Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 194 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5791 of 5801 Old 01-17-2016, 06:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecohen View Post
Do you feel you should have dedicated subs with STS's? I was about to pull the trigger on a sub but is it worth it? The subs seem good in the STS's but am I missing something?

The short answer is yes. A separate Sub will make a huge difference. Depending on the room size one sub may be enough.

Definitive Technology:
Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 10
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5792 of 5801 Old 01-17-2016, 07:11 PM
Member
 
Shniks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecohen View Post
Do you feel you should have dedicated subs with STS's? I was about to pull the trigger on a sub but is it worth it? The subs seem good in the STS's but am I missing something?

You definitely will benefit having a separate sub (or two) with your Mythos STS speakers. I got the Mythos ST-Ls for my fronts and thought that would be enough for the bass in movies (including LFE). I was happy for the most part, but then started to experience issues with lower frequencies near reference output (65 dB to 75 dB). It seemed the ST-Ls struggled somewhat and were not giving me output similar to what my friends with dedicated subs had. BTW the same issue arose with my friend who had the GE Triton 1s. I decided to go ahead and get a dedicated sub and went with the JTR Captivator 1400. The difference was insane. Movies came alive, LFE/ low bass sounded spectacular and my ST-Ls too sounded much better.

Speaker manufacturers always exaggerate specs of their speakers. In the case of the ST-Ls and Triton 1s, their FR is supposed to go down to 15 Hz. However, that just isn't possible at SPL levels at or close to reference. My friend (with the Triton 1s) went with 2 Seaton sealed subs and is over the moon with the sound now. I too am now thrilled with the ST-Ls with the addition of a separate sub.

Bottom-line is that if you do like to watch movies, then you should definitely get a sub or two (which will also take a load off your receiver). Music normally doesn't go that low, so if your primary use for the STS is music, then they might suffice.


Cheers,

Nikhil
http://www.lihkin.net

Definitive Technology ST-Ls (Fronts), Definitive Technology CS8080HD (Center), Definitive Technology Gem XLs (Surrounds), Definitive Technology DI 6.5R (5.1.4 Atmos), JTR Captivator 1400, Denon X4200W, Onkyo M-5010 Amp, Onkyo C-7030
Shniks is offline  
post #5793 of 5801 Old 01-18-2016, 12:03 PM
Member
 
upsetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shniks View Post
You definitely will benefit having a separate sub (or two) with your Mythos STS speakers. I got the Mythos ST-Ls for my fronts and thought that would be enough for the bass in movies (including LFE). I was happy for the most part, but then started to experience issues with lower frequencies near reference output (65 dB to 75 dB). It seemed the ST-Ls struggled somewhat and were not giving me output similar to what my friends with dedicated subs had. BTW the same issue arose with my friend who had the GE Triton 1s. I decided to go ahead and get a dedicated sub and went with the JTR Captivator 1400. The difference was insane. Movies came alive, LFE/ low bass sounded spectacular and my ST-Ls too sounded much better.

Speaker manufacturers always exaggerate specs of their speakers. In the case of the ST-Ls and Triton 1s, their FR is supposed to go down to 15 Hz. However, that just isn't possible at SPL levels at or close to reference. My friend (with the Triton 1s) went with 2 Seaton sealed subs and is over the moon with the sound now. I too am now thrilled with the ST-Ls with the addition of a separate sub.

Bottom-line is that if you do like to watch movies, then you should definitely get a sub or two (which will also take a load off your receiver). Music normally doesn't go that low, so if your primary use for the STS is music, then they might suffice.


Cheers,
I run test tones on my ST-Ls and until freq reached to about 35 Hz I could not hear or feel anything. But for me it is perfectly okay - still much lower than STS a had.

Source/Dac/Pre: OPPO-105
Fronts: Benchmark AHB2 -> DefTech Mythos ST-Ls
Surrounds: Parasound Halo A23 -> DefTech Mythos Gems
upsetter is offline  
post #5794 of 5801 Old 01-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Member
 
Shniks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetter View Post
I run test tones on my ST-Ls and until freq reached to about 35 Hz I could not hear or feel anything. But for me it is perfectly okay - still much lower than STS a had.

That seems awfully off. So you heard nothing at all until the 35 Hz tones? If so, you are missing out with movies.


Cheers,

Nikhil
http://www.lihkin.net

Definitive Technology ST-Ls (Fronts), Definitive Technology CS8080HD (Center), Definitive Technology Gem XLs (Surrounds), Definitive Technology DI 6.5R (5.1.4 Atmos), JTR Captivator 1400, Denon X4200W, Onkyo M-5010 Amp, Onkyo C-7030
Shniks is offline  
post #5795 of 5801 Old 01-18-2016, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Anyone else have a "problem" with metal cabinets on the ST-L instead of wood?
New24K is offline  
post #5796 of 5801 Old 01-18-2016, 04:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Anyone else have a "problem" with metal cabinets on the ST-L instead of wood?
I have the ST's and experienced almost the same until I run cables to the LFE input from the Sub output on the PreAmp/Processor. The Bass then came alive. Adding a Sub still was a huge improvement. I have heard both the STS and ST in small rooms and they were great with strong Bass even on the very low end. So much depends on where they are placed, room size and configuration.

Definitive Technology:
Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 10
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
post #5797 of 5801 Old 01-19-2016, 09:46 AM
Member
 
upsetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shniks View Post
That seems awfully off. So you heard nothing at all until the 35 Hz tones? If so, you are missing out with movies.


Cheers,
I have smaller living room and have no problem with bass. I watched "Jurassic World" yesterday and the whole room was shaking - sound track was not realistic by any means. For music there is much more bass than needed so I trimmed SW pre out by -3db. For big room it probably may not have enough energy to shake things up but I never tried it.

In any case, freq response is measured here:
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/ind...nts&Itemid=153

As you can see after 30hz it goes steeply down. There is still some 20Hz but with too little pressure.

Source/Dac/Pre: OPPO-105
Fronts: Benchmark AHB2 -> DefTech Mythos ST-Ls
Surrounds: Parasound Halo A23 -> DefTech Mythos Gems
upsetter is offline  
post #5798 of 5801 Old 01-25-2016, 06:08 PM
Senior Member
 
dkyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Mythos Upgrade time. Need advice!

Hi All,

I have the Mythos 1s now for Front L and Rs and looking to upgrade to Mythos 10s. Is this an upgrade or will it be a parallel move? If it's not a big upgrade, maybe I should move to the STS towers? It would just be nice to move off the floor and wall mount, but not if it's not an upgrade. I bought an 8080HD for Center(Upgrading from a Mythos 3).

I also have PM 800s for my surround L/R and Surround Rear L/R speakers. Should I upgrade those to Bipolars? I'm looking for a more immersive sound all around. Currently 7.1, with an old HSU VTF-3 MK2 12" sub.

Thanks all!

DK

Last edited by dkyork; 01-25-2016 at 06:14 PM.
dkyork is online now  
post #5799 of 5801 Old 01-26-2016, 12:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkyork View Post
Hi All,

I have the Mythos 1s now for Front L and Rs and looking to upgrade to Mythos 10s. Is this an upgrade or will it be a parallel move? If it's not a big upgrade, maybe I should move to the STS towers? It would just be nice to move off the floor and wall mount, but not if it's not an upgrade. I bought an 8080HD for Center(Upgrading from a Mythos 3).

I also have PM 800s for my surround L/R and Surround Rear L/R speakers. Should I upgrade those to Bipolars? I'm looking for a more immersive sound all around. Currently 7.1, with an old HSU VTF-3 MK2 12" sub.

Thanks all!

DK
The One's are pretty bright sounding in comparison to the Ten's. The Ten's are much milder on the high end. If you really like the One's you will miss them. The STS or ST would be a better move as far as an upgrade.

As far as surrounds it's a personal preference. They aren't as critical.

Definitive Technology:
Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 10
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
post #5800 of 5801 Old 01-27-2016, 07:01 AM
Senior Member
 
dkyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
The One's are pretty bright sounding in comparison to the Ten's. The Ten's are much milder on the high end. If you really like the One's you will miss them. The STS or ST would be a better move as far as an upgrade.

As far as surrounds it's a personal preference. They aren't as critical.
I bought the 8080hd for center and will try that with my mythos 1s. If I need to, I'll upgrade to the Sts for l and r.

Thanks!
dkyork is online now  
post #5801 of 5801 Old Today, 06:10 PM
Member
 
KASOFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shniks View Post
You definitely will benefit having a separate sub (or two) with your Mythos STS speakers. I got the Mythos ST-Ls for my fronts and thought that would be enough for the bass in movies (including LFE). I was happy for the most part, but then started to experience issues with lower frequencies near reference output (65 dB to 75 dB). It seemed the ST-Ls struggled somewhat and were not giving me output similar to what my friends with dedicated subs had. BTW the same issue arose with my friend who had the GE Triton 1s. I decided to go ahead and get a dedicated sub and went with the JTR Captivator 1400. The difference was insane. Movies came alive, LFE/ low bass sounded spectacular and my ST-Ls too sounded much better.

Speaker manufacturers always exaggerate specs of their speakers. In the case of the ST-Ls and Triton 1s, their FR is supposed to go down to 15 Hz. However, that just isn't possible at SPL levels at or close to reference. My friend (with the Triton 1s) went with 2 Seaton sealed subs and is over the moon with the sound now. I too am now thrilled with the ST-Ls with the addition of a separate sub.

Bottom-line is that if you do like to watch movies, then you should definitely get a sub or two (which will also take a load off your receiver). Music normally doesn't go that low, so if your primary use for the STS is music, then they might suffice.


Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetter View Post
I run test tones on my ST-Ls and until freq reached to about 35 Hz I could not hear or feel anything. But for me it is perfectly okay - still much lower than STS a had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shniks View Post
That seems awfully off. So you heard nothing at all until the 35 Hz tones? If so, you are missing out with movies.


Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Anyone else have a "problem" with metal cabinets on the ST-L instead of wood?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
I have the ST's and experienced almost the same until I run cables to the LFE input from the Sub output on the PreAmp/Processor. The Bass then came alive. Adding a Sub still was a huge improvement. I have heard both the STS and ST in small rooms and they were great with strong Bass even on the very low end. So much depends on where they are placed, room size and configuration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetter View Post
I have smaller living room and have no problem with bass. I watched "Jurassic World" yesterday and the whole room was shaking - sound track was not realistic by any means. For music there is much more bass than needed so I trimmed SW pre out by -3db. For big room it probably may not have enough energy to shake things up but I never tried it.

In any case, freq response is measured here:
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/ind...nts&Itemid=153

As you can see after 30hz it goes steeply down. There is still some 20Hz but with too little pressure.

I also ran into a problem with the bass and my ST-L's at reference levels. They are great speakers but you simply can't get the LFE out of an "all in one" design. Initially I had my LFE out running into the ST-L's but since I added my two Submersive's I went to traditional banana plugs. The idea being to utilize the crossover in my processor and NOT send frequencies to the ST-L's that they can't handle. Unless I am missing something if you feed the LFE signal into the Mythos your crossover only effects what you send to the tweeters and the midrange and ALL bass below that point goes to the built in Mythos subs whereas going straight banana plugs with a separate sub allows you to send signals down to 40HZ (or higher) to the ST-L's and everything below that point to your dedicated sub. For me, the difference is night and day. Then again, I will probably be deaf by the time I am 60....at least according to my wife!

My System:
KASOFO is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off