Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 192 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
post #5731 of 5747 Unread 08-04-2015, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Does anyone know if Def Tech has any plans of making a center and surrounds to match the ST-L?

I am considering selling my STS, 9 and Gem setup and want the ST-L...Would like it if Def Tech had matching surrounds and center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5732 of 5747 Unread 08-04-2015, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post
Does anyone know if Def Tech has any plans of making a center and surrounds to match the ST-L?

I am considering selling my STS, 9 and Gem setup and want the ST-L...Would like it if Def Tech had matching surrounds and center.
The last I heard from def tech (granted that was about 10 months ago) they did not have any plans to make specifically matching center or surrounds for the ST-L's.
post #5733 of 5747 Unread 08-04-2015, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Hang on to those, and go get some decent subs. The STS, ST, and ST-L models are all great full-range speakers, but if you want real bass, get a real bass machine.
post #5734 of 5747 Unread 08-04-2015, 08:46 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

According to their website - not but they give some recoemmendations what to use as a center channel - none of them being Mythos series speakers. ST-L seems intended to be a stereo-only speakers.

OPPO-105
Parasound Halo A23
Definitive Technology Mythos STS/Gems
post #5735 of 5747 Unread 08-04-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Thanks for the responses guys. Ya I just was toying around with the idea of trying out something else. Every few years you tend to get that upgrade bug.

Too bad about no new center or surrounds. Oh well.
post #5736 of 5747 Unread 08-04-2015, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Personally I think the One's are one of the best Mythos speakers ever produced (short of the ST-S or ST-L) but I've only heard the Fours one time so really couldn't say how much better, if it were me and you could use floor standers for your surrounds, I'd sell the Two's and use One's up front and Four's in back.
But don't pay $1500 for the One's unless you are only comfortable with NOS, One's go for les than $1000 on e-bay all the time and most people who bought them new tool really good care of them. (I recently bought a complete package, One's, a Three and Gem's on stands for les than $1k, just be patient)
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I waited and got mint Mythos Ones for $900 shipped. Did a hot swap with my Four's, and there's a huge difference. The Ones are so much fuller. Noticed exponentially with music. Movies are better, more balanced between all channels.

After calibration, no question that the Ones are bonafided front line speakers compared to the Four's that are upscale satellites.
post #5737 of 5747 Unread 08-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapala View Post
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I waited and got mint Mythos Ones for $900 shipped. Did a hot swap with my Four's, and there's a huge difference. The Ones are so much fuller. Noticed exponentially with music. Movies are better, more balanced between all channels.

After calibration, no question that the Ones are bonafided front line speakers compared to the Four's that are upscale satellites.
Glad to hear it, what you're hearing now is why I'm such a proponent of Full sounding, as close to Full Range speakers as you can, for surrounds, the signal is there, why not try and reproduce it.

I'm using my One's along with a pair of Supercube III's, an Emotiva DAC & CD player, and a 2 pairs of bridged Marantz MA-500's, in a 2.2 configuration for music in my living room for music, I love the way they sound.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #5738 of 5747 Unread 08-24-2015, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I wanted to post a follow up question to the one I asked on 7-21, but with a simpler scenario.

I'm wanting to build out my Mythos 5.1 system a bit. I currently have STs as L/R, CS-8080 as center and Mythos Twos as rears. No dedicated sub, using the STs subs currently. Living Room: 19.3’ L x 14.8’ W x ~10’ H, 2891 cubic feet

Which would be the best option/bang for the buck/most noticeable upgrade?

Option 1: Replace Mythos Twos as rears with STSs (~$1900)
Option 2: Leave as is and add and SVS Sealed sub. Either an SB-2000 ($799) or SB-13 Ultra ($1599)
Option 3: Move STs to the rear, purchase refurb ST-Ls for front L/R (~$2600)

Option 3 is a bit out of my budget, but an option if it really would make the biggest difference.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Last edited by Xip Xero; 08-24-2015 at 03:02 PM.
post #5739 of 5747 Unread 08-24-2015, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xip Xero View Post
Hello All,

I wanted to post a follow up question to the one I asked on 7-21, but with a simpler scenario.

I'm wanting to build out my Mythos 5.1 system a bit. I currently have STs as L/R, CS-8080 as center and Mythos Twos as rears. No dedicated sub, using the STs subs currently. Living Room: 19.3’ L x 14.8’ W x ~10’ H, 2891 cubic feet

Option 2: Leave as is and add and SVS Sealed sub. Either an SB-2000 ($799) or SB-13 Ultra ($1599)

Option 3 is a bit out of my budget, but an option if it really would make the biggest difference.

I would go with option 2. Even going with the SB-13 Ultra you're still less than option 1 or 3 and you will be amazed at the difference a dedicated Sub makes.
blu-dog-avs likes this.

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
post #5740 of 5747 Unread 08-24-2015, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xip Xero View Post
Hello All,

Option 2, sort of....
In your size room, as long as you have the room for them, I really think you'd benefit even more from a pair of SB2000's or PC2000 more than a single SB-13 Ultra.
A separate Sub will add to your experience, not only in the bass, but by allowing you to use your Fronts to their full potential as Full Range speakers. And adding two subs will even make the experience that much better by filling the room with a more even bass. At the very least I'd buy 1 of the 2000's and then add the other later. (IMO, let's say adding one Sub adds to the experience by 50%, adding a second will increase that by another 25-30%, 2 can make that much of a difference.)

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #5741 of 5747 Unread 08-25-2015, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Option 2, sort of....
In your size room, as long as you have the room for them, I really think you'd benefit even more from a pair of SB2000's or PC2000 more than a single SB-13 Ultra.
A separate Sub will add to your experience, not only in the bass, but by allowing you to use your Fronts to their full potential as Full Range speakers. And adding two subs will even make the experience that much better by filling the room with a more even bass. At the very least I'd buy 1 of the 2000's and then add the other later. (IMO, let's say adding one Sub adds to the experience by 50%, adding a second will increase that by another 25-30%, 2 can make that much of a difference.)
Thanks @Maddmaster and @ALtlOff

I've decided to go with 1 SB-2000 for now. I'll probably add a second later or use their trade up for a SB-13U if I think I could still use more bass.

At the end of the day, I don't really want my walls to shake, just good, clean, tight (and musical) bass.

Thanks for the help!
post #5742 of 5747 Unread 08-27-2015, 08:09 PM

Liked: 15
As great as the Mythos ST are, they can't dig as deep as a dedicated subwoofer. I have had my Mythos setup for about 3 years now and here are a couple things I'd like to share:

1) A dedicated sub will definitely add a new dimension to both music and movies alike. It makes the experience more of a visceral one that you can feel beyond what the Mythos will give you. I thought my ST's sounded good without. Both woofers along with my subwoofer are outstanding. I also have a SVS subwoofer. I would highly recommend them. I too was on the fence with the SB13 Ultra but wanted a ported box. I still wonder at times ;-)

2) A dedicated power source will also breathe more life into your drivers of any/all your f=definitive speakers. Originally, I powered my system with a Yamaha AVR. I had read somewhere that adding a dedicated outboard amplifier to the pre outs of an AVR would improve sound quality and I was not disappointed when I added the power upgrade. I went to separates at that point and have never looked back.

Just a couple items in my search for the best sound quality I can find, at an affordable cost, that works best for me, with what I have...in my particular setup.

Definitive Technology Mythos ST Fronts, Definitive Technology Mythos 10 Center, Definitive Technology Mythos Gem XL Surrounds/Rear Surrounds, SVS PB 12 Plus Subwoofer, Integra DHC 80.2 Preamplifier/Processor, Sunfire TGA-7401 Amplifier, Oppo BDP 103 Universal Blu Ray Player, Xbox 360, PS3, Apple TV, Samsung UN75H6350 LED Smart TV
post #5743 of 5747 Unread 08-28-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottwhite1 View Post
As great as the Mythos ST are, they can't dig as deep as a dedicated subwoofer. I have had my Mythos setup for about 3 years now and here are a couple things I'd like to share:

1) A dedicated sub will definitely add a new dimension to both music and movies alike. It makes the experience more of a visceral one that you can feel beyond what the Mythos will give you. I thought my ST's sounded good without. Both woofers along with my subwoofer are outstanding. I also have a SVS subwoofer. I would highly recommend them. I too was on the fence with the SB13 Ultra but wanted a ported box. I still wonder at times ;-)

2) A dedicated power source will also breathe more life into your drivers of any/all your f=definitive speakers. Originally, I powered my system with a Yamaha AVR. I had read somewhere that adding a dedicated outboard amplifier to the pre outs of an AVR would improve sound quality and I was not disappointed when I added the power upgrade. I went to separates at that point and have never looked back.

Just a couple items in my search for the best sound quality I can find, at an affordable cost, that works best for me, with what I have...in my particular setup.
Did you consider ProMonitors 1000 or anything else for your surrounds instead of Gem XLs and what stand you put XLs on? ProMonitors drivers are the same as mid drivers i ST while Gems utilize old design.

OPPO-105
Parasound Halo A23
post #5744 of 5747 Unread 08-29-2015, 12:29 PM

No, I didn't really consider anything outside the Gem XL's. When I bought my system, it included the Gem XL. I added the second pair for rear surrounds much later. They perform quite well. I'm not sure if the monitors would sound "better" or not. It would be interesting to compare though. My rear surround pair are wall mounted while my side surrounds are on the matching Gem stands. It's not an ideal room but it works for what I need.
post #5745 of 5747 Unread 08-29-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottwhite1 View Post
No, I didn't really consider anything outside the Gem XL's. When I bought my system, it included the Gem XL. I added the second pair for rear surrounds much later. They perform quite well. I'm not sure if the monitors would sound "better" or not. It would be interesting to compare though. My rear surround pair are wall mounted while my side surrounds are on the matching Gem stands. It's not an ideal room but it works for what I need.
ProMonitors are direct radiating speakers while Gems are bipolar and have more dispersed sound which perfectly suited for surrounds. ProMonitor 1000 handles lower frequencies better since its driver is 5.25'' (compared with 4.25'' in XL) and it has passive radiator on top. Yes it would interesting to compare. I will compare when ready to sell Gems I have now.

Does Gem XLs match Gem stands well? I mean is the setup stable? Gems stands were designed for Gems and DefTech does not recommend mounting XLs on them since XLs are heavier and can easily tip over. Gems on stands look beautiful - very organic and wires and posts are out of sight. Promonitors do not look so pretty on their dedicated stands.

OPPO-105
Parasound Halo A23
post #5746 of 5747 Unread 08-29-2015, 08:37 PM

The Gem stands work very well and, indeed, are very attractive with the gloss black metal and clear glass base plate. I've had no issues with instability despite Def Tech's recommendations to avoid this for that very reason.

I decided to go Gem XL for al my surrounds for the very reason of increased dispersion with the driver arrangement. I am aware that the direct radiating monitors would likely be more accurate for movie surround codecs, hide ever, these work quite well in my current setup and I also usually run my music in All Channel Stereo mode so the increased doispersion is more applicable to my music listening. If I had about a grand to spare, I would love to make the swap do a comparison.
post #5747 of 5747 Unread Today, 08:52 AM

I finally put my front speakers Mythos STSs for sale FS: Pair of Definitive Technology Mythos STS speakers. - I am upgrading to ST-Ls. Eventually I will upgrade from Gems to Gem XLs or ProMonitors 1000 too. Thank you for sharing about your experience with XLs on Gem stands. I already have Gem stands and how stable they are with XLs on top will be a major factor in my decision.

OPPO-105
Parasound Halo A23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread