Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 195 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #5821 of 5844 Old 03-15-2016, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASOFO View Post
I also ran into a problem with the bass and my ST-L's at reference levels. They are great speakers but you simply can't get the LFE out of an "all in one" design. Initially I had my LFE out running into the ST-L's but since I added my two Submersive's I went to traditional banana plugs. The idea being to utilize the crossover in my processor and NOT send frequencies to the ST-L's that they can't handle. Unless I am missing something if you feed the LFE signal into the Mythos your crossover only effects what you send to the tweeters and the midrange and ALL bass below that point goes to the built in Mythos subs whereas going straight banana plugs with a separate sub allows you to send signals down to 40HZ (or higher) to the ST-L's and everything below that point to your dedicated sub. For me, the difference is night and day. Then again, I will probably be deaf by the time I am 60....at least according to my wife!
Hi Every one,

I actually wanted to know if you had any trouble or issues with the Mythos ST-L as there are few comments in different website about the drivers in this model, specially the subwoofer part. Every time I look at this video on youtube showing the broken passive subwoofer, it makes me hesitant to complete my purchase although I love the look of these Mythos Super Towers 

Also, I am confused of which center channel will match the 4 Mythos ST-L's I am planning to purchase (2 in front and 2 surrounds) .. I thought that the CS 8080 HD will work but it won’t be a perfect match since it uses midrange drivers more similar to those in their BP series so what about the Mythos 9 (the 10 is not available at the distributer in my area). Also, for the back surrounds i was thinking of SR8080 or mythos Gem XL but I noticed in all the reviews they are recommending the SR8080 which might go with the CS 8080 HD. 
I am not sure how these different speakers will match or sound with the Mythos ST-L's. (Your opinions please) ...

The Second setup I am thinking of will be the KEF R700, 4 towers (again the R900 is not currently available) with R600 for the center channel and R800ds for the surround back. Perhaps i will ad the R50 later next year for the Dolby Atmos or i might go for in-ceiling speakers, but not at the moment.

i've also noticed that the KEF is more popular and has a lot of mixed reviews, some are recommending the R700 more than the R900 and some prefer the R500 more.

Any of these systems will have 2 SVS SB13-Ultra subwoofers (7.2) whither it was the Definitive Technology Mythos ST-L's or the KEF's.

one more question, will i will be able to get good base from the Mythos along with the two separate subwoofers ?? and will it also produce bass in the surround towers or not really ?? I have no idea !!

Unfortunately i can't demonstrate any of these systems as they are not on display so i won't be able to compare the sound myself, and i cant't return it after making the purchase, that's why i am asking your advise.

I currently have Onkyo TX-NR 5010 AVR rated at 150 watt per channel, 9 channels amplifier but i am planing to go for the Marantz processor AV 8802A with the Marantz MM8077 power amplifier next year. 

So do you think the current Onkyo will be ok for the KEF or the Mythos.

I hope to receive your reply soon.

Thanks a lot in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5822 of 5844 Old 03-15-2016, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hany Kabeel View Post
Hi Every one,

I actually wanted to know if you had any trouble or issues with the Mythos ST-L as there are few comments in different website about the drivers in this model, specially the subwoofer part. Every time I look at this video on youtube showing the broken passive subwoofer, it makes me hesitant to complete my purchase although I love the look of these Mythos Super Towers 

https://youtu.be/c_cTB_3HrYo

Also, I am confused of which center channel will match the 4 Mythos ST-L's I am planning to purchase (2 in front and 2 surrounds) .. I thought that the CS 8080 HD will work but it won’t be a perfect match since it uses midrange drivers more similar to those in their BP series so what about the Mythos 9 (the 10 is not available at the distributer in my area). Also, for the back surrounds i was thinking of SR8080 or mythos Gem XL but I noticed in all the reviews they are recommending the SR8080 which might go with the CS 8080 HD. 
I am not sure how these different speakers will match or sound with the Mythos ST-L's. (Your opinions please) ...

The Second setup I am thinking of will be the KEF R700, 4 towers (again the R900 is not currently available) with R600 for the center channel and R800ds for the surround back. Perhaps i will ad the R50 later next year for the Dolby Atmos or i might go for in-ceiling speakers, but not at the moment.

i've also noticed that the KEF is more popular and has a lot of mixed reviews, some are recommending the R700 more than the R900 and some prefer the R500 more.

Any of these systems will have 2 SVS SB13-Ultra subwoofers (7.2) whither it was the Definitive Technology Mythos ST-L's or the KEF's.

one more question, will i will be able to get good base from the Mythos along with the two separate subwoofers ?? and will it also produce bass in the surround towers or not really ?? I have no idea !!

Unfortunately i can't demonstrate any of these systems as they are not on display so i won't be able to compare the sound myself, and i cant't return it after making the purchase, that's why i am asking your advise.

I currently have Onkyo TX-NR 5010 AVR rated at 150 watt per channel, 9 channels amplifier but i am planing to go for the Marantz processor AV 8802A with the Marantz MM8077 power amplifier next year. 

Thanks a lot in advance
I'm not sure how others feel, but I think a full range speaker used for surround sound is a waste. Most of the surround audio is for effect and is reflections. I'd invest in good mid size speakers for surround (side and/or back).

As far as ST-L Bass; I would not depend on them either to output super low or loud Bass. One or two separate subs is the way to go. I still run ST fronts. My configuration is One separate Sub fed by the LFE output. The 2nd LFE output I had split and running to the ST LFE input which works pretty well.

Definitive Technology:Front Height - Mythos Gem
Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 10 & 8
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref & SVS SB13 Ultra
There can never be enough music
post #5823 of 5844 Old 03-15-2016, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Hi Every one,

Thanks a lot in advance
Count me in for one that believes a full range surround is a waste. Then again they're my ears not yours. You already have some beastly subs why waste the money/floor space. It also depends on your listening habits/hookup. If you run just speaker wire to all and use internal xovers the surrounds won't be getting much use unless your running 7 channel stereo or something similar. You would have to run lfe to all in my opinion to be able to justify the subs in the surrounds. That might sound good. I run speaker level to my fronts and lfe to my 1 sub. I actually listen to music in stereo with no sub, to me it sounds better. I have the older ST and they get the job done. I ran a setup similar albeit not as high end back in the day. 7.2 with polk rti8's all around, csia5 center , and dual psw505, for the investment it sounded great. In hindsight the full/fuller towers for sides and rears to me were a total waste, again to my ears. The only time they got use was in party mode aka 7 channel, but even then it was just loud. So back to the point I am happy with large towers up front small surrounds and separate subs. I would save the cash but it's not my ears/bank account. Hope I helped any questions feel free to pm me. Oh and there are some mythos tens on ebay.

Last edited by WhiteJ; 03-15-2016 at 10:38 AM.
post #5824 of 5844 Old 03-16-2016, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Hi Every one,

Thanks a lot in advance
Thank you for the video. I sometimes though vary rarely hear something like that from right ST-L. I did not notice any damage to bass radiator, I thought it was touching grill at some frequency. I have to take more careful look what is going on. difficult to reproduce though. Still ST-L is an excellent speaker as well as R900. I would go with small speakers for rear and surrounds, there are not much happening over there. Or bookshelf. 100-120 hz crossover is enough for surround/rear speakers. Nothing matches mid/high driver from ST-L.

Source/Dac/Pre: OPPO-105
Fronts: Benchmark AHB2 -> DefTech Mythos ST-Ls
Surrounds: Parasound Halo A23 -> DefTech Mythos Gems
post #5825 of 5844 Old 03-16-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

I haven't ever heard of a speaker brand that didn't make a few lemons or a user hooking up a crappy amp to 10.

Quote:
Also, I am confused of which center channel will match the 4 Mythos ST-L's I am planning to purchase (2 in front and 2 surrounds)
Any chance you could get 3 ST-L's (that assumes you have a transparent screen you can hide it behind)?

Quote:
If you're in the "can't return after purchase" world of electronic sales, you should be getting a killer price. I know Def Tech is running a sale on the bipolar 8000 series, but they might be running a sale on the Mythos ST-L's as well. I recently saw a pair for only $3,600, for some March Madness sale.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #5826 of 5844 Old 03-17-2016, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post
I haven't ever heard of a speaker brand that didn't make a few lemons or a user hooking up a crappy amp to 10.

Any chance you could get 3 ST-L's (that assumes you have a transparent screen you can hide it behind)?

If you're in the "can't return after purchase" world of electronic sales, you should be getting a killer price. I know Def Tech is running a sale on the bipolar 8000 series, but they might be running a sale on the Mythos ST-L's as well. I recently saw a pair for only $3,600, for some March Madness sale.
Thank you all for your reply to my concerns and please go through the following setups and let me know your feedback and advise :

Setup 1:

(2) Mythos ST-L (Front ) I am getting them new for a very good deal around 2600 USD.
CS 8080 HD for the Center ... for 535 USD
(2) Mythos Gem XL Surrounds ... Thank you for the advise .. it will save me money 600 USD including the stands
(2) SR 8080 for the back surrounds ... 430 USD

as for the Subwoofer, the showroom manager is offering me a choice of the following: (I need you opinion about both)

Earthquake MKVI-15 Piano Black .... 1650 USD
OR
Paradigm Sub 15 ... 1800 USD with PBK 1

Total setup 7.1 with earthquake (5815 USD) or with Paradigm sub 15 (5965 USD).

Setup 2:

(2) KEF R900 ... 2130 USD OR KEF R700 ... 1720 USD for the front
R600 Center Speaker ... 700 USD
(2) KEF R500 (Surrounds) ... 1330 USD
(2) R800DS Dipole ... 865 USD

Total for the speakers only: with R900 (5025 USD) or with R700 (4615 USD) without the subwoofers cost.

I will have to wait for the 2 SVS SB13-Ultra subwoofers to arrive at the store and i have no idea how much it will cost but i guess it will be around 1700 USD for 2.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with me
post #5827 of 5844 Old 03-17-2016, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
for the Subwoofer, the showroom manager is offering me a choice of the following: (I need you opinion about both)

Earthquake MKVI-15 Piano Black .... 1650 USD
OR
Paradigm Sub 15 ... 1800 USD with PBK 1
Last year, being a Paradigm owner, I would have said the Paradigm. But the dealer I bought them from stopped carrying them, so I went in and asked why, and he said QC issues. I would probably pick the one with the best warranty.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #5828 of 5844 Old 03-19-2016, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Hi Every one,

Thanks a lot in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
I'm not sure how others feel, but I think a full range speaker used for surround sound is a waste. Most of the surround audio is for effect and is reflections. I'd invest in good mid size speakers for surround (side and/or back).

As far as ST-L Bass; I would not depend on them either to output super low or loud Bass. One or two separate subs is the way to go. I still run ST fronts. My configuration is One separate Sub fed by the LFE output. The 2nd LFE output I had split and running to the ST LFE input which works pretty well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJ View Post
Count me in for one that believes a full range surround is a waste. Then again they're my ears not yours. You already have some beastly subs why waste the money/floor space. It also depends on your listening habits/hookup. If you run just speaker wire to all and use internal xovers the surrounds won't be getting much use unless your running 7 channel stereo or something similar. You would have to run lfe to all in my opinion to be able to justify the subs in the surrounds. That might sound good. I run speaker level to my fronts and lfe to my 1 sub. I actually listen to music in stereo with no sub, to me it sounds better. I have the older ST and they get the job done. I ran a setup similar albeit not as high end back in the day. 7.2 with polk rti8's all around, csia5 center , and dual psw505, for the investment it sounded great. In hindsight the full/fuller towers for sides and rears to me were a total waste, again to my ears. The only time they got use was in party mode aka 7 channel, but even then it was just loud. So back to the point I am happy with large towers up front small surrounds and separate subs. I would save the cash but it's not my ears/bank account. Hope I helped any questions feel free to pm me. Oh and there are some mythos tens on ebay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetter View Post
Thank you for the video. I sometimes though vary rarely hear something like that from right ST-L. I did not notice any damage to bass radiator, I thought it was touching grill at some frequency. I have to take more careful look what is going on. difficult to reproduce though. Still ST-L is an excellent speaker as well as R900. I would go with small speakers for rear and surrounds, there are not much happening over there. Or bookshelf. 100-120 hz crossover is enough for surround/rear speakers. Nothing matches mid/high driver from ST-L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

I have had no issues with my ST-L's whatsoever and I love them! Keep in mind my two Seaton F2 Submersive's do 80% of the heavy lifting when it comes to bass and LFE. In regard to center and surround speakers, I was told by Def Tech the best matches would be the CS8080 center and SR8080's for surrounds. The match wonderfully and I am very happy with them. Hope this helps!

Marantz 7702MKII Processor
B & K 200.7 Amp and Emotiva XPA-3 Amp
Oppo 103 BDP-Blu-Ray, Monster 5100MKII Power Cond.
Def-Tech Mythos St-L Towers L+R, Def-Tech CD8080-HD Center, Def-Tech SR8080-BP Surrounds (4)
Seaton Submersive F2+ and F2 Slave Subs
post #5829 of 5844 Old 04-28-2016, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,

stupid question but I just bought a pair of mythos gem and they came with the bracket to mount them to the wall but I cannot figure out how to put them to the wall using those brackets, anyone care to give me a hint there? thanks a ton
post #5830 of 5844 Old 04-28-2016, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No picts and I use mine on stands but here is the link to the manual.

http://www.definitivetech.com/downlo...12609_read.pdf
post #5831 of 5844 Old 04-28-2016, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Le View Post
Hi guys,

stupid question but I just bought a pair of mythos gem and they came with the bracket to mount them to the wall but I cannot figure out how to put them to the wall using those brackets, anyone care to give me a hint there? thanks a ton
It's actually pretty easy. Much depends on the type of wall and whether or not you are hiding the wire in the wall. My Avatar shows the Gems mounted as Height Speakers. Post more details and I will try to help.

Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
post #5832 of 5844 Old 05-06-2016, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm looking to move to an on-wall or in-wall setup for TWF*. I have floor standing Mythos Four's right now. Has anyone found a good way to wall-mount these, or is there another speaker that can be wall-mounted with similar performance/quality? Thanks.

*The Wife Factor
post #5833 of 5844 Old 05-19-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Wow, this thread is dead...

Interested in the ST-L.

I have read some people's reviews stating that they don't care for the sound...

What exactly is the ST-L sound?

Bright, warm, flat, ?
post #5834 of 5844 Old 05-19-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post

Interested in the ST-L.

Bright, warm, flat, ?
I would describe is as a clean and undistorted compared with ST/STS. It sounds right for the price compared with similarly priced speakers. Actually it is better to read reviews because ordinary people cannot compare many different speakers side by side on same equipment. Warm/bright or not - depends of amp.

post #5835 of 5844 Old 05-19-2016, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post

Interested in the ST-L.

Bright, warm, flat, ?
Owning the ST paired with a Denon 3808, they are to my ear on the brighter side. It really depends on the quality of the source material. They don't mask the sound. Although not the STL I think they sound similar.
post #5836 of 5844 Old 05-23-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetter View Post
I would describe is as a clean and undistorted compared with ST/STS. It sounds right for the price compared with similarly priced speakers. Actually it is better to read reviews because ordinary people cannot compare many different speakers side by side on same equipment. Warm/bright or not - depends of amp.
This is the best review I read online:
http://www.soundstageaccess.com/inde...r-loudspeakers

To understand how much better is ST-L compared with ST/STS take a look at distortion level in measurements made by the same website:

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/ind...nts&Itemid=153

post #5837 of 5844 Old 09-05-2016, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Surround: Mythos One vs STS vs SR-9080/8080

I need a little help with my surround speakers. I currently have Mythos Ones as surrounds to a front pair of ST and CS8080 and an SVS SB-13 Ultra for the sub. One of my drivers in the right rear One is distorting and needs to be replaced.

I've enjoyed the Ones as surrounds but now may consider a change. My living room is fairly large 19'x15' and has a very high ceiling. My surrounds are placed about 4' behind my listening position and facing the ST.

I'm open to suggestions, but here are my options:

1. Fix or replace the one Mythos One and keep on trucking (~$60-$600)
2. Replace the Ones with 2008 STS (CL deal for $800 for the pair)
3. Buy new SR-9080 or 8080 ($700 new, $550 used or less if I found a deal on 8080s)
4. Gem XLs (but hearing these might not deliver as well as the SR-9080s)

Money isn't really the issue as much as I'd like to get the best sounding surround that will match the ST and CS8080. One other wrinkle, I might move up to the ST-L at some point, so would prefer the surrounds work well with them too (I'm guessing they would since the ST-L don't have a perfect match yet)

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Xip Xero; 09-05-2016 at 10:52 AM.
post #5838 of 5844 Old 09-05-2016, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Where are you located? I had a mythos one that died and had to buy a pair so I have a spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xip Xero View Post
I need a little help with my surround speakers. I currently have Mythos Ones as surrounds to a front pair of ST and CS8080 and an SVS SB-13 Ultra for the sub. One of my drivers in the right rear One is distorting and needs to be replaced.

I've enjoyed the Ones as surrounds but now may consider a change. My living room is fairly large 19'x15' and has a very high ceiling. My surrounds are placed about 4' behind my listening position and facing the ST.

I'm open to suggestions, but here are my options:

1. Fix or replace the one Mythos One and keep on trucking (~$60-$600)
2. Replace the Ones with 2008 STS (CL deal for $800 for the pair)
3. Buy new SR-9080 or 8080 ($700 new, $550 used or less if I found a deal on 8080s)
4. Gem XLs (but hearing these might deliver as well as the SR-9080s)

Money isn't really the issue as much as I'd like to get the best sounding surround that will match the ST and CS8080. One other wrinkle, I might move up to the ST-L at some point, so would prefer the surrounds work well with them too (I'm guessing they would since the ST-L don't have a perfect match yet)

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!
post #5839 of 5844 Old 09-05-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post
Where are you located? I had a mythos one that died and had to buy a pair so I have a spare.
I'm in Phoenix, AZ
post #5840 of 5844 Old 09-05-2016, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xip Xero View Post
I'm in Phoenix, AZ
I'm super interested to hear what people suggest. I have almost the same set and situation as you but my surrounds are uiw rss ii and my back surrounds are gem xl. I'm not overwhelmed with the gems and thought about the 8080s.
post #5841 of 5844 Old 09-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post
I'm super interested to hear what people suggest. I have almost the same set and situation as you but my surrounds are uiw rss ii and my back surrounds are gem xl. I'm not overwhelmed with the gems and thought about the 8080s.
Reading what you have I would fix the Mythos One's. Once you are use to the One's (the crisp/brightness of the mids and highs) not much else will satisfy you. Every Mythos after those were sort of tamed/softened when it comes to the highs. You can call DefTech if you need any of the drivers and they will send them to you. That is if you are handy with doing your own repairs.

Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
post #5842 of 5844 Old 09-06-2016, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Reading what you have I would fix the Mythos One's. Once you are use to the One's (the crisp/brightness of the mids and highs) not much else will satisfy you. Every Mythos after those were sort of tamed/softened when it comes to the highs. You can call DefTech if you need any of the drivers and they will send them to you. That is if you are handy with doing your own repairs.
Update. I had to follow my own advice. I wiped out a driver in my Center Mythos 10. DefTech is awesome to deal with. Customer service is sending me a replacement driver. My experience has been they stand behind their products 100 percent.

Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
post #5843 of 5844 Old 09-08-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Update. I had to follow my own advice. I wiped out a driver in my Center Mythos 10. DefTech is awesome to deal with. Customer service is sending me a replacement driver. My experience has been they stand behind their products 100 percent.
Fixing the Ones is a good idea. My dealings with DefTech support have always been excellent!

That said, I went ahead and bought the STS :-) Couldn't help myself at $800 for the pair. They sound great in my limited time with them so far.

Once the Ones are fixed, I'll either put them back and move the STS to the bedroom or vise versa.

Thanks for the input!
post #5844 of 5844 Old 09-21-2016, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Update: The Center Mythos Ten is back up and running. Strangely the original driver is still in place on the right side. The left now has been replaced twice. I also found the small stab on connections on both driver extremely loose which I took care of while inside the cabinet.

Too hopefully avoid wiping out another driver I installed my Mythos Eight under the Ten and will run both the sametime for the center.

Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page