, but if it won't fit, the PC-2000 would be my next choice.

My Build Thread:
post #5716 of 5726 Old 05-29-2015, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've measured the opening and it's 24.5". To small for the Mythos 3 or 7. What does every one think about the Mythos XTR-40 as a center channel? Also looking at the C/L/R 2002. As suggested before, the PC-2000 is also on the list. Any more opinions? Thanks!
post #5717 of 5726 Old 07-07-2015, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Shameless plug to all you Mythos lovers out there, selling my Mythos ST-L's for 50% off MSRP

FS: Definitive Technology ST-L Pair in Black
post #5718 of 5726 Old 07-15-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The other day I was perusing the clearance section at Best Buy when I found a pair of Mythos XTR-50 speakers for 50% off open box. I decided to pick them up, even though I already have Mythos Three's on the wall.These speakers look fantastic and have a very high quality feel. The Piano black, matches most TVs very well. The speakers are extremely thin at 1.5". It looks great, but my TV with mount is 3.875". My Mythos Three's actually match the depth of my TV better at 4.125"

Sound Comparison:
For my test set up, I used my older Kenwood VR5700 amp, with Kenwood DV5700 DVD changer and a Energy ESW-C8 subwoofer(crossed at 110). I listened to Amy Grant's I will remember you, Alicia Keys Falling, and The Eagles Hotel California -acoustic

Comparison 1 - No subwoofer.
The Mythos Three vocals had a great depth to them. The instruments were concise and the Bass wasn't noticeably bad. The Mythos XTR-50s seemed very sharp and struggled mightily without a subwoofer, especially when listening to the Eagles. The Mythos Threes easily bested the XTRs without a subwoofer.

Comparison 2 - subwoofer
The Mythos 3s were a winner here. They just have the greatest depth in the vocals, and the musical instruments are very concise. The Mythos XTRs have the strongest vocals and highs. With the subwoofer on, the XTRs sound great and can keep up with the Mythos Threes, which is amazing considering the XTRs are 1/3 the depth of the Threes. But still the XTRs do seem a harsher than the Mythos Threes. The Mythos XTR-50s were starting to strain my ears.

In the end, I am returning the XTRs and sticking with the Mythos Threes
post #5719 of 5726 Old 07-15-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla View Post
The other day I was perusing the clearance section at Best Buy when I found a pair of Mythos XTR-50 speakers for 50% off open box. I decided to pick them up, even though I already have Mythos Three's on the wall.These speakers look fantastic and have a very high quality feel. The Piano black, matches most TVs very well. The speakers are extremely thin at 1.5". It looks great, but my TV with mount is 3.875". My Mythos Three's actually match the depth of my TV better at 4.125"

Sound Comparison:
For my test set up, I used my older Kenwood VR5700 amp, with Kenwood DV5700 DVD changer and a Energy ESW-C8 subwoofer(crossed at 110). I listened to Amy Grant's I will remember you, Alicia Keys Falling, and The Eagles Hotel California -acoustic

Comparison 1 - No subwoofer.
The Mythos Three vocals had a great depth to them. The instruments were concise and the Bass wasn't noticeably bad. The Mythos XTR-50s seemed very sharp and struggled mightily without a subwoofer, especially when listening to the Eagles. The Mythos Threes easily bested the XTRs without a subwoofer.

Comparison 2 - subwoofer
The Mythos 3s were a winner here. They just have the greatest depth in the vocals, and the musical instruments are very concise. The Mythos XTRs have the strongest vocals and highs. With the subwoofer on, the XTRs sound great and can keep up with the Mythos Threes, which is amazing considering the XTRs are 1/3 the depth of the Threes. But still the XTRs do seem a harsher than the Mythos Threes. The Mythos XTR-50s were starting to strain my ears.

In the end, I am returning the XTRs and sticking with the Mythos Threes
I am not surprised at the results. In wall speakers can sound pretty good but about 90% of the time the stand alone's perform better. In wall's do however blend in the room better and take no space. My personal preference is stand alone's.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
post #5720 of 5726 Old 07-16-2015, 08:25 AM

I think they are actually called "on-wall" speakers. In-wall speakers are the type where you cut a large hole in the wall to mount them. :-)

Regardless, thanks for the review. I've been trying to decide between these two types of speakers and your review helped me make my decision. (thumbs up)
post #5721 of 5726 Old 07-18-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I think they are actually called "on-wall" speakers. In-wall speakers are the type where you cut a large hole in the wall to mount them. :-)

Regardless, thanks for the review. I've been trying to decide between these two types of speakers and your review helped me make my decision. (thumbs up)
I knew the difference. I thought that was an in wall model. My bad.

Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
post #5722 of 5726 Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Oh, I had my friend listen to the set up as well. He preferred the Mythos XTRs because of its extreme clarity. Every instrument is distinct on the XTRs, and the missing mid-bass didnt bother him too much.

For me, I thought the Myhos XTR-50s were too clear. My ears strained after a short time. Plus the missing mid-bass was too noticeable for my tastes.

I also included my Athena AS-B2 bookshelves in the comparison. Back in the day, people reviewed my Athena AS-B2 speakers as bright. The Mythos 3's are brighter, and the XTRs are a lot brighter than both of those.
post #5723 of 5726 Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM

Thanks. That helps. I'm leaning toward Mytho's 9's or 10's for L/R/C. I like warm sounding speakers. (good mid-bass)
post #5724 of 5726 Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of Mythos STS at a good price <$2000. I'm considering placing them in the bedroom and moving the One's that are currently there to the living room as surrounds (replacing Two's). I could also keep the One's in the bedroom and use the STS as surrounds.

Has anyone used ST or STS as surrounds? If so, would they be much better than the Ones in this scenario? I'm curious if the powered sub gets much action in surround mode.

Also thinking about adding an SVS sub (probably an SB-13 Ultra) to augment the ST. I couldn't afford both the STS and an SVS sub, so was wondering which would make the most impact to my setup. I'm 70/30 Movies/Music.

Current Living Room Setup:
L/R - Mythos ST
Center - CS-8080HD
Surrounds - Mythos Two
Sub - none

Bedroom:
L/R - Mythos One
Center - Mythos Eight
Surrounds - none
Sub - none (but planning on adding one)

Thanks in advance for the advice!
post #5725 of 5726 Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xip Xero View Post
I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of Mythos STS at a good price <$2000. I'm considering placing them in the bedroom and moving the One's that are currently there to the living room as surrounds (replacing Two's). I could also keep the One's in the bedroom and use the STS as surrounds.

Has anyone used ST or STS as surrounds? If so, would they be much better than the Ones in this scenario? I'm curious if the powered sub gets much action in surround mode.

Also thinking about adding an SVS sub (probably an SB-13 Ultra) to augment the ST. I couldn't afford both the STS and an SVS sub, so was wondering which would make the most impact to my setup. I'm 70/30 Movies/Music.

Current Living Room Setup:
L/R - Mythos ST
Center - CS-8080HD
Surrounds - Mythos Two
Sub - none

Bedroom:
L/R - Mythos One
Center - Mythos Eight
Surrounds - none
Sub - none (but planning on adding one)

Thanks in advance for the advice!
If it were me I'd use the STS's as surrounds in the living room and put the Two's in the bedroom.
Then play with different connections for "all" the powered woofers (everything full range / all the subs as Subs / some of the subs as Subs ) just find which sounds best in your room until you can add stand alone Subs.
Since you don't have a Sub at all, plan for two if at all possible, with what you have, starting with a smaller single and adding a second later wouldn't be as noticeable as you think, but of course this will be room dependant.
(I'm old school and use powered woofers in all my positions and really feel that having the ability to cover full range, even with the surrounds, and stand alone Subs, adds to the experience.)

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; Yesterday at 11:47 PM.
post #5726 of 5726 Unread Today, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the advice!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page