Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 192 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5731 of 5741 Old 08-04-2015, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Does anyone know if Def Tech has any plans of making a center and surrounds to match the ST-L?

I am considering selling my STS, 9 and Gem setup and want the ST-L...Would like it if Def Tech had matching surrounds and center.
FantaXP7 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5732 of 5741 Old 08-04-2015, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
simp1yamazn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post
Does anyone know if Def Tech has any plans of making a center and surrounds to match the ST-L?

I am considering selling my STS, 9 and Gem setup and want the ST-L...Would like it if Def Tech had matching surrounds and center.
The last I heard from def tech (granted that was about 10 months ago) they did not have any plans to make specifically matching center or surrounds for the ST-L's.
simp1yamazn is online now  
post #5733 of 5741 Old 08-04-2015, 04:55 AM
Senior Member
 
blu-dog-avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post
Does anyone know if Def Tech has any plans of making a center and surrounds to match the ST-L?

I am considering selling my STS, 9 and Gem setup and want the ST-L...Would like it if Def Tech had matching surrounds and center.

Hang on to those, and go get some decent subs. The STS, ST, and ST-L models are all great full-range speakers, but if you want real bass, get a real bass machine.
blu-dog-avs is offline  
post #5734 of 5741 Old 08-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Member
 
upsetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post
Does anyone know if Def Tech has any plans of making a center and surrounds to match the ST-L?

I am considering selling my STS, 9 and Gem setup and want the ST-L...Would like it if Def Tech had matching surrounds and center.
According to their website - not but they give some recoemmendations what to use as a center channel - none of them being Mythos series speakers. ST-L seems intended to be a stereo-only speakers.

OPPO-105
Parasound Halo A23
Definitive Technology Mythos STS/Gems
upsetter is offline  
post #5735 of 5741 Old 08-04-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks for the responses guys. Ya I just was toying around with the idea of trying out something else. Every few years you tend to get that upgrade bug.

Too bad about no new center or surrounds. Oh well.
FantaXP7 is online now  
post #5736 of 5741 Old 08-04-2015, 09:55 PM
Member
 
dapala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Personally I think the One's are one of the best Mythos speakers ever produced (short of the ST-S or ST-L) but I've only heard the Fours one time so really couldn't say how much better, if it were me and you could use floor standers for your surrounds, I'd sell the Two's and use One's up front and Four's in back.
But don't pay $1500 for the One's unless you are only comfortable with NOS, One's go for les than $1000 on e-bay all the time and most people who bought them new tool really good care of them. (I recently bought a complete package, One's, a Three and Gem's on stands for les than $1k, just be patient)
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I waited and got mint Mythos Ones for $900 shipped. Did a hot swap with my Four's, and there's a huge difference. The Ones are so much fuller. Noticed exponentially with music. Movies are better, more balanced between all channels.

After calibration, no question that the Ones are bonafided front line speakers compared to the Four's that are upscale satellites.
dapala is offline  
post #5737 of 5741 Old 08-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapala View Post
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I waited and got mint Mythos Ones for $900 shipped. Did a hot swap with my Four's, and there's a huge difference. The Ones are so much fuller. Noticed exponentially with music. Movies are better, more balanced between all channels.

After calibration, no question that the Ones are bonafided front line speakers compared to the Four's that are upscale satellites.
Glad to hear it, what you're hearing now is why I'm such a proponent of Full sounding, as close to Full Range speakers as you can, for surrounds, the signal is there, why not try and reproduce it.

I'm using my One's along with a pair of Supercube III's, an Emotiva DAC & CD player, and a 2 pairs of bridged Marantz MA-500's, in a 2.2 configuration for music in my living room for music, I love the way they sound.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #5738 of 5741 Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
Member
 
Xip Xero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I wanted to post a follow up question to the one I asked on 7-21, but with a simpler scenario.

I'm wanting to build out my Mythos 5.1 system a bit. I currently have STs as L/R, CS-8080 as center and Mythos Twos as rears. No dedicated sub, using the STs subs currently. Living Room: 19.3’ L x 14.8’ W x ~10’ H, 2891 cubic feet

Which would be the best option/bang for the buck/most noticeable upgrade?

Option 1: Replace Mythos Twos as rears with STSs (~$1900)
Option 2: Leave as is and add and SVS Sealed sub. Either an SB-2000 ($799) or SB-13 Ultra ($1599)
Option 3: Move STs to the rear, purchase refurb ST-Ls for front L/R (~$2600)

Option 3 is a bit out of my budget, but an option if it really would make the biggest difference.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Last edited by Xip Xero; Yesterday at 03:02 PM.
Xip Xero is online now  
post #5739 of 5741 Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xip Xero View Post
Hello All,

I wanted to post a follow up question to the one I asked on 7-21, but with a simpler scenario.

I'm wanting to build out my Mythos 5.1 system a bit. I currently have STs as L/R, CS-8080 as center and Mythos Twos as rears. No dedicated sub, using the STs subs currently. Living Room: 19.3’ L x 14.8’ W x ~10’ H, 2891 cubic feet

Which would be the best option/bang for the buck/most noticeable upgrade?

Option 1: Replace Mythos Twos as rears with STSs (~$1900)
Option 2: Leave as is and add and SVS Sealed sub. Either an SB-2000 ($799) or SB-13 Ultra ($1599)
Option 3: Move STs to the rear, purchase refurb ST-Ls for front L/R (~$2600)

Option 3 is a bit out of my budget, but an option if it really would make the biggest difference.

Any advice is much appreciated!

I would go with option 2. Even going with the SB-13 Ultra you're still less than option 1 or 3 and you will be amazed at the difference a dedicated Sub makes.

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
post #5740 of 5741 Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xip Xero View Post
Hello All,

I wanted to post a follow up question to the one I asked on 7-21, but with a simpler scenario.

I'm wanting to build out my Mythos 5.1 system a bit. I currently have STs as L/R, CS-8080 as center and Mythos Twos as rears. No dedicated sub, using the STs subs currently. Living Room: 19.3’ L x 14.8’ W x ~10’ H, 2891 cubic feet

Which would be the best option/bang for the buck/most noticeable upgrade?

Option 1: Replace Mythos Twos as rears with STSs (~$1900)
Option 2: Leave as is and add and SVS Sealed sub. Either an SB-2000 ($799) or SB-13 Ultra ($1599)
Option 3: Move STs to the rear, purchase refurb ST-Ls for front L/R (~$2600)

Option 3 is a bit out of my budget, but an option if it really would make the biggest difference.

Any advice is much appreciated!
Option 2, sort of....
In your size room, as long as you have the room for them, I really think you'd benefit even more from a pair of SB2000's or PC2000 more than a single SB-13 Ultra.
A separate Sub will add to your experience, not only in the bass, but by allowing you to use your Fronts to their full potential as Full Range speakers. And adding two subs will even make the experience that much better by filling the room with a more even bass. At the very least I'd buy 1 of the 2000's and then add the other later. (IMO, let's say adding one Sub adds to the experience by 50%, adding a second will increase that by another 25-30%, 2 can make that much of a difference.)

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #5741 of 5741 Old Today, 12:20 PM
Member
 
Xip Xero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Option 2, sort of....
In your size room, as long as you have the room for them, I really think you'd benefit even more from a pair of SB2000's or PC2000 more than a single SB-13 Ultra.
A separate Sub will add to your experience, not only in the bass, but by allowing you to use your Fronts to their full potential as Full Range speakers. And adding two subs will even make the experience that much better by filling the room with a more even bass. At the very least I'd buy 1 of the 2000's and then add the other later. (IMO, let's say adding one Sub adds to the experience by 50%, adding a second will increase that by another 25-30%, 2 can make that much of a difference.)
Thanks @Maddmaster and @ALtlOff

I've decided to go with 1 SB-2000 for now. I'll probably add a second later or use their trade up for a SB-13U if I think I could still use more bass.

At the end of the day, I don't really want my walls to shake, just good, clean, tight (and musical) bass.

Thanks for the help!
Xip Xero is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off